HT of the Month: Humble Hangout - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 121Likes

post #121 of 152 Old 08-14-2014, 10:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 10
nicely done...congrats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 152 Old 08-15-2014, 03:35 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

Oh yea, I'm quite familiar with JB. I've seen him in concert too. Very soulful guitarist who lives and breaths the blues. He probably excels at the acoustic even more than the electric though; other than Tommy Emmanuel I've never seen anyone play an acoustic like Joe. Check out this one...

JB
Absolutely love both JB and Tommy Emmanuel, haven't seen them live yet but seriously thinking of going to see Tommy when he comes to Glasgow in January next year. He also sounds great on my HT so dread to think how awesome it would be on Andrews.

Excellent job
Gorilla83 likes this.

7.1 IIz heightsOnkyo Tx-nr626 a/v receiver
Boston acoustics soundware xs se surrounds and Sub
Boston acoustics A360 Floorstanders with A25 bookshelf Centre.
Youview box, PS3, Apple TV
post #123 of 152 Old 08-15-2014, 05:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHowitHurtz View Post
i guess people have different definitions of fortune.
i'm debating whether to spend 2k on a new tv or not....that's a fortune to me. But over 13k isn't to some people....like Bill Gates.
No doubt is a substantial amount of money for me as well to spend on a hobby! Fortunately most of that was spread over the couple of years we spent building it. And some of the costs were offset by some very fortunate buying/trading. I don't regret ANY of it though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsterzero2001 View Post
nicely done...congrats
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve119 View Post
Absolutely love both JB and Tommy Emmanuel, haven't seen them live yet but seriously thinking of going to see Tommy when he comes to Glasgow in January next year. He also sounds great on my HT so dread to think how awesome it would be on Andrews.

Excellent job
Thanks, Steve!
post #124 of 152 Old 08-19-2014, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Way to go man! Congrats on HToM. You deserve it!

Been meaning to say congrats earlier. Always enjoy reading your posts and DIY projects.

JBL Pro Cinema
GO MANCHESTER UNITED!!
post #125 of 152 Old 08-20-2014, 04:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddig View Post
Way to go man! Congrats on HToM. You deserve it!

Been meaning to say congrats earlier. Always enjoy reading your posts and DIY projects.
Thanks! Look forward to some new projects coming soon.
Reddig likes this.
post #126 of 152 Old 08-20-2014, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post
Thanks! Look forward to some new projects coming soon.
Right on man! Looking forward to it. Gunna be starting some DIY 18" Marty Subs myself hopefully soon.

JBL Pro Cinema
GO MANCHESTER UNITED!!
post #127 of 152 Old 08-21-2014, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member

New toy added to the room this week - Sony 55ES Got it hung last night - impressive right out of the box. More play time tonight and this weekend.

post #128 of 152 Old 08-21-2014, 12:57 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 49
LOVE IT! Right around the corner from me and every time I go over there it is so very impressive. Haven't had a chance to see the latest upgrades but will definitely be checking it out sometime soon. Love thinking that when it comes time to a full HT build at my home the knowledge is right down the street for me. Someday....
Gorilla83 likes this.
post #129 of 152 Old 08-21-2014, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 137 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked: 1298
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebEffect View Post
I'm confused about a home theater based around an Epson projector being featured. Wasn't this supposed to be Home Theater of the Month and not "Office Powerpoint Presentation of the Month"?

Quote:
New toy added to the room this week - Sony 55ES Got it hung last night - impressive right out of the box. More play time tonight and this weekend.

Is that how it works? Some random loser posts an undeserved insult in the build thread and the insulted item gets replaced?

Just like that? Magic? Santa? Anonymous Benefactor?

Hey @WebEffect,
If it really works like that - come into my build thread and insult something quick!

popalock and Gorilla83 like this.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
post #130 of 152 Old 08-21-2014, 03:51 PM
Ace of Bass

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 1756 Post(s)
Liked: 1405
I think my procurement of the 4910 and subsequent discussions with Rilla had a little more to do with it Even though I told him I thought his image was just fine, even before all the "Black Out" work

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

HT seats for sale!
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/211-ac...seat-rows.html
Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread
post #131 of 152 Old 08-21-2014, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
If it really works like that - come into my build thread and insult something quick!
Must...resist...the...urge, must...resist...the...urge, must...resist...the...urge.
Archaea likes this.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #132 of 152 Old 08-22-2014, 05:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Is that how it works? Some random loser posts an undeserved insult in the build thread and the insulted item gets replaced?

Hey @WebEffect,

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
I think my procurement of the 4910 and subsequent discussions with Rilla had a little more to do with it Even though I told him I thought his image was just fine, even before all the "Black Out" work
Ha! Beast is correct. He is ultimately to blame as we've been chatting for several weeks regarding projectors. We really are terrible influences on each other - our entire group of friends on here. I wouldn't blame our wives one bit if they banned us from communicating with each other.

With that said, I can't say I'm unhappy with the decision.
Sibuna likes this.
post #133 of 152 Old 08-22-2014, 05:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post
Must...resist...the...urge, must...resist...the...urge, must...resist...the...urge.
The force is strong!
post #134 of 152 Old 08-22-2014, 05:10 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHowitHurtz View Post
i guess people have different definitions of fortune.
i'm debating whether to spend 2k on a new tv or not....that's a fortune to me. But over 13k isn't to some people....like Bill Gates.
There are sections on this website for lower cost solutions. I don't think members go there and taunt them about how much they spend. If 2K is a fortune to you, don't spend it on a TV, save it for retirement so we don't have to foot the bill.

See My System Here

"Wolves don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep."
post #135 of 152 Old 08-22-2014, 05:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Quote:
Ha! Beast is correct. He is ultimately to blame as we've been chatting for several weeks regarding projectors. We really are terrible influences on each other - our entire group of friends on here. I wouldn't blame our wives one bit if they banned us from communicating with each other.
I like this!

its true, its someone else's fault I now have a 24" subwoofer behind my couch
post #136 of 152 Old 08-22-2014, 05:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibuna View Post
I like this!

its true, its someone else's fault I now have a 24" subwoofer behind my couch
Yea, not only is he an instigator he's also a facilitator now. D@mn CNC machine...

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #137 of 152 Old 08-22-2014, 07:19 AM
Ace of Bass

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 1756 Post(s)
Liked: 1405
I am just going to start blaming you guys for EVERYTHING.... A package showed up yesterday evening after M and I had both gotten home from work and she got all excited when the guy dropped it off. She drug it inside and was all "What is it, what is it?" As soon as she flipped the box to the label all I heard, in a depressive mood was, "Oh, it's from parts express..Blah." At which point I was all like

YEA! IT CAME EARLY! How exciting! Lol.
carp likes this.

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

HT seats for sale!
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/211-ac...seat-rows.html
Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread
post #138 of 152 Old 08-26-2014, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 995 Post(s)
Liked: 1363
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post
This one was long overdue. Very nice job Andrew and thanks for all you do for the AVS community. You are one of the unselfish good guys and have built a Theater that easily meets the better than any commercial theater test. Hope I get to expierence it someday.
Why did you miss the Jan GTG again? I don't recall getting the low down on the last minute bail???

Quote:
Originally Posted by javanpohl View Post
Damn, I disappointed to see that the LCRs weren't DIY. I am starting to contemplate building a DIY set of higherer-end speakers. I basically want Triad Golds but... cheaper. The speakers he's got there cost just about as much as the Golds do. Bummer
For the price that Gorilla paid for his Yorks, one would be hard pressed to DIY the same performance from a similar price point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebEffect View Post
I'm confused about a home theater based around an Epson projector being featured. Wasn't this supposed to be Home Theater of the Month and not "Office Powerpoint Presentation of the Month"?
Damn, I'm late to the party on this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeamdman View Post
Congrats!

The reviews in your GTG threads are what led me to buying the same Yorkville speakers without hearing them first. No regrets!
luke! When did you get Yorks? How come I've never seen them in your space? Where the hell do you have room for them in that insane front stage of yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Yep that disks sound quality is amazing.
Everything Trent Reznor touches is golden in my book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
A lil' birdie just told me this thread will lead the AVS email newsletter that's going out shortly. Looking forward to a mini burst in traffic here. Congrats again!
Why am I never on these newsletters? Can someone add me to the distro list or something?

Quote:
How are you liking this guy so far?

Last edited by popalock; 08-27-2014 at 05:13 AM.
post #139 of 152 Old 08-26-2014, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post

luke! When did you get Yorks? How come I've never seen them in your space? Where the hell do you have room for them in that insane front stage of yours?
I've only had them for a few months. Check out my HT build thread in my signature. I've pretty much finished my new HT room with the exception of the ceiling panels. Well... I still need to finish the speaker stands for the Yorks...
post #140 of 152 Old 08-26-2014, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
For the price that Gorilla paid for his Yorks, one would be hard pressed to DIY the same performance from a similar price point.
Without actually saying how much (unless I missed it) everyone seems to be implying that he got a steal on these things. That's good for him and all but I don't see how that helps anyone else. It's not exactly like the used market is overrun with these things, which is going to keep prices high. The one used pair I was able to find on eBay (even including recent transactions, of which there were none) is going for $1,549 per speaker.

Let's say he got them at the screaming price of $750 a speaker (half of what I've seen them for). You're telling me you can't DIY the equivalent of these speakers for $750 a piece?

Edit: OK, I did think this was just a straight-forward 2X15, horn-loaded tweeter thing, but I was doing some reading on that horn. It's pretty ridiculous... there are four drivers in there?? That's not just something you can throw together. I'm starting to see why this thing is so pricey.

Last edited by javanpohl; 08-26-2014 at 08:44 AM. Reason: additional info
post #141 of 152 Old 08-26-2014, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Without actually saying how much (unless I missed it) everyone seems to be implying that he got a steal on these things. That's good for him and all but I don't see how that helps anyone else. It's not exactly like the used market is overrun with these things, which is going to keep prices high. The one used pair I was able to find on eBay (even including recent transactions, of which there were none) is going for $1,549 per speaker.

Let's say he got them at the screaming price of $750 a speaker (half of what I've seen them for). You're telling me you can't DIY the equivalent of these speakers for $750 a piece?

Edit: OK, I did think this was just a straight-forward 2X15, horn-loaded tweeter thing, but I was doing some reading on that horn. It's pretty ridiculous... there are four drivers in there?? That's not just something you can throw together. I'm starting to see why this thing is so pricey.
The 15" drivers are of very high quality 18sounds models, the compression driver is a BMS4550, and I believe the mids are 4 X celesions. Some pretty nice components overall, a rigid cabinet, and the crossover design for this would have been beyond my current ability. I believe they can be had for 1600 shipped, new, with the premium finish. With some shopping around and I'm sure even new they could be had a bit cheaper.

Last edited by Gorilla83; 08-26-2014 at 10:00 AM.
post #142 of 152 Old 08-26-2014, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 995 Post(s)
Liked: 1363
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Quote:
Quote:

Sure, you could get in the same ballpark SPL wise, and not trying to replicate the point source HF/MF design, but if you could get these for the price you stated, why bother. Regardless, even paying $1,500ish for a 130+db capable speaker isn't that bad of a deal at all...

FWIW, Gorilla has already built a pair DIYSG Fusion-15 Sentenials... That performance would be tough to beat at roughly $400 per speaker.
post #143 of 152 Old 08-26-2014, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

There are some on CL in my area right now for $599 per U215...

So far that's the cheapest I've ever seen any go for, but they do look fairly worn cosmetically.
post #144 of 152 Old 08-26-2014, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 494 Post(s)
Liked: 184
You could probably fix em up pretty quick and easy by sanding and a couple coats of duratex. Unless you mean the driver's are worn.
post #145 of 152 Old 08-26-2014, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassment View Post
You could probably fix em up pretty quick and easy by sanding and a couple coats of duratex. Unless you mean the driver's are worn.
These have the carpeted finish.

I'm not out to buy any more, though!
post #146 of 152 Old 08-26-2014, 01:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:

Hey @WebEffect,

Heh heh heh ha ha

See My System Here

"Wolves don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep."
post #147 of 152 Old 08-27-2014, 04:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

How is liking this guy so far?
It's really nice! We've been fortunate to get the little guy to sleep early the past few nights, so had some opportunity to put some hours on it. Really bright, sharp picture with excellent contrast. I'd say to date the BIGGEST difference was going all black on the ceiling and the front portion of the walls, but the new projector is certainly a welcomed addition and improvement.
post #148 of 152 Old 09-02-2014, 08:17 AM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Never to late to say congrats to my "CNC brotha" for the recognition
post #149 of 152 Old 09-02-2014, 08:23 AM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 26
On the right side of the theater, you have 2 windows.

Are those treated any different or just with shades/blinds?
post #150 of 152 Old 09-17-2014, 11:57 AM
d_c
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 364
Hey, congrats on HTOTM! So I'm a little late... What are you changing with the subs at the screen wall? Is that still in the works?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Community News & Polls

Tags
frontpage

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page