Do You Prefer Digital or Analog Recordings? - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
View Poll Results: Do You Prefer Digital or Analog Recordings?
Digital 286 74.67%
Analog 97 25.33%
Voters: 383. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 72Likes

post #61 of 193 Old 08-04-2015, 04:55 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3557
Tube (twister), you still have an analog TT rig somewhere @ home...in the basement near the washing/drying machines or in the attic under the spider webs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 193 Old 08-04-2015, 05:29 PM

Location: The Outer Limits....Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
Tube (twister), you still have an analog TT rig somewhere @ home...in the basement near the washing/drying machines or in the attic under the spider webs?
Vintage Pioneer PL 510 with a Sure V15 type III and and orig (now vintage ) Sure replacement stylus & ADC something or another cartrige also . It's in the storage/workshop / extra 2 (unused) rooms building out back with my vintage Pioneer Siver SX 980 ,SX 1050 and some speakers all boxed and clean like the monster SX recievers and some speakers .

The favorite vinyl is on 16/44 needle drops or from DAT needle drops on spinning metal and doesent sound any different from the real deal spinning on that T.T. OTOH a lot of that is on Tiidal Hi Fi now and sounds better than the vinyl mixes

Last edited by tubetwister; 08-04-2015 at 05:32 PM.
post #63 of 193 Old 08-04-2015, 06:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked: 259
I prefer Digital for its commodity. There are some very good, high resolution digital recordings. There are also some very good analog recordings, but I cannot play them in my car...
tubetwister likes this.

post #64 of 193 Old 08-04-2015, 06:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked: 1089
I voted digital.

Analog does have a certain warm to it.
I read many years ago, it is because it distort in the even order and digital distort on the odd order, and the human brain is wired to like even distortion better.

The reason I prefer digital is because I do not have the Hiss from a vinyl, that's all

Ray
post #65 of 193 Old 08-04-2015, 07:50 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Shure

Sydney Shure 1925.
Their still around!!

Shure Incorporated
Niles Illinois
post #66 of 193 Old 08-04-2015, 08:10 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Since pretty much all recordings of the last 40 years were recorded digitally and many mastered digitally the idea that converting to analog onto vinyl somehow created detail not present in the original recording is -- ludicrous!

Now, I do wish digital was higher sampling rate and higher bit depth but all things considered I'll take digital all day every day and if I want to warm it up I can do that with various processing effects.

Although there's some digital audio at 192ksps I see no need to go beyond 96ksps and in order for that to be useful the D to A needs to be of good quality and the rest of the audio playback system should be capable of about 35kHz.

We don't actually have many off the shelf audio system, particularly portable systems, that can handle 96ksps, but that because the vast majority of audio consumers these days listen to highly compressed low bit rate audio and seem to like it. There's not much market for true high quality audio -- sadly.

But, in addition to higher sampling rate I'd also like to see 24bit over 16bit.

Brian
post #67 of 193 Old 08-04-2015, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post
Vintage Pioneer PL 510 with a Sure V15 type III and and orig (now vintage ) Sure replacement stylus & ADC something or another cartrige also . It's in the storage/workshop / extra 2 (unused) rooms building out back with my vintage Pioneer Siver SX 980 ,SX 1050 and some speakers all boxed and clean like the monster SX recievers and some speakers .

The favorite vinyl is on 16/44 needle drops or from DAT needle drops on spinning metal and doesent sound any different from the real deal spinning on that T.T. OTOH a lot of that is on Tiidal Hi Fi now and sounds better than the vinyl mixes
I also have a Pioneer TT, ...PL-514 and a Sony Linear ...5000 some like that, and a fully auto Akai one. ...Old vintage PL receiver, Pioneer VSX-9300s.
In my will it's all gone to the kids of the kids of my kids and to that sort of other small animal species...if they ever want to explore the age of the dinosaurs. ...The analog age.

The history of analog and digital music recordings is our history...we lived through it and now it's the age of the aquarius...the streaming, upsampling, downloading, downsampling, high sampling, hi-res ... digital music recordings.

The hardcore generations from after the second World War, and and even from that era...many are still into analog turntables and old LPs that were recorded using analog recording gear. ...Even some 78s, with Charleston and Classical music. ...Victrola record players?

Anyway, analog music recordings, for me, represent a labor of human love. ...And digital music recordings are more technically challenging in some sort of way? ...Less humane?
I believe that the more we are exposed to analog the less our brain have to quantify, rectify, quantum brain jumping around, less mathematical extrapolation from jittering azimuth and less overall life's complications. ...Brief analog is healthier for the brain over digital and streaming.
Take two people of the same age, one is 50 and the other one is also 50, but one had an analog life all his life, and the other a digital one during his lifetime. ...And observe very carefully the interaction between these two gentlemen, over a period of say couple months...and you'll see the main traits that will resort. The analog person will be less stressed overall, more @ peace with himself, and the digital person more worried, unsecured.
Just do the test...you will see. ...Take your time to pick two guys born the same month, from the same zodiac sign; one analog and the other digital...all their life...around 50-years old. If they are too old it's harder, if they are too young it's even harder...aim for a balance...just right in the middle.

Then two or three months later just report your findings here.

Last edited by NorthSky; 08-04-2015 at 08:36 PM.
post #68 of 193 Old 08-04-2015, 09:10 PM

Quote:
NorthSky

I also have a Pioneer TT, ...PL-514 and a Sony Linear ...5000 some like that, and a fully auto Akai one. ...Old vintage PL receiver, Pioneer VSX-9300s.
In my will it's all gone to the kids of the kids of my kids and to that sort of other small animal species...if they ever want to explore the age of the dinosaurs. ...The analog age.

I believe that the more we are exposed to analog the less our brain have to quantify, rectify, quantum brain jumping around, less mathematical extrapolation from jittering azimuth and less overall life's complications. ...Brief analog is healthier for the brain over digital and streaming.
Take two people of the same age, one is 50 and the other one is also 50, but one had an analog life all his life, and the other a digital one during his lifetime. ...And observe very carefully the interaction between these two gentlemen, over a period of say couple months...and you'll see the main traits that will resort. The analog person will be less stressed overall, more @ peace with himself, and the digital person more worried, unsecured.
Just do the test...you will see. ...Take your time to pick two guys born the same month, from the same zodiac sign; one analog and the other digital...all their life...around 50-years old. If they are too old it's harder, if they are too young it's even harder...aim for a balance...just right in the middle.

Then two or three months later just report your findings here.
Nothing wrong with good analog contact media sound wise on something halfway decent to play it on . (you have that covered ) I like digitized needle drops (mostly big band swing from the 1940's that pre dates tapes and othrwise prefer digitized tape masters or good digital recording sourced from 24 bit media from the lables AKA Tidal hifi or legetimate hires that never made the CD /mp3 mix process (but may otherwise be on CD's also ) or the occasional good CD mixall on spinning metal or the Tidal Hi Fi stream .

At some point long ago the vinyl ritual /maintenance and TT upkeep became a chore and more of a headache than not compared to good digital CD mixes or DAT and at some point those became a chore along with DVD's and now all of that is a mouse click away and local files play instantly and once logged into tidal hi fi *that* also is still miles more convienent than vinyl, RtR tape CD.SACD ,DAT or tuning in an analog FM tuner . .........progress perhaps ........... spoiled maybe...... actually less stress than analog contact media amd I have it all backed up also
OTOH I 'm not about mp3 ouside of personal use outdoors or something like that on a small speaker configuration or table top PDP .

Last edited by tubetwister; 08-05-2015 at 11:31 AM.
post #69 of 193 Old 08-04-2015, 09:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2676 Post(s)
Liked: 2453
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeTime View Post
What is that vinyl disc doing there?

Does it purportedly represent analog recording? If so, it is a false choice, seeing as 99.9% of all vinyl disks are merely flawed copies of the original analog recording, which was made on magnetic tape. There should be a reel of tape there next to the CD, not a vinyl platter.

Scott is not talking about masters. every music for distribution ends in a CD ,vinyl ,Cassette... ect..

if we talk about masters then the picture should look something like this.

tubetwister likes this.

Last edited by losservatore; 08-04-2015 at 10:25 PM.
post #70 of 193 Old 08-04-2015, 10:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1358 Post(s)
Liked: 611

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post
Probably one medium isn't safe from bad mastering....the person doing the mastering is. Are there particular mastering "artists" or particular labels whose mastering is consistently good to follow?
The late 90's things took a turn for the worse when it came to mastering good music. Most of the studios for a long time said lets make it sound some what good on crappy equipment, but why bother using good mixing equipment when for a long time studios where mixing music to go on the masses crappy playback devices, (iPod/Wireless speakers etc.) Go figure. Heck the famous inexpensive Yamaha studio monitor NS10's was used, which to me sounds like s h i t. The problem is the industry went for convenience verses quality and the rest is downhill, now it's nice to see some streaming services provide better sound along with HD tracks, might not be ideal but at least they are making an effort to provide quality, hopefully consistently!
post #71 of 193 Old 08-05-2015, 12:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 788 Post(s)
Liked: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post
Probably one medium isn't safe from bad mastering....the person doing the mastering is. Are there particular mastering "artists" or particular labels whose mastering is consistently good to follow?
Mastering engineers are hired by the labels, or producers, so they follow what they are told, but to answer your question smaller labels, like Audio Fidelity, MoFi, Kscope,Rhino are good bets, even Sony Legacy series or the old CBS Jazz masters series were awesome, however the large labels are often the worst offenders, but there are some gems among them, I agree with the above that it is a case by case problem, which makes it hard for the consumer to predict things.
tubetwister likes this.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

Ex diversis cogitationibus ex cute color.

The Hun
post #72 of 193 Old 08-05-2015, 01:53 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I have really good hearing in audiology test, but as I've realised I'm a very untrained listener who couldn't tell you the difference between a high rez track and an Apple 256k AAC unless I was doing some type of properly setup A B test. As a result I go for the highest quality music that's convenient. I find Apple's 256k AAC iTunes downloads very convenient so I just go with them. If I could reliably tell the difference between compressed digital, CD, High Rez and vinyl I feel my answer would be different.
PrimeTime likes this.

Samsung UA55HU9000, Samsung HW-J7500, Xbox One, PS4, Wii U. Plus a bunch of old consoles.
XBL: DELTAprime, PSN: DELTAsnake, Wii U: DELTAprime
post #73 of 193 Old 08-05-2015, 05:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore View Post
Scott is not talking about masters. every music for distribution ends in a CD ,vinyl ,Cassette... ect..

if we talk about masters then the picture should look something like this.

There are a few direct to vinyl recordings out there But it takes an amazing engineer to pull that off. Mostly classical music.

-SiGGy

Last edited by SiGGy; 08-05-2015 at 06:09 AM.
post #74 of 193 Old 08-05-2015, 06:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1358 Post(s)
Liked: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by DELTAsnake View Post
I have really good hearing in audiology test, but as I've realised I'm a very untrained listener who couldn't tell you the difference between a high rez track and an Apple 256k AAC unless I was doing some type of properly setup A B test. As a result I go for the highest quality music that's convenient. I find Apple's 256k AAC iTunes downloads very convenient so I just go with them. If I could reliably tell the difference between compressed digital, CD, High Rez and vinyl I feel my answer would be different.
Well funny you mention 256k AAC files as in iTunes you can burn all of your music to 128 or 256 in order to put more music onto your devices, especially if you have them in AIFF format. I for one can tell the difference, never thought I could but while I even play them back in my car or home stereo I can automatically tell as the distortion seems much higher on the 256 files verses the AIFF ones. I been tested and have very good hearing as well, but that soon will change once you hit fifty and other variables but I always shoot for quality first regardless. I just think people are getting short changed in some way or another because they buy their music on iTunes and are getting less quality for usually the same price or more than the CD in some cases. I would take a good vinyl record or well recorded DSD/SACD or CD for that matter over any iTunes download, unless they allow a HD download service soon, but I am sure that won't happen anytime soon since they just jumped on the streaming (Renting) bandwagon.

Last edited by Garman; 08-05-2015 at 06:36 AM.
post #75 of 193 Old 08-05-2015, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 161
IMO the primary appeal of vinyl is psychological. It's beautiful in a way the digital formats just aren't, so this effects how one perceives it. Similarly, one is probably going to enjoy a $100 bottle of wine much more than a $10 bottle (even if they are the exact same wine).

To me the best thing about the so called "vinyl resurgence" is that due to the limitations of vinyl people are spending more time sitting and seriously listening to music (rather than on the go or as background music). Of course music sounds best when listened to like this.

For myself, I prefer the clarity of digital. I know some people actual enjoy the increased noise/distortion of vinyl, but to me I'd rather hear the distortion added by the artists/engineers rather than the format. I also enjoy the fact that one can play a CD or file for the rest of one's life and it's going to sound the same (whereas vinyl has a comparatively short lifespan).

For me, CDs are still where it's at. Used CD are generally cheaper than downloading legally. I also like having something physical, and since I have several thousand CDs, it's just too overwhelming thinking about putting them on a hard drive. Maybe someday though, since they are taking up a lot real estate in our small house.
post #76 of 193 Old 08-05-2015, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stridsvognen View Post
Whats the best MC pickup and MC stepup you have had. And what do you consider the best LP you have played.?
Only had MM pickups and that is a straw mans agument anyway there are peleny of decent new and vintage MM pick ups around like a sure V15 III/ IV and Stanton 888e 's and on the new side Clear audio and Ortofon come to mind with some ohters . MC pick ups are often audiophile nonsesne and just reqire higher gain staging in the pre amp which can bring it's own issues along the way .

I've heard somne good MC pick ups but they still cant touch good 24 bit digital from analog tape or digital recordings that was never phono E.Q .( RIAA) equalized or CD mp/3 unifirm loudness mixed

FWIW the only supportable argunment (specificaly lossless digital vs vynil ) in favor of vinyl does not go beyond a legitamite biased preference for vinyl .

FWIW my favorite pick ups were a Sure V15 III with a Sure OEM (now almost unobtanium vintage ) replacement stylus and a Stantonn 888e .
I still have the Sure along with an ADC and Stanton 500e and antique Pickering V-15 none of which are currently in use here .

One of the best vinyl mixes of all time recognized in the industry is Fleetwood MAC's Rumors album. I have that on vinyl,CD , mp3 and 24 bit lossless file copies sourced from tha labels that never made a Vynil or CD mix........ guess which one sounds the best and it aint dragging a diamond stone through miles of vinyl grooves if that helps : p

Last edited by tubetwister; 08-05-2015 at 12:07 PM.
post #77 of 193 Old 08-05-2015, 12:36 PM

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Only had MM pickups and that is a straw mans agument anyway there are peleny of decent new and vintage MM pick ups around like a sure V15 III/ IV and Stanton 888e 's and on the new side Clear audio and Ortofon come to mind with some ohters . MC pick ups are often audiophile nonsesne and just reqire higher gain staging in the pre amp which can bring it's own issues along the way .

I've heard somne good MC pick ups but they still cant touch good 24 bit digital from analog tape or digital recordings that was never phono E.Q .( RIAA) equalized or CD mp/3 unifirm loudness mixed

FWIW the only supportable argunment (specificaly lossless digital vs vynil ) in favor of vinyl does not go beyond a legitamite biased preference for vinyl .

FWIW my favorite pick ups were a Sure V15 III with a Sure OEM (now almost unobtanium vintage ) replacement stylus and a Stantonn 888e .
I still have the Sure along with an ADC and Stanton 500e and antique Pickering V-15 none of which are currently in use here .

One of the best vinyl mixes of all time recognized in the industry is Fleetwood MAC's Rumors album. I have that on vinyl,CD , mp3 and 24 bit lossless file copies sourced from tha labels that never made a Vynil or CD mix........ guess which one sounds the best and it aint dragging a diamond stone through miles of vinyl grooves if that helps : p
I think your right, and im sure i would come to the same conclusion if i had the exact same experience as you have.
post #78 of 193 Old 08-05-2015, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stridsvognen View Post
I think your right, and im sure i would come to the same conclusion if i had the exact same experience as you have.

FWIW unmolested 24 bit digital and good 16/44 sounds real good on the THX pm3 Certified digital playback chain w/ THX pm3 certfied JBL large midfield monitors and refernce subs here ..........probably good enough to make a snob audiophile cry when U crank up that 800wpc amp in there up a little

OTOH no reason that (if anthing was origionally taped ) it cant sound just as good at 16 bits as 24 bits that is because 16/44 can cover anything that was laid down on analog tape below the 16/44 lower nyquist rate (22,500khz ) with plenty of room left over . i.e. analog tape contact media can maybe be eqivalent to 11 bits (12 bits if you push up the distortion to 3% ) ,vinyl on its best day maybe 6 - 8 bits .

Say .....you think an MC pick up dragging a diamond stone through miles of vinyl grooves on a modern rube golberg high priced vinyl spinner can get THX pm3 certfied or no ? ......................funny thing is none of that stuff is on the THX pm3 approved equipment list there

Last edited by tubetwister; 08-05-2015 at 01:34 PM.
post #79 of 193 Old 08-05-2015, 12:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked: 1571
Quote:
FWIW the only supportable argument on lossless Digital vs vinyl as a format in favor of vinyl is a legitamate or othewise biased prefeance for vinyl and not MC pick ups .............. a straw mans argumebt btw.

There are plenty of good MM pick ups around and from vintage also . On the new side without getting overpriced foolish Ortofon and Clear Audio come to mind and some others .

Some of the the MM pick ups I owned were The Sure V15 III and Stanton 888e and some other ones . I still have The Sure and an ADC but I dont use vinyl anymore it's quaint and all but not neccessary when it can be digitized faithfully at 16 bits and above lossless AND better sources are availiable now .

MC pick up superiority is audiophile nonsense at the technical merit level anyway considering the limitations of vinyl .

As for a good refernce vinyl mix long recognized in the industry by the industry and (not the garbage geyeser audiphillia nonsense rag zine reviewers ) as being as about as good as it gets is the Fleetwood Mac Rumors album .

I have it on origional vinyl and CD and mp3 and a DAT needle drop and a 24 bit download sourced from the labels that never made an CD,mp3 or vynil mix ............ guess which one sounds best .....(hint) it aint the one quaintly dragging a diamond stone through miles of RIAA equalized vinyl grooves
Yep I use these (Nightclub and Dj) right now.
post #80 of 193 Old 08-05-2015, 01:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 50
While I have no objection to cd sound especially properly mastered recordings like those on xrcd, it's amusing to read the digital/cd cheerleaders explain why their choice should be best as they also take shots at vinyl.
Ultimately what is most important is what our ears find pleasing. And that is why so many still like vinyl, and some of those prefer it to cd or other digitl formats.
Stridsvognen likes this.
post #81 of 193 Old 08-05-2015, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiGGy View Post
Such a broad poll...

You didn't specify the medium like: CD; SACD, DVD-A, MP3, Streaming, Uncompressed... So with that...

Digital; it's far superior when comparing the best digital has to offer
Uncompressed 192khz (sampling rate) at 24 bits will capture stuff analog can't. Period.
I dont think anyone in the know would argue that good *lossless * digital is superior on its tecnical merits to the best analog contact media even at 16/44 outside of uniform loudness CD /mp3 mixing.

Predictably the poll question of whether one specifically prefers analog or digital (presumably lossless) has evolved into an anlog vs digital debate outisde of the OP topic which was simply a preference for one or the other without an argument either way other than stating some known facts.

OTOH a sample rate bit depth argument beyond 16/44 would presumably be another discussion anyway that's the old tired Hi-res vs 16/44 argument that has a lot of closed threads here already .

FWIW 16/44 losssless streaming and mp3 streaming at a given sample /bit rate is the same to each one respectivley at the same bit depth/sample rate ( *from the same mix* ) locally stored in a file or on an ODD .

FWIW setting mpeg compression aside PCM or DSD data doesent care if its streaming (which gets buffered anyway ) or on a hdd,SSD or in volatile memory it sounds the same at a given bit depth / sample rate .

Setting aside 24 bit recording /mixing & editing if 16/44 is a problem getting in the way of making great sounding (playback media specifically ) it's probably a poor mix or rendering to 16 bits or you got other problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiGGy
However; there is a lot more to this story than just simple analog vs digital. Reality is digital plugins/gear can't really replicate the sound of a SSL or Neve boards preamps or a transformer balanced ceramic cartridge from a record player for that matter. So a lot of todays albums are ran through analog gear just to color it up a bit... Transformers add in some harmonics that add to the sound
Be that as it may (maybe as it stands today or not at the current state of the art ) and I know they do that like you say (maybe) that moves into the subjective biased preference realm a bit or not as opposed to what is *possible*in state of the art digital ?

FWIW I'm not trying to support that argument either way and analog stuff has its own individual vagarities in general even on the same model gear or within a model series revision and it can drift also and all that can be totaly lost with digital quantization .

Some of the better commercial 64 bit VST plugins are pretty good now (we just got some more new updated classic and vintage outboard emulators in and the updates of the same emulators are better ) the free stuff we dont use not so much and they never were all that anyway.

AFAIK nobody producing anything decent is sampling vinyl anymore outside of retro tripping and RIAA vinyl cant reproduce anything *accuratly* anyway .

OTOH I dont think that was ever the point of LP groove sampling that's just what was affordably availiable or availiable at all then

Last edited by tubetwister; 08-05-2015 at 03:02 PM.
post #82 of 193 Old 08-05-2015, 02:46 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Personally, I'm all about mixing the two. No sacred cows for me. Using a pro audio ADC interface, I employ Purevinyl 4.0 for RIAA correction and have room correction filters built using acourate in-line. I can listen to any source I have tape, FM, vinyl, cds, dvds, hires and 16/44.1 files, etc. all through the same DAC/amplifier and all with room correction. It's all about the music.
post #83 of 193 Old 08-05-2015, 03:19 PM

Quote:

Anyway, analog music recordings, for me, represent a labor of human love. ...And digital music recordings are more technically challenging in some sort of way? ...Less humane?
I forgot to mention carefully crafted quality digital music with a minimum of auto tuning and quantizization and w/o digital progressions, riffs beats ,drum samples etc can be a tedious challenging yet rewarding labor as much as any instrument .

It takes a long time to make an origional good layered digital track with your own layered sounds (with some VST ofc also ) unless you are just stitching together samples ,digital beats and VST's and or a kit or something out of a catalog

In fact our drum kit catalog is in progress *right now this minute * some of that sounds pretty good but it wont be cheap

Last edited by tubetwister; 08-05-2015 at 03:32 PM.
post #84 of 193 Old 08-05-2015, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Niles Crane View Post
Personally, I'm all about mixing the two. No sacred cows for me. Using a pro audio ADC interface, I employ Purevinyl 4.0 for RIAA correction and have room correction filters built using acourate in-line. I can listen to any source I have tape, FM, vinyl, cds, dvds, hires and 16/44.1 files, etc. all through the same DAC/amplifier and all with room correction. It's all about the music.
Thats all good sounds like you got it all well covered !
post #85 of 193 Old 08-05-2015, 03:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked: 724
It has been my experience that the most important factor is the fidelity of the original recording not whether it is analog or digital. Of course, the playback fidelity can be ruined by poor mastering but with a very light touch, excellent results can be had with either analog tape or digital. The result can clearly be heard whether the final product delivered to the listener is vinyl, CD or high res download. Each type has its own sound. Analog tape has its own sound, which some prefer. Same with vinyl, CD and DSD. To my ears, I find that 24/96 or 192 sounds more like the real thing than vinyl or DSD which sounds too rolled off on the top and bottom for my tastes. Your mileage may vary! I have heard 2 track masters transferred to 24/192, vinyl and DSD and preferred the 24/192 as sounding the most transparent to the master. However, the vinyl and DSD sounded quite pleasant, pleasant being the key word for me. I have had some GREAT results ripping CDs to my SSD as well. I find digital overall to be way more convenient vs. vinyl which can be a PITA. However, to sum up, great results can be had with any format providing that the original recording was engineered with great care and skill and with the mastering engineer staying out of the way. The music is WAY more important that the format!

Louder is NOT better!
post #86 of 193 Old 08-05-2015, 03:35 PM

Quote:
I forgot to mention carefully crafted quality digital music with a minimum of auto tuning and quantizization and w/o digital progressions, riffs beats ,drum samples etc can be a tedious challenging yet rewarding labor as much as any instrument .

It takes a long time to make an origional good layered digital track with your own layered sounds (with some VST ofc also ) unless you are just stitching together samples ,digital beats and VST's and or a kit or something out of a catalog

In fact our drum kit catalog is in progress *right now this minute * some of that sounds pretty good but it wont be cheap
Do you use any type of digital EQ to refine your digital music recordings?
post #87 of 193 Old 08-05-2015, 03:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 209
[ ] digital

[ ] analogue

[ X ] depends on how mastering was done/audio transfer engineering and original
tubetwister likes this.
post #88 of 193 Old 08-05-2015, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Do you use any type of digital EQ to refine your digital music recordings?
Not usually outside of a DAW or hosted VST emulator for sound shaping as you normally would for specific sounds ,effects and layering in a DAW and only in edit (usually within a DAW) with VST emulators usually for various reasons like fattening someting up/effects or removing things like ultrasonics or sub bass frequencis that can bring undesireable behaviors to a mix or tuning something in a 24 bit project or just doing a what if reversable change . Oh you can daisy chain VST emulators also and save the chains and settings and the projects you screw with in them either in a DAW you are hosting the VST in or stand alone from a file in an emulator or emulator chain ouside of a DAW lots of possible combinations .

A lot of that undesirable cutting should be done in a DAW anyway before it gets to far .

IOW when its done a project is done it *is* recorded as is in the DAW and *actually* just saved from there but the thing with (preferably ) 24 bit Digital you can always import it into a DAW or stand alone VST if it isnt saved in there and change it and save revised mixes apart from a finished mix or juat make a few mixes all along and save them .

OTOH if you are recording instruments and or vocals or dubbing in Vocals ,either or both you can shape the sound with EQ and effects also or do it later (usualy the smart way IMO ) on the mixed tracks or whatever was recorded individually then mix it and or layer it or try it both ways first then mix it again lots of things you can do . I havent even thought of it's nothing like playing back a finished mix althogh at 24 bits (not upsampled ) you can fool around with mixes pretty good with VST emulators @ 16 bits not so much without pushing up the distortion but U can and mp3 fugett about it .

OTOH we dont usually use a conventional 10 or 15 band EQ ouside of an emulator VST it's individual bands are sometimes way to broad of a brush early in the process ouside of playback of a final mix or casual editing with a VST emulator .

Last edited by tubetwister; 08-05-2015 at 07:43 PM.
post #89 of 193 Old 08-06-2015, 12:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2676 Post(s)
Liked: 2453
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiGGy View Post
There are a few direct to vinyl recordings out there But it takes an amazing engineer to pull that off. Mostly classical music.

Direct to Vinyl is a very rare option ,one single mistake and everything have to be done all over again.you can't re-record the same vinyl.

but yes there still few studios doing direct to vinyl but it is a very complicated process.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct-to-disc_recording

Basically Reel to Reel became the industry standard.

Last edited by losservatore; 08-06-2015 at 01:21 AM.
post #90 of 193 Old 08-06-2015, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiGGy

Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore View Post
Direct to Vinyl is a very rare option ,one single mistake and everything have to be done all over again.you can't re-record the same vinyl.

but yes there still few studios doing direct to vinyl but it is a very complicating process.
Cool picture with no mixing ,overdubbing or editing or effects added in post you probably have to choose your material and perfrormers very carefully to get a good product .

I had a Telarc records classical album like that on vinyl in the 80's it sounded good but IIRC not remarkably or any better than a good Deutsche Grammophon or RCA Red Seal or something like that . I think I may have had some CD mixes like that from them or Deutsche Grammophon also that were given to me in the mid 2000's . They have some of that that regular stuff at Tidal hi Fi now better than the CD or vinyl mixes maybe digitized DD too but more than likley sourced from the master tapes or copys they made along with the DD vinyl then .
Presumably the direct to disc music vinyl was still manipulated by RIAA EQ anyway .

You can still get some vinyl LP's at Deutsche Grammophon along with the Decca label and a few Mercury pressings . the parent co. is Universal Music .
http://www.deutschegrammophon.com/us...ec&ADD_OTHER=1

Deutsche Grammophon was the owner of the Beatles' first record label, Polydor Records.

Last edited by tubetwister; 08-06-2015 at 01:31 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Community News & Polls

Tags
frontpage , Polls

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page