What Is Your Favorite Streaming-Video Provider? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
View Poll Results: What Is Your Favorite Streaming-Video Provider?
Amazon Instant Video 103 13.83%
Blockbuster On Demand 0 0%
CinemaNow 0 0%
Hulu 17 2.28%
iTunes 24 3.22%
Netflix 379 50.87%
Vudu 85 11.41%
YouTube 31 4.16%
Other 42 5.64%
I don't watch streamed video 64 8.59%
Voters: 745. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 32Likes

post #31 of 168 Old 03-22-2015, 07:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 20
That's a bummer for what is otherwise such a fine player.

Samsung PN51F8500, Emotiva MC-700, Outlaw Audio 5000, Xbox One S, Dali Ikon 6, Vokal 2, OnWall, Outlalw LMF-EX, Furman Elite pf15i.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 168 Old 03-22-2015, 07:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 859 Post(s)
Liked: 189
I have netflix & I can use Vudu & amazon instant... but I have a few different players for the different services. Netflix is a great value, but I worry about what will become of it over time... I've noticed a lot of 1 or 2 star flicks crowding up my list. BTW anyone who hasn't watched it yet... check out "dear zachary"... man that is an intense doc.

Although typically if I'm watching a high quality film I will pick up the bluray version of the film instead. I've been watching House of cards on Netflix... I'm shocked by how blurry the motion gets at times.

I'm excited about HBO's streaming service (supposedly to be available without cable next month?). Although I'm wondering how good the quality will be compared to discs for shows like Game of Thrones... the bluray discs for the first 4 seasons have incredible quality.
post #33 of 168 Old 03-22-2015, 07:34 PM
Answer Seeking / Sharing

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Actually need option for a couple. We use Hulu for new release TV shows, but Netflix for movies and older series.

Ray

"Listen with an open heart and mind."

post #34 of 168 Old 03-22-2015, 07:53 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 21
i voted netflix since it is my most watched - we have not had cable in over 10 years and netflix has a ton of great content from movies to documentaries, tv shows and the original content is great. i have 50/50 streaming and am plugged in to the Ethernet so any lag times are due to the program initially loading. overall the also have the best interface - i like amazon as well but the interface is poor in comparison. vudu quality is great but i only use that to watch the digital copies of movies - one feature that i wish was on all of them was a watch from beginning option . netflix has this but the others just say resume from last spot - if i finished a move that would mean the credits.
post #35 of 168 Old 03-22-2015, 08:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 74
I don't do a ton of streaming, but mainly use Netflix on an Apple TV when I do. I also have a Roku 3 that I occasionally have used for Amazon, and a couple of Blu Ray players that have NF/Amazon and others. The NF interface on the Apple TV is by far the best interface of any of these, from what I've seen. (I haven't used Hulu or Vudu, though.)

I'm tempted to grab a used/refurb Mac Mini to be able to stream recent TV shows from network websites that my DVR misses. I've been hoping to find better options for this on Roku - and I may be missing something, but the network Roku channels I've checked have had virtually nothing in terms of actual episodes of shows. In fact, last week I looked at a couple and couldn't find a single piece of content that looked like it was worth watching - just snippets and extras for hard core fans of specific shows.

As tempting as it's getting I can't cut the cord yet because there are still a few things that I want to see live or nearly live - like sporting events or a very small number of reality shows with the wife - that streaming just can't replace yet.
post #36 of 168 Old 03-22-2015, 08:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 594 Post(s)
Liked: 964
A-MOVIES:
I stream all my content through a ROKU 3 1080P media player. If I'm just browsing to see what's available, I'll search HBO-GO, Vudu, Netflix or Amazon for movies and Hulu Plus for TV shows. If I'm looking for a specific or hard to find film, I'll use the ROKU search function and pick whichever service has it. Whenever possible, I try to use Vudu HDX. It looks better and is worth the extra cost.

B-MOVIES:
I also like to find old horror, sic-fi and cult B-movies and classics. Some good ROKU channels are: Ace TV, Area 52, Old Classic Movies and The Cult Movie Network. There are also some interesting silent films on The Silent Movie Channel (i.e. DW Griffith's Birth of a Nation or Georges Melies's A Trip to the Moon )

A/V-TECH
As a A/V nerd, my passions run to anything science or AV related. For audio/video: CNET (CES/CEDIA reports, equipment reviews), SoundWorks (movie sound editing) and TwitTV (Scott on Home Theater Geeks) for science: PBS, The Knowledge Network, and NASA.TV (some of the ISS footage is spectacular)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	images.jpeg
Views:	127
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	619449   Click image for larger version

Name:	images-1.jpeg
Views:	126
Size:	7.9 KB
ID:	619457   Click image for larger version

Name:	images-2.jpeg
Views:	137
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	619465  
post #37 of 168 Old 03-23-2015, 12:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Send a message via AIM to lovswr
Netflix & Amazon, but I do use Vudu (digital downloads from the Blu-ray) is great. However, critical viewing is always on Blu & of course the best audio options come this way as well.

carry on with your HD-Lite Directv loving banter! <--Comedy Gold
Don't fall for the HDMI 1.3 Hype!
PSN = lovswr
XBOX Live = lovswr
post #38 of 168 Old 03-23-2015, 04:49 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I stream Netflix through xbox one. I also occasionally watch Amazon.
post #39 of 168 Old 03-23-2015, 05:03 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Netflix, WatchESPN, and PBS. We will probably drop cable when it's no longer required to watch ESPN.
post #40 of 168 Old 03-23-2015, 05:05 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I voted VUDU because I love it! I have a majority of my DVD/Blu-Ray collection (500+) in VUDU through their Disc To Digital program and couldn't be more pleased with the service. I can't tell you the last time I actually played a disc. Amazon & Netflix are my numbers 2&3 for streaming content.
HTNUT1975 and thrillcat like this.
post #41 of 168 Old 03-23-2015, 06:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 332
I view Amazon the most; we use it as a rental store. But we use both Netflix and Amazon all the time.

Pros:
Amazon: video quality & rental ability; always plays high quality video. Video quality is the best of the two at the moment (comparing SuperHD Netflix to Amazon HD)
Netflix: has better content; more movies. Nice video controls like fast forward and rewind.

Cons:
Amazon: selection of movies included with monthly dues not as good; fast forward doesn't show preview so I have no idea where to stop.
Netflix: Video isn't quite as crisp in super HD. Some days it refuses to play HD consistently.

-SiGGy

Last edited by SiGGy; 03-23-2015 at 07:11 AM.
post #42 of 168 Old 03-23-2015, 06:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 65
I stream talking head shows like yours Scott but the idea of streaming a movie is abhorrent to me the video and sound quality is deplorable at best. Streaming is for the lazy people who think quality is a dirty word.
post #43 of 168 Old 03-23-2015, 06:18 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimL View Post
I voted VUDU because I love it! I have a majority of my DVD/Blu-Ray collection (500+) in VUDU through their Disc To Digital program and couldn't be more pleased with the service. I can't tell you the last time I actually played a disc. Amazon & Netflix are my numbers 2&3 for streaming content.
I've resisted streaming for a long time and have insisted on using Blu-ray for movies in the home theatre thinking that it's only a matter of time until we won't be able to own a physical disc. I've always felt that the content providers don't want us to own a physical copy of their work that we can keep on a shelf and open anytime we want or loan to someone else (like a book). I still intend to keep collecting Blu-ray discs although not as many as in the past at least until Ultra Blu-ray discs are available. I actually own a large laser disc collection. That's how far I go back.

I started streaming via my smart TV (Samsung UHD) when I started searching for 4K material. 4K material such as House of Cards on Netflix has been very impressive to me. I have been searching for the ultimate video image (resolution and HDR and wide color gamut, etc.) ever since I went to one of those national high tech gizmo shows at the Chicago Convention Center many years ago and saw something similar to what is now 8K. I have never been able to satisfy my insatiable desire for higher video quality. Even HDTV seems like HD lite.

We stream almost exclusively Netflix and have gotten hooked on several shows such as House of Cards, Blacklist, Miss Fishers's Murder Mysteries, and Grand Hotel among others. I did transfer some movies over to Cinemaquest. The quality on both has been excellent.

I stream in the HT via Oppo 103D Blu-ray disc player.
In the family room we stream via the Smart TV.
In the exercise room I use an Apple TV.
For moving around on the go I stream to my Apple Notebook.

Larry Raulston
Tim Glover likes this.
post #44 of 168 Old 03-23-2015, 06:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked: 1218
Netflix the most, good movies and especially the comedy, documentary and science shows - I saw all of Bill Burr's shows on it, the Cosmos series and many other documentaries. Movies are fine on it, no real problems with streaming connections.

Vudu second, I've transferred disks to it so my Vudu library is at 50+ movies now. Especially for movies that never made it (and probably won't) to bluray like Milagro Beanfield War, 13th warrior, etc... it's a good way to get a 1080p version by upgrading using the DVD. On blurays, I just use the ultraviolet code to have a version I can watch anywhere. Good resolution and sound (7.1 DD+) is not bad.

I have an Oppo 103D, which doesn't have an Amazon client (by Amazon choice), so I use my TV's client to watch that. I run an optical connection back to my AVR, so I do get 5.1, but just as a matter of logistics, I watch it less. Good selection of movies though, and I am a Prime member, so it's not bad.

Bluray is better quality, but especially with the Oppo and Darbee cleaning up the signal, streaming is not so bad.
post #45 of 168 Old 03-23-2015, 07:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 650 Post(s)
Liked: 432
I don't think of Netflix streaming as a replacement for buying discs, renting them, or renting on demand. Its more like a supplement to whatever is available on demand from the cable company.

I rented from Amazon once or twice simply because I already had an account there. It was ok - not much better than watching a DVD.

More and more I find myself getting interested in web hosted tv shows on Youtube and Blip. I love Red Letter Media's shows Half in the Bag and Best of the Worst. I use my Plex server to get access to IGN's The Superhero Show and hundreds of PBS documentaries.

My basement media room and bar
Epson 2030, Onkyo TX-NR626, and Kodi based system

Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #46 of 168 Old 03-23-2015, 07:13 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I am a big fan of Netflix, and still stream primarily from them, but after switching from an old Roku to the FireTV, I have spent more time streaming with Amazon Prime recently. I like it as well for the ability to rent a newer movie and not have to leave the house at the occasional odd hour. The prime streaming offers are pretty good as well, a lot of overlap with Netflix. I have not started on any of their original content, but I do really like Netflix's offerings. Need more Arrested Development! I also like Hulu to keep up with some of the things I currently watch. I just really wish I could get the whole current season for some of the shows, not just the last few episodes and I don't like the commercials when I am paying to stream. I also stream from Watch ESPN, and HBO Go, and I also have a CinemaNow/UV account for my digital movies. Of all the streaming options, I still stream from Netflix the most, and go there to browse first, probably because I have been using it the longest.
post #47 of 168 Old 03-23-2015, 07:22 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2275 Post(s)
Liked: 992
I voted for Netflix. Amazon library is weak, and Hulu PQ and commercials are intolerable. If I were into PPV, I suppose I'd use Vudu.

Youtube is a special case. It has a ton of rare footage you won't find anywhere else. I'll take VHS quality footage of a great artist from the past over a pristine BD of Transformers 5 any day.

Oh, and I love the folks who won't stream at all because the vastly inferior quality offends their perfect eyes. What a load of crap. Netflix looks better than cable or satellite TV. You're missing a lot of great content by refusing to watch anything that isn't BD bitrates. What are you going to do when 4k comes along, refuse to watch BD anymore?

Last edited by mdavej; 03-23-2015 at 07:26 AM.
post #48 of 168 Old 03-23-2015, 07:44 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
HBO GO is #1 for me. Then Netflix.
post #49 of 168 Old 03-23-2015, 08:11 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMcLain View Post
You might want to experiment with your router's DNS settings. Before I did this a trace route showed that my Netflix content was coming from a server located in JAPAN! And I'm in the central United States. I switched to using a Speak easy DNS server in Chicago instead of the address that came from my ISP and it cured the problem.
Dave that's an excellent point and glad you mentioned it for folks here. However, I have involved many different DNS facilities, including converting from Wi-Fi signal distribution in the house to dedicated CAT6 Ethernet, primarily to solve neighbor 'contamination' and the improvements have been minimal with respect to streaming performance. The service is otherwise solid via CAT6.

The answer is Scott's latest AVS Show 'Adaptive Video Acceleration', which certainly looks like the future solution. Time to upgrade my 5 year old Samsung LCD for a 2015 model with 'AVA'.

-Rod
post #50 of 168 Old 03-23-2015, 08:20 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have used Netflix (not 4K), iTunes, Amazon and Vudu -- in order of frequency of use.

The bottom line is that the Netflix library is pretty large and the stuff generally streams pretty well....unless you're expecting flawless PQ and loss-less HD audio. I also agree that their PQ gets a bad rap. It's not BluRay -- but I don't need that on every single thing I watch. Netflix original stuff (House of Cards) is pretty darn good as well. They also have hours upon hours of Curious George...which my 2 year old is a big fan of.

I use quite a bit of iTunes....for TV episodes that I've missed and can't find on the proprietary sites/apps offered by the networks.

Amazon -- I tend to check this first as I'm a Prime member but don't use it as often as I find that the content isn't there. That said, they're moving forward with their own original content and a desire to be a player in the online content creation space. While I haven't watched it yet, my wife tells me that Transparent is an amazing series. Audio and Video seem, thus far, pretty consistent with Netflix...although I'll admit this past week while watching "The Big Lebowski" on my laptop that it was dropping video every 1-2 minutes...just for a frame or two...but noticeable.

Vudu -- I thought this service would be awsome -- full 1080p/24fps HD video and 5.1 audio....a streaming service for those of us who care about what something looks and sounds like from time-to-time. I tried it a few times when it was brand new to 3rd-party blu-rays...and it kept downgrading my service due to bandwidth...so I haven't used it since that time. Admittedly, at the time I was using wifi in my house rather than running cable...so maybe it was only mostly the Vudu service bandwidth....but still. Is there any reason to try this service out again?
post #51 of 168 Old 03-23-2015, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 260
I use iTunes, Amazon Prime, Vudu, Netflix, Hulu Plus, HBOGo, WatchESPN, and that's probably about it. Cut the cord about 5 years ago.

• I think Vudu's sound and picture quality is higher than the rest, iTunes is comparable. Which makes sense based on their business models.
• Anything that is a big AV Drool Fest I'll buy or rent on Bluray. I don't do Netflix discs, I prefer stopping into my local video store. Nostalgia? Probably. But they have great deals and I haven't been charged a late fee in years (they will generally throw them out for their repeat customers these days). I love walking through the titles and looking at the cases. I still listen to records, too.
• Netflix and Hulu Plus I could do without, but it's easier to have them as a fallback. Others in the house watch them more than me.
• I love Vudu's Disc-2-Digital service. Everything that was not worth purchasing on Blu-ray that I already owned on DVD was transferred to an HD streaming version and the DVDs were boxed up and put in the attic. Very convenient and cost-effective, especially when they run their 1/2 off for more than 10 titles special.
• I'm a Mac guy, so I love the AppleTV, I just wish it had Vudu. I get why it doesn't, but if they would allow Vudu and Amazon Prime on there, they'd sell a lot more units because you would have all your sources on one box.
• I prefer Vudu, except I hate having to fire up the PS3 to watch it.
JimL likes this.

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable.

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread
post #52 of 168 Old 03-23-2015, 09:12 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Itunes, Netflix, and HBO
post #53 of 168 Old 03-23-2015, 09:30 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I have most of the major ones: Netflix / Amazon Prime / Hulu and Vudu

1. For day to day streaming of non current movies Netflix is Key, plus it has my preferred shows (Chuck / Vikings / etc)
2. I use Hulu only for the programs I missed because it has less commercials than watching through OnDemand on my cable provider
3. Vudu for New Releases by a mile for current run movies, etc. 1080p with DD+ 7.1 and the only provider that does this is the closest to Blu-Ray
post #54 of 168 Old 03-23-2015, 09:39 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Although Hulu, Netflix, Amazon and Vudu are popular in our household, by far the most usage is for the WWE network. Don't laugh. Great quality and reliability. In a household where a fan can be anywhere from 6 to 60 years old this is used every day.
post #55 of 168 Old 03-23-2015, 09:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 1698 Post(s)
Liked: 1630
VUDU is the main option in my HT room due to 1080P and DD+ via my OPPO BDP103D. I have a Sony FP and a 138" AT Screen so only 1080P looks right in the HT.

I use Netflix with a Samsung 65" Plasma in the family room and use a Netgear NeoTV as the Sammy isn't a smart tv. I will occasionally use VUDU here too with documentaries or older films that don't upscale well.

Anxiety is contagious, please keep yours to yourself.
post #56 of 168 Old 03-23-2015, 10:06 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 4
We watch most of the shows on Netflix, then Amazon. I prefer Vudu's video and sound over the other two, but I have BD movies for almost everything I have on there.
post #57 of 168 Old 03-23-2015, 10:11 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked: 248
Is Blockbuster on Demand still around?

I thought when they went under that would go away too?
post #58 of 168 Old 03-23-2015, 10:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 995 Post(s)
Liked: 1028
I voted other...I'm my own provider via Plex: I stream over 2,000 titles to my family and close friends,.

Epson: 5040UB | Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1) | Onkyo: TX-NR636 (5.2.2) | Klipsch: RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II, RB-61 II MICCA: M-8C (Atmos) x 6 | SVS: PB16-Ultra x 2 | Philips: BDP7501, Panasonic: DMP UB900, Oppo: UDP-203
post #59 of 168 Old 03-23-2015, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Dropped DirectTV for $105 a month w/ bunch of commercials and reruns that keeps going to my dvr that I had already seen.

Now we got locan antenna (HD), Hulu & Netflix for less than $20 a month (on DSL). We're happy enough and cannot say we regret getting rid of Dtv and its bogus 2nd year rip off fees or no sunshine, no tv act
Red99 likes this.
post #60 of 168 Old 03-23-2015, 11:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1640 Post(s)
Liked: 971
My Number one is Netflix then Amazon... Hulu seems to have alot of Lipsync Issues for me no matter which device i use for streaming Hulu. Vudu is fine but not really a streaming in the same way but a VOD and storage for MY UV copies i never have an issue with streaming PQ or sound

DEN Atmos Samsung UN65KS8000 Roku Ultra Onkyo TX-RZ710 5.2.2 UHD audio. Polk Audio OWM3 Speakers / top middle on Ceiling / 300MGB Spectrum / Samsung UBD-K8500 Blu-Ray Player / 26 UHD Blu-Rays Living Room Atmos Samsung PN60E8000+SEK2000 / Onkyo TX-NR 1030 7.2.4 /Onkyo M-5010 Amplifier for top middle/ 300MGB Spectrum / Panasonic 3D blu-ray Bic Acoustech speakers, MICCA M-8S FH on wall /TM in ceiling speakers / 2 Bic F12 subs. BEDROOM Samsung 55JS8500 using tv speakers for now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Community News & Polls

Tags
frontpage , Polls

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page