Do You Prefer Digital or Analog Recordings? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

View Poll Results: Do You Prefer Digital or Analog Recordings?
Digital 196 74.52%
Analog 67 25.48%
Voters: 263. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 47Likes

post #1 of 127 Old 08-03-2015, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked: 2277
Do You Prefer Digital or Analog Recordings?

Digital recordings are far more prevalent than analog, but the older format continues to hang on with audiophile fans. Are you among them?

These days, analog music recordings are available mostly on vinyl LPs, but believe it or not, cassettes are still around, with over 200,000 commercial titles available on Amazon! And a few audiophiles have reel-to-reel tape decks. On the other hand, digital music abounds on CD, DVD-Audio, SACD, and multitudinous online sources. (Okay, "abounds" is an overstatement for DVD-A and SACD.) And music lovers have strong opinions about which format they prefer.

Steve Guttenberg, who created the graphic above, cleverly explored this debate in his Audiophiliac blog with two separate entries—"Why does analog sound better than digital?" and "Why does digital sound better than analog?"—though in both cases, he clearly states that he prefers the sound of vinyl, at least when played on a good system. Of course, as Steve points out, digital beats analog hands down in terms of measureable distortion and noise. But he maintains that analog has a certain je ne sais quoi that reaches the human psyche more deeply, which is why vinyl survives and encourages people to actually sit and listen to music rather than playing it in the background as they do other things.

Which do you prefer, the technical "perfection" of digital or the ineffable character of analog? Keep in mind that I'm talking about uncompressed digital audio here—CD specs or better—not MP3 or other compressed formats. And of course, this is a very simplified question—a lot depends on how the original recording was captured and manipulated before it reached your hands. But in general, which do you tend to prefer?

Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forum on Twitter
+1 AVS Forum on Google+
qwho51 likes this.

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 127 Old 08-03-2015, 10:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 88
I can subjectively find things I like better with either format. Objectively, I find digital more convenient. Vinyl is really fun until you want to take a road trip.
post #3 of 127 Old 08-03-2015, 10:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 661 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Scott,

That is a loaded question, as many things have changed on the Digital end but you are comparing via format to format basis I see. Digital and Analog can mean just more thatn comparing Albums to CDs, as most CDs had a AAD, ADD or DDD conversion. Plus quality of the recording matters much more than just what format one is using, I had horribly recorded records and some of the early CDs where pretty bad as well. Plus there are a lot of changes going on in the Digital world, people picked quantity over quality when the MP3 came about, plus even Album technology has advanced but I still prefer a well recored CD/SACD/DSD or Decent digital download, but I look for well recorded material I like. Right now I am in the midst of re-recording most of my CDs over to a HD drive so I can access them easier at a higher quality than your norma iTunes 128kps/256kps bit downloads which I think are horrible. (as stated in your statement above compressed). I had a chance to work at a record/CD store in College right when CDs hit the stores and I had a chance to compare many recordings back then, and it did then and does now matter on how well it was done.

"And of course, this is a very simplified question—a lot depends on how the original recording was captured and manipulated before it reached your hands" <<<<<<< I agree 100% I just prefer a good Digital recording that is well done of course, as I don't really hear a significant enough (if any) difference to justify me keeping my Linn LP12 years ago. I made that decision years ago and been very happy ever since. That's Steve's Opinion of course, it will be interesting to see how your poll comes out. I just can't see myself digging through Album after Album searching for some thing so the convenience factor weighs in huge, plus access since you can now download most of your CDs into a software program that you can access much easier.

Last edited by Garman; 08-03-2015 at 10:57 PM.
post #4 of 127 Old 08-03-2015, 11:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 282
I much prefer digital - and have recently become a Spotify convert (It's SO convenient), but if there's an artist that I think has put out an outstanding record, I'll buy the vinyl. This makes me feel better about consuming their product, and sometimes it's nice just for a change to break out the vinyl. The packaging is great, you often get interesting liner notes and pictures, and it's nice to have a physical copy kicking around. There's a definite Zen-like experience about the act of playing a record. Inconvenient as all hell, but perhaps that's part of it's charm.

I actually picked one up today, (PJ Harvey's excellent 'Let England Shake') from Sonic Boom's new location in Toronto. I was definitely heartened to see all the younger folks pawing through records and just generally enjoying each-others company - something you never get when you buy a track from iTunes from home.

I'm not a Luddite; I still love my FLAC files and distortion free playback, BUT - I think it's great to have alternatives.
ControlZ likes this.

Last edited by Sean Spamilton; 08-04-2015 at 10:32 AM.
post #5 of 127 Old 08-03-2015, 11:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked: 914
Digital for me! As some have said above "its the recording first" and then Ill take it in sacd, or 176/24 as a first preference
Garman and tubetwister like this.
post #6 of 127 Old 08-03-2015, 11:25 PM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 113
I voted digital.

It's not always a simple answer since some transfers of older recordings to digital were done without a lot of care and I'd have been better off making my own CD from a vinyl record. But yes, all things being otherwise equal, digital.

Cheers,
Garman and tubetwister like this.
post #7 of 127 Old 08-03-2015, 11:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Even Christopher Nolan would choose digital any day for his movies' soundtracks.
post #8 of 127 Old 08-03-2015, 11:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East, dts:x Films: Under the Skin, 3D, Birdman, x_machina, The Zero Theorem, Interstellar
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 5136 Post(s)
Liked: 2164
The older stuff; 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s was analog music recordings. ...Then disco digital started in the 70s and got really going in the 80s and 90s ...and it was awful, no life, all sucked out. Later on it started to improve a little, and now in 2015 vinyl is still here and digital physical CDs are not selling anymore like they used to.
New music recordings today; they're mainly digitally recorded.
post #9 of 127 Old 08-04-2015, 12:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 990 Post(s)
Liked: 774
I use digital but is impressive all the work that takes to make Vinyl ,Also all the work that it takes to make celluloid Film , vacuum tubes,Ribbon....Scott I know that you use a Condenser Mic for your podcast ,can you share what brand and model? Your mic have a great sound.

The top recording studios use a mix of digital and analog.Nothing is completely digital unless is a hip hop ,Rap ect ,ect studio but the use of analog still around in the top recording studios.I agree that everything ends back in digital....Some/few studios are committed to analog ,their recording studios are only strictly to analog with vinyl ,but it cost a lot of money and takes a lot of work and time.

I appreciate everything from analog but my choice on the poll is Digital even if I take any day a tube guitar amp over a solid state guitar amp.

Spoiler!

Spoiler!
Garman, unavol and Bigham16 like this.

Last edited by losservatore; 08-04-2015 at 03:21 AM.
post #10 of 127 Old 08-04-2015, 12:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1932 Post(s)
Liked: 2371
Digital. I still use vinyl but the noise and inconvenience keeps it just to what records I've had around, I'm not seeking new copies. Been there done that. No je ne sais quoi just because it's vinyl. Good recordings are good recordings and when I can listen to them noise-free for a whole album without getting up to flip it, its not much of a contest. The ritual I understand works for some, but its just more work/maintenance to me and I'm only willing to maintain my current hardware and vinyl collection.

Instead of vinyl I had looked more to reel to reel as a superior solution to vinyl until cd showed up and its just been getting better since.
post #11 of 127 Old 08-04-2015, 01:23 AM

Location: The Outer Limits....Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked: 629
One has to keep in mind the recording quality of any given sample and the salient fact that analog contact media like tape and vinyl can not reach 16 bits in a million years unless someone fattens it up with loudness compression and unfortunatly that is frequently done on uniform loudness CD mixes from the old analog tape archives .

*^^^that may account for the legitamate cases where vinyl can sound better than CD's .
Note:
I'm not discusing mp3 or aac mpeg compression that's another discussion altogether and not worthy of being compared to good contact media anyway

OTOH there is no reason at all some one cant prefer the same mix outside of uniform loudness CD's or not to the same mix on vinyl (warts and all) as opposed to digital either way there are folks that devlop a prefernce for mp3 for instance and I enjoy some lossless digitized vinyl needle drops warts and all as well just not a steady diet of it unless it's digitized *correctly outside of a uniform loudness mix .

Of course there are the vagarities and variables on any given playback chain and room or phones outside of the scope of this discusion.

I grew up on anlog contact media so I'm keenly ahware of it's limitations and vagarities and the RIAA EQ vagarities on vinyl and tape playback vagaries including the mechanical vagarities of both .

OTOH propoerly digitized anlog vynil or tape contact media at 16 bits (each vs vinyl individually ) on a given mix should be indistinguishable when level matched from one another becuase 16/44 lossless can capture everyting *accuratly below the 16/44 lower nyquist rate @ 22,500 khz * you cant hear anyway and analog media doesent have a high enough bit depth equivalency to make digital artifacts a concern on a good 16/44 CD or file that isnt fattened up i.e. uniform loundess mixed .

FWIW oversampling contact media to hires is just that oversampling and in itself accompishes nothing outside of a good mix not otherwise availiable at 16/44 .

The only correct answer outside of a bias preference to which one sounds better is .......... it depends

FWIW I prefer digital which *includes correctly lossless digitized contact media * i.e. tape and vinyl but it all starts with a good recording/mix .

FWIW (again ) IMO losssless 16/44 digital at Tidal hifi is the best choice right now outside of equally good legitimate lossless digital media that wasn't uniform loudness mixed.

Tidal Hi FI 16/44 gets the 24/48 + albums and tracks including digitized contact media all from the labels for the most part and they simply truncate it to 16/44 FLAC to steam and none of it (ouside of the odd CD mix there ) ever made a uniform loudness CD/mp3 mix or an RIAA EQ vinyl mix that are both compramises and detrimental in thier own ways .

Last edited by tubetwister; 08-04-2015 at 02:07 AM.
post #12 of 127 Old 08-04-2015, 01:54 AM

Location: The Outer Limits....Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked: 629
Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore View Post
I use digital but is impressive all the work that takes to make Vinyl ,Also all the work that it takes to make celluloid Film , vacuum tubes,Ribbon....Scott I know that you use a Condenser Mic for your podcast ,can you share what brand and model? Your mic have a great sound.

The top recording studios use a mix of digital and analog.Nothing is completely digital unless is a hip hop ,Rap ect ,ect studio but the use of analog still around in the top recording studios.I agree that everything ends back into a digital CD..Some/few studios are committed to analog ,their recording studios are only strictly to analog with vinyl ,but it cost a lot of money and takes a lot of work and time.

I appreciate everything from analog but I have to choose Digital even if I take any day a guitar tube amp over a solid state guitar amp.
Cool video

You all wanna see how it was done with vinyl back in the day at the big lables or actually the RCA propaganda videos ............ watch some of *these * You Tube videos

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...facturing+RCA+

^^^^ and paritculary the first 9 Videos ! and this one for sure if not first

Last edited by tubetwister; 08-04-2015 at 02:31 AM.
post #13 of 127 Old 08-04-2015, 02:59 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I take both.

There is a huge amount of terrible recording, mastering and prints of both formats, but for me each format has its time frame and quality samples, so luck is needed to find the right cds or vinyls.

I think that those who dont like LP have never heard the right LP on the right setup, and the same for those that dont like CD, they have never heard the right CD on the right setup.

JVC X7/RS50
VDC Marquee 200Mhz+
And a few others.
post #14 of 127 Old 08-04-2015, 03:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 990 Post(s)
Liked: 774
tubetwister the video that you posted show exactly the hard work and perfection of the musicians in those ages ,no time for mistakes while recording or playing live on tv and concerts.

this is what we usually see now lip sync and bands not playing live.

check this guitar solo lol

I think this massive lip sync and bands not playing live started after the good welcome of digital/CD.

also autotune is been use a lot this days, but beside all this awful things that I see a lot , not 100% of the time but a large percent ,I still choose Digital.

Last edited by losservatore; 08-04-2015 at 10:25 AM.
post #15 of 127 Old 08-04-2015, 03:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 49
as long as its physical media it makes no difference to me

pcm=potato
bitstream=patato
post #16 of 127 Old 08-04-2015, 03:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Digital of course. The problem with the so called analog and how it is more faithful to the original recording [if it was analog] that you will not hear that exact copy of that. What you get is third generation of copy with loss at each step, not counting the loss at the mixing took place if it was done analog as well. The vast majority of current vinyl releases comes from digital recording or digital masters or both, even some of the reissues will have some digital DNA in there. There are some pure analog productions but their numbers are rare and you will have the generational loss I pointed out earlier. So if fidelity is of importance the choice is obvious.

sent via Morse code...........

The Hun
post #17 of 127 Old 08-04-2015, 04:01 AM

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus_Fine View Post
Even Christopher Nolan would choose digital any day for his movies' soundtracks.
Isn't Nolan one of the few holdouts that still shoots his movies using film, rather than digital?

Packing a lot of sound into a small room.
268 square feet/2144 cubic feet
7.2: 9 speakers and 2 subwoofers.
post #18 of 127 Old 08-04-2015, 04:10 AM

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by They_call_me_Roto View Post
Isn't Nolan one of the few holdouts that still shoots his movies using film, rather than digital?
Reading really fast, eh?
What does his preference for film has to do with SOUNDTRACKS?
post #19 of 127 Old 08-04-2015, 04:26 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Timely article, just revieved a new turntable. As a former DJ, I have a large record collection, and love vinyl. We do not have a CD or DVD player interstingly enough (at least not hooked up). However I listen to a ton of streaming music or digital downloads. I love the ease of digital, click of a button listen to whatever I want, click of a button, share it with my friends, click of a button find similar music.... That said, something in my hair just raises when I put on a vinyl record! Literally in the last week I've ordered a few hundred dollars in records, and can't wait to go shopping when I'm back to work in NYC next week!
post #20 of 127 Old 08-04-2015, 04:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked: 792
I prefer digital for sound quality, accuracy, durability and convenience.
post #21 of 127 Old 08-04-2015, 05:22 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I voted digital, although i actually prefer the listening to the only vinyl record i have rather than the digital file i made of it (the animalympics soundtrack - a classic in my family). So go figure
post #22 of 127 Old 08-04-2015, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Liked: 627
Had there been an option, I would have selected "both". BUT, given I have a life to live and with over 1200 CD's and another 1000+ record albums, I could not listen to them all, Soooo, I sold the my analog gear and record collection for the convenience factor of digital (music server) and the sound in most cases is good enough.

Our Theater

FS: PurePower 1050 Regenerator/Conditioner - Price Reduced

Obsessed is just a word the ill-informed use to describe the dedicated
post #23 of 127 Old 08-04-2015, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked: 443
For convenience I choose digital, but I do like buying soundtracks on vinyl if the price is right. Most times when I visit my buddies records store in CA, I do buy a lot of used vinyl. I guess it goes back to my days messing with turntables (former electronic dj) mixers and just for nostalgia.

October HorrorFest Participant
post #24 of 127 Old 08-04-2015, 07:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 618 Post(s)
Liked: 676
The way I look at it: I'm very happy to see Vinyl making a comeback. I was at Barnes and Nobles the other day and pleasantly surprised to see so many albums. This is a good sign for those of us who value physical media and want to continue watching movies in the highest quality available such as Blu-ray and upcoming UHD Blu-ray. There is hope that overly-compressed, overly-expensive, non-ownable streaming will not be taking over anytime soon.
Kev Greenhalgh likes this.

post #25 of 127 Old 08-04-2015, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Since I still have a bunch of vinyl records I got one of the those turntables that has its own preamp and usb output for ripping cuts. It's been so long since I've had a working TT and while I can still appreciate the warmth of the older analogue sound, I has forgotten what a pain it is to manually change cuts by trying to lay the stylus right onto the groove. For my legacy stuff the TT is fine but otherwise, for the sheer convenience, variety and flexibility, it's digital all the way.
post #26 of 127 Old 08-04-2015, 08:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked: 248
If I didn't spend so much time on AVS, I would have time for my vinyl.
taxman48 and stitch1 like this.
post #27 of 127 Old 08-04-2015, 09:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Such a broad poll...

You didn't specify the medium like: CD; SACD, DVD-A, MP3, Streaming, Uncompressed... So with that...

Digital; it's far superior when comparing the best digital has to offer
Uncompressed 192khz (sampling rate) at 24 bits will capture stuff analog can't. Period.

However; there is a lot more to this story than just simple analog vs digital. Reality is digital plugins/gear can't really replicate the sound of a SSL or Neve boards preamps or a transformer balanced ceramic cartridge from a record player for that matter. So a lot of todays albums are ran through analog gear just to color it up a bit... Transformers add in some harmonics that add to the sound

-SiGGy

Last edited by SiGGy; 08-04-2015 at 09:09 AM.
post #28 of 127 Old 08-04-2015, 09:11 AM

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 79
The comments and the poll standings right now do not match. Seems like the analog guys are not speaking up or they did not read the first post and just answered the poll.

I love analog and have gotten that same LP and CD to compare. I have a small LP collection and I love every LP that I have even stupid ones like some french kids LP's. I can put on an LP and be happy. If the LP has lots of noise and or skips, I'm okay with it. When I sit down to a CD I want it to be perfect and I hate when it skips. I know which CD's sound better than others and I tend to not listen to the bad ones. It's sad to hear a bad CD because it's a great format. All my SACD's but one (B.B. King) I love and will listen the same way as LP's. I wish all my CD's where SACD in the sense that more care on sound quality was used.

I’m not a fan of DVD-Audio because I need to hook up a small screen to navigate the menu.
At the end of the day If the same care was taken to make an Album I would pick SACD or CD.
I will add that I have at one point or another a 4 channel all tower or 5 channel tower/bookshelf or 4.1 system and I only like 2 channel SACD’s for all of my non pink Floyd albums.
post #29 of 127 Old 08-04-2015, 09:12 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I enjoyed burning all my vinyl to discs after decades of not pulling them out and playing them despite having my trusty old Revox linear tracker hooked up in my main listening area.

Nice to hear those old tunes again and they sound great in WAV burned to vinyl using a Project Debut Carbon and the DAK mixer, (hate those crappy USB Turntables).

So I guess I'm a convenience guy and truth be told, in the car and on my secondary stereo, hard to immediately tell if I'm listening to a CR rip or a Vinyl digital conversion on playback as vinyl quality can be very good as mentioned.

My now 30 year old daughter is HUGE into vinyl along with her b/f and the loved the vintage gear I gave them: Revox 795, old Denon receiver, vintage B&W CM1's and an SPL1000 sub.

While, obviously, they listen to digital in their cars they just love the vintage gear, vintage feel and yet excellent sonic qualities available on vinyl.

What I don't understand is their habit of spending $100+ per copy for "rare" vinyl of modern artists.

That, to me, is just plain nutty.

The fact that the hardware to rip audio from vinyl also works great for ripping analog audio from Concert DVD's and any other analog audio source is awesome.

So glad I didn't toss my 200 or so albums from back in the day, (stopped buying vinyl in the early 80's).
post #30 of 127 Old 08-04-2015, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked: 425
Digital for me.

If you look into the classic RIAA curve that vinyl uses, you see the inherent problem. Because an LP can't reproduce accurate bass down to 20hz, the have to compress bass during mastering and boost it on playback.

That's right, compression, and analog compression to boot!

In addition every time you play an LP you lose some HF detail due to track wear. The better your needle, cartridge, and turntable precision, less is lost. Remember back in the 60s and 70s, hard core audiophiles would often copy their LPs to high quality reel-to-reel tape and never play the record again. That just further proves how unstable the medium is.

Nostalgia aside, from an engineering perspective, vinyl is clearly inferior. But some like it's unique sound better so I say go ahead and enjoy it. There is a certain satisfaction to using vintage components and technology.

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Community News & Polls

Tags
frontpage , Polls

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page