Do You Consider the Spouse-Acceptance Factor in Your Home Theater? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
View Poll Results: Do You Consider the Spouse-Acceptance Factor in Your Home Theater?
Yes, I compromise for the sake of domestic tranquility 362 40.49%
No, my spouse does not limit what I can do in that room 338 37.81%
No, I do what I want in that room no matter what my spouse says 82 9.17%
No, I have no spouse 112 12.53%
Voters: 894. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 122Likes

post #31 of 194 Old 02-13-2015, 04:38 PM
Weary Enthusiast

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Due to having to move several times, I've had the opportunity to try this (build an HT) three times in the past decade.

The first two times, I tried 'media rooms' so I could justify the cost of the equipment: "we'll use it every day, honey!" But the sound was compromised, and there was no effective light control.

In my latest (final??) house, I bought it with a plan to take over a healthy portion of the basement (I passed on several house layouts because I couldn't envision a functional, symmetrical-shaped theater room). There is no better way for the DIY theater builder: if I want to keep 2x4's and rock-wool insulation laying around for a month, nobody complains. If I want to paint everything black, nobody else gets to vote. My wife knows this is my hobby, and now that I have separated it from our daily living space, we both breathe a sigh of relief. And I could never put 14 speakers, multiple 18" subs, or a 125" screen in our Family Room!!!

However, I now must buy all the equipment from my own separate 'fun-money' fund, which takes some time to grow. So upgrades require budgeting. I'm glad I was able to buy my first plasma in 2004 from the 'general fund' ($4500 for a 50" 720p).

WHATTHEDILEO
Some people LOVE MUSIC.
Some people LOVE the SOUND of music.
If you don't know the difference, then you LIKE MUSIC.
My slow-cooking 11.4 channel Theater Room quest

Last edited by WHATTHEDILEO; 02-13-2015 at 04:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 194 Old 02-13-2015, 04:56 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 49
'I don't care what you do to the living room. It's your money, and everybody benefits.'
~ my greatest enabler
post #33 of 194 Old 02-13-2015, 05:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked: 389
I have a dog, as long as I give him his treats I can do whatever I want with the home theater room.
jdryyz likes this.

post #34 of 194 Old 02-13-2015, 05:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 68
While I do consider the Wife Acceptance Factor, the basement is mine, and the rest is hers. Every major purchase is discussed, and we must both approve it. That being said, my wife is completely supportive (within reason) of my addiction, and even puts up with my COCD (Collector's Obsessive Compulsive Disorder). She even prepares refreshments for my COCD Anonymous group (the meetings are quite short... leaves more time for a movie...)

Peace... Vader

"Ya see, we plan ahead. That way we don't do anything right now. Earl explained it to me." - Valentine McKee

One sub to rumble them all. One sub to shake them. One sub to humble them all. And in the darkness break them....

Last edited by Vader424242; 02-14-2015 at 06:04 PM.
post #35 of 194 Old 02-13-2015, 05:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 216
If she gets what she wants in the kitchen and bathrooms, then I get to do what I want wherever electronics are involved.
jdryyz likes this.
post #36 of 194 Old 02-13-2015, 07:19 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 20
It's my way or the highway, period! She gets what she wants in other areas of the house.
jdryyz likes this.
post #37 of 194 Old 02-13-2015, 08:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked: 203
You don't have all the right choices yet. I do "consider" what she wants but only implement what I want. Your only yes choice says I compromise, but I don't. :-) Her suggestions for something different were better than mine. So far that's only the color of the room.

Lowell

The MarvelAtmos Home Theater: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...e-theater.html
post #38 of 194 Old 02-13-2015, 08:03 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The WAF now only deals with how much it costs and not how it looks in the media room (my domain!).
Ovation and Djoel like this.
post #39 of 194 Old 02-13-2015, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1621 Post(s)
Liked: 4374
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxiedog13 View Post
Now Scott, you did say spouse yet the picture is of a very attractive young lady. Am I too assume only men are the theater owners and the spouse is a woman ?
Well, it was actually quite difficult to find a graphic that would go well with this poll; that's the best one I could find at a reasonable size—and even then, the aspect ratio was not right, so I had to pad the top and bottom. Yes, it does feed into the stereotype that I try to avoid, but I had to go with what I could find. Oh well...
fitbrit likes this.

Scott Wilkinson
Editor, AVS Forum
post #40 of 194 Old 02-13-2015, 09:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked: 539
thinking about audio equipment too much... nature or nurture?

Blazar!
post #41 of 194 Old 02-13-2015, 09:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked: 343
I dont have a spouse however a condition with anyone I date, is that I will have a theater room and I will do what I like in that room, everything else in the home is negotiable lol.

Projector: BenQ w1500 + ES Sable 135" Screen AVR: Marantz SR6011 ATMOS/DTSX + Darbee 5000s
Speakers: Polk Audio TSX550t (FL/FR), CS2 Series II (C), Monitor40 Series II (RL/RR),
Polk Audio TSx110B (Ceiling FL/FR RL/RR), (2) JL Audio 12" Subs + (2) Dayton 15" Subs + (2) ButtKicker LFE
Arrangement: 5.1.4 Source: OPPO UDP-203 4k Bluray Player, Roku 4, HTPC, Nexus Player
post #42 of 194 Old 02-13-2015, 10:34 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Happily single here. I do what (and who) I want, when I want.
KBMAN likes this.

Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Denon AVR-4520ci / OPPO BDP-103D
DTV HR24-100 / Apple TV (gen3) / Roku Stick / HTPC / Panamax M5400-PM
Rythmik FV15HP's (2) / Klipsch RF-82 ii (L&R) / RC-62 ii (C) / RB-51 ii (FH) / RS-52 ii (SS) / RB-41 ii (SB)
post #43 of 194 Old 02-13-2015, 11:02 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I live in a modest sized home and started my Home theater journey with a 40" Sony HD crt and a 5.1 sound system.I did most of my movie watching in the evenings after work and dinner.My wife did not appreciate the sound level and the LFE so we both were not happy with the arrangement.When our little rental unit became available(separate building about 100' from the house) she encouraged me to move the HT gear there so that she would not hear it and I could listen to music and movies unconstrained.Now my HT is a very Spartan flat black(walls,ceiling) with dark red carpeting and blackout curtains and black sound treatment in a 7.2/front projection configuration.We are now both very happy....when momma's happy Everybody Is Happy!!
post #44 of 194 Old 02-13-2015, 11:47 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 21
No... **However**:

I go to great lengths to involve her in all discussions, ideas, and input and carefully craft options to provide the illusion that most of it is her idea. For example the other day she told the BB rep that she thought the LG OLED display had superior color and contrast to the other displays in the store....

I couldn't be more proud!
post #45 of 194 Old 02-14-2015, 12:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Earth Quakes destroyed the house 4 1/2 years ago...we move into new house within weeks, she got the bedrooms, bathrooms, living rooms and the kitchen.......but I have my precious all to myself.....
ellisr63 likes this.

Masterpiece Calibration Ltd
Lincolnvilleshire
New Zealand
post #46 of 194 Old 02-14-2015, 04:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1930 Post(s)
Liked: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post
Well, it was actually quite difficult to find a graphic that would go well with this poll; that's the best one I could find at a reasonable size—and even then, the aspect ratio was not right, so I had to pad the top and bottom. Yes, it does feed into the stereotype that I try to avoid, but I had to go with what I could find. Oh well...

I think the clear reality is nearly 100% of the theater builders on this forum are male, not that it matters either way, just a undeniable fact, not stereotyping at all. I was just being the devils advocate, besides, that young lady is probably not the typical wife either, in-fact I thought first it looked exactly like my daughter. If she is the typical wife I am probably not the typical spouse.
post #47 of 194 Old 02-14-2015, 05:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked: 539
Some stereotypes are simply true. Possibly a biological basis for it at some level. It's not as if plenty of women don't have access to a stereo...

Most guys like girls ... Stereotype? No, just a fact.

Anytime you try to claim that humans are constrained by their biology, people think you are some sort of bigot or racist or some such nonsense.

I don't have the hearing of a dog and almost no other human does. Do all human have the same hearing, no... Do your see people calling eachother names based ln that fact? Not really. Perhaps because we are all so similar in this regard? Dog's certainly might be right to stereotype humans as having crappy hearing...would they be wrong?

As soon as you say someone MIGHT be limited or affected by their biology, people freak because they think their potential is limitless. They don't like anyone suggesting otherwise (at least about traits that they care about). People take their cognition "too personally".

If you ask someone if they can memorize 100 digits in a row... They say no... But they don't feel any dumber because they can't. They will claim that that is "normal". It is weird how folks concede they are not that smart in some areas but that they may have limitless potential in others "just because".

When you point out that MAYBE men in general MIGHT be prone to "audiophile tendencies" or any other behavioural trait... Folks start qualifying their remarks so they aren't judged to be sexist.

At the same time, my wife will admit that most women don't really give a crap about our crazy obsessive hobbies.

For weird obsessive hobbies, men take the CAKE... It's a good thing that women may be different or we would live in a world full of lunatics.

Perhaps marketing speakers to women has been a collossal failure of marketing and culture. Perhaps women don't have enough disposable income. Perhaps too many episodes of cosmo or dora the explorer rotted their brain.

Or maybe women just simply think about acoustics with less concern. And therefore can focus on more imprtant things in life.

How do we know that we didn't evolve the way we did for a reason? If hearing mattered so much, why don't we have hearing superior to dogs?

Just because we are different or even less capable in one are or another doesn't mean you have to get all worked up about it. Admit that you have your flaws... My hearing is not as good as a dog... And then move on to discover what you ARE good at... Perhaps quantum mechanics.

At a job interview, why do they ask what your "weaknesses" are? It is a test of your maturity. You can only know your weaknesses if you have sufficiently tested yourself. If you have no weaknesses to recall, you aren't worth hiring. "I'm perfect in every way"... Won't get you hired ... They will know you are prone to hubris or perhaps just lying.

On the other hand there have been some studies that verify that stereotyping does have a self fulfilling prophecy effect and might limit some people more than they otherwise would be...
CaliRaftDude and Dr. H like this.

Last edited by blazar; 02-14-2015 at 05:06 AM.
post #48 of 194 Old 02-14-2015, 05:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimShaw View Post
My wife and I have an agreement for the TV room.

I can do and spend as much as I want as long has it is hidden. She has 23-28 women over once a week in the room and she likes the room clean looking

That's why I have 8 in-ceiling speakers, 2 mid woofers hidden in front and 1 SVS PB Ultra-13 that is also well hidden.

Everyone in my house hold is happy

Below is the SVS

Very good sir, very good indeed. I have a PB13 Ultra in plain sight in our room, and people always think it's an end table, lol. Then I show them the woofer and they are blown away - pun intended.

Klipsch RF-7 II's, RC-64II, RS-62 II's, RS-52 II's
PSA V3600I
Marantz SR7008 with TK421 Modification
Emotiva XPA-5
Sony XBR-75x940c with Ideal-Lume Panelight
Oppo UDP-203
post #49 of 194 Old 02-14-2015, 06:37 AM

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 88
My buddy, has a home with high vaulted ceilings- and a very odd shape room. The wife has the TV in a corner, sub next to it, and on the wall (imagine an L shape room)- tv in the lower L section, with F-C-L up over a huge sliding door to the deck, with big windows above, on the vertical part of the L, and surrounds on the opposite wall. We have told him the center should be close to the TV above or below, he says" That's what I've been told" and gets scared!!!
post #50 of 194 Old 02-14-2015, 07:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 226
While I certainly go for domestic tranquility in this case, this is largely because my home theatre room is also my family room. It is out there where everyone in the house sees it - all the time. If I had a dedicated HT room, then my wife would be perfectly happy to let me put the ugliest components in, as long as we have the lights off in there most of the time ;-)
Anyway - I don't think that the poll is all that revealing in its current form. It needs two more choices (albeit with better wording...)

1) "I have a dedicated home theatre room and I do not have to compromise with my wife for aesthetics."
2) "I do NOT have a dedicated home theatre room and I do not have to compromise with my wife for aesthetics."
3) "I have a dedicated home theatre room and I compromise with my wife for aesthetics."
4) "I do NOT have a dedicated home theatre room and I do not have to compromise with my wife for aesthetics."
etc.

My guess is that #4 would have a very small population indeed.
finsup likes this.

Display: Panasonic P60UT50 (Plasma)
Speakers: (4) Monitor Audio Silver 9i (Front and Surround), (1) Monitor Audio Silver 12i (Center), (4) Monitor Audio Silver 4i (Rear and Wide), (2) Aperion Audio Bravus II 8d (Subwoofers)
Receiver: Pioneer Elite SC-87 AVR (9.2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103, Roku 3, Cable...

Last edited by LairdWilliams; 02-14-2015 at 07:26 AM.
post #51 of 194 Old 02-14-2015, 07:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 701 Post(s)
Liked: 572
Since going to a dedicated theater aesthetics don't matter much. My wife gives me feedback but the ultimate decision is mine. Discussion of price is something that comes up more often.
ellisr63 likes this.

My Theater: The Ugly Theater
post #52 of 194 Old 02-14-2015, 08:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirpie View Post
I'm pickier about the aesthetics of my room than my wife, which makes this a non-issue for me.

Now if this ALSO includes how expensive something is, well, yeah I talk to her first. Heck, if she spent a few thousand bucks without asking me, I'd be pissed.
Same here. It has to meet my acceptance (MAF )
chirpie likes this.

post #53 of 194 Old 02-14-2015, 08:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by LairdWilliams View Post
While I certainly go for domestic tranquility in this case, this is largely because my home theatre room is also my family room. It is out there where everyone in the house sees it - all the time. If I had a dedicated HT room, then my wife would be perfectly happy to let me put the ugliest components in, as long as we have the lights off in there most of the time ;-)
Anyway - I don't think that the poll is all that revealing in its current form. It needs two more choices (albeit with better wording...)

1) "I have a dedicated home theatre room and I do not have to compromise with my wife for aesthetics."
2) "I do NOT have a dedicated home theatre room and I do not have to compromise with my wife for aesthetics."
3) "I have a dedicated home theatre room and I compromise with my wife for aesthetics."
4) "I do NOT have a dedicated home theatre room and I do not have to compromise with my wife for aesthetics."
etc.

My guess is that #4 would have a very small population indeed.

#4 applies to me. I'm the pickier one....

post #54 of 194 Old 02-14-2015, 08:14 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked: 1394
I'm not married but might be sometime soon We'll see. But I picked I compromise choice anyway.

I guess I'm lucky in that my girl and I aesthetically both seem to like classy yet understated things, and similar colors (nothing garish or tacky), and she is also is a big fan of the theater room with my benq projector where we spend a lot of time. One big thing we compromised on was the seating distance to the screen, her eyes get tired easily when we're too close to the massive 138 inch projected image, so I just put the couch far enough back so that it's still immersive but not "nose bleed" levels.

Since the place is mine I obviously have final say but I do ask her which pieces of gear she likes best too. E.g. when I was considering B&W 600 s2 speakers, the white cabs looked really classy, so I was thinking of going with them, but then again, now that I found a good price / performance value in my JBL 308s which only come in black, she says she likes those too (no grills and big 8 inch woofers = "classy" enough for me!! hahah j/k). I do take her opinion into account because I actually care what she thinks and value her judgment too, not to avoid any arguments.

As for money, well sometimes I am a little short after I splurge from time to time on gear, but I'm thrifty, so I definitely value getting the best bang / buck and keep the rest of the cash for order in-sushi and getting her Blurays/whatever else that she likes (and lots of flowers!)
post #55 of 194 Old 02-14-2015, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 231
My theater is on my main living room, and we both like it that way. She is mostly worried about the cost when it comes to HT purchases and even when she doesn't like something she's over it quickly. I have two SVS cylinders On either side of the TV so their front and center in the room. (I get the occasional "what are THOSE" from people) the only thing she insisted on was that all the speakers are black. She also insisted I got rid of the bookshelf speakers I had in the front cause she likes tower speakers better, I had no argument with that. The only upgrade she absolutely loathed was when I put two Polk OWM3's on the ceiling as surround backs, she actually cried a little when she saw them. But now she doesn't even notice them, and neither does anyone else unless I point them out. We both agree that our next home will have a dedicated space. I do have a room in the basement right now that is mine to do as I please with but that's where my drum set lives.
ellisr63 likes this.
post #56 of 194 Old 02-14-2015, 08:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazar View Post
Some stereotypes are simply true ... for weird obsessive hobbies, men take the CAKE...
Great post, but listen, the inhabitants of Venus have got their weird obsessive hobbies too. They're just different weird obsessive hobbies. And the marketeers have figured it out. I've got a running joke with my wife about the "Free Gift" thing that absolutely every manufacturer in the cosmetics industry uses. Get a free gift if you buy $100 worth of the latest make up! We've got piles of free, crappy little gifts, if anybody needs one. Then the facials. The mani / pedis. And the shoes. OMG the shoes. What's the average wife to husband shoe ratio, like 50 to 1? I could go on. It's all fun and it's all good, but we ain't got the market cornered on weird obsessive hobbies.
blazar and AlexanderDelarg like this.

Every once in a while, quite inexplicably, things actually go according to plan.

Last edited by mogrub; 02-14-2015 at 08:58 AM. Reason: typo
post #57 of 194 Old 02-14-2015, 09:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked: 724
Even though I have a dedicated HT room, as it IS it's primary function, I can still only go so far. It still must function as a social space for the few times a year it needs to be used as such. Hence no black walls or ceilings.

Louder is NOT better!
post #58 of 194 Old 02-14-2015, 09:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked: 724
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogrub View Post
Great post, but listen, the inhabitants of Venus have got their weird obsessive hobbies too. They're just different weird obsessive hobbies. And the marketeers have figured it out. I've got a running joke with my wife about the "Free Gift" thing that absolutely every manufacturer in the cosmetics industry uses. Get a free gift if you buy $100 worth of the latest make up! We've got piles of free, crappy little gifts, if anybody needs one. Then the facials. The mani / pedis. And the shoes. OMG the shoes. What's the average wife to husband shoe ratio, like 50 to 1? I could go on. It's all fun and it's all good, but we ain't got the market cornered on weird obsessive hobbies.
Two weird obsessive hobbies come immediately to mind, at least in my household, shoes and handbags.

Louder is NOT better!
post #59 of 194 Old 02-14-2015, 09:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Picking not limited in the poll.
The HT gear is in the family room.
My wife and I certainly discuss things and her opinion matters to me.
Fifteen years ago (shortly after we married, I am a retreaded hubby) she wanted me to replace my 70's era stereo speakers.
I was not too keen on that idea so I took a risk and I brought home a Bose system.
I immediately hooked it up and put on some Bon Jovie (her fav band), after a few minutes she wants to hear Def Leppard (2nd fav band) a couple minutes later she tells me it doesn't sound as good as the old speakers and she doesn't want to spend money and go backwards, I box up the Bose and return it, never heard another word about replacing those speakers.
Ten years later I want to replace them, her input was....if you are going to spend money on speakers to make sure the new ones sound better than the old ones.
Hello Klipsch RF-83's.
When we were picking the first HD TV I had to do some real convincing to get get a 56" TV and I must admit it looked like a monster when it was first sitting in the living room, when that DLP broke and I determined it was just as cost effective to replace it vs fix it, she asked how big of a TV will fit between the speakers....hello 60" TV.
So yes I care what she thinks, but she pretty much is on board when it comes to this kind of toys.
ControlZ likes this.

Regards,
Charlie

post #60 of 194 Old 02-14-2015, 09:53 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 993 Post(s)
Liked: 414
When we bought our house, we agreed what rooms were for my use and what rooms she could have. Home Theater is 100% my choice, and I can do whatever i like in it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Community News & Polls

Tags
frontpage , Polls

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page