Forum Jump: 

Old 08-04-2014, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1676 Post(s)
Liked: 3026
HT of the Month: Humble Hangout

Andrew Schutsky's humble basement hangout is proof that a top-notch home theater does not have to cost a fortune to build.

My first visit to the home theater of Andrew Schutsky (Gorilla83), located in Thornton, Pennsylvania, took place almost two years ago; it was my first AVS get-together. That visit included a subwoofer showdown, which is where I learned exactly how obsessed some AVS members are with accurate, full-range bass reproduction. When I recently paid a visit to Andrew, it was to see the fruits of all his recent labor. With his focus on maximum performance for the dollar, Andrew achieved a level of quality in his system that remains elusive to many audio/videophiles, even in some home theaters that cost significantly more to build. Furthermore, Andrew produced all of it without having to demolish the finished basement he inherited when he bought his house.

When discussing his design goals, Andrew said, "My primary objective was to provide a comfortable viewing area for my family and friends to watch movies, TV shows, and sporting events. My room and system were designed to provide very high performance levels on as low a budget as possible. From the feedback of the many AVS members that have visited so far, that goal was met successfully. "

As Andrew tells it, the theater itself had no planning phase per se. Instead, it evolved in an organic fashion, all of it documented on AVS forum in Andrew's build thread. "My system may be an exception; I wasn't starting from an empty space or room; I inherited a finished basement when we moved into this house almost four years ago. I've been making changes—drastic and tiny—almost monthly after we got settled in. My build thread outlines the journey from a few years back."

The space before Andrew built a theater. The system included a 65-inch Mitsubishi DLP HDTV and a Polk Monitor 70 speaker system.

After about a year, the old system came out, and construction of the theater began.

Although Andrew did not opt to demolish the existing finished basement and build from scratch, he did take care to optimize the visual and acoustical environment. Most of that work happened over the past couple of years. According to Andrew, "The first major overhaul occurred about a year or so after we moved in. In a two-year period, I've taken my theater space from a highly reflective and undesirable environment in terms of acoustics and light control to one that rivals top-notch theaters while maintaining a normal living area."

Andrew took a DIY approach to many elements of his home theater, including speakers, subwoofers, sound treatments, and the screen itself. In terms of both form and function, his theater provides a fully immersive experience. When it comes to sound reproduction, I enjoyed what I heard in Andrew's theater so much, it serves as a reference for me—even when compared to some of the megabucks stereo and surround-sound systems I've listened to at CEDIA, CES, and various high-end shows.

Building the theater involved stuffing a lot of sound-insulation material behind the drywall and above the drop ceiling—Andrew used up to 2 feet of insulation in some areas. The ceiling itself is made of Certainteed Theater Black F ceiling tiles. I like how his false front wall incorporates an acoustically transparent screen. The wall stays in place using magnets, making it easy to access the formidable stack of speaker components hidden behind it. The materials and techniques Andrew used to tame the room's acoustics are effective and relatively inexpensive to deploy—namely, rigid and semi-rigid fiberboard sound insulation for DIY acoustical treatments such as bass traps and sound-absorbing panels.

There is up to 2 feet of insulation above the drop ceiling, and even more insulation behind the screen.

The DIY approach paid off handsomely when it came to the final material cost, which Andrew estimates at $3500 in supplies. In addition, judicious selection of equipment kept his AV-electronics costs down to approximately $13,000. I have encountered systems that cost 10 times as much and more, yet do not have the precision, clarity, and dynamic impact of Andrew's system. "99% of my room—including some of the speakers, subs, treatments—was DIY," he says. "The only item that I contracted out was the carpet installation on my riser. "

As with any home-theater project, there were challenges to go along with the rewards. I asked how he met those challenges. "My wife can attest that I am my own worst critic!" he laughed. "I have a passion for learning, and this has been very good and very bad—the more I learn, the more I want to improve the room, setup, and equipment. I've gone from a basic room that sounded 'pretty good' using commercial equipment, to going nutso in the DIY arena. This includes constructing an entire building outside to house a CNC [computer numerical control] milling machine and full workshop."

Andrew enjoys the fruits of his labor, noting, "After every change, the first listen is always SO satisfying. Some of my favorite additions included adding the riser, the four dual-opposed 18" subs, and the AT screen."

Four dual-opposed subwoofers add up to eight 18" drivers. That's a rarefied amount of deep-bass capacity—just the sort of subwoofer arsenal you would typically find in a large movie theater. Thanks to the use of a sealed configuration in the dual-opposed cabinets, these subs can play down to single-digit hertz at above-reference levels. I've honestly never heard commercial subs do what Andrew's subs can do; he is part of an elite group of AVS DIYers whose systems have no practical limitations reproducing the entire audible audio spectrum as well as the infrasonic frequencies that lie below it.

A peek at the tower of audio power that currently resides behind the acoustically transparent screen.

In addition to the subs behind the screen, Andrew recently added a nearfield sub containing two more 18" drivers, located just behind the riser.

Andrew's attention to detail doesn't come as a surprise when you consider his profession—he works in IT, supporting the entire manufacturing process at a pharmaceutical company. He is also a family man, happily married for over four years. He has an 11-month-old son, and the family enjoys the company of their pet, a three-year-old retriever/shepherd mix.

It's amazing to see how Andrew transformed his basement into a top-notch home theater. The best part is that he's not done evolving his theater. As impressive as his theater is today, I'm also excited to see what comes next. For example, at a recent mini get-together, Andrew mentioned that he is thinking of rebuilding his behind-screen subwoofer enclosures.

I spent a lot of time discussing the sound system, because Andrew's theater achieves rarefied levels of audio fidelity. However, home theater is also about the viewing environment, and this room does not disappoint when it comes to providing an immersive visual experience. Since my last visit, the most-marked improvement was going all black on the ceiling. Now, thanks to the improved light absorption, his 135-inch 16:9 Seymour AV Center Stage XD acoustically transparent screen displays an enviable degree of contrast and color pop when lit up by his Epson 8700UB projector. The performance of this room is a reminder of the value of acoustical treatments and controlled lighting when it comes to creating a high-quality viewing and listening experience.

Now, the Humble Hangout is a home theater worth bragging about. Photo by Mark Henninger

You could say that I'm more familiar with Andrew's home theater than any other aside from my own. That's because I've spent many hours there listening to some of the finest sounding music and demoing movies that looked and sounded fantastic. In fact, I've used his theater as a proving ground for my own DIY subwoofers and my current speakers—thanks to the AVS get-togethers he hosts on a regular basis. Andrew is always open to audio experimentation, and he shares everything he does with the community in threads such as this one about the recent mini get-together, which was really about saying goodbye to one of the gang, Austin Haylock (popalock), whose home theater was the first-ever AVS HToM.

Assembling a DIY subwoofer enclosure at a recent get-together. Photo by Mark Henninger

I'm a sucker for any system that achieves elite performance at a mere fraction of high-end prices. In fact, I love to find high-performance systems that cost less than the sales tax on high-end systems of similar capability. Thanks to his DIY creations, Andrew is in a rarefied club of AVS members whose home theater systems look and sound just as good as some of the best pro designs I've experienced. Needless to say, I look forward to his future upgrades and to any future potential get-togethers. Andrew's humble basement home-theater hangout is well worth the trip.

For much more detail about how Andrew's home theater came together, check out the build thread here. If you are not familiar with the world of DIY audio, you might be surprised at how much knowledge you'll find in that community.

If you'd like your home theater considered for HT of the Month, PM Scott Wilkinson or me with the details and a link to your build thread if available.

EQUIPMENT LIST

Sources

Oppo BDP-93 Blu-ray player
Roku 3 streamer
Sony PS3 game console
Verizon FIOS HD STB
Samsung model n120 netbook (video and display for tweaking EQ and measuring room)

AV Electronics

Denon AVR-4311CI receiver (currently used in pre-pro mode)
Sherbourn A7-350 7-channel power amplifier (mains and surrounds)
Peavey IPR2 7500 power amps for dual-opposed subwoofers (2)
Behringer Inuke 6000 for nearfield subs

Projector

Epson PowerLite Pro Cinema 8700UB

Screen

Seymour AV Center Stage XD (135", 16:9, 1.1 gain, acoustically transparent fabric, grommet tensioning system, Fidello Triple black velvet edges, DIY frame)

Processors

MiniDSP 10x10 digital EQ

Speakers

Yorkville U215B (LCR)
JBL 8340A (2, surrounds)
DIY SEOS 10 hybrid (2, surrounds)
DIY subwoofers (8 Stereo Integrity 18" drivers in 4 dual-opposed 7.5 cubic foot enclosures
DIY nearfield subwoofers (2 Stereo Integrity 18" drivers in one front-firing 8 cubic foot enclosure)

AV Cabling

Monoprice and Mediabridge cabling, speaker wire

Control

Logitech Harmony Touch
DIY relay boxes to trigger power amps on/off

Power Conditioning

Panamax max 4400 20A power-conditioning boxes (2)

Seating

Raymour and Flanigan recliners (3 front row, 3 in second row)
DIY riser (9' wide, 7' deep)

Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forum on Twitter
+1 AVS Forum on Google+

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com

Last edited by imagic; 08-04-2014 at 06:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2014, 06:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Very nice!
imagic and Gorilla83 like this.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Congratulations @Gorilla83 - well deserved!

I've not come across your thread before, but really look forward to reading through it tonight.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Old 08-04-2014, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Wow that was fast! Photos on Saturday and write-up on Monday.

I for one was very impressed with the current state of his theater. No telling where it will go in tbe future.

Current Gear: PJ – BenQ PE7700; Receiver - Onkyo TX-SR805; Blu Ray - OppoBDP 103; Turntable - Dual CS-515 w/ Ortofon Super OM10; Amplifiers - OdysseyKhartago, Adcom GFA555, QSC RMX 1850HD; PEQ - Behringer FBD2496 [Near FieldSub], miniDSP 2×4 [Flanking Subs], REW; Speakers - 4 Pi (w/B&C DE250/JBL2226H) × 3 [LCR], Yamaha Crap × 2 [surrounds], Exodus Audio Maelstrom-X18" sealed sub [near field sub], LAB-12 based ported sub tuned to 22 Hz x2 [flanking subs, XO set at 40 Hz]
Old 08-04-2014, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 563
I would love to do something like this but it's just not in the cards. My 'theater' looks a lot like the before pics!

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."

--Carl Sagan
Old 08-04-2014, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 398
Mark - a huge thanks goes out to you for getting this whipped up in such a short timeframe. It's an honor to be in the spotlight for a few minutes, but I only have the members on here to thank as I've gained massive amounts of knowledge and friendships on here. I consider my room to represent to my journey into top levels of AV, something that will always be evolving.

And thanks to everyone for the kind words so far!
Old 08-04-2014, 11:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Amazing theater room Andrew!!! You've got one jealous admirer over here in ATL :-)

I have the exact same type of room in my basement with identical drop ceiling tiles. How the heck do you keep the drop tiles and ceiling in general not to rattle and make noise when you have hard hitting bass? Trying to figure out an inexpensive way to accomplish that in my theater room.
Gorilla83 likes this.

Old 08-05-2014, 05:38 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Beautiful
Gorilla83 likes this.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JewDaddy View Post
Amazing theater room Andrew!!! You've got one jealous admirer over here in ATL :-)

I have the exact same type of room in my basement with identical drop ceiling tiles. How the heck do you keep the drop tiles and ceiling in general not to rattle and make noise when you have hard hitting bass? Trying to figure out an inexpensive way to accomplish that in my theater room.
Thanks! Are you using the fiberglass type Theater tiles? The lightweight tiles (fiberglass) don't rattle at all against my grid. Another thing to check is your can lights - I have mine wrapped in sound deadening material (cheap stuff from Lowes) to get rid of other resonance. It's pretty much dead quiet in the room now - with the occasional wall rattling on the super heavy 40-50hz hits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcapprotti View Post
Beautiful
Thank you!
Old 08-05-2014, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Congrats Andrew. Having been to your place twice(although you have made changes), I can say that you have one very impressive HT. I like the use of space and think it has a very nice layout. Plus, the SPL you get is simply insane. But in a good way. And all around your theater looks and sound great so again, congrats.
Gorilla83 likes this.

It ain't easy being green.
My System
Old 08-05-2014, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Congrats Andrew!
Gorilla83 likes this.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:36 AM
Say No to Auto EQ

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 858 Post(s)
Liked: 973
Quote:
Originally Posted by JewDaddy View Post

The additional weight of all the stuffing he put above the grid also helps tremendously. I have done the same in my space and it did wonders

Congrats Mr. Rilla! Awful proud of ya with this accomplishment Those of you that don't know Andrew are missing out. A class act to follow (if you even can with the HT upgrades). I love our conversations bouncing ideas off each other and consider you not only a benchmark to follow, but a great friend indeed!
Archaea, imagic, NWCgrad and 1 others like this.

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 117
congratulations on the HT of the month. Great job, love the color scheme and overall it looks really good! Wish I could hear those Yorks too!
imagic likes this.

Pre-Pro: Emotiva XMC-1, DSP: Mini DSP 2x4 balanced
Amplifier: Sunfire TGA7400, Lab Gruppen FP10000Q
Speakers: JTR Noesis 212HT (LCR), JTR Slant 8's (surrounds), 3 Orbit Shifter LFU's
Sources: PS3, HTPC, Dish Network
Projector: Epson 8350
Screen: Seymour XD AT 138" diagonal 16:9
Old 08-05-2014, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post
Plus, the SPL you get is simply insane. But in a good way.
This is so very true, Pretty positive that Metallica at +18 over ref is the loudest thing ive ever heard inside a house that did not sound awful. simply an amazing amount of headroom there
imagic likes this.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Congrats and beautiful room!!!
imagic likes this.

Old 08-05-2014, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibuna View Post
This is so very true, Pretty positive that Metallica at +18 over ref is the loudest thing ive ever heard inside a house that did not sound awful. simply an amazing amount of headroom there
OK. now +18 over ref is just silly. Really, I have to put my foot down somewhere . But really, I know the few times I was there I think we pushed +10 and even that was crazy. I can't imagine the speakers and power needed to get to that level. The speakers were those custom SEOS right? I may need to find the places where the speakers and subs are described again just to see what Andrew is running.
imagic likes this.

It ain't easy being green.
My System
Old 08-05-2014, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Congrats Andrew! Loving my Peavy 7500 (thanks to you)!!!
imagic likes this.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:42 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Very nice theater! Thanks, Mark, for a great HTOM selection. Great article.
imagic likes this.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post
Congrats Andrew. Having been to your place twice(although you have made changes), I can say that you have one very impressive HT. I like the use of space and think it has a very nice layout. Plus, the SPL you get is simply insane. But in a good way. And all around your theater looks and sound great so again, congrats.
Thanks Mike, appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klipsch View Post
Congrats Andrew!
Thanks Justin! Looking forward to having you over again soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
The additional weight of all the stuffing he put above the grid also helps tremendously. I have done the same in my space and it did wonders

Congrats Mr. Rilla! Awful proud of ya with this accomplishment Those of you that don't know Andrew are missing out. A class act to follow (if you even can with the HT upgrades). I love our conversations bouncing ideas off each other and consider you not only a benchmark to follow, but a great friend indeed!
Thanks B! We've developed quite a community on here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrown105 View Post
congratulations on the HT of the month. Great job, love the color scheme and overall it looks really good! Wish I could hear those Yorks too!
Thank you! I'm sure you're already in audio nirvana with the 212's they are a great speaker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigham16 View Post
Congrats and beautiful room!!!
Thanks Bigham!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibuna View Post
I've never had cranked it quite to that level before. My adrenaline got the better of me and just kept going until the receiver's knob was tapped out, heh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauleyc View Post
Congrats Andrew! Loving my Peavy 7500 (thanks to you)!!!
Glad you are enjoying, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToonMasterTim View Post
Very nice theater! Thanks, Mark, for a great HTOM selection. Great article.
Thanks Tim!
imagic likes this.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:33 AM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 399
This one was long overdue. Very nice job Andrew and thanks for all you do for the AVS community. You are one of the unselfish good guys and have built a Theater that easily meets the better than any commercial theater test. Hope I get to expierence it someday.
Gorilla83 likes this.

HToM

"Well, la di fricken da."!
Old 08-05-2014, 09:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 41
One thing Andrew should add to his HT setup, is a Crowson Tactile Motion System for his recliners.
Gorilla83 likes this.

Benq W1080ST DLP 3D Projector
Sony BDP-S5200 3D Blu-ray Player
Denon X4000 Receiver
Pioneer SP-FS52 Tower Speaker x 4
Pioneer SP-C22 Center Channel Speaker
PSA XS15se Subwoofer x 2
Old 08-05-2014, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post
This one was long overdue. Very nice job Andrew and thanks for all you do for the AVS community. You are one of the unselfish good guys and have built a Theater that easily meets the better than any commercial theater test. Hope I get to expierence it someday.
Thanks Rob - comments like these hold a lot of weight coming from you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat4843 View Post
One thing Andrew should add to his HT setup, is a Crowson Tactile Motion System for his recliners.
No need for transducers with the nearfield subs I'm running now - there is plenty of tactile feedback on command now.

Dual 18" SI enclosure for nearfield use

I may add something for the first row next, but at this point it would just be overkill.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Very nice room. I went the black pit route, but your room seems more family friendly.

DIY masking.

James Reid:D
Old 08-05-2014, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked: 657
Just saw this, awesome! Well deserved rilla. Nice setup man.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:08 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Painting

What color was your paints grey and black.?
Old 08-05-2014, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

[quote=cardoski;26310937]Very nice room. I went the black pit route, but your room seems more family friendly.

Thanks. It's funny - initially I was concerned about doing the ceiling black since we use the room quite a bit for watching football with friends over and thought it might be too "cave" like. So far it's working out quite well all around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post
Just saw this, awesome! Well deserved rilla. Nice setup man.
Thank you sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSaved View Post
What color was your paints grey and black.?
Sherwin Williams Harbor Grey and the black I forget the name but it is the deepest black they carry.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:23 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Congratulations and well deserved. Also, always someone who answers PM's and offers advice. Much appreciated.
Archaea and Gorilla83 like this.

Equipment: Denon AVR-4520, Fusion Tempest (LCR), Fusion Alchemy (4xSurrounds+Wides+Heights),15" Dayton Ultimax X 4, SMX 2.35:1 Screen
Theater Build
DIY Speaker / Sub Build
Old 08-05-2014, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I may have missed this information, but what are the dimensions of the basement?
Old 08-05-2014, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
It would be helpful to post room dimensions.

Tags
frontpage