Do You Prefer Subscription or Pay-Per-Title Streaming? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

View Poll Results: Do You Prefer Subscription or Pay-Per-Title Streaming?
Subscription 187 67.27%
Pay per title 47 16.91%
I don't use streaming services 44 15.83%
Voters: 278. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 15Likes

post #1 of 66 Old 11-21-2014, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked: 3355
Do You Prefer Subscription or Pay-Per-Title Streaming?

Two business models offer streaming consumers a choice of how they want to pay for the content. Which do you prefer?

As you might expect, most readers of AVS Forum strongly prefer the quality of Blu-ray over the convenience of online streaming. I share this preference, but I still find streaming to be useful for non-critical watching or things that aren't available on disc.

Streaming services provide content using one of two business models—a flat monthly subscription fee for unlimited access to their entire library (e.g., Netflix and Hulu Plus) or paying for each title you watch (e.g., Vudu and iTunes). Which approach do you prefer?

Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forum on Twitter
+1 AVS Forum on Google+

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 66 Old 11-21-2014, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Subscription. Easier to pay monthly than to have multiple charges show up over a month. Easier to monitor the bank account the service draws from too. I like Amazon Prime because there is only a single yearly charge. I have probably went a whole month without streaming programs on Amazon, but I still feel like I come out ahead at the end of the year because I'll watch tons of stuff during the winter months.
Djoel likes this.

Denon AVR X7200WA, Emotiva XPR-5, Emotiva XPA-7, Sony XBR 75" 850C, Oppo BDP-103D, Roku 4.
DefTech BP7000SC (L/R), CLR3000 (C), SM55 (FH), UIW BPZ/A (SB), UIW 75 (TM).
JBL L7 (Sur), EoSone RSR 350 (RH).

PC 2.1 setup. Emotiva Stealth 6, SVS SB2000 sub, Emotiva DC-1 DAC.
post #3 of 66 Old 11-21-2014, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 152
I voted subscription because I do subscribe to Netflix. Vudu and others are just to expensive when I can rent the BR from Redbox for $1.25 and get the best quality picture available and more important is the lossless audio (with the exception of a few titles from the likes of Lionsgate and others that omit the 7.1 tracks from their rentals). So I will only use a streaming service as a last resort. I only have Netflix because its such a good deal and a good way to catch up on older TV shows commercial free.
Nexgen76 and Shane43 like this.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Home Theater, Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Denon 1912 AVR, 7.1 with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 10TB DroboFS NAS
post #4 of 66 Old 11-21-2014, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Subscription is the way to go, I only use Netflix so that's the only Subscription I pay for. Anything looks like pay per epi, and things like that.

Are their other type Subscription base payment beside Amazon, and Netflix ?

Djoel

My sacd collection Speaker: Ascend Tower RAAL, Horizon RAAL center, Tower NrT rears
Display: Samsung PN64D7000
Source: Oppo 105D, HTPC Haswell 16TB Jriver 21, Tivo Premier, Apple TV2g ,Roku 4
Power Management :Panamax M5300-PM
post #5 of 66 Old 11-21-2014, 01:59 PM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Subscription for sure.

I recently got the Google Nexus Player and have been streaming movies I don't want to buy on Blu-Ray and that aren't on Netflix or Hulu.

So, I see the appeal of both. But, I by far rather just pay one monthly subscription rather than several charges.
post #6 of 66 Old 11-21-2014, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 86
I'm stuck in the middle because I have netflix, but I also use Vudu when titles are not available on netflix or redbox.
post #7 of 66 Old 11-21-2014, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Neither, I prefer to own my content and have it available for immediate playback, so I'm using Kaleidescape's download service at the Kaleidescape Store. Also allows for far better control of the movies we watch.
dargo and Aryn Ravenlocke like this.
post #8 of 66 Old 11-21-2014, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post
Two business models offer streaming consumers a choice of how they want to pay for the content. Which do you prefer?

As you might expect, most readers of AVS Forum strongly prefer the quality of Blu-ray over the convenience of online streaming. I share this preference, but I still find streaming to be useful for non-critical watching or things that aren't available on disc.

Streaming services provide content using one of two business models—a flat monthly subscription fee for unlimited access to their entire library (e.g., Netflix and Hulu Plus) or paying for each title you watch (e.g., Vudu and iTunes). Which approach do you prefer?
I'm the same way I do a lot of non-critical watching or things that aren't available on disc. The flat month subscription works best. Paying for content (VOD) is mostly a redub of what is available on Blu-ray/DVD, which doesn't interest me, especially buying the HD VOD from these online video services which I see as a non equivalent inferior product to acquire compared to flexability and quality of physical media such as Blu-ray discs.

Oppo Beta Group
post #9 of 66 Old 11-21-2014, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Subscription. At least in that case they can't grab any additional money on compulsive purchasing movies that the pay-per-title companies often get.
post #10 of 66 Old 11-21-2014, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 127
I subscribe to Netflix (Blu-ray disks, not streaming), rent at redbox, won't do streaming - too low a quality. The pay-per-view streaming is too expensive.

I would pay a premium for top quality streaming (or download) - so that quality could be as good as blu-ray or better with eventual 4K.
post #11 of 66 Old 11-21-2014, 03:03 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I subscribe to Netflix and rent from Redbox. I've never paid Vudu to watch a movie but I do have a bunch of movies on my Vudu account through Ultraviolet and even though I prefer BD, occasionally I'll watch a random movie via Vudu on my Samsung Smart TV.
post #12 of 66 Old 11-21-2014, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 85
They're two totally different models, with different content. I voted subscription, because I use it more (Netflix), but they aren't the same thing. I have Netflix, Amazon Prime, and I rent from Amazon (usually) as well as iTunes and Vudu. Hulu Plus is kind of pointless. They complement each other, and don't compete. Heck, Amazon is in both worlds at the same time with their services.

It's not one or the other, it's both/all. I figure I want to rent movies anyway, and it's easiest to rent them through streaming means, I like a lot of the content on Netflix, so that's worth it, and Amazon Prime Video is free with Amazon Prime, so I end up with a wide range of sources for my content.
post #13 of 66 Old 11-21-2014, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Vudu all the way.
ToggleInc likes this.
post #14 of 66 Old 11-21-2014, 05:50 PM
Weary Enthusiast

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I prefer a monthly subscription so I can consume without concern, but I know it promotes binge-watching, which means the individual content owners get less revenue. This makes them less interested in participating.

I don't know why more titles are not available for streaming. Now that rental stores are almost extinct, I would expect the companies who own the rights to catalog back-titles to be interested in a replacement revenue stream. Any content that's already on DVD is only a few minutes away from being 'stream-ready'.

WHATTHEDILEO
Some people LOVE MUSIC.
Some people LOVE the SOUND of music.
If you don't know the difference, then you LIKE MUSIC.
My slow-cooking 11.4 channel Theater Room quest
post #15 of 66 Old 11-21-2014, 05:56 PM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 120
I voted no streaming. I guess I am one of the last dinosaurs using the good old USPS and Netflix to get the best possible picture quality with Blu Rays delivered to my home.
post #16 of 66 Old 11-21-2014, 06:02 PM

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Subscription is just too expensive. I haven't dug into it much, but from what I see episodes of TV shows start at $2. I know you own them, but how many times are you going to watch the same episode of a series? Maybe twice? Once you buy a months worth of episodes you've surpassed the total Netflix charge.

Amazon prime seems to be the best deal, but Netflix is pretty good too. Those are the two I use. For a low annual fee + a low monthly fee I get all of the content I could possible need.

I also binge watch quite a bit. I just inhaled Survivor: Fiji over the course of three days, and that was 16 or 17 episodes. We're talking over $30 just for that. I don't think I need to watch any more Survivor after that gut wrenching end, but that's for another thread. The seasons are there If I change my mind.

Last edited by breezy2012; 11-21-2014 at 06:43 PM.
post #17 of 66 Old 11-21-2014, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked: 242
I use both services and Netflix BUT I do not buy movies from Vudu, I only use it when I have a UV code from buying a movie.

Projector: BenQ w1500 + ES Sable 135" Screen AVR: Onkyo TX-NR646 ATMOS/DTSX + Darbee 5000
Speakers: Polk Audio TSX550t (FL/FR), CS2 Series II (C), Monitor40 Series II (RL/RR),
Onkyo THX Bookshelf Speakers (Ceiling L/R), (2) JL Audio 12" Subs + (2) Dayton 15" Subs + (2) ButtKicker LFE
Arrangement: 5.1.2 Source: HTPC, Roku 4, Nexus Player, Samsung UBD-K8500 4k Bluray Player
post #18 of 66 Old 11-21-2014, 06:35 PM
Advanced Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 149
I use subscription, but only rarely. This is because my internet service is so bad that I can never be sure that I will be able to stream something when I want to watch it. For example, a couple of Mondays ago, in the middle of the morning, I was unable to stream movies from either Netflix or Amazon. At other times it works fine. There is something deeply wrong with the service provided by my ISP.
post #19 of 66 Old 11-21-2014, 06:46 PM

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Sully View Post
I use subscription, but only rarely. This is because my internet service is so bad that I can never be sure that I will be able to stream something when I want to watch it. For example, a couple of Mondays ago, in the middle of the morning, I was unable to stream movies from either Netflix or Amazon. At other times it works fine. There is something deeply wrong with the service provided by my ISP.
Have you tried exchanging your modem? I had the same problem and switching it out solved most of it.
post #20 of 66 Old 11-21-2014, 07:46 PM
Advanced Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by breezy2012 View Post
Have you tried exchanging your modem? I had the same problem and switching it out solved most of it.
If I do so, I will change to the cable company. Of course, reports of the quality of the cable company's service are not great either, but I am so close to making the call...
post #21 of 66 Old 11-21-2014, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked: 390
Subscription. Vudu would make more sense if they were streaming current theatrical features for their high price.Movies that they show at any time can be downloaded for free from the net with equal or better quality. I think their business model would improve if they could show "still in theaters" features in a far more wider variety then they do now. Lots of people who hate to go to the movies could have their fix for less, granted at somewhat lesser quality, but at the convenience of their own.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

The Hun
post #22 of 66 Old 11-21-2014, 08:39 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 52
These business models look familiar - HBO vs. Blockbuster.
post #23 of 66 Old 11-21-2014, 10:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Buy titles on VUDU.

I don't stream enough for a monthly subscription to add up financialy. So far I only stream TV shows, most TV shows I watch on Blu-ray mostly from Netflix, I buy a few TV shows on BD, and I buy a few TV shows to stream from VUDU.

Cheers,
post #24 of 66 Old 11-21-2014, 10:32 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Subscription is my preferred choice. Makes sense for my budget and casual perusal. Since I have installed my first ROKU stick
I have found this method of access an extremely easy one.

RustyBones
post #25 of 66 Old 11-21-2014, 10:55 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 21
stream netflix and amazon - cost is minimal and there is a ton of content for all in our family - we don't have cable so a show that is a season or 2 behind streaming is still new to us - not sure about the quality issues the images and audio are both great, maybe not bluray great but pretty darn good where i still enjoy it on or tv or projector - though we do have 50 mbps and i just ran a speed test that says it is 58....other than that i buy my bd's from amazon or rent from redbox,,,vudu has my digital copies but the cost is too high to rent from them -
post #26 of 66 Old 11-22-2014, 03:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Subscription for sure...I currently use Netflix and Hulu Plus, plus Amazon occasionally (but that's really more incident to my Prime account). I think they offer a lot of bang for the buck, and I really like that HP gives you access to lots of newer shows and Criterion flicks. The video quality across all three services is really quite good nowadays -- much better compared to when I first started streaming Netflix years ago. For instance, I just finished season one of The Blacklist on Netflix, and it looked great, especially in 4K through the app on my TV. Sure, there was some noticeable compression in areas of solid color and it seemed to fall apart a bit during motion, but minor complaints overall. Audio is my biggest complaint -- the 5.1 tracks on Netflix are definitely lackluster compared to a BD, and Hulu Plus is limited to stereo.

i'll rent from iTunes if it's a movie I'm unsure of or a title I really don't want to buy on Blu-ray. I have a hard time paying to actually "own" a digital copy of a movie.

pc + headphone Sonus faber Toy monitor| REL T Zero| Sony UDA1|Sony MDR-Z7|Audioquest Nighthawk
stereo Sonus faber Toy tower|Teac UD-501|Sony TA-A1ES|Sony SCD-777ES|Sony ST-SA50ES|Sony BDP-S1000ES|Pro-Ject Debut Carbon DC|Apple TV|Panamax MR4300
surround Monitor Audio Silver RX6, RX Centre, RX1|MartinLogan Dynamo 700|Sony STR-ZA5000ES|Panasonic 60ZT60|Panasonic BDT500|Oppo 103D|Apple TV 32GB|Panamax M5100PM
post #27 of 66 Old 11-22-2014, 04:18 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Well, subscription is better...until you factor in selection and the quality of selection. I don't need 10,000 terrible movies and 100 good ones Netflix. Vudu I can convert discs for $2 to digital copies that I can watch whenever. My only complaint is I think Vudu is going to need more processing power for the increase in popularity. Subscription would be awesome if it was $20/month for a lot better movie selection and little garbage.

I "own" almost 400 movies on Vudu. 100 or so blu-rays (down from about 200) and Netflix/Hulu subscriptions. I watch most movies on Vudu, because I have the movies I like and don't dig through mountains of stuff I don't care to watch.
post #28 of 66 Old 11-22-2014, 05:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked: 221
I just buy Blus mostly... occasionally maybe a concert DVD.

I do redeem all the digital copies so I have a couple hundred in iTunes and mostly the same stuff in Vudu but I very rarely try to use those. (I watched a few from Vudu while on Vacation a year or so ago.)

Generally I hate subscriptions. I have to subscribe to various things like ulilities, internet service but I hate subscriptions so the fewer the better.

-Brian
post #29 of 66 Old 11-22-2014, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1228 Post(s)
Liked: 1000
I prefer the subscription model for streaming services. I occasionally rent with pay-per-title but I won't purchase streaming only copies. If I'm buying it I want physical media.
Dave Moritz likes this.
post #30 of 66 Old 11-22-2014, 06:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Both are the work of the Devil, a slippery slope to hell.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Community News & Polls

Tags
frontpage , Polls

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page