Do You Prefer Digital or Analog Recordings? - Page 7 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
View Poll Results: Do You Prefer Digital or Analog Recordings?
Digital 285 74.61%
Analog 97 25.39%
Voters: 382. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 72Likes

post #181 of 193 Old 01-18-2016, 07:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 668
Thats sad....You prefer cold/sterileness and not warm/natural beauty??

You must live in a very cold world
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 193 Old 01-18-2016, 07:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2484 Post(s)
Liked: 2264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Thats sad....You prefer cold/sterileness and not warm/natural beauty??

You must live in a very cold world
Funny, there is no "cold/sterileness" in digital music. What you think of as "warmth" is merely you having gotten used to noise. AND a very limited dynamic range. AND questionable frequency range.

You're just used to something.

If everything were switched and we had started somehow started with a digital world, are you saying that there would somehow be a new clamor for analog vinyl and tape?

This is the same nonsense that promoted the "DAD" CD mastering descriptor for a few years. THANK GOODNESS that didn't last long and is (hopefully) nearly dead.

You're the wife. You're the dead wife. Give me my @#$%ing coin, dead wife.
-Mad Sweeney
post #183 of 193 Old 01-18-2016, 01:58 PM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 4588 Post(s)
Liked: 4783
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post
Funny, there is no "cold/sterileness" in digital music. What you think of as "warmth" is merely you having gotten used to noise. AND a very limited dynamic range. AND questionable frequency range.

You're just used to something.

If everything were switched and we had started somehow started with a digital world, are you saying that there would somehow be a new clamor for analog vinyl and tape?

This is the same nonsense that promoted the "DAD" CD mastering descriptor for a few years. THANK GOODNESS that didn't last long and is (hopefully) nearly dead.
LOL you'll never convince dude111 that anything but analog has warmth or worth. Even if its crappy cassette or even 8-track let alone old vinyl....

post #184 of 193 Old 01-18-2016, 02:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

There is no point arguing this..... CERTAIN PPL HAVE BEEN CONDITIONED AND THERE IS NO WAY OF BREAKING THRU THE PROGRAMMING

And really no point making anyone mad
post #185 of 193 Old 01-18-2016, 03:15 PM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 4588 Post(s)
Liked: 4783
Quote:
There is no point arguing this..... CERTAIN PPL HAVE BEEN CONDITIONED AND THERE IS NO WAY OF BREAKING THRU THE PROGRAMMING

And really no point making anyone mad

You're mad? That would explain things....
post #186 of 193 Old 01-18-2016, 06:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Well, you certainly provide an excellent example of that...

Digital for me, analog just cannot provide adequate resolution, nor dynamic range though I have heard very good reel to reel that's come pretty close.
post #187 of 193 Old 01-18-2016, 10:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 133
I think the care and skill with which the recording is made (through to the mastering and production stage) matters much more than analog vs. digital.

Having said that, I personally feel there is some bit of what I think of as "grunginess" to many of the hit analog recordings, perhaps caused by bouncing multitracks around and thus accumulating various distortions. Digital offers a lot cleaner recording floor but can also be mishandled. My first CD experience was through a cassette adaptor, which obviously did not have the greatest noise floor, yet I liked something about the sound. Vastly reduced wow-and-flutter, I *think*

It would be interesting to see if younger people would also prefer the sound of vinyl. If not, it would imply that those who feel vinyl is more "Accurate" are perhaps simply liking what they grew up with.
post #188 of 193 Old 01-19-2016, 05:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked: 852
I was listening to LP's on a crappy "console" stereo system with tin can speakers back in the 1960's and "Quadrophonic" through the 1970's. I loved (and still do) the cool album art such as you get with Jethro Tull "Thick As A Brick", Rolling Stones "Sticky Fingers", double fold albums like The Who "Quadrophenia" and more. You just can't get big art and readable lyrics like you can with a 12" disk.

I just don't see the advantage in actual sound reproduction. I now have no scratches, clicks or pops (that weren't intentionally put there), better channel separation, higher dynamic range, lower signal to noise ratio and complete control over track selection. I still prefer to listen to an entire album at length, though there are times I like to just put together a playlist. This is SO much easier and faster than making a "mix tape", and editing, copying, saving is so simple!

The sound quality of digital (to me) is not cold nor sterile, at all.

KEF R500, R200C, R100, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758 receiver, Pro-Ject RPM1 TT w/ Ortofon 2M Red, Bluesound Vault2, Sony BDP-S480 BlueRay player, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer.
post #189 of 193 Old 01-30-2016, 01:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Even though I was raised with digital, I prefer analog...
Price-wise though I would go for digital... Go figure... LOL
post #190 of 193 Old 09-10-2017, 07:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I dont blame ya buddy for preferring analogue,its beautiful in every way
post #191 of 193 Old 09-14-2017, 07:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I find myself enjoying the entire vinyl experience over the past few years. There is something to be said about putting on an old school lp and just listening to an entire side then flipping it to side b and continuing. IMHO when you listen to digital your more likely to skip around or only listen to part of a song before hitting the skip track button. The most important part is having a title that has been well recorded and has a good mix otherwise it will suck on vinyl or digital!

What I listen to:
Vinyl
CD
SACD (Very Few Titles)
DVD-A (Very Few Titles)

Don't care for MP-3's!

Supporter of 1080p & 4K/UHD video (173 480p DVD Titles, 325 1080p Blu-ray Titles - 44 UHD 4K Blu-ray Titles - 75 HD-DVD's & Vudu 57)/ Supporter of Lossless PCM, Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio. Samsung UHD 4K Blu-ray Player UBD-K8500
post #192 of 193 Old 09-14-2017, 08:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1005 Post(s)
Liked: 1013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Moritz View Post
I find myself enjoying the entire vinyl experience over the past few years. There is something to be said about putting on an old school lp and just listening to an entire side then flipping it to side b and continuing. IMHO when you listen to digital your more likely to skip around or only listen to part of a song before hitting the skip track button. The most important part is having a title that has been well recorded and has a good mix otherwise it will suck on vinyl or digital!

What I listen to:
Vinyl
CD
SACD (Very Few Titles)
DVD-A (Very Few Titles)

Don't care for MP-3's!
Long before digital and remote controls, there were "The Analog Skippers" blame it on turntables with dampened cuing..

"Ich spreche Klingon und du?"/ "Ich spreche auch Klingon"/ "Und sie ?"/ "Wir sprechen Klingon! "
post #193 of 193 Old 09-18-2017, 06:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Moritz
What I listen to:
Vinyl
CD
SACD (Very Few Titles)