What Is Your Favorite Source for Downloading Music? - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
View Poll Results: What Is Your Favorite Source for Downloading Music?
Amazon 63 15.04%
CD Baby 8 1.91%
HDTracks 60 14.32%
iTrax 3 0.72%
iTunes 88 21.00%
Pono 3 0.72%
Rhapsody/Napster 11 2.63%
Other 91 21.72%
I don't download music 92 21.96%
Voters: 419. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 38Likes

post #61 of 125 Old 08-13-2015, 05:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
PrestoClassical. Their prices are the lowest.

I've used qobuz but they have administrative problems.

With every download service, you need to check the files to make sure they are really hi-res, and not just old recordings padded with empty space to fill a larger (and more expensive) file. I use Spek, a free and extremely-easy-to-use spectrogram generator. You can also use Audacity (free) which has lots of other features.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 125 Old 08-14-2015, 03:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Amazon is my current favorite for snagging a quick MP3 of old music or one-hit wonders without buying the entire album. If I like the MP3 enough, I buy the CD and rip it to FLAC. I haven't yet dealt with hi-res stuff mainly because there's no equivalent one-stop shop for standards-based (ie. non-DRM) hi-res music. I do have some stuff on DVD and Blu-ray, but ripping it doesn't fit into my usual workflow using abcde.

You get what you pay for.  For professional advice, pay the professional rate.
post #63 of 125 Old 08-14-2015, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 24
What the Hell, people? The best source for downloadable is Linn Records and their 24/192 Studio Masters. Wake up, music lovers!!

post #64 of 125 Old 08-14-2015, 11:49 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Why the hell isn't Bandcamp in this poll? It's THE cheapest site for flac / super awesome interface / HUGE selection.. 22% put "other" I wonder how much of that is Band camp.

Onkyo TX-809 Reciever 
Tekton Double Impact L-C-R
Energy Veritas 6.2 rears (2)
Power Sound Audio T-18 Subwoofer
Emotiva Xpr-5 Amp.
post #65 of 125 Old 08-14-2015, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Bandcamp really is a great choice that should be in the poll. I much prefer Amazon over Itunes for more mainstream/major label music that can't be found on Bandcamp. I like that Amazon will download files right into a folder structure but the interface itself is clunky and slow. Bandcamp takes more work once files are downloaded but there is much more control over the format that you can download and the interface is quicker.
post #66 of 125 Old 08-14-2015, 01:10 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
What Is Your Favorite Source for Downloading Music?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibuna View Post
i don't download music

i buy CDs

Likewise, for as much long as I can, anyway.
post #67 of 125 Old 08-14-2015, 05:22 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I download a lot, but not from these usual suspects, well a little from HDTracks and a few from Pono. Mostly I use Native DSD, Downloads Now (Blue Coast), some from Prostudio and Quobuz. All my choices have real hi res files and Native DSD is the top of the lot with pure unadulterated DSD. The rest are redbook at best, but generally lossy empty3 stuff. Your selection shows you to be out of touch with where the best quality is available.
post #68 of 125 Old 08-14-2015, 06:48 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I have over $100 in iTunes gift cards and haven't taken the time to down load anything to my >3k (AAC & WAV) iTunes collection for over a year. When my computer crashed I just plugged in my USB hard drive back up into my Oppo 103D and listened from there. When SQ matters I resort to my collection of SACDs and DVDs. I know -- not an answer, but one day I'll catch up with the times sometime after my home theater has never been completed. Until then, I enjoy Pandora without a discerning ear on any system I own.
post #69 of 125 Old 08-15-2015, 08:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Lightbulb Also check out ArtistShare

If you've looked at Bandcamp on the recommendation of some of the comments here, but are more into mainstream jazz, check out ArtistShare.com. It's being used by well-known (and lesser-known) artists to do projects on the same fan-supported basis.

They've been at this since 2003 (predating Kickstarter and the like) and when you join a project there, you not only get the CD once it's released but a 320 kbps download to listen to while you're waiting for the disk to arrive, plus (depending on the artist) extra tracks by downlad, podcasts, scans of the music, and - if you kick in enough - invites to recording sessions and concerts.

You can, of course, join a project after the CD comes out and get the disk by mail and the download immediately - or just buy the download for a bit less. The pricing for a CD + download is pretty much straight retail, but you know that the artist is getting most of it! Some projects even list the donors on the labels (if you get in before the disk comes out).

Last edited by Philnick; 08-15-2015 at 08:40 AM.
post #70 of 125 Old 08-15-2015, 08:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Lightbulb Also check out CD Baby

CD Baby is another great site, mainly used by artists to sell disks and downloads direct to their fans.

Has many artists in many genres, many of them well-known but on their own. It has more stuff than ArtistShare and Bandcamp combined.

Their progress report emails after you've placed an order are worth the price of admission themselves, describing in loving over-the-top detail the parade to the post office to send your order off to you.

post #71 of 125 Old 08-16-2015, 08:23 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I either buy CD and rip to flac or just download flac from torrent or usenet. Then I convert to MP3 for listening in car or phone and stream flac to my home stereo or theater for serious listening.
post #72 of 125 Old 08-16-2015, 09:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I honestly do not have a favorite site to download and while I did download a few songs from iTunes in the past I have since stopped and have not downloaded since. I do not see any value in downloaded music and IMHO the quality is just not there.

Supporter of 1080p & 4K/UHD video (173 480p DVD Titles, 325 1080p Blu-ray Titles - 44 UHD 4K Blu-ray Titles - 75 HD-DVD's & Vudu 57)/ Supporter of Lossless PCM, Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio. Samsung UHD 4K Blu-ray Player UBD-K8500
post #73 of 125 Old 08-16-2015, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Moritz View Post
I honestly do not have a favorite site to download and while I did download a few songs from iTunes in the past I have since stopped and have not downloaded since. I do not see any value in downloaded music and IMHO the quality is just not there.
May i offer a suggestion? LinnRecords has many high quality recordings available for download that provide as near to original master recording quality as possible. They provide you several options including studio master 24-bit / 192KHz in FLAC format (which most media players can play). This is the quality level before compressing it down to CD quality, giving you the chance to experience it much the same as the musicians and producer intended. Browse the catalog, choose one or two that look interesting (you can play samples) and see if they meet your expectations. Remember, Linn's founder is the man who back in the 1970s began the push toward turntables, amps and speakers which convey the true rhythm and presence of music.

You can read more about their Studio Master recordings here: http://www.linnrecords.com/linn-down...file-type.aspx

Cheers!
post #74 of 125 Old 08-17-2015, 08:34 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 9
I get used cd's from amazon & also use their cloud.
Lately I've been using Tidal's FLAC 1411 & may just stick with it.

I can do Tidal FLAC 1411 on a chrome browser on my laptop's internal WiFi (miracast) to my Samsung TV smarthub & optically attached sound system. Tidal will only let me do AAC 320 on the Samsung smarthub browser however. Which may be goodnuff, still testing!
Maybe Tidal can come out with a smarthub app like the others. Spotify, Pandora, MilkMusic...

Google Play Store also has a Tidal app that I use on my phone.
I need more than 2 channels.
Quote Samsung
DTS NEO 2:5, converts the format it receives to DTS (5.1).
If it gets stereo, it up converts.
If it gets DD 5.1, it "cross" converts.
If it gets DTS it passes it thru.

I like to "Blow out the Windows!" with stuff like Pitbull's mmm yeah or Don't Stop the Party!, Uptown Funk (Dave Aude Remix), & Van Halen

Last edited by Rex Steinkuller; 08-18-2015 at 08:27 AM.
post #75 of 125 Old 08-17-2015, 09:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I will have to check that out Southleft thanks for the recommendation.

Supporter of 1080p & 4K/UHD video (173 480p DVD Titles, 325 1080p Blu-ray Titles - 44 UHD 4K Blu-ray Titles - 75 HD-DVD's & Vudu 57)/ Supporter of Lossless PCM, Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio. Samsung UHD 4K Blu-ray Player UBD-K8500
post #76 of 125 Old 08-18-2015, 12:51 AM

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 80
AIX Records together with their ITRAX download service, because you know that if they say the recording is hi-res sourced AND hi-res produced, you know it is true. So totally up front with the original recording set-up. Small but growing catalogue from respected labels (AIX, 2L, Harmonia Mundi, Naxos). Not the same size catalogue size as HD Tracks, but you always know what type of recording you are getting.
Otherwise, yes, original CDs , concert DVD's and Blu-rays bought and digitized, and the originals safely stored.
post #77 of 125 Old 08-18-2015, 07:39 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
I buy from itunes usually but sometimes Amazon.

Scott mentions that Stream music is extremely popular but I should add that it is if its given as a free item. Most streaming subscriptions are of the free variety. Very few total subscribers are pay customers. Look at the Spotify numbers as an example. Just today there are numerous reports of people giving up on the newer Apple Music:

http://www.theguardian.com/technolog...half-tuned-out

Not very good for a new service.
post #78 of 125 Old 08-21-2015, 05:10 PM

Liked: 11
Rhapsody, for streaming. Hands down for day to day. Hi Res I go for HD Tracks, again hands down.
post #79 of 125 Old 09-09-2015, 05:41 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Usually use Amazon. Its fast and easy and with a pretty good selection (at least with the type of music I listen too)
post #80 of 125 Old 09-12-2015, 07:26 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibuna View Post
i don't download music

i buy CDs
Best of both worlds at Amazon. Often if you buy the CD, you get the digital as well. And some times it's cheaper.
post #81 of 125 Old 09-18-2015, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbraun61 View Post
Best of both worlds at Amazon. Often if you buy the CD, you get the digital as well. And some times it's cheaper.
Hey, on the subject of sourcing:

I am in Australia, and have been a great fan of classical recordings from Deutsche Grammophon. Some years ago was most annoyed to see DG was putting out some tempting recordings on DVD-Audio, but whenever I researched this on the DG site, an automatic message popped up indicating these dvd-audio titles not available to Australian customers (man how I hate various regional licensing deals that beset the av world).

I know from other forums that DG, for a while, started up their own digital download, but which was apparently poorly managed. My last bit of research seemed to suggest that even now, legal DG downloads could only be bought as MP3s from Amazon, or higher-res DG downloads only from i-Tunes. Would love to buy many DG titles in studio master flac format, but cannot find a source other than itunes, which I do not want to touch.

Anyone know anything on this?
post #82 of 125 Old 09-30-2015, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madaudio View Post
Hey, on the subject of sourcing:

I am in Australia, and have been a great fan of classical recordings from Deutsche Grammophon. Some years ago was most annoyed to see DG was putting out some tempting recordings on DVD-Audio, but whenever I researched this on the DG site, an automatic message popped up indicating these dvd-audio titles not available to Australian customers (man how I hate various regional licensing deals that beset the av world).

I know from other forums that DG, for a while, started up their own digital download, but which was apparently poorly managed. My last bit of research seemed to suggest that even now, legal DG downloads could only be bought as MP3s from Amazon, or higher-res DG downloads only from i-Tunes. Would love to buy many DG titles in studio master flac format, but cannot find a source other than itunes, which I do not want to touch.

Anyone know anything on this?
Anybody?? Deutsche Grammophon Hi-Res (min 96/24 or 88.2/24, and pref surround??). Where to get (downloads, not the discs)?
post #83 of 125 Old 09-30-2015, 07:39 PM

Anybody?? Deutsche Grammophon Hi-Res (min 96/24 or 88.2/24, and pref surround??). Where to get (downloads, not the discs)?
post #84 of 125 Old 10-01-2015, 01:51 AM

post #85 of 125 Old 10-01-2015, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southleft View Post
I don't believe it!!! I have been to that site many times, indeed, just prior to my post above, and the only choices I got were Buy From Amazon or Buy From iTunes or Presto Classical.

Now there is a third choice which has never appeared to me before: Buy from Universal Music Store (which of course is buying direct, as DG is a part of the Universal group.

Are they finally getting their act together, or will I find some titles are blocked from me because of regional licensing?? I am going to attempt to buy a couple of titles and see what happens.

Thank you Southleft for making me look again at that site.
post #86 of 125 Old 10-01-2015, 09:31 AM

No problem! Until recently Linn Records (based in Scotland) was selling DG but they dissolved that retail partnership. I guess DG wanted to market their own stuff?
post #87 of 125 Old 10-01-2015, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 73
SSD music

I download my music from CD to a SS flash drive. They are cheap enough to have multiple drives for different music. Sort of like the new version of cassettes without the space. Can't wait for the high -end version of flash drives. lol

Klipsch so much it Hz
OTA all the way
79 LaScala's
78 Heresy's
Onkyo, Grommes
Thorens
post #88 of 125 Old 10-01-2015, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Crowley View Post
I download my music from CD to a SS flash drive. They are cheap enough to have multiple drives for different music. Sort of like the new version of cassettes without the space. Can't wait for the high -end version of flash drives. lol
High-end flash drives are upon us!
Fastest (and most expensive): capacity 16GB up to 256GB / Read speed:140MB/sec. up to 250MB/sec. / Write speed: 60MB/sec. up to 190MB/sec. (large capacity drives Write faster) / brand: Sandisk, Patriot, PNY, etc.
Fast (and less expensive): similar above except the Read speed is around 80MB/sec. up to 120MB/sec. / Write speed is usually 10MB/sec. up to 20MB/sec.
Of course, for music playback we only need about 6MB/sec. or less so all the high performance flash drives are overkill in that respect. The only real advantage with music would be fast Write speed which would minimise the time needed to copy/save music files onto the flash drive. But, hey, if you've cued up a bunch of songs or albums to transfer onto the flash drive does it matter whether it takes one minute or 8 minutes, especially if you're doing something else in the meantime?
If the Write speed doesn't matter then you can still buy large capacity USB 2.0 flash drives dirt cheap online!
Absolute fastest performance is from a portable SSD with USB connector, and they cost the most, too.
Steve Crowley likes this.
post #89 of 125 Old 10-02-2015, 04:03 AM

Spotify should be in the list
post #90 of 125 Old 10-09-2015, 03:57 AM

I don't download a lot, but I usually use iTunes when I need something new in my playlist
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Community News & Polls

Tags
frontpage , Polls

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page