What Is Your Favorite Streaming-Video Provider? - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
View Poll Results: What Is Your Favorite Streaming-Video Provider?
Amazon Instant Video 95 13.91%
Blockbuster On Demand 0 0%
CinemaNow 0 0%
Hulu 16 2.34%
iTunes 23 3.37%
Netflix 345 50.51%
Vudu 76 11.13%
YouTube 29 4.25%
Other 40 5.86%
I don't watch streamed video 59 8.64%
Voters: 683. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 30Likes

post #1 of 155 Old 03-22-2015, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 1558
What Is Your Favorite Streaming-Video Provider?

Streaming video isn't the be-all and end-all of quality, but it sure is convenient. If you stream, which provider is your fave?

Online streaming is a major source of movies and television shows in home theaters as TVs, Blu-ray players, AV receivers, and game consoles now have streaming apps in their slate of features. Of course, the quality generally isn't up to Blu-ray standards, but it's getting better as codecs improve and users increase the bandwidth into their homes. And it's tough to beat the convenience of streaming whatever you want whenever you want to any device you want.

If you watch streamed-video content in your home theater, what is your favorite provider of that content? Obviously, with so many providers available, I can't list them all here, so I've included an "Other" selection—if you choose that one, leave a comment and let us know who that provider is. Also, I encourage you to leave a comment about why you prefer a particular provider—high picture quality, low cost, wide selection, etc.

Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forum on Twitter
+1 AVS Forum on Google+

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 155 Old 03-22-2015, 12:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Netflix mostly, but i will often stream tv shows directly from the networks website, like if I forgot to set the dvr. I've streamed from the TNT site, from Comedy Central's site and other.
I also stream a lot from Dish Anywhere, though half of that is actually streaming recorded shows direct from my Hopper DVR with Sling (I stream it to my monitor on headphones while my wife watches something else on the actual tv)
post #3 of 155 Old 03-22-2015, 01:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I don't use any streaming video services. I have been unimpressed with the video quality, audio quality, and the constant attack on aspect ratios.
ONDr, heffeque and montyindallas like this.
post #4 of 155 Old 03-22-2015, 01:27 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Netflix is still the king of steaming. I also have the amazon service, but I never use it. Some complain Netflix is nothing but a bunch of catalog titles and there is substance to that compliant, but it also has a ton of documentaries on a wide variety of subjects that I would never get to watch, otherwise. The Netflix original programming is also getting better and better. I like House of Cards a lot. I have noticed the streaming quality has decreased since that FCC ruling (not as fast, snappy, decreased quality), but for $8 or whatever a month, you can't beat it!
tenthplanet and philmike21 like this.

post #5 of 155 Old 03-22-2015, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 15
i like the variety of both NF and Amazon. I think Vudu is supposed to have some of the best tech-spec'd. delivery available at a premium price (HDX?). But that was when I did a 1 month trial 2 years ago. They may all be similar now. There has been a bump in download speeds as well as faster wireless networks in those 2 years plus the advent of 4K is still looming.

NF has more of their own 'themes'. Some of which are pretty good IMO. I am retired and still don't have the time to watch everything I am interested in.
Having 'Prime' is the big incentive with Amazon. But unless you use it also to take advantage of special pricing and free shipping it is not worth for only A/V entertainment.

Samsung PN51F8500, Emotiva UMC200, Emotiva XPA-5, Samsung BD-H5900 BluRay, Dish Hopper, Furman Elite pf-15 conditioner, Dali Ikon (Ikon6, Vokal2, OnWalls) Outlaw Audio LFM-EX subwoofer.
post #6 of 155 Old 03-22-2015, 01:40 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I use both Netflix and Amazon. Netflix has most of the movies, documentaries and 'serious' TV shows while Amazon offers me more stuff like cartoons, anime and reality TV shows. (Or what I call 'trash TV' but sometimes thats exactly what I want. Does anyone know where I can stream Jerry Springer? )
post #7 of 155 Old 03-22-2015, 01:45 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
We can't stream video without having to put up with excessive buffering! This is with Verizon DSL delivering 12.5Mbps as tested, at our location 52 miles west of Wash D.C., so we don't use it. Besides, the quality of Blu-ray source material is vastly superior in many ways, to the streaming we have observed at friends homes who have much higher speed FiOS or Comcast cable service, that delivers streaming video, but its quality is inferior to our Blu-ray material.
post #8 of 155 Old 03-22-2015, 01:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Netflix FTW!

I still have to shake my head sometimes when perusing their selection. It wasn't so long ago that renting a DVD would set you back 6 dollars or so, and you had to have it back within 1 or 2 days in the AM or be subject to late fees. For 8 or 9 dollars a month some 10 years later you get unlimited access to HUNDREDS of movies and television shoes that you can watch at you leisure. It's such an incredible deal when you think about it.

Plus, Netflix went toe to toe with Comcast - that alone is worth a monthly subscription.
gamermwm likes this.
post #9 of 155 Old 03-22-2015, 01:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I like Netflex and Hulu. can't watch Netflex on my PS3 as it won't autoplay to the next episode without stalling at 25%. Works fine on computer and blue ray player which has wi-fi.
post #10 of 155 Old 03-22-2015, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodpaine View Post
We can't stream video without having to put up with excessive buffering! This is with Verizon DSL delivering 12.5Mbps as tested, at our location 52 miles west of Wash D.C., so we don't use it. Besides, the quality of Blu-ray source material is vastly superior in many ways, to the streaming we have observed at friends homes who have much higher speed FiOS or Comcast cable service, that delivers streaming video, but its quality is inferior to our Blu-ray material.
I have less than 8mbps and never had buffering[1080p] on my DSL [Sonic] it seems Verizon really don't want you to do any streaming. As for quality it has been established that it is no Blu Ray for sure, but it is more than adequate and convenient.

sent via Morse code...........

The Hun
post #11 of 155 Old 03-22-2015, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiss_alive View Post
I like Netflex and Hulu. can't watch Netflex on my PS3 as it won't autoplay to the next episode without stalling at 25%. Works fine on computer and blue ray player which has wi-fi.
Try Chromecast, the only thing I use these days for Netflix using one of my tablets as a remote and does autoplay without issues.

sent via Morse code...........

The Hun
post #12 of 155 Old 03-22-2015, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Certainly most video streaming is limited by content. If it is a good move with respect to content, subject matter, drama, actual acting ability (lol), streaming is just fine. Even for the mindless, just entertain me, sci fi or horror movie you missed renting before.
For ultimate technical fidelity streaming still lacks even with faster internet speeds.

Samsung PN51F8500, Emotiva UMC200, Emotiva XPA-5, Samsung BD-H5900 BluRay, Dish Hopper, Furman Elite pf-15 conditioner, Dali Ikon (Ikon6, Vokal2, OnWalls) Outlaw Audio LFM-EX subwoofer.
post #13 of 155 Old 03-22-2015, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I use both Vudu and Netflix but Dish isn't set up to get 5.1 sound from Netflix so I go with Vudu so I can get DD+.
post #14 of 155 Old 03-22-2015, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 29
AmaUluFlixTube
post #15 of 155 Old 03-22-2015, 03:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Well, I use Amazon as a default since it was part of my Prime package... it's OK.... nothing more,, but when added to Prime music, Kindle lending library and 2 day shipping... it's a nice add on.
post #16 of 155 Old 03-22-2015, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Add up the costs of subscriptions, bandwidth, equipment, etc; and weigh it against the lack of quality and quantity, and it's not cost effective. But just as with their $150 phone plans and $200 cable TV and Dish subscriptions, the cattle will continue to feed at the trough.

IMO, YMMV, etc, etc.
Tim Glover likes this.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #17 of 155 Old 03-22-2015, 03:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Scott, great timing as I'm seriously considering cutting the cord right now.

I signed up for the trial version of Prime and really enjoyed their original series, Bosch. I use NF for my blu-ray rentals and was thinking of adding the streaming service too.

With OTA, NF (disk and streaming), and Prime I think I'll have all my bases covered.

Also looking at adding a ChannelMaster DVR+ at some point down the road if I miss the ability to watch & record local content or if streaming becomes a hassle.
post #18 of 155 Old 03-22-2015, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 327
I stream Netflix but would prefer having blu rays sent in the mail to me. However, their blu ray selection has become so poor, and most of the time you have to wait months to get what you want. Unfortunately, Netflix like other streaming services, really do not care about video quality anymore.
montyindallas likes this.
post #19 of 155 Old 03-22-2015, 04:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 118
XMBC (Kodi) for me.

SOUND: Marantz AV-7702 Pre/Pro, McIntosh MC1706 Amp,
Klipsch RF7-II's, Klipsch RC64-II (Soon), Klipsch RS62-II (Soon)

VIDEO:
Samsung PN64F8500 Plasma TV, Oppo 103D Blue Ray Player
post #20 of 155 Old 03-22-2015, 04:17 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I don't really stream any video but my wife streams Downton Abbey all the time from Amazon.
post #21 of 155 Old 03-22-2015, 04:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 100
I said other because I use Netflix, Hulu Plus, and Vudu equally, they each provide something that the other may not, I also use a few other smaller streaming services, and I use either a ChromeCast (mainly for Vudu still the jerks dropped support on the Nexus Player) and a Nexus Player for everything else...

Projector: BenQ w1070 v1.06 + Painted N9 Grey 120" Screen
AVR: Onkyo TX-NR636 ATMOS + Darbee Media Player: Panasonic DMP-BDT 321 + Nexus Player
Speakers: Polk Audio TSX550t (FL, FR), CS2 Series II (Center), Monitor40 Series II (RL, RR),
Onkyo THX Bookshelf Speakers (Ceiling L,R) + Dual JL Audio 12" Subs + ButtKicker LFE Arrangement: 5.2.2
post #22 of 155 Old 03-22-2015, 04:44 PM

Liked: 80
I voted Vudu.

I only stream TV shows, made for TV documentaries, some made for TV educational. I use Vudo becaue my older OPPO BDP-93 has the best support for Vudu. Also because Vudu quality is great compared to Dish DVR and it's less expensive buying shows Ala-cart on Vudu than getting a cable or sat service. The other reason for Vudu rather than Netflix is the next day viewing for current shows rather then next year for Netflix. Even so I still view most TV shows on BD via Netflix and a few purchases.

I only have 9200Kbps service with Centurylink Business and can still stream without hiccups/buffering, those with higher speeds that are having problem are either being throttled or dealing with a network bottleneck.

Cheers,
post #23 of 155 Old 03-22-2015, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 117
I use two main ones.

Netflix for movies
Hulu for TV

I am still not sold on any "rental" one.

Trying to enjoy the simple things in life.

Steam: madbrayniak

post #24 of 155 Old 03-22-2015, 05:31 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodpaine View Post
You might want to experiment with your router's DNS settings. Before I did this a trace route showed that my Netflix content was coming from a server located in JAPAN! And I'm in the central United States. I switched to using a Speak easy DNS server in Chicago instead of the address that came from my ISP and it cured the problem.
post #25 of 155 Old 03-22-2015, 05:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 103
m

I stream Netflix through Roku

m

8.3 Surround, protected by APC H15 & UPS BC750G
Speakers: SpeakerCraft: 6 AIM8 Fives & 2 TIME Fives used as Wides
Woofers: SVS PB13-Ultra (1), HSU MBM-12 MK2 (2)
Samsung PN64F8500
Oppo 93, Denon 4311CI, Harmony 1100, 9 Noctua cooling fans, Darbee Darblet
post #26 of 155 Old 03-22-2015, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCARCIO View Post
I use both Vudu and Netflix but Dish isn't set up to get 5.1 sound from Netflix so I go with Vudu so I can get DD+.
I have Dish also, but rely mostly on Roku or my Samsung BD player for streaming since I get it all when it comes to audio.

post #27 of 155 Old 03-22-2015, 05:41 PM

Liked: 33
I have used Netflix in Canada on and off for 3 or more years, and the selection for family viewing is very disappointing.
post #28 of 155 Old 03-22-2015, 06:28 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hulu on my PS4.
post #29 of 155 Old 03-22-2015, 06:28 PM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 113
I voted netflix, but it's really more a case of "hate the least" than prefer.

I would hardly ever use for movies, in that sense netflix and other services has substituted regular tv, which atm only shows either sports, "reality" based tv and sprinkled with a ****-ton of commercials for gambling websites and there is only one think I despise more than annoying commercials and "reality" based tv, and that's sports, so yea.

I still buy blueray's like they where coming into style.
Quality wise you would have to be pretty blind and death not to notice the difference between streamed and disc.

I technically watch netflix etc in my HT, but that's mainly since I can only afford the one system, I hardly ever uses it with the projector unless I'm kinda drunk or something or going to watch a BD movie.
post #30 of 155 Old 03-22-2015, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by videoaddikt View Post
I have Dish also, but rely mostly on Roku or my Samsung BD player for streaming since I get it all when it comes to audio.
Unfortunately my Oppo BD player has an older version of Netflix and cannot be updated. I have the Oppo 93 and I called them and was told no update for that model and lower is possible. So only stereo for me......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Community News & Polls

Tags
frontpage , Polls

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page