Do You Consider the Spouse-Acceptance Factor in Your Home Theater? - Page 7 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
View Poll Results: Do You Consider the Spouse-Acceptance Factor in Your Home Theater?
Yes, I compromise for the sake of domestic tranquility 362 40.49%
No, my spouse does not limit what I can do in that room 338 37.81%
No, I do what I want in that room no matter what my spouse says 82 9.17%
No, I have no spouse 112 12.53%
Voters: 894. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 122Likes

post #181 of 194 Old 12-01-2016, 06:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quid Pro Quo

My wife would have no say in the media room but, to be fair, I set up a hobby room for her in a spare bedroom. She can do her thing and I can do mine (classical music). She watches movies in my room but knows better than to comment on the speakers sitting far out into the room.

Oh! By the way........we've been married for 58 years. The woman's given me three of the best years of my life. Three out of 58 ain't bad (badaboom!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 194 Old 12-02-2016, 01:06 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Sometimes I consider the neighbor acceptance of my home theater...

AACD
post #183 of 194 Old 12-06-2016, 07:44 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 359
I'm one of the lucky ones I guess. My wife and I both love movies (and hope the kids will too). She was fully on board with building a dedicated theatre in our small basement, and has basically said "do what you think will be best" within reason. She's looking forward to watching action movies when we get the new twin 18" subs built, and didn't really bat an eye when I explained why we needed 4 speakers in the ceiling. I guess the caveat is that once we get this room built, upgrades down the road will be severely questioned, but I can live with that. We're both more of the "do it right the first time" philosophy subscribers.

post #184 of 194 Old 05-17-2017, 02:50 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My wife recognizes that the home theater/media room is the ONLY room I exercise any input aesthetically ... so it's really her little compromise.
post #185 of 194 Old 05-21-2017, 11:17 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 3
We have a dedicated room for the home theater. Wife loves everything about the room.."my favorite part of the house" she says. I selected the paint (leaning towards a dark room), and setup the whole theater system with Atmos. And added some automation (not completely done with this yet), to control dimmable lights by voice.
post #186 of 194 Old 07-30-2017, 06:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just size.
post #187 of 194 Old 08-08-2017, 12:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson
Some AV enthusiasts must take their spouse's aesthetic wishes into account in their home theater.

Yes that can totally ruin what someone loves Scotty as we all know NO 2 PEOPLE ARE THE SAME sadly and someones OTHER can like something way off from what they like.... It can make it really hard....
post #188 of 194 Old 08-08-2017, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Before we moved into our house, we had a small 5.1 system, centered around the TV in the living room. After we moved in our new house, we had to decide, whether we will have a dedicated HT room or stick with the living room. My wife decided to have the HT in the family room because it is more social. She didn't like the idea to go to a room in the cellar and watch a movie. That means she accepted the speakers, even she didn't like it too much (aesthetics), but mentioned this only twice. I put all cables into ducts and here we go. Front projection mounted on the ceiling, 7.2.4 with large subwoofers (2 x 12") and 4 on-ceiling speakers.
Everybody is happy and it was a giving and taking. However, I can't do anything regarding acoustic treatment but we are happy with the sound.

We found a compromise and everybody is happy at the end. And yes, I had to take the spouse's aesthetic wishes into account but I am very happy with that. Somebody wrote earlier 'a happy wife makes a happy life' and I agree.
post #189 of 194 Old 08-09-2017, 01:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 666
Im glad things worked out ok for you guys

Its hard isnt it??
post #190 of 194 Old 08-09-2017, 01:47 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
The WAF factor for me has always been very significant. Until recently, the cinema room was always the main living area so anything AV related had to pass the aesthetics test.

To be honest, I considered this far more of an annoyance and limiting factor when I was younger (early 30's) but as I've always ended up with a room I was both comfortable with and satisfied with the AV aspect.

Now that I'm older, I put far more value on the room aesthetic which is ironic given that I have, for the first time, just been able to set up a dedicated HT room with all of the cabling in the walls/ceiling and av units sat in a rack in a server room making it the least invasive and aesthetically pleasing setup I've ever had

Colyn
post #191 of 194 Old 08-16-2017, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I sure do! Setting up my first 5.1 system and had to convince the lady to allow for the surrounds. She thought the idea of speakers floating behind the couch were ugly, but after a few movies, I think she's coming around to the benefits of audio quality.
post #192 of 194 Old 09-14-2017, 09:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I use to try and compromise with my wife that I was married to but we did not have an area for a dedicated room so I tried to work with her within reason. I feel it is ridiculous for another person to want everything there way and to act like they are doing you a favor to let you do anything. To many times it is the man that has to beg for permission or at least it seems that way and I am sure there are relationships where that extreme happens. But when there is an extra room or a dedicated room and you are getting true enjoyment out of it and your not out running around and the bills are being paid, the rent is being paid and there is food on the table I don't feel the other person should put there thumb down on you and do the control thing. Each one in the relationship should allow the other to have something they enjoy doing! I found out later that my former wife would tell other people how she was going to make me get ride of my Altec A-7 speakers and make me sale my A/V gear. Well she is gone because of other reasons that I will not get into but I still have my A/V gear that I have upgraded and I still have my Altec A-7's! But I can say that I am reaching a point where the upgrade train is coming to an end. I do not need anything beyond 4K UHD and do not need to repurchase anything beyond 4K UHD BD or have anything more than Dolby True HD/ Atmos or DTS-HD Master Audio/ DTS-X. Right now if all I do is get a new reciever and ceiling speakers and nothing else happens but buying some movies to build my library I would be very happy even if I did not go beyond what I have now I just purchased movies. Sure it is not the best of the best but it is very nice and if I had to live with what I have I am ok at the end of the day. What I have is actually nicer than many people have so I have no complaints.

Supporter of 1080p & 4K/UHD video (173 480p DVD Titles, 325 1080p Blu-ray Titles - 44 UHD 4K Blu-ray Titles - 75 HD-DVD's & Vudu 57)/ Supporter of Lossless PCM, Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio. Samsung UHD 4K Blu-ray Player UBD-K8500
post #193 of 194 Old 09-15-2017, 04:25 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 3
No. I did let him "talk" me into Atmos for the theater after showing him an article about it. We're usually on the same page about what we want for the house and theater.
post #194 of 194 Old 09-15-2017, 04:39 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Cost factor

My wife really enjoys the sound quality of the music and videos. She could never go back. However, If she figured out how much all this equipment cost, she would shoot me and bury my body in the garden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Community News & Polls

Tags
frontpage , Polls

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page