What Is Your Favorite Streaming-Video Provider? - Page 6 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
View Poll Results: What Is Your Favorite Streaming-Video Provider?
Amazon Instant Video 103 13.83%
Blockbuster On Demand 0 0%
CinemaNow 0 0%
Hulu 17 2.28%
iTunes 24 3.22%
Netflix 379 50.87%
Vudu 85 11.41%
YouTube 31 4.16%
Other 42 5.64%
I don't watch streamed video 64 8.59%
Voters: 745. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 32Likes

post #151 of 168 Old 03-30-2015, 08:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post
Well worth it to YOU, and that is fine with me.

EDIT: You could have also rented the series on Blu-ray, just as you "rented" the streamed version. It wouldn't have cost $180. At $2 per disc, it would be a total of $18, with Netflix by mail, it would be included in your subscription, as would the other stuff you had streamed.

As I keep repeating, I wouldn't pay even half of what Netflix charges for streaming because of the video and audio quality alone. Let alone to watch a series I am uninterested in. I also won't buy chicken fingers in a restaurant just because it's cheaper than a rib-eye, or go to a steak house when I want Chinese. For me, it's not about bargains, it's about getting what I want. I am not a tech snob either. I will watch Black and White movies that were filmed in Black and White, but I wouldn't watch a color movie presented in Black and White, no matter the price.

I also won't watch movies with cropped aspect ratios, poor compression artifacts and lowered resolution, especially when better versions are available. If I am at a restaurant, I don't order the cheapest thing on the menu, I order what I'm hungry for. If there's nothing I like on the menu, I leave the restaurant (have you never done that?). If I think the food or service is bad, I don't come back (have you never done that?). There are several restaurants that I won't return to that still have customers. I have nothing against those customers eating there, they think it's worth it.

Preaching to the choir. I prefer discs. Streaming is only for convenience. I feel it is well worth the cost, and the quality isn't nearly as poor as it used to be with HD streaming (if the ISP isn't choking my bandwidth). But for my favorite films, it's Blu Ray only.
GreySkies likes this.

Stand tall and shake the heavens...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 168 Old 03-30-2015, 08:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked: 436
post #153 of 168 Old 03-30-2015, 02:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I am a long time Amazon Prime subscriber so when they added instant video, I was hooked. Plenty of stuff to keep my 5 year old occupied, and enough variety for me to not really desire the extra cash outlay for NetFlix. The addition of HBO series is a nice bonus, and the ability to download a lot of the TV shows to my Kindle for offline viewing keeps me a happy commuter on the train to work.

Can't beat the quality of Blu-ray, but HD from Amazon is generally good enough on my 70" Vizio 4K P702ui-B3(50Mbps internet).

post #154 of 168 Old 03-30-2015, 04:02 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I have fairly high internet bandwidth, I forget specifically what its rated for.. but I frequently see it at around 85mb down: fairly accommodating for streaming. My wife at Netflix before we married and we have continued the service which is convenient. I also have Amazon prime so we get some streaming along with that subscription - however Oppo doesn't have the amazon app (see below) - so that kills my interest a lot. Vudu has a nice service we use infrequently, I think their higher end HDX stuff looks and sounds really good. I voted Netflix since its used the most but there are other offerings that are attractive.

addendum:
If you are an Oppo owner and wished you had Amazon's prime streaming service, it seems you need to call Amazon and complain:
Daniel,

Unfortunately due to a lack of interest by Amazon, and other streaming partners, to work with us to get their streaming service integrated into our players, there is likely no future potential of us adding Amazon, HULU or similar streaming services through a future firmware release.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
2629B Terminal Blvd.
Mountain View, CA 94043
Service@oppodigital.com
Tel: 650-961-1118
Fax: 650-961-1119
post #155 of 168 Old 03-31-2015, 06:01 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Interesting how some prefer Netflix's video quality and some prefer Amazon's. At my house, Amazon's VQ is WAY, WAY better. Perhaps it boils down to your internet connection, then? There's no way I could ever have the bandwidth to stream 4k, and in fact Netflix usually bumps me down to SD. Amazon always seems to run at 1080p for me and the colors seem better for some reason. I'm guessing their codecs are entirely different and are probably pretty scaleable.

Either way, I really do enjoy both services overall. I use Prime anyway for the shipping benefits since I live in the boonies, so the video (and music!) streaming is really just icing on the cake. I do always find myself using Netflix more though, due to the library as well as them being really, really good at picking out suggestions for me and my viewing patterns.
post #156 of 168 Old 04-12-2015, 10:24 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I don't mind paying Blue-ray quality streaming service....
post #157 of 168 Old 04-12-2015, 11:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked: 1218
Quote:
Originally Posted by nippit View Post
I don't mind paying Blue-ray quality streaming service....

Heard the quality is off the charts but ordering the stream online is mighty slow. And you need to use one of those shiny disk things.
post #158 of 168 Old 04-13-2015, 11:53 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Amazon prime & Netflix
post #159 of 168 Old 04-19-2015, 09:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1752 Post(s)
Liked: 1396
"Warner Brothers is the first studio to remaster movies for Dolby Vision, Vudu is the first streaming service to announce that it will stream the format, and Vizio's Reference UHDTVs are the first to support Dolby Vision. It's the first time I've seen a stream that unquestionably beats Blu-ray quality."

It's likely a UHD 4K disk will be even better but the point is streaming can achieve excellent PQ.

Vizio Reference Series HDR UHDTVs at 2015 Product Showcase

LG 65C7
LG 55EG9100 - Bedroom
Vizio SB4051-C0 Soundbar w/wireless Subwoofer
post #160 of 168 Old 04-19-2015, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 879 Post(s)
Liked: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by venus933 View Post
"Warner Brothers is the first studio to remaster movies for Dolby Vision, Vudu is the first streaming service to announce that it will stream the format, and Vizio's Reference UHDTVs are the first to support Dolby Vision. It's the first time I've seen a stream that unquestionably beats Blu-ray quality."

It's likely a UHD 4K disk will be even better but the point is streaming can achieve excellent PQ.

Vizio Reference Series HDR UHDTVs at 2015 Product Showcase

Quadruple the resolution, higher contrast ratio, extended color gamut...that's one way to equal Blu-ray when streaming, but it isn't here yet, just as Blu-ray quality isn't here yet.

Quote:
...the format Vudu plans to stream later this year.
(from your link)

If they can't (won't) even stream Blu-ray quality, what makes you think they will actually stream UltraHD quality? I predict that they will use UHD source material and use its name to market yet another watered down stream.

I hope I'm wrong, and if I am, I'll be switching back to streaming in a heartbeat.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb
_____________________ http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/auger-handle/ ____________________________

Last edited by Augerhandle; 04-19-2015 at 12:18 PM.
post #161 of 168 Old 06-14-2015, 07:33 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Trying Amazon Prime for 30 days free. So far not impressed with there library of movies and some of their movies are *hitty quality. I do love the free 2nd day air b having Prime, but the movie selection stinks!
post #162 of 168 Old 06-14-2015, 04:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked: 1218
Quote:
Originally Posted by AR223 View Post
Trying Amazon Prime for 30 days free. So far not impressed with there library of movies and some of their movies are *hitty quality. I do love the free 2nd day air b having Prime, but the movie selection stinks!
I use it for the two day air mostly, joined it for that long before the movies became available. Having said that, I do find movies on it that I don't see elsewhere, but for streaming my choice is VUDU and Netflix.
post #163 of 168 Old 10-23-2016, 06:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Heads up on VidAngel. I jumped in to give it a whirl. The app is equal to Netflix in ease of use. The content seems to be pretty good on current stuff. The filters work very well.

The bad: Video Quality, even in the HD stream, is just about at DVD...maybe a bit better. It does not match BluRay, not for a theater sized screen anyway. The audio is also 2.0, even in the HD stream. On many movies, I can live with a drop in video quality, but in the modern world, 2.0 just doesn't cut the mustard. Here's hoping they get it figured out soon.

I'm glad I'm in, but unfortunately, it will be used strictly for watching those movies that I don't care to watch in high quality. For instance, they have several old movies that are dialogue driven (Young Frankenstein). Some of those I want the kids to watch and we will do so through VidAngel on the tv. Watching the old movies for $1 seems a fair deal.

The "Twinseltown" Theater
Construction Thread
post #164 of 168 Old 10-27-2016, 11:38 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Dare I say, Kodi?
post #165 of 168 Old 02-17-2017, 04:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I have Netflix and Vudu but do not use any service to purchase digital movies as I would rather have them on physical media. Vudu is for backing up my 1080p blu-ray and 4K UHD blu-rays and I might occasionally rent a title through vudu but I do not purchase movies that way. Dolby Digital Plus might be ok for rental but I do not purchase titles with Dolby Digital or Dolby Digital Plus or lossy DTS anymore. Any title must be at minimum 1080p video and lossless audio!
Augerhandle likes this.

Supporter of 1080p & 4K/UHD video (173 480p DVD Titles, 325 1080p Blu-ray Titles - 44 UHD 4K Blu-ray Titles - 75 HD-DVD's & Vudu 57)/ Supporter of Lossless PCM, Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio. Samsung UHD 4K Blu-ray Player UBD-K8500
post #166 of 168 Old 02-21-2017, 07:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Voted Netflix, but ...

We ditched Cable TV more than a dozen years ago, and now use OTA (plenty there if one is willing to tolerate commercials) or internet exclusively.

I did vote Netflix, as it is commonly used by all members of my household, and I consider it a ridiculously good deal at less than $12/mo for unlimited HD and 4 platforms simultaneously and never has a glitch on our 50/5 Mbs service.

However, the most hours per week on our newish Samsung 65KS8000 are certainly on the "OTHER" category. Foreign Dramas on "Daegu" (sp?) and "DramaFever" (both available directly using the Samsung App search function) watched by the spouse are either free or about $5/mo, offer a great deal of variety, and do very well as far as picture quality and have acceptable (using Yamaha AVR to 3.1 Paradigms) audio.

I am sure that there are many other app streaming channels that merit mention or exploration by our community, all I can really say is the more the merrier when it comes to variety of sources for our entertainment. Explore, experiment, and have FUN!!

How else can we justify what is spent on this silly hobby?

Regards,
Mike K

post #167 of 168 Old 02-24-2017, 09:03 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
FilmStruck has best content for me, but Netflix is more consistent quality wise.
post #168 of 168 Old 05-21-2017, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Netflix has come a long a way in picture quality, there are still grievances of course, like the grain they insert in some offerings (codec related?). But I remember 8 years or so ago, their HD touting of their library was a joke.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Community News & Polls

Tags
frontpage , Polls

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page