Do You Prefer Digital or Analog Recordings? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
View Poll Results: Do You Prefer Digital or Analog Recordings?
Digital 285 74.61%
Analog 97 25.39%
Voters: 382. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 72Likes

post #31 of 193 Old 08-04-2015, 09:22 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked: 341
People have to remember that the media is only a container, nothing more.
The best container is the one that is portable, sturdier and most audio transparent.
What you put in you get out perfectly each and every time.

I vote for a sturdy USB stick with FLAC files inside a beautiful case.
Its called USB Album, and in my opinion it is the future of digital audio delivery.
Nothing is mechanically spinning or optically read by a laser (not even talking about a needle scratching a grooved surface... Pfff ).
In my opinion, Solid State or Download is the future for audio delivery (movies are different story... for now).
When the internet will be hyper speed and large solid state storage space is as cheap as an optical disk, optical media goes bye bye (the last of the mechanical containers).

stitch1 and audiofan1 like this.

Last edited by James Freeman; 08-04-2015 at 09:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 193 Old 08-04-2015, 09:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1358 Post(s)
Liked: 611
James,

You bring up some good points, if more music where ripped into HiRez files like the above I would be buying more of it. Currently I am re-ripping all my current CDs to the highest Rez I can get them, over have way through 3000 CDs, I think I have enough music to keep me busy for awhile, hence I have no need to buy a streaming renting service. Like you stated, unless you get fiberoptic lines to your house trying to download a 4K movie is going to be problematic, so I think UHD will keep the optical mechanic drives viable for awhile.
post #33 of 193 Old 08-04-2015, 10:58 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 37
The quality of some old turntables and the way LP has proven to be the best media storage so far, should speak for itself.

Wonder where the USB stick, or CD is in 40-50 years, and will it work.?

Its fun to read comments from people who can list the limitations and problems with vinyl playback as a reason, when its clear to see they never had or had luck putting a reference vinyl setup together.

Setting up a turntable has a lot to do with skills, and you cant get a good setup just trowing money at it.
If you dont have the skills and patience to do a perfect setup and adjustment, save the money and stay digital.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Luxman PD555.jpg
Views:	443
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	868554   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20150804_19_40_38_Pro.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	359.0 KB
ID:	868610  

post #34 of 193 Old 08-04-2015, 11:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Digital, I think that people who legitimately like the sound of vinyl better prefer the less compressed mix to the way overly compressed mixes used for CDs and downloads.
thehun likes this.
post #35 of 193 Old 08-04-2015, 11:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Stridsvogenen: I have nothing against a great turn table setup, as I had a Linn LP12 and some good vinyl and your right it takes a good skill set. I think digital is still young and the CD is around 31+ years and still going, I have just gone through 3000 CDs as I am burning them to the highest rez possible no compression and only 2 won't play so I think the format has been a pretty solid one. Like I stated before much easier to access than to flip through hundreds or thousands of albums from "my" perspective. Just curious what other equipment you have in this perfect setup? I am sure that Luxman PD555 had a much more laid back relaxed sound than the PD444, I take it you have the PD555 armless vacuum from the looks of the picture. I worked at a high end audio store back in my college years and then also a record/CD store, so I am very familiar with Luxman because we use to be a dealer years ago.

Last edited by Garman; 08-04-2015 at 11:48 AM.
post #36 of 193 Old 08-04-2015, 11:51 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I like the best of both worlds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post
Digital recordings are far more prevalent than analog, but the older format continues to hang on with audiophile fans. Are you among them?

These days, analog music recordings are available mostly on vinyl LPs, but believe it or not, cassettes are still around, with over 200,000 commercial titles available on Amazon! And a few audiophiles have reel-to-reel tape decks. On the other hand, digital music abounds on CD, DVD-Audio, SACD, and multitudinous online sources. (Okay, "abounds" is an overstatement for DVD-A and SACD.) And music lovers have strong opinions about which format they prefer.

Which do you prefer, the technical "perfection" of digital or the ineffable character of analog? Keep in mind that I'm talking about uncompressed digital audio here—CD specs or better—not MP3 or other compressed formats. And of course, this is a very simplified question—a lot depends on how the original recording was captured and manipulated before it reached your hands. But in general, which do you tend to prefer?

Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forum on Twitter
+1 AVS Forum on Google+
Obviously if I have to choose based on technical perfection, I say digital. In this case I choose SACD regardless of their prices.

But let me tell you, that I really like to play an LP record and sit down and enjoy all the ritual that involves.

In both formats we can find recordings that really suck!
I hope vinyl records live for many years! last night I was listening to Phil Collins, ...But Seriously! (not a nice mastering) 26 years ago...years keep going...
post #37 of 193 Old 08-04-2015, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post
Stridsvogenen: I have nothing against a great turn table setup, as I had a Linn LP12 and some good vinyl and your right it takes a good skill set. I think digital is still young and the CD is around 31+ years and still going, I have just gone through 3000 CDs as I am burning them to the highest rez possible no compression and only 2 won't play so I think the format has been a pretty solid one. Like I stated before much easier to access than to flip through hundreds or thousands of albums from "my" perspective. Just curious what other equipment you have in this perfect setup? I am sure that Luxman PD555 had a much more laid back relaxed sound than the PD444, I take it you have the PD555 armless vacuum from the looks of the picture. I worked at a high end audio store back in my college years and then also a record/CD store, so I am very familiar with Luxman because we use to be a dealer years ago.
Im not using the vacum on the PD555 i prefer gently clamping the LP, on a thick solid rubber mat. As i posted earlier in this thread, im into both analog and digital, and think they both have qualities if done right.
One of the greatest features about a LP setup is that you have to get up every 30 min or so to change LP or side. From the look of things these days, more people should do that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1451.JPG
Views:	182
Size:	182.6 KB
ID:	868706   Click image for larger version

Name:	forsell__kopi_379.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	199.8 KB
ID:	868714   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20150725_19_56_40_Pro.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	160.5 KB
ID:	868722   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20150727_22_33_36_Pro.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	155.0 KB
ID:	868730  
post #38 of 193 Old 08-04-2015, 12:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 788 Post(s)
Liked: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stridsvognen View Post
The quality of some old turntables and the way LP has proven to be the best media storage so far, should speak for itself.

Its fun to read comments from people who can list the limitations and problems with vinyl playback as a reason, when its clear to see they never had or had luck putting a reference vinyl setup together.

Setting up a turntable has a lot to do with skills, and you cant get a good setup just trowing money at it.
If you dont have the skills and patience to do a perfect setup and adjustment, save the money and stay digital.
First of all there is no such thing as perfect turntable setup,
secondly it's a skill that easily obtainable and it's not rocket science, it's closer to the knowledge how to make a perfect cup of cappuccino really[most starbucks barista's don't know] The issue is not with those of the lack of knowledge or patience, but rather the outcome after the time and money spent.Yes a correctly set up vinyl playback will be better than a poorly one, but the limitations had been outlined is based on the best scenario and remains valid regardless of one's skill or opinion of the matter. BTW one could spend just as much and more on digital gear with those pesky filter options and sampling rates of quad DSD, granted it's not as involving as aligning a tonearm, but nonetheless they meant for "improving" the sound. If one believes in that sort of nonsense. See digital is not just for the "simple minded lazy objectivist" but for the "more evolved audiophiliac" who often has more money than common sense. Enjoy your vinyl setup, it looks splendid!

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

Ex diversis cogitationibus ex cute color.

The Hun

Last edited by thehun; 08-04-2015 at 12:48 PM.
post #39 of 193 Old 08-04-2015, 12:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneJoy View Post
Digital, I think that people who legitimately like the sound of vinyl better prefer the less compressed mix to the way overly compressed mixes used for CDs and downloads.
Yes that's the real issue isn't it.

The Hun
post #40 of 193 Old 08-04-2015, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post
First of all there is no such thing as perfect turntable setup,
secondly it's a skill that easily obtainable and it's not rocket science, it's closer to the knowledge how to make a perfect cup of cappuccino really[most starbucks barista's don't know] The issue is not with those of the lack of knowledge or patience, but rather the outcome after the time and money spent.Yes a correctly set up vinyl playback will be better than a poorly one, but the limitations had been outlined is based on the best scenario and remains valid regardless of one's skill or opinion of the matter. BTW one could spend just as much and more on digital gear with those pesky filter options and sampling rates of quad DSD, granted it's not as involving as aligning a tonearm, but nonetheless they meant for "improving" the sound. If one believes in that sort of nonsense. See digital is not just for the "simple minded lazy objectivist" but for the "more evolved audiophiliac" who often has more money than common sense. Enjoy your vinyl setup!
Ill love to see someone explain the sound signature of anti skating, VTA, azimuth, damping, load impedance, and so on. I have only met a few with those skills.
Now you might laugh, but here the load impedance is adjusted with 1 ohm intervals, and there is no doubt what setting is the right one, These days its hard to find a mc stepup or riaa that can be adjusted at all, or in other than very rough steps.

Im still looking for a CD player to replace my old Denon DCD3560 with Audio Alchemy DTI/XDP dac. No luck so far no matter the price, its kind of annoying not to be able to buy a player i like, where the parts are not obsolete.

Whats the best MC pickup you ever had.?
post #41 of 193 Old 08-04-2015, 01:01 PM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 4588 Post(s)
Liked: 4783
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneJoy View Post
Quote:
Yes that's the real issue isn't it.
What recordings do you listen to to experience the less compressed mix on vinyl vs cd? Can you point me to some backup on that? The compression in vinyl recording doesn't count?
post #42 of 193 Old 08-04-2015, 01:17 PM

Location: The Outer Limits....Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore View Post
tubetwister the video that you posted show exactly the hard work and perfection of the musicians in those ages ,no time for mistakes while recording or playing live on tv and concerts.

this is what we usually see now lip sync and bands not playing live.

I think this massive lip sync and bands not playing live started after the good welcome of digital/CD.
On TV in the 1950's and up they been lip syncing in the USA anyway they did it on the Ed Sullivan show and American Bandstand for example and lots of live acts even back then here .I dont think Elvis ever *really * sang until the 70's in Vegas when he was live outside of Nashville or wherever in the beggining even the Beatles lip synced a lot then .

Quote:
also autotune is been use a lot this days, but beside all this awful things that I see a lot , not 100% of the time but a large percent ,I still choose Digital.
Right .....Autotune and Quantizing in general removes or reduces the naturally occouring loudness amplitude,tempo,timing and rythem variatins and probably some beat frequencies that would otherwise occour in a good mix on any part of a sample,mix or any mix altogether (and can give it a 'sterile sound' ) if taken to far with the "digital " minders even on digital music .

We very seldom if ever quantisize or auto tune here anymore outside of some drums @ 50% or so now and then on our stuff because of that

Our work in progress drum kit catalogue and general catalog will have more layering and less quantisizing /auto tune than the earleir stuff it's much more work but it just sounds better....... and it wont be cheap

Last edited by tubetwister; 08-04-2015 at 01:39 PM.
post #43 of 193 Old 08-04-2015, 01:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Im not using the vacum on the PD555 i prefer gently clamping the LP, on a thick solid rubber mat. As i posted earlier in this thread, im into both analog and digital, and think they both have qualities if done right.
One of the greatest features about a LP setup is that you have to get up every 30 min or so to change LP or side. From the look of things these days, more people should do that.
<<<<< Mind is called a fit bit! Hey even on a CD player you still have to get up and change it, unless your using a 5 disc changer. Setup looks great, lets not forget even record players have come a very long way since my Pioneer PF-88F which had a opening drawer with linear laser tracking..
post #44 of 193 Old 08-04-2015, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post
<<<<< Mind is called a fit bit! Hey even on a CD player you still have to get up and change it, unless your using a 5 disc changer. Setup looks great, lets not forget even record players have come a very long way since my Pioneer PF-88F which had a opening drawer with linear laser tracking..
I think that digital media in general is a improvement for the normal consumer, there is so many terrible TT and LPs out there that its hard not to get a terrible experience.

Its hard for me to put words to the sound of a good LP, best way for me to describe it is that its organic and alive, i guess it might have something to do with high frequency timing that cant be done on a digital system. And digital can do low frequency that cant be done on a LP setup.

If looking back on all the time and money spent to find and do a vinyl setup i like, and asking if i would do it again the answer is yes, if you had asked me ½ way in the process i would have said no. One very important part of the way is to find out how to spot a good LP in the recycle store. after listening to more than 2000 DG recordings and quite a few EMI i can with 99,9% security say they never made a recording worth playing, where Philips from 1970- 1985 might be worth a shot and so on.

Last edited by Stridsvognen; 08-04-2015 at 01:55 PM.
post #45 of 193 Old 08-04-2015, 01:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2676 Post(s)
Liked: 2452
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post
On TV in the 1950's and up they been lip syncing in the USA anyway they did it on the Ed Sullivan show andAmerican bandsrand for exaple and lots of linve acts even bach then here .
Do a comparison since the times of vinyl and cassette till the time of CD's and you will tell that lip sync,autotunes and fake live performances are vastly more than in the vinyl and cassette era.

I can't enjoy much any music awards .many people can't tell when a band is not playing and the vocalist is not singing.But I can tell very quick.

very few people in any award play live, the worst are concerts that supposedly are live but in reality not.

Yes there are still great musicians and vocalist that are the real deal ,vocalists that play live no matter if they get a cold.

what vocalist also do is ask the recording studio to make the same tracks with their voice track set at a lower volume so they can sing in top of the voice track, still cheating.

never seen a band playing live and the vocalist still doing lip sync ,I do!! or singing live and at the high note is just a track ! With today tech everything is very easy.

Don't get me wrong In one more year I will be 40.so I'm not against Digital ,well when it comes to guitar amps I prefer a tube amp over solid state amps.

Last edited by losservatore; 08-04-2015 at 09:38 PM.
post #46 of 193 Old 08-04-2015, 01:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post
What recordings do you listen to to experience the less compressed mix on vinyl vs cd? Can you point me to some backup on that? The compression in vinyl recording doesn't count?
Sure it does, but for vinyl it is done because it's necessary because of the format's limitation, for digital it's pure nonsense.
For examples check out this list:

http://dr.loudness-war.info/

The Hun
post #47 of 193 Old 08-04-2015, 02:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore View Post

Yes there are still great musicians and vocalist that are the real deal ,vocalists that play live no matter if they get a cold.

Or breaks their leg and still comes back out to finish the show.

post #48 of 193 Old 08-04-2015, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Sure it does, but for vinyl it is done because it's necessary because of the format's limitation, for digital it's pure nonsense.
For examples check out this list:

http://dr.loudness-war.info/

Yes, I know about the list, I haven't found dual examples the last few I looked up. Since it is brought up so frequently, I'm just curious for some examples of the music you listen to where specifically the vinyl is superior. A few examples would be nice....just wondering what artists this mostly affects as I generally don't encounter it the few times I've checked against the list, often both aren't even there for what I've looked up.
post #49 of 193 Old 08-04-2015, 02:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes, I know about the list, I haven't found dual examples the last few I looked up. Since it is brought up so frequently, I'm just curious for some examples of the music you listen to where specifically the vinyl is superior. A few examples would be nice....just wondering what artists this mostly affects as I generally don't encounter it the few times I've checked against the list, often both aren't even there for what I've looked up.
It's not a complete list and I don't know what artist you listening to. But the examples are there from Diana Krall, to Symphony X. Red Hot Chili Peppers's Californication is one such example, but I don't know if that's an artist you care for?

CD:
http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/83434

LP:

http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/29226
Both sources are from Germany.

The Hun
post #50 of 193 Old 08-04-2015, 02:40 PM

Quote:

FWIW I can set up a tuntable as well as anyone even overhaul some of them . I grew up on contact media and good vynil playback chains and I have heard some of the better or best ones .

Vinyl even on a refernce vinyl playback chain or any contact media cant approach the accuracy or equivalent bit depth resoution of 16/44 +_ digital you are just flattering yourself or repeating bad marketing science audiopohillia if you think otherwise and not fooling those of us that know better including yours trully

Thats not to say a decent vinyl mix cant sound excellent or better than a poor CD mix on a given album or track it happens.... or that one can not prefer the vagarites of analog contact media.... some folks prefer mp3 .

OTOH those are biased prefernces NOT validation that vinil is better for achiving so far as sound quality goes or even that vinyl is faithful to the origional master tape because it is not e.g. RIAA EQ and surface and playback noise and other vagarities not present on the tape .

Vinyl has gone through subtractive or additive emphasis and de emphasis to allow for groove spacing i.e. RIAA EQ and is altered from the source recording similar to loudness uniform CD mixing but in the oppisite way i.e. altered is altered no matter if it's played back on a $100,000 or $500.00 configuration.

^^^^ Those can all have varing vagarities in the playback chain not limited to restoring RIAA EQ competently at playback including turntable/cartige vagarites outside of vynil pressing vagarites all that are not present in digital playback or losslesss file replication beyond an incompetently desighned file encoder up front or DAC on a given playback chain

OTOH *properly digitized contact media is completeley faithfull to the analog sorcuce media below the lower nyqist rate you cant hear anyway at 16/44 .

As far as durability they have 99+ yr rated OD/CD data blanks you can get now and 30 yr OLD CD's are coomon and they still have working
IBM 350 RAMAC refrigerator size disk storage drives from 1956 tucked away in some museums and probably still running in Cuba and DPRK .

FWIW you can toss refernce vinyl truntable or CDP and likley get better sound quality from 16/44 Tidal Hi Fi on a good mix that was never
altered by RIAA or uniform loudness CD/mp3 mixing.

OTOH if you dont understand Studio > replication >archiving > workflow >sales channels and how Tidal gets most of it's stuff :

^^^ all that (and digital music /codec and foramats and obviously digital discrete time signal sampling and signal reconstruction within a limited bandwith below the lower nyqist rate in genral..... you may be under the illusiion (ouside of a biased prefernce or lack of knowlege ) that analog contact media is better than good 16/44 including refernce vinyl or analog tape that cant touch *good well mixed 16/44 or Hi -res *

FWIW I havs an 800wpc THX® pm3™ approved refernce digital playback chain including the large JBL midfiedls in a (working ) treated real studio here that can bring a snob audiophile ,digital or vinyl virtually to tears on a good mix in there . IOW .....I've head plenty of refernce sound better than vinyl

Last edited by tubetwister; 08-05-2015 at 11:38 AM.
post #51 of 193 Old 08-04-2015, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post
FWIW I can set up a tuntable as well as anyoneeven overhaul some of them . I grew up on contact media and good vynil playback chains and I have heard some of the better or best ones .

Vinil even on a refernce vinyl playback chain or any contact media cant approach the accuracy or equivelant bit depth resoution of 16/44 digital you are just flattering yourself or repeating bad marketing science audiopohillia if you think otherwise and not fooling those of us that know better including yours trully

Thats not to say a decent vinyl mix cant sound better than a poor CD mix on a given album or track it happens.... or that one can not prefer the vagarites of analog contact media.... some folks prefer mp3 .

OTOH those are biased prefernces NOT validation that vinil is better for achiving so far as sound quality goes or even that vinyl is faithful to the origiional master tape because it is not e.g. RIAA EQ and surface and playback noise and other vagarities not present on the tape .

First of all vinlyl has gone through subtractive and additive emphasis and de emphasis to allow for groove spacing i.e. RIAA EQ and is altered from the souce recording similar to loudness uniform CD mixing but in the oppisite way i.e. altered is altered no matter if it's played back on a $100,000 or $ 500.00 configuration.

^^^^ Those can all have varing vagarities in the playback chain not limited to restoring RIAA EQ competently at playback not including turntable/cartige vagarites outside of vynil pressing vagarites all that are not present in digital playback or losslesss file replication beyond an incompetently desighned DAC on a given playback chain

FWIW you can toss your refernce vinyl truntable or CDP and likley get better sound quality from Tidal Hi Fi on a good mix that was never
altered by RIAA or uniform loudness CD/mp3 mixing.

OTOH if you dont understand Studio > replication >archiving > workflow >sales channels and how Tidal gets most of it's stuff :

What it is ,if you wont know ^^^ all that (and digital music /codec and foramats and digital discrete time signal sampling and signal reconstruction within a limited bandwith below the lower nyqist rate in genral..... you may be under the illusiion (ouside of a biased prefernce or lack of knowlege ) that analog contact media is better than good 16/44 including refernce vinyl or analog tape that cant touch *good well mixed 16/44 or Hi -res *

FWIW I havs an 800wpc THX® pm3™ approved refernce digital playback chain in a (working ) treated real studio here that can bring a snob audiophile ,digital or vynil to tears on a good mix . IOW .....don't tell me about refernce anything
Whats the best MC pickup and MC stepup you have had. And what do you consider the best LP you have played.?
post #52 of 193 Old 08-04-2015, 02:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Well I enjoy both. My favorite cd are xrcd or many remastered from Japan.

I equally enjoy my old disco, reggae, and r&b vinyl using a good old Micro-Acoustics 2002 cartridge all the out to my Magnepan 1.6Q speakers.
post #53 of 193 Old 08-04-2015, 02:54 PM

Quote:
It's not a complete list and I don't know what artist you listening to. But the examples are there from Diana Krall, to Symphony X. Red Hot Chili Peppers's Californication is one such example, but I don't know if that's an artist you care for?

CD:

LP:

Thanks. My tastes are eclectic.....rock, folk, jazz, classical, bluegrass (and probably in that order). I may have both vinyl/cd for Californication, will have to dig and compare, altho haven't listened to much RHCP in a long time, maybe it was the recording quality that didn't bring me back (more for parties than my personal taste). Doubt I have German copies of them though. Diana Krall is nice I suppose but never ignited any urge to own. Haven't heard of Symphony X....

Is there a way to sort that database that I'm not seeing so as to pull up some specific examples so I might see if I have both for comparison?
post #54 of 193 Old 08-04-2015, 02:57 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Oh No, I clicked the wrong button!.
I wanted to vote digital and hit analog......Is my vote stored digitally or analog?

RustyBones
post #55 of 193 Old 08-04-2015, 03:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks. My tastes are eclectic.....rock, folk, jazz, classical, bluegrass (and probably in that order). I may have both vinyl/cd for Californication, will have to dig and compare, altho haven't listened to much RHCP in a long time, maybe it was the recording quality that didn't bring me back (more for parties than my personal taste). Doubt I have German copies of them though. Diana Krall is nice I suppose but never ignited any urge to own. Haven't heard of Symphony X....

Is there a way to sort that database that I'm not seeing so as to pull up some specific examples so I might see if I have both for comparison?
I just threw out those names for showing that not one genre or artist are particularly safe from bad mastering practices. Symphony X is a progressive metal band.
As for the list, you can only enter artists and titles and make comparisons based on the already uploaded examples.If you only enter the artist names you will get all the albums and versions that are already uploaded. You can also upload files yourself for analysis though I've never done that myself.
lovinthehd likes this.

The Hun
post #56 of 193 Old 08-04-2015, 03:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked: 298
This lead graphic is misleading....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post

...a lot depends on how the original recording was captured and manipulated before it reached your hands. But in general, which do you tend to prefer?
What is that vinyl disc doing there?

Does it purportedly represent analog recording? If so, it is a false choice, seeing as 99.9% of all vinyl disks are merely flawed copies of the original analog recording, which was made on magnetic tape. There should be a reel of tape there next to the CD, not a vinyl platter.

For classical and acoustic music, digital recording has an edge with its vanishing background noise levels. For everything else, there is not that much difference.

I have downloaded digital copies of some of my favorite old vinyl discs -- digital copies, mind you, that were copied from the original master tape. Copied and stored, I submit, more faithfully than that Rube Goldberg diamond-plowing-through-plastic technology that makes so many warm and fuzzy.

As far as I can discern, the main attraction for a legacy vinyl rendition is rather simple: picture frame-size cover art. Give me the digital copy (even an AAC) of the original master tape from the vault, if they can find it, any time -- even if Mother Earth's 1-gauss magnetic field has worked its way through the years and faded that glory a bit.

Last edited by PrimeTime; 08-04-2015 at 03:20 PM.
post #57 of 193 Old 08-04-2015, 03:24 PM

Quote:

CD:

LP:

It can certainly happen on a given mix that vinyl or Hi -Res can be superior to a uniform loudness 16/44 CD mix it hapens more often than these days even outside of the old CD loudness wars .

OTOH sometimes a good mix (even better than vinyl on the same mix ) can be on *legitimate * Hi Res sourced from analog or digital masters or copys and not othewise availiable in 16/44 media .

Thirdly ^^^^^ that is likley what you will hear at Tidal Hi Fi on the 16/44 channel and NOT a CD/mp3 mix or a needledrop ouside of 78's pre dating tape .

OTOH a 24/96 needledrop. is totaly unessessary because vinyl or tape cant even make 16 bits in a million years on its own and below the 16/44 lower nyqist rate the 16/44 digital copy can capture all of the analog contact media audio faithfully without digital artifacts .

OTOH 24/96 sells premium downlads better than 16/44 and that is the current business plan of the labels now which includes higher than 24/96 now and differentiates the 16/44 /mp3 product from the same source in *more expensive * hires or that isn't avaliable in 16/44 .

I'm willing to entertain the proposition that the W.B. 24/96 Red Hot Chili Peppers needle drop is a WAV file or ALAC and if it were in FLAC 16/44 depending on the compressible audio data it may well end at ~ 650kbps ( + sound the same ) and not anywhere near 2661 kbps because vinyl cant make anything close to 1411kbps bit rate on its own in 16 bit FLAC or WAV and further they probably fattened or dithered it up to get to 24 bit 2661kbps because that sells better than 16 bits at 650kbps FLAC that would sound the same from a needle drop anyway

******* and if they didn't fatten/ dither it up it just filled in with useless zero data bit word lenths anyway which is what uncompressed codec oversampling does

Last edited by tubetwister; 08-04-2015 at 04:04 PM.
post #58 of 193 Old 08-04-2015, 03:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ill love to see someone explain the sound signature of anti skating, VTA, azimuth, damping, load impedance, and so on. I have only met a few with those skills.
Really, you don't know many people with imaginations?
They are seem to be everywhere I look.
Quote:

Im still looking for a CD player to replace my old Denon DCD3560 with Audio Alchemy DTI/XDP dac. No luck so far no matter the price, its kind of annoying not to be able to buy a player i like, where the parts are not obsolete.
I feel your pain.
Quote:

Whats the best MC pickup you ever had.?
The last time I owned an LP setup I was a teenager, however I contemplated to get one just recently so I did some research including your prized skills to set one up. However the price, and the fact that my current rig is really a digital oriented setup aimed at MCH music and movies made this project a non starter.I concluded that I really would need a separate all analog stereo only rig, which I don't have the funds nor the space for it right now. I might however revisit that project in the future, and I may ping you for advice.

The Hun
post #59 of 193 Old 08-04-2015, 04:17 PM

Quote:
I just threw out those names for showing that not one genre or artist are particularly safe from bad mastering practices. Symphony X is a progressive metal band.
As for the list, you can only enter artists and titles and make comparisons based on the already uploaded examples.If you only enter the artist names you will get all the albums and versions that are already uploaded. You can also upload files yourself for analysis though I've never done that myself.
Probably one medium isn't safe from bad mastering....the person doing the mastering is. Are there particular mastering "artists" or particular labels whose mastering is consistently good to follow?
post #60 of 193 Old 08-04-2015, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Probably one medium isn't safe from bad mastering....the person doing the mastering is. Are there particular mastering "artists" or particular labels whose mastering is consistently good to follow?
Its a case by case thing often the business school A & R people or mangement at the labels (outside of the mastering engineer or talent ) dictate that now due to uniform loudness/markeing concerns including providing the Hi- res sales channel a better mix or the only (good) mix of a given recording . AIX records is pretty straight forward so is Chesky records ..............HD tracks and some of the big labels no so much .

Last edited by tubetwister; 08-04-2015 at 05:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Community News & Polls

Tags
frontpage , Polls

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page