Laser-Illuminated Projection Around the World - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 23Likes

post #91 of 99 Old 11-06-2016, 08:29 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post
The Ft Lauderdale 70mm IMAX just got Lasers too.
Thanks for the info, Peter!

Good to know IMAX is finally starting to roll out lasers. Will it also employ their version of immersive 3D audio?

I've been trying to find info on when and where their deployments will be but they have almost nothing stated on the matter.

They have been losing a lot of ground to AMC/Dolby. Maybe even taking too long. Speaking of which, for some reason the AMC Aventura still haven't opened their Dolby Cinema.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 99 Old 11-20-2016, 11:49 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 252
@CINERAMAX, did you see the video of the IMAX Lasers in the MODS? Those things are behemoths! They look 7-8' tall!

Also, looks like AMC Aventura finally opened their Dolby Cinema. Only 2 months late....
post #93 of 99 Old 12-19-2016, 01:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 390
Anyone watch Rogue One in 70mm at Universal CityWalk, CA? What I found interesting is that they first showed movie trailers using the laser projectors then instantly switched to the Dunkirk/Rogue One 70mm showing.

DIY Sound Group: Information and Tips

post #94 of 99 Old 12-20-2016, 05:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Took a google photosphere at the AMC Empire 25 Dolby Cinema after a show this weekend. Shows all the speakers, and the unfortunately placed exit signs

LG OLED 65EF9500
Pioneer SC-95 w/ non-elite Pioneer Andrew Jones 7.1.4, SVS PB1000
DirecTV HR54 & C61K, XBox One S, PS4 Pro, Chromecast Ultra
Former Owner: Samsung UHD UBD-K8500
post #95 of 99 Old 12-29-2016, 01:10 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrkazador View Post
Anyone watch Rogue One in 70mm at Universal CityWalk, CA? What I found interesting is that they first showed movie trailers using the laser projectors then instantly switched to the Dunkirk/Rogue One 70mm showing.
No, how was the theater? Interested in checking it out and seeing how it compares to the nearby Dolby Cinemas, also how did you like Rogue One in 70mm?
post #96 of 99 Old 12-29-2016, 12:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 390
The IMAX theater in Universal CityWalk is a real 1.43:1 screen so seating is steep and close to the screen. You have to look up even if you sit near the middle, I recommend sitting in row K. They also have ceiling speakers so its 12.1 audio. Rogue One was shot with a digital camera so there wasn't anything special about it being in film. I would have preferred watching it in a Dolby Cinema but it was sold out of good seats plus the 3D which I'd rather not watch.

DIY Sound Group: Information and Tips
post #97 of 99 Old 12-30-2016, 12:52 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrkazador View Post
The IMAX theater in Universal CityWalk is a real 1.43:1 screen so seating is steep and close to the screen. You have to look up even if you sit near the middle, I recommend sitting in row K. They also have ceiling speakers so its 12.1 audio. Rogue One was shot with a digital camera so there wasn't anything special about it being in film. I would have preferred watching it in a Dolby Cinema but it was sold out of good seats plus the 3D which I'd rather not watch.
Interesting, I'll have to see Nolan's new movie there when it comes out next year. Dolby Burbank was playing Rogue One in 3D, but Century City Dolby had it in 2D (where I saw it)
post #98 of 99 Old 01-04-2017, 10:55 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
San Francisco - AMC Metreon

I believe the IMAX Auditorium 16 at the SF AMC Metreon has Laser IMAX, and is one of the largest IMAX screens.

They also have Dolby Cinema in auditorium 13 - does that mean lasers as well if it is officially Dolby Cinema certified?

Just saw Rogue One in both auditoriums, and it was fantastic. I preferred 2D in DC vs. 3D in IMAX, but only by a slight margin - I don't like wearing the glasses.
post #99 of 99 Old 01-05-2017, 09:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Mike Ferrara View Post
Seems to me that theaters have to improve the user experience beyond what they can get at home.

Dark pictures with crappy black levels and headache inducing judder, plus faux 3D that adds nothing to the experience, except maybe nausea and migraines. Oh, did I mention crappy sound at ear-bleeding levels. And a box of crappy popcorn and watered down soda at a cost greater than the ticket.

Want me to go on?
Not to mention the audiences. I could live with the crappy sound and video, if only the audiences would shut the f%@! up. :-0

Rarely do members of the same family grow up under the same roof.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Community News & Polls

Tags
frontpage

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page