What Is Your Favorite Streaming-Video Provider? - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
View Poll Results: What Is Your Favorite Streaming-Video Provider?
Amazon Instant Video 103 13.83%
Blockbuster On Demand 0 0%
CinemaNow 0 0%
Hulu 17 2.28%
iTunes 24 3.22%
Netflix 379 50.87%
Vudu 85 11.41%
YouTube 31 4.16%
Other 42 5.64%
I don't watch streamed video 64 8.59%
Voters: 745. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 32Likes

post #61 of 168 Old 03-23-2015, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 779 Post(s)
Liked: 265
other: Crunchyroll

most of there content is not listed anywhere else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 168 Old 03-23-2015, 12:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 51
post #63 of 168 Old 03-23-2015, 12:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked: 436
Netflix followed closely by Amazon. We also stream Archive.org, PBS, HGTV & Food via Kodi, but none of those are as reliable as the first two.

post #64 of 168 Old 03-23-2015, 01:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Youtube ton of 4K content and Vudu second.
post #65 of 168 Old 03-23-2015, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Though Netflix is our main source of streaming we have recently added Acorn as both my wife and I love British programming.
post #66 of 168 Old 03-23-2015, 01:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 113
I love the snark comments from people complaining in detail about the deficiencies of streaming, as if they are the only people around that have taken the time to compare it to blurays...
morbidcorpse and thrillcat like this.
post #67 of 168 Old 03-23-2015, 01:59 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I am in Canada and I like CraveTv. It is not exactly a competitor to Netflix but there are some advantages to Optik TV or Bell TV subscribers. The bandwidth doesn't count. It is very thin in movies but has a tonne of old TV shows.
post #68 of 168 Old 03-23-2015, 03:53 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
We get the bulk of our shows OTA, but when we do stream, the breakdown is approximately 50% Netflix, 20% Amazon, 20% Hulu, and 10% YouTube. Acorn is probably in our future.
Two years ago we dumped DirecTV and their $104 a month bill in favor of OTA to a HTPC and streaming to an Xbox 360s.
Red99 likes this.
post #69 of 168 Old 03-23-2015, 03:53 PM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Netflix for random viewing.

Amazon for specific movie "rentals" if I wish.

That being said my preferred is my large library on NAS via Plex =)
gene4ht likes this.
post #70 of 168 Old 03-23-2015, 03:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I only have Amazon because of Prime. I've used it on occasion but the quality leaves much to be desired.

Pain Gauge - my electro-industrial music project

post #71 of 168 Old 03-23-2015, 05:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 221
I have not even tried any streaming service. Just over a year ago I was looking into setting up an account with Vudu because of the HD content and then I learned that Vudu is owned by WalMart. I consider WalMart to be the corporate anti-Christ so I passed on that service. I might consider CinemaNow but have not looked into their catalog or HD offerings yet.
morbidcorpse likes this.

Packing a lot of sound into a small room.
268 square feet/2144 cubic feet
7.2 surround sound.
post #72 of 168 Old 03-23-2015, 05:13 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Youtube, because you can´t get any HOW TO videos with the other video providers
post #73 of 168 Old 03-23-2015, 05:29 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
I love the snark comments from people complaining in detail about the deficiencies of streaming, as if they are the only people around that have taken the time to compare it to blurays...
I know, we should probably just go back to black & white tube tv's at this point. Why try to get the best audio/video quality we can while maintaining the director's intended viewing..

It's also disappointing that you can't watch certain shows or movies because not all video streamers carry them. Or you'll have it in your queue to watch and it gets deleted..
post #74 of 168 Old 03-23-2015, 05:51 PM
Weary Enthusiast

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I used to love Vudu, but over the past year every single movie I watch has periods of stuttering, especially in scenes with whole-screen motion, such as pans. I thought it might be choking on bandwidth, so I started fully downloading every movie before watching, and STILL had the issue. Approx. halfway thru the movie, I need to get out, then get back in & resume.

I am watching via PS3 super-slim. I plan to watch a suspect title (Lucy, which I own on Vudu) on another device soon to see if the weak link is my own physical equipment.

Until then, I am very pleased with Netflix since they got Comcast to open up the bandwidth. I used to get ~750kbps Netflix speed... now I get 10-14mbps (I sometimes see 18-20mbps for Crackle, and it's not even HD!). I do miss HD Audio when I stream Netflix.

WHATTHEDILEO
Some people LOVE MUSIC.
Some people LOVE the SOUND of music.
If you don't know the difference, then you LIKE MUSIC.
My slow-cooking 11.4 channel Theater Room quest
post #75 of 168 Old 03-23-2015, 06:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1retap View Post
I know, we should probably just go back to black & white tube tv's at this point. Why try to get the best audio/video quality we can while maintaining the director's intended viewing..

It's also disappointing that you can't watch certain shows or movies because not all video streamers carry them. Or you'll have it in your queue to watch and it gets deleted..
It appears you've completely missed the point of my comment. I'm not suggesting the people who are against streaming lack validity to their argument. It just amuses me that they feel the need to make it as if the rest of us aren't already aware of it.

Do you see the need to convince others that most school buses are yellow? Of course not, because we all already know that...
post #76 of 168 Old 03-23-2015, 07:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked: 808
Quote:
It appears you've completely missed the point of my comment. I'm not suggesting the people who are against streaming lack validity to their argument. It just amuses me that they feel the need to make it as if the rest of us aren't already aware of it.

Do you see the need to convince others that most school buses are yellow? Of course not, because we all already know that...
We're not trying to convince you that School Buses are yellow. We're trying to explain that we wouldn't want to drive one because they don't have the speed or handling of a sports car. We know that you also know that, but you are fine with renting one while on vacation. We are not.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb
_____________________ http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/auger-handle/ ____________________________
post #77 of 168 Old 03-23-2015, 08:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post
...We're trying to explain that we wouldn't want...
We get it. Your tastes are much more sophisticated than ours. Why don't you just leave us cattle to eat at our trough?

Honestly, I'll spell it out for you... if you don't care to stream, then you look like a completely pretentious elitist coming onto a thread about the topic just to tell everyone you think they are foolish with their money and then calling them cows....
What Is Your Favorite Streaming-Video Provider?

Honestly, every time this topic comes up people like you feel the need to go out of your way to tinkle in everyone else's cheerios, it's been happening long before you were a member here, and it hasn't gotten any more unique or enlightening since.
thrillcat likes this.
post #78 of 168 Old 03-23-2015, 09:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked: 808
Quote:
We get it. Your tastes are much more sophisticated than ours. Why don't you just leave us cattle to eat at our trough?

Honestly, I'll spell it out for you... if you don't care to stream, then you look like a completely pretentious elitist coming onto a thread about the topic just to tell everyone you think they are foolish with their money and then calling them cows....
What Is Your Favorite Streaming-Video Provider?

Honestly, every time this topic comes up people like you feel the need to go out of your way to tinkle in everyone else's cheerios, it's been happening long before you were a member here, and it hasn't gotten any more unique or enlightening since.
Please forgive the cattle analogy, but that's the view from my side of the fence. Your view is obviously from a different angle. Such is life.

I'm sorry you feel that I am being pretentious or elitist (and you are welcome to feel that way), but my opinion is no less valid than yours. You are entitled to spend your money however you want, but please know that it has an effect on others, which validates both our concerns and our comments. It's simply supply and demand. As long as the majority are willing to pay top dollar for low quality and low value services, the price will always be high and the quality will always be low.

After using some of these services, I chose to stop, for all the reasons given above. I don't mind paying $50 for a steak, but I will not pay that much for a hamburger, and neither will most anyone else. Unfortunately, that's not the case with new technology, where people seem to value convenience over quality, and will pay extra for it.

Again, as I qualified before, this is my opinion, because value is subjective. If you think the quantity and quality are good enough, say so, and go ahead and pay for it. It's your money and your opinion, but please don't presume to tell me what I am allowed to think about the subject, or about your opinion, for that matter.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb
_____________________ http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/auger-handle/ ____________________________
post #79 of 168 Old 03-23-2015, 09:14 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Vudu played back by a Sony BDP-S590 player. I never have any problems with buffering or quality whatsoever. It's wired in to the router so maybe that has something to do with it. Comcast 50mbps cable internet. Perceived quality is so close to Blu-Ray that the transfer/bandwidth is not the problem in the setup, the projector is.

The Sony Blu-Ray player does a better job than PS3 or PS4 and the control doesn't have a huge annoying light. It does 1080p 3D as well which the PS4 cannot do.

Last edited by Pyxle; 03-23-2015 at 09:35 PM.
post #80 of 168 Old 03-23-2015, 11:01 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 23
1. netflix most movies and shows and 4k content
2. amazon 24 tv show. some movies and 4k content.
3. hulu plus for tv shows
4 cinemanow ( my uv movies)
post #81 of 168 Old 03-24-2015, 06:54 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by WHATTHEDILEO View Post
I used to love Vudu, but over the past year every single movie I watch has periods of stuttering, especially in scenes with whole-screen motion, such as pans. I thought it might be choking on bandwidth, so I started fully downloading every movie before watching, and STILL had the issue. Approx. halfway thru the movie, I need to get out, then get back in & resume.
After watching tons of content for the past few years via the VUDU app on my Panasonic Viera, on my Sony Blu-Ray player or iPad, I have never once seen this issue (knock on wood). Sorry to read you are having this problem. As I've stated before, I love this service. Their monthly movies sales are really good (whether liking the movie or not, buying Divergent for $3.99 as a limited time special was less than the rental) with movies for $5 or $7.88. I would do some digging to find that cause and give them another try.
WHATTHEDILEO likes this.
post #82 of 168 Old 03-24-2015, 06:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked: 439
Netflix followed by Youtube.
post #83 of 168 Old 03-24-2015, 12:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post
We're not trying to convince you that School Buses are yellow. We're trying to explain that we wouldn't want to drive one because they don't have the speed or handling of a sports car. We know that you also know that, but you are fine with renting one while on vacation. We are not.
Burn!!!!!!!!!

post #84 of 168 Old 03-24-2015, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Here lately I've been trying VidAngel. I like my content filtered and less filthy. Quality wise, not so good compared to Blu-Ray.
porpie likes this.
post #85 of 168 Old 03-24-2015, 02:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Still not a supporter of streaming. Compromises in audio and video quality, lack of features and cutting-edge tech (i.e. Atmos), digital a/v artifacts while playing, buffering, internet service download caps, lack of ability to save something so that ***I*** own it and can play it whenever and wherever I want to, etc--thanks, but I stick with physical media.

Now, I'm an Amazon Prime member, so when I need to watching something in lower quality and compromises not so important (i.e. catching up on one or two old episodes of "24" I missed) I'll use their streaming service, since it's free and takes up minimal room in my internet download cap.
post #86 of 168 Old 03-24-2015, 02:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked: 306
I wouldn't count Youtube here as it's free also some others are download only. Gave up streaming years ago. Just got back on Directv. There's really no way to cut the cord if you like sports. So Directv and then I put everything else in Plex or from BD.

This line intentionally left blank.
post #87 of 168 Old 03-24-2015, 04:08 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by classicrecording View Post
I have used Netflix in Canada on and off for 3 or more years, and the selection for family viewing is very disappointing.
If you have a Netflix Canada account you can use a service like https://www.unblock-us.com/ to access U.S/UK/Mex etc regions.
post #88 of 168 Old 03-24-2015, 04:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 594 Post(s)
Liked: 965
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeviledTiger View Post
I have used Netflix (not 4K), iTunes, Amazon and Vudu -- in order of frequency of use.

The bottom line is that the Netflix library is pretty large and the stuff generally streams pretty well....unless you're expecting flawless PQ and loss-less HD audio. I also agree that their PQ gets a bad rap. It's not BluRay -- but I don't need that on every single thing I watch. Netflix original stuff (House of Cards) is pretty darn good as well. They also have hours upon hours of Curious George...which my 2 year old is a big fan of.

I use quite a bit of iTunes....for TV episodes that I've missed and can't find on the proprietary sites/apps offered by the networks.

Amazon -- I tend to check this first as I'm a Prime member but don't use it as often as I find that the content isn't there. That said, they're moving forward with their own original content and a desire to be a player in the online content creation space. While I haven't watched it yet, my wife tells me that Transparent is an amazing series. Audio and Video seem, thus far, pretty consistent with Netflix...although I'll admit this past week while watching "The Big Lebowski" on my laptop that it was dropping video every 1-2 minutes...just for a frame or two...but noticeable.

Vudu -- I thought this service would be awsome -- full 1080p/24fps HD video and 5.1 audio....a streaming service for those of us who care about what something looks and sounds like from time-to-time. I tried it a few times when it was brand new to 3rd-party blu-rays...and it kept downgrading my service due to bandwidth...so I haven't used it since that time. Admittedly, at the time I was using wifi in my house rather than running cable...so maybe it was only mostly the Vudu service bandwidth....but still. Is there any reason to try this service out again?
When we first installed ROKU it was accessing our network via Wifi. Our office router and home theater are at opposite ends of the house, and I was using a wifi booster half way in between. Whenever we tried to run the HDX 1080p option, Vudu would downgrade the resolution and buffer constantly. Now we have it on a home run of cat-6 directly to the router through a gigabit switch in the A/V rack in the HT room. Vudu HDX streams flawlessly, never buffers and always looks much better than Amazon or Netflix. ROKU lets you load speedtest.net as a channel on their media player. Use it to check out your downstream speed at the player. Now that our ROKU is hardwired I'm getting just under 100 Mbps at the player.
post #89 of 168 Old 03-24-2015, 05:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked: 439
Looks like Netflix is running away with this poll!
post #90 of 168 Old 03-24-2015, 06:11 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I use Netflix for streaming mostly movies, documentrys, and TV series. I get the Netflix DVDs also. I cut the cable bit about 6 years ago and have OTA TV in HD and get about 45 channels where I live. The only bad part is the cost of my DSL from Comcast which is 39.95 now but going up to 64.00 in about 10 months. I get 25-30 MPS and am wired in, so I don't get buffering. I used to have AT & T but they kept climbing in price and the download speed was only 2.5 MPS. I only had buffering once in a while. I don't mind the picture quality on Netflix, and consider that half the time the movies and the time they were made, or by whom has a lot to do with the quality. Sure Blu-Ray DVDs are better though. I watch a lot of 3D movies on my projector, that I buy used. It's all a way lot better than we had 20 years ago.

JCP.. Optoma HD142x, 120" DaLite, Pioneer Elite SC-LX501, Klipsch Heresy fronts and backs, Infinity center, Klipsch KG-2 sides, Velodyne HGS 18" sub, Paradigm PW2200 sub, Advent AV550S sub, Energy 15" sub. Panasonic BDT-310 & Sony BDP-S790 Blu-Rays.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Community News & Polls

Tags
frontpage , Polls

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page