Laser-Illuminated Projection Around the World - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 23Likes

post #31 of 99 Old 05-12-2015, 10:55 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 706 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigma722 View Post
Right on. No way I could even consider owning one, but was interested in the logistics of how theaters can justify the upgrade. Thanks for the info. That's mind blowing.
Though nothing official has been released, Dolby Cinema cost are about $3.5 million a screen, certain places with different labor markets might see this figure exceed $4 million dollars or go below $3 million dollars. Dolby is underwriting a lot of those costs, still a healthy cash outlay for theater owners. So far looks like a very good return on investment.

And the payoff is never certain: Some observers contend that a generation has already been trained to be content with the small screen.

Some servers can do non-encrypted playback to an A/V projector, but it's just a ridiculously expensive media player if you don't have a cinema projector.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 99 Old 05-13-2015, 01:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Mike Ferrara View Post
Seems to me that theaters have to improve the user experience beyond what they can get at home.

Dark pictures with crappy black levels and headache inducing judder, plus faux 3D that adds nothing to the experience, except maybe nausea and migraines. Oh, did I mention crappy sound at ear-bleeding levels. And a box of crappy popcorn and watered down soda at a cost greater than the ticket.

Want me to go on?
I saw the Avengers 2 at a company event pre-screening up at the Shoreline theater (http://www.cinemark.com/theatre-deta...?node_id=1625&). Sound was great but didn't really have that 'enveloping' characteristic.. at least not to a point that it stood out (which could arguably be a good or bad thing I suppose). 3D is better than it was for Avatar (which gave me headaches) but honestly, its distracting.. I would never pay the additional price for it personally and outside of a space documentary its just not important to me. Theater seats were bomb... the 'luxury loungers' (http://www.cinemark.com/luxury-loungers.aspx) were definitely a step up from basic theater seats and helped to convince the wife we should have a few of these at home...

That being said - I still enjoy the experience from my own home much more. I still have a DTS 7.1 system, which may seem archaic, but after watching Interstellar on BluRay with the DTS -MA track... well, the sound experience is memorable and engrossing. I am behind on upgrading my visual HT elements but when properly tuned that Pioneer Elite still looks darn good. I'd like to see a laser projection theater but the interest is primarily curiosity.. I am sure I am in the minority, but the theater experience is just not there for me. The actual presentation is pretty good but not leaps and bounds beyond the HT and a $5 soda and $10 popcorn (seriously...) which was a somewhat flat drink and pre-popped crap detracts more than it adds to the experience.

As a side note, when I was in Korea I saw the first Iron Man movie (ironically, not that I am in infatuated with superhero content) at the megaplex under the Intercontinental hotels. The thing I remember most about the experience (other than navigating assigned seating when purchasing the tickets in a foreign language) was the freshly made caramel corn... it was tremendously good. Fresh popcorn as well..

Sort of a long way to a point (I just landed in London for business.. and have a little idle time - apologies), but I am beginning to think that exceeding the HT experience is becoming less about that actual theater equipment and more about the over all experience. WAY overpriced snacks and drinks, noisy kids, etc... trump a lot of expensive technology. Anyhow - just some blabbering thoughts while shuttling from Heathrow...
post #33 of 99 Old 05-15-2015, 01:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 390
https://www.amctheatres.com/amc-prime

This site shows that the AMC in Burbank is not getting Dolby Cinema til June 18... I really don't want to spend $26 (plus $2 service fee) for the El Capitan Theater to watch Tomorrow Land.

EDIT:

I emailed AMC last night about Dolby Cinema at Burbank, here is their response

Quote:
Hello ******!

I understand you were curious about the opening date of our newly remodeled Dolby Cinema opening. I'm unsure if you were aware of the following information, but our renovation starting date has been pushed to June 1st and is expected to be ready by the release of the new Pixar film 'Inside Out', June 16. Of course this is the best case scenario and we hope no further delays occur.

Please let me know if I can provide any additional information.
My contact information is stated below.

Thank you!

DIY Sound Group: Information and Tips

Last edited by Mrkazador; 05-15-2015 at 01:09 PM.

post #34 of 99 Old 05-15-2015, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinemaAndy View Post
Commercial cinema applications from Barco and Christie start off at $400K+ minus the lens or anything else. Even if you had the cash, getting one right now is out of the question, however Digital Projection and a few others are selling laser projectors from the $40K up price range with a short to no waiting list or other requirements.
I just hooked up my DP Highlite Laser in my home theater this week. It is very bright and the colors are vivid.
I look forward to the calibration process to verify how accurate it really is.
post #35 of 99 Old 05-16-2015, 01:16 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 706 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by natewick View Post
I just hooked up my DP Highlite Laser in my home theater this week. It is very bright and the colors are vivid.
I look forward to the calibration process to verify how accurate it really is.
A lot of people i know are happy with it, installed it in a few theatres for the pre show stuff. My only problem is the 11,000 lumens and 2,000:1 contrast it maintains. Seems like DP could have worked on those numbers some, maybe it will accept a upgrade or hop up. The big ones are in the 100,000:1 to contrast ratio and it shows big time.

And the payoff is never certain: Some observers contend that a generation has already been trained to be content with the small screen.

Some servers can do non-encrypted playback to an A/V projector, but it's just a ridiculously expensive media player if you don't have a cinema projector.
post #36 of 99 Old 05-18-2015, 03:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrkazador View Post
https://www.amctheatres.com/amc-prime

This site shows that the AMC in Burbank is not getting Dolby Cinema til June 18...
Does anyone else know anything about the schedules, beyond what is posted on the official website? I just got off the phone with whoever answers phones at movie theaters (probably not upper management...) The guy at North Point says it's supposed to be Tomorrowland to start in the new AMC Prime house this weekend, but he wasn't 100% sure that it would actually happen. Maybe he's just hedging because the schedule for the weekend hasn't been released yet, or maybe there are concerns about delay. Anybody know anything? I'll probably be buying tickets for a showing this weekend as soon as I can be sure I'm getting a good seat in the right house.
post #37 of 99 Old 05-21-2015, 02:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well, I'm sure most of you are not near a new AMC Prime cinema, so you may not share my excitement. Finally today, within only a few hours of the first showing of Tomorrowland, my local AMC Prime cinema (AMC North Point Mall 12 - which is not actually very close and I have not been there in years - it's 35 miles from my house) has gotten their showtimes finalized and published. I just bought tickets for a matinee this Monday (Memorial Day). Very excited. I think I picked good seats.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	good seats.JPG
Views:	302
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	729354  
Aras_Volodka likes this.
post #38 of 99 Old 05-21-2015, 07:54 PM
wse
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2204 Post(s)
Liked: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
No such luck where I live...yet.
Same here Only ATMOS
post #39 of 99 Old 05-21-2015, 10:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 859 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulFred View Post
Well, I'm sure most of you are not near a new AMC Prime cinema, so you may not share my excitement. Finally today, within only a few hours of the first showing of Tomorrowland, my local AMC Prime cinema (AMC North Point Mall 12 - which is not actually very close and I have not been there in years - it's 35 miles from my house) has gotten their showtimes finalized and published. I just bought tickets for a matinee this Monday (Memorial Day). Very excited. I think I picked good seats.
I'm curious to hear your impressions as well, including on your seating location. A dolby cinema is opening near me July 1st... I hope we get a list of other HDR releases in the near future. Inside out will be the first one I'll get to see (I hope)
post #40 of 99 Old 05-25-2015, 02:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aras_Volodka View Post
I'm curious to hear your impressions as well, including on your seating location.
There are definitely changes and improvements in most regards brought by Dolby Cinema. They're not revolutionary, but evolutionary. As you probably read in Scott's piece about his experience (Tomorrowland in Dolby Vision HDR and Atmos at El Capitan Theatre), the laser projection system is top notch. Black levels are unparalleled in commercial cinema - subjectively as good or better than my plasma at home. The calibration and setup in these special Dolby Cinemas is very good - things that often get fudged, like the image geometry and zoom are spot on after what I assume was a few days of careful calibration by someone from Dolby (not just someone from AMC). Shadow detail is exceptional and the colors are vibrant and natural in the movie - obviously some of that has to do with the mastering and post-production in general, and some of is has to do with the playback system.

Tomorrowland presents a world that is intended to look real. It achieves this more than any movie I have seen before it. Still, this looks like a movie. For film fans of all but the youngest generations, there is a need for movies to look a certain way - depth of field and motion especially have a characteristic look which Dolby Vision does not disturb. In contrast, if you saw any of The Hobbit films in HFR 3D you have seen some emerging technologies which challenge the expectations of movie-goers. For this reason, Dolby Vision is probably the best way I know to see a movie in a commercial setting. For some films and film fans, IMAX may still represent a superior experience - but I think in terms of brightness and contrast Dolby Vision presents a more life-like image.

AMC Prime features Dolby Cinema, which includes Dolby Vision - the HDR laser projection technology - as well as Dolby Atmos. Atmos is used to great effect in Tomorrowland. Music vocals are directed from overhead in some scenes; distinct sound effects are presented from off-screen - even dialog; and of course plenty of crash and whiz noises from all around. Here is where AMC Prime has missed the mark, in my opinion. The seating is arranged with a very steep slope, and behind the heads of most of the viewers is a tall wall, atop which is the next row. In this way, a person in row E, where I sat, could stand up fully and leave without obstructing the view of someone in row F - so that's great. But the wall directly behind a listener's head interrupts the surround presentation - cutting off the rear dimension abruptly. Regal RPX cinemas don't have this, so for sound I prefer to forgo the recliners at AMC in favor of the rockers at Regal.

The recliners are quite nice, however. They recline in an unusual way - not like a traditional laz-y-boy. They have more adjustments with independent control. But they are missing head rests. They also include tactile transducers of some sort. That's not for me either, so I'll hope that Regal brings Dolby Vision to RPX. I'm not sure if I'll make the trek to the AMC for Star Wars or Spectre this fall, but I might. I think neither of those will be mastered with HDR, so I'll probably stick with Regal - your mileage may vary.
post #41 of 99 Old 05-25-2015, 04:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 859 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulFred View Post
Here is where AMC Prime has missed the mark, in my opinion. The seating is arranged with a very steep slope, and behind the heads of most of the viewers is a tall wall, atop which is the next row. In this way, a person in row E, where I sat, could stand up fully and leave without obstructing the view of someone in row F - so that's great. But the wall directly behind a listener's head interrupts the surround presentation - cutting off the rear dimension abruptly. Regal RPX cinemas don't have this, so for sound I prefer to forgo the recliners at AMC in favor of the rockers at Regal.
I have noticed this exact same issue (with the wall)... which is why I think I prefer my own Atmos setup @ home vs. the cinema. There is an RPX theater in my area but it's sound is very spotty... sometimes very good & other times too quiet. There is an ICON theater in my area which has a very good Atmos setup... but you have to sit in the right spot. Though even @ the ICON theater, the rear surrounds are a bit faint for some reason. It's a shame that AMC prime runs into the same issue... I wonder if they are all build the exact same way?
post #42 of 99 Old 05-26-2015, 04:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I suppose they are not - at least the TCL theater where Scott has been hosted for the advanced screenings - and presumably any other classic building - has kept its seeting. I would imagine that most, if not all, of the newly remodeled houses will be this way. But that's just a guess.
post #43 of 99 Old 05-28-2015, 01:56 PM
DAB
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 53
It's interesting that there is not a theater in Dolby's own home town>> SF CA
post #44 of 99 Old 06-26-2015, 02:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Has anyone seen any laser HDR in New York, NY, AMC Empire 25 ? I called up and they're showing Jurassic World - it's listed as reserved seating (in their Dolby Prime theater)
Anyone gone could give a review, whether it's worth the $21

thx

Last edited by cgott42; 06-26-2015 at 02:14 PM.
post #45 of 99 Old 07-01-2015, 01:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 390
Looks like Dolby Cinema is open at AMC Burbank 16, too bad they're not showing anything in HDR.

DIY Sound Group: Information and Tips
post #46 of 99 Old 07-22-2015, 11:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
No such luck where I live...yet.
+1

Vizio M501d-A2R(Calibrated), LG BD-330, Pioneer VSX-524-K, Custom DIY LCR Mains, DIY Sub ( Kicker 10c124, 2.25 ft3, 19 hz tune, powered by xm-sd46x(using only rear channel in bridge mode, 150watts), powered by 400w atx power supply.) Work in progress.
post #47 of 99 Old 07-23-2015, 06:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 129
I wonder how they chose the cities to have this new technology. Nothing for Chicago (don't worry, we won't shoot).
post #48 of 99 Old 07-25-2015, 04:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1544 Post(s)
Liked: 476
An IMAX with laser projection is opening here in Dubai on September 28 along with the largest 4DX theater in the country.
post #49 of 99 Old 07-25-2015, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1620 Post(s)
Liked: 4370
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug View Post
I wonder how they chose the cities to have this new technology. Nothing for Chicago (don't worry, we won't shoot).
Actually, there's one opening in Vernon Hills, which is a bit north of Chicago, at the AMC Hawthorn 12. I don't know when it will be open, but go back to the OP of this thread and click on the link to that theater, which I just added.

Scott Wilkinson
Editor, AVS Forum
post #50 of 99 Old 07-25-2015, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1620 Post(s)
Liked: 4370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain View Post
An IMAX with laser projection is opening here in Dubai on September 28 along with the largest 4DX theater in the country.
That will be great, I'm sure. Can you post the exact name of the theater and a link to it, or send me a PM with that info? I'll add it to the list. Thanks!

Scott Wilkinson
Editor, AVS Forum
post #51 of 99 Old 07-25-2015, 02:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1544 Post(s)
Liked: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post
That will be great, I'm sure. Can you post the exact name of the theater and a link to it, or send me a PM with that info? I'll add it to the list. Thanks!
http://uae.voxcinemas.com/

If you scroll through the "info box" on the main page, you'll find a quick ad/brief of the new cinemas.
post #52 of 99 Old 07-28-2015, 06:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post
Actually, there's one opening in Vernon Hills, which is a bit north of Chicago, at the AMC Hawthorn 12. I don't know when it will be open, but go back to the OP of this thread and click on the link to that theater, which I just added.
Thanks for the heads up. Vernon Hills is doable (whenever it opens). Too bad it's an AMC theater. They charge the most money for tickets and the one near me has small screens. I avoid them like a plague. Having said that, I would go there once to check out the laser projector. I loathe theaters with dark and dim pictures and hope the laser tech can solve that problem once and for all.
post #53 of 99 Old 09-23-2015, 07:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked: 397
Wow!! I haven't read this thread since you first posted it and went into from the latest HDR movie review on the home page.

I am from the SF Bay Area but in Lincolnshire, IL on business thru next week. That puts me about six minutes according to google from the Vernon Hills, IL AMC.

I will have to see what's playing, not that it matters as this will be my first dip. Will have to check the hub-bub this weekend

Going to check the movie listings now! Should be fun although I am alone on this trip. I can be the lonely geek in the hip theater!

Will report back on my first experience.

Rick
post #54 of 99 Old 09-23-2015, 07:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug View Post
Thanks for the heads up. Vernon Hills is doable (whenever it opens). Too bad it's an AMC theater. They charge the most money for tickets and the one near me has small screens. I avoid them like a plague. Having said that, I would go there once to check out the laser projector. I loathe theaters with dark and dim pictures and hope the laser tech can solve that problem once and for all.
Is it not open yet? I just posted I am here on business and wanted to check it out?

Rick
post #55 of 99 Old 09-24-2015, 10:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.SoftDome View Post
Is it not open yet? I just posted I am here on business and wanted to check it out?

Rick
I checked and it is open. I will get there very soon. Let us know if you are able to visit the theater also.
post #56 of 99 Old 09-29-2015, 08:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

A friend and his wife visited the AMC Theater in Vernon Hills and told me that everything was ok cept for the small screen. I have a problem with AMC around my house also with those just good enough size screens. Every theater should have at least 1 big screen for certain block buster type movies. The Dolby Cinema in the Vernon Hills location had everything else though (reclining & vibrating seats, Dolby Atmos, and laser projector). My friend said the picture was clear, sharp and bright and the sound was outstanding. Hats off to Dolby Cinema.
post #57 of 99 Old 09-30-2015, 11:28 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 2
A new cinema opened in my neck of the woods today: http:///www.thelotent.com I haven't been able to track down any information on their projection or audio systems. Is anyone familiar with what they offer?
post #58 of 99 Old 10-02-2015, 10:40 AM

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Is the HDR impressive in "The Martian"? I'd like to make a short trip to see a film at the AMC 25 Dolby Cinema in NYC, but I want to make sure I see a film that takes full advantage of the technology.

Maybe someone could start a list rating the picture quality of all the films which have been released in Dolby Vision. That information would probably also be relevant for the eventual Ultra HD Blu-ray releases.
post #59 of 99 Old 10-02-2015, 11:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I think the consensus on HDR implementation so far is that Pixels and Tomorrowland are top notch, while Inside Out and Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation are *only* very good. I haven't seen any reports about The Martian, and I won't see it myself until Sunday. Reviews of the movie are good enough for me to go out for it, so I figure I should spring for the premium Dolby Vision when the movie is graded for HDR.
meli likes this.
post #60 of 99 Old 10-07-2015, 07:51 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Scott,

You need to add one more to the list for:
Imax (Barco/Imax LIP, 12.1 Immersive Sound)

this theater:

Sunbrella IMAX 3D Theater, Jordan's Furniture Reading

It's located in Reading Massachusetts, not far from Boston, and seems to be the only dual Laser 4K setup in the New England area so far.

And it's also listed on the IMAX website:
https://www.imax.com/about/laser/

About two weeks ago or so this theater did the upgrade to LIP and 12.1 Sound. Before this it was IMAX digital. It's a very comfortable theater with temperpedic seats and buttkickers for each seat.

I just saw The Walk there last weekend in 3D. I noticed the 3D glasses had Dolby 3D printed on the inside frame. It was a bright punchy picture, the 3D was excellent. My only complaint was quite a bit of what I assume is laser speckle, very noticable in scenes showing the bright sky over NY.

-Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Community News & Polls

Tags
frontpage

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page