Father's Day Gift Guide for Dreamers and Lottery Winners - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes
  • 3 Post By Scott Wilkinson
  • 1 Post By Scott Wilkinson
  • 1 Post By Mashie Saldana
  • 1 Post By GrandPixel
  • 1 Post By anthonymoody

post #1 of 15 Old 06-14-2016, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1618 Post(s)
Liked: 4368
Father's Day Gift Guide for Dreamers and Lottery Winners

Most of us can't spend unlimited amounts on Father's Day gifts this—or any—year, but we can dream. And who knows, you might win the lottery or otherwise strike it rich someday. Even better, maybe you already have. If so—or you just like to dream big—here are some recommendations for over-the-top Father's Day gifts.

HEADPHONES

Stax SR-009 ($5250)

I had the pleasure of reviewing the Stax SR-007 Mk II electrostatic headphones some years ago, and I quickly fell in love with their sound. However, they were simply too expensive for me to buy at the time—or now, for that matter. The current Stax flagship is the SR-009, which I haven't heard, but InnerFidelity.com editor Tyll Hertsens has, saying, "Simply put, this is the world's best headphone. The speed, clarity, and resolution is simply stunning…These are electrostatic headphones and require a special type of amplifier to drive them. Because they are 'cost no object' headphones, and because they are so extraordinarily good, I highly recommend purchasing the best possible electrostatic headphone amplifier. For me, that means the HeadAmp Blue Hawaii SE [$4980]." That's over $10,000 for a pair of headphones and an amp, but as long as we're dreaming…

STREAMER/SERVER

Kaleidescape Strato Movie Player ($4495 with 6 TB of storage)

Kaleidescape has always represented the pinnacle of movie servers with bit-for-bit copies of Blu-ray discs, and the Strato really ups the ante. The company's newest player offers 4K/UHD playback of titles from its online store—of which there are over 100 as of this writing—at bit rates up to 100 Mbps and frame rates up to 60 fps, the same as Ultra HD Blu-ray. Also, it performs high-quality upscaling of Blu-ray and DVD content. Even better, it supports high dynamic range (HDR) in the HDR10 format and lossless multichannel audio, including Dolby Atmos. (The 4K/UHD titles in the Kaleidescape store are not yet HDR, but that's coming soon.) The optional 6 TB internal hard drive can store up to 100 UHD movies, 200 Blu-ray movies, or 900 DVD movies. For even more storage and multi-room capabilities, you can add one or more Terra movie servers with up to 24 TB of storage ($7995 each with maximum storage) for up to 400 4K/UHD titles, 800 Blu-ray titles, or 3600 DVD titles in each server with cloud backup. A movie-loving dad's dream!

PREAMP-PROCESSOR

Trinnov Altitude32 ($32,150 for 32 channels, 3D audio, and calibration microphone)

At the heart of most high-end home theaters is a preamp-processor that selects which source device to use and processes the signals as needed for playback. (AV receivers do the same thing, but they also include power amps for the speakers; pre-pros require separate, outboard power amps.) Among the most drool-worthy pre-pros is the Trinnov Altitude32, which can be configured for 8- to 32-channel operation. As an extra-cost option, it supports all the immersive audio formats, including Dolby Atmos, Auro 3D, and DTS:X. And of course, it offers a wealth of other advanced features, such as speaker remapping for less-than-ideal placements. Now, all you need are amps and speakers for all those channels, and your father will be fully immersed in sound.

SPEAKERS

JBL M2 ($24,275/pair)

JBL really knocked it out of the park with the M2 speaker, which is now a favorite among recording engineers. This 2-way speaker includes a dual-diaphragm, dual voice-coil compression tweeter mounted in a custom-designed waveguide for wide horizontal dispersion and a 15" differential-drive woofer in a ported cabinet. The result is a frequency response from 20 Hz to 40 kHz and an astounding maximum output of 123 dB SPL with exceedingly low distortion. Of course, $24,275/pair is expensive, but that price does include two Crown iTech 5000HD 2-channel power amps that biamp each speaker with 1200 watts for the tweeter and 1200W for the woofer. For a complete surround system, add some LSR708i ($4850/pair) and/or LSR705i ($3200/pair) bookshelf speakers that use much of the same technology as the M2—and those prices include a Crown DCi 2/300N 2-channel power amp. Dear old dad will be in audio heaven!

TV

LG 65G6 OLED ($8000)

OLED is generally regarded as the best flat-panel television technology available today, and LG is the only company that makes large-screen OLED TVs. The 2016 flagship 65G6 offers OLED's essentially perfect blacks and rich colors as well as UHD Premium certification, which assures an exceptional level of performance. Perhaps most important, this TV includes support for both types of high dynamic range (HDR): Dolby Vision, which is used by most streaming services that offer HDR content, and HDR10, which is used on Ultra HD Blu-ray titles. Plus, the Picture-on-Glass design looks great with any décor. What father wouldn't love to get one of these gems on his special day?

If money were no object, what would you get your dad this year?

Note: Please do not quote this entire article when posting a comment. Feel free to quote the relevant portion that pertains to your comment, but wading through the entire thing in the comments is quite annoying. Thanks!
imagic, freeman4 and Cla55clown like this.

Scott Wilkinson
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by Scott Wilkinson; 06-14-2016 at 11:26 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 06-14-2016, 09:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Technics EAH-T700 - $1,200

Sennheiser HD 800 S - $1,699

post #3 of 15 Old 06-14-2016, 10:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked: 673
+1 on the Trinnov Altitude32, this SSP is a beast that has many hidden values that are uncovered as you dive deeper into its features.

post #4 of 15 Old 06-14-2016, 12:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked: 368
How does Trinnov compare to Dirac?

When Outlaw audio was going to release a processor with Trinnov processing years ago I was super excited. It's a shame that product never came to fruition. You don't see many consumer devices with Trinnove, but you're starting to see a lot of Dirac.

Builds: Maelstrom 21 Ottoman Build, Dual Opposed MFW's x 2, Statements, SEOS-12/TD12M x 5. Home Theater
On-deck: Finalists, The AviaTrix (soundbar), Statement II's, UM18x4
post #5 of 15 Old 06-14-2016, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 1035
How about Prima Cinema for dear ole Dad?
post #6 of 15 Old 06-14-2016, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeman4 View Post
Great idea! As I recall, $35,000 for the hardware and $500 per movie day and date with the theatrical release.
freeman4 likes this.

Scott Wilkinson
Editor, AVS Forum
post #7 of 15 Old 06-16-2016, 03:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2379 Post(s)
Liked: 2153
For those that want/need the amount of processing that a Altitude32 has... but that "only have" $7000 in the bank, this would be the next best thing:

24 XLR inputs and 48 XLR outputs, and all the processing power of a 8802A or Oppo 115 and then some, but with comparable matrixing/routing/XO/EQ/DSP power of a Altitude48!

The only thing you don't get is the Altitude32's custom 32ch Auro/Atmos processing, you only get the 8802's 11.2 version (you'll live...)
The only downside is you have to take a double ADA/DAC hit (but since the Motu uses -132db Sabre Ref chips I don't think any double-conversion will be noticeable.)

What it looks like:

(I really like the visual of its 72 channels worth of LCD level-meters WOW! )

Wiring Diagram:

Here is one place to buy it all from:
2x: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/24Ao
6x: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ModSnakeXLRM

1x: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/24Ai
6x: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ModSnakeXLRF

1x: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AVBSwitch

For me I have no choice in this matter, I am basically being "forced" to go in this direction since I need huge amounts of multi-way mapping to make my system work. No conventional product has the 34 channels I need to make my system work optimally.

I'm just holding out for the Oppo 115 though... just in case it is better than the 8802 for Atmos/DTSX to XLR processing, only time will tell.
Otherwise I'll be forced to add a Samsung UBD-K8500 player to the 8802, but I'd rather it be consolidated into one unit to save rack space and money. (i.e. Oppo 115). Potentially a ~$2000 savings, so it is worth waiting for...

Right now I'm "limping by" with an Oppo 105 and a bunch of DCX's and cleanboxes, which only gives me 8chx18ch XLR instead of 24chx48ch XLR.
It gets the job done nicely, but it could be more-optimal for sure...

But until then, I have a lot of ramen noodle dinners to eat first!

I even confirmed with Motu tech support if the above solution is valid, and they said yes it should work. Up to 16x48 in 192kHz mode and the full 24x48 in 96khz or lower modes.
Quote:
Thank you for your interest.

I’ve looked through your diagram. If I understand correctly you have an analog source that will feed into the 24Ai. The 24Ai will pass the signals through an AVB switch into the two 24Ao and ultimately up into the computers. JRiver software will process the signals in each computer and pass the processed audio out through the 24Aos.

If I am understanding correctly then yes I can confirm that this configuration will work.

If I can be of further service, please let me know.

Dave Roberts - MOTU
For those that need even more than 24x48 XLR, the AVB hub scales up to 5 devices, and multiple hubs can be chained together to increase the channels in and out even further. Supposedly up to 256-512 channels I think... total overkill for even the largest rock concert or home system.

I'd love to have a Altitude32 connected to a 512ch Motu system, but the cost would be as much as a Lambo. A person can dream though...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	54367.jpg
Views:	512
Size:	172.8 KB
ID:	1500593   Click image for larger version

Name:	5768.jpg
Views:	565
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	1500601  

Last edited by BassThatHz; 06-16-2016 at 03:46 AM.
post #8 of 15 Old 06-16-2016, 04:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 804 Post(s)
Liked: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassThatHz View Post
For those that want/need the amount of processing that a Altitude32 has... but that "only have" $7000 in the bank, this would be the next best thing:
Not much point just duplicated the same signals over and over, the entire point of the Altitude32 is to have the lovely 32 channel rendering of immersive audio plus the Trinnov room correction.
GrandPixel likes this.

Tower Cinema - 9.1.6 in a 12'x12' room

Input : Nvidia Shield TV, Panasonic DMP-UB400
Magic : Marantz SR7010, Marantz SR6010, 2x NAD T743
Output : Pioneer KRP-600a, SVS PB13 Ultra, Monitor Audio GSLCR 2xGS20 2xGS10 4xGSFX 6xBX1
post #9 of 15 Old 06-16-2016, 08:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2379 Post(s)
Liked: 2153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashie Saldana View Post
Not much point just duplicated the same signals over and over, the entire point of the Altitude32 is to have the lovely 32 channel rendering of immersive audio plus the Trinnov room correction.
There are two main uses for the Trinnov's channels: many multi-way and many active subwoofers. Something no regular processor can do. The Motu system gives you that, and that is exactly why I need it.
Even the mighty cx-a5000 and 8802A don't have support for multi-way; and they max out at only 2 subwoofers.
My left, right and center are each 4-way active. That's 12 channels of processing and amplification consumed right there. Add some surrounds, heights and an array of active subwoofers and bam, you're at 34 channels.

For those that don't have many multi-way active XO's and a large array of active subwoofers, a simple regular AVR will do. A Motu system would be totally useless or pointless.

I won't be using it to mirror channels, although an array of phantom-matrixed channels is a possibility (my room is far too small for that), maybe someone with a 10,000cuft room on a budget would desire such a feature.

The other main use of the Trinnov, is as you mentioned, the 32ch immersive audio feature, which you'll only get with the Trinnov system. But you'll still need a Motu-like solution if you use multi-way speakers as they eat up too many XLR channels, which eats into the big-immersion effects if you don't.
The Trinnov is definitely not your average-Dad's processor... not just because of the price tag, but because it would require a dedicated theater room of at least 2500cuft or more... (at least if you want an optimal experience, which for that price I'm sure you would want that.)

I don't think people buy a Trinnov to correct their room, People that can afford that product already have a professionally treated and optimized dedicated-theater room.
If anything in their room needs the correction capabilities, it would be their speakers response, phase and delay.
(It should be noted that the Motu/JRiver combo system has all that too, it's just manual not automated. Which is fine by me... I use REW and a CSL UMIK-1 anyway which tells me when it is correct in an automated way, and recommends PEQ filters for any given channel/driver measured.)
post #10 of 15 Old 06-17-2016, 09:53 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeman4 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post
Great idea! As I recall, $35,000 for the hardware and $500 per movie day and date with the theatrical release.
What is this sorcery? Theatrical releases at home!?
freeman4 likes this.
post #11 of 15 Old 06-17-2016, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandPixel View Post
What is this sorcery? Theatrical releases at home!?
Yep, for the 1%...or maybe the 0.1%!

Scott Wilkinson
Editor, AVS Forum
post #12 of 15 Old 07-13-2016, 11:35 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 22
My audio dream is without a doubt a full surround sound set of Meyer Sound X-10 speakers. Unlimited dynamic range, the simplicity of a two-way design, full 20-20 frequency response, the impulse response of electrostatics, literally designed (in part) by rocket scientists, and who knows how many of your favorite albums were mixed and/or mastered on them!

Ugly as sin though...
post #13 of 15 Old 06-01-2017, 01:02 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked: 526
The $35,000 JVC 4K projector.

The $60,000 100" Sony Z9D.
pgwalsh likes this.

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
post #14 of 15 Old 06-01-2017, 01:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post
The $35,000 JVC 4K projector.

The $60,000 100" Sony Z9D.
Very nice choices. I have the 65" Sony, but the 100" should be awesome. However at those price ranges I'd go with the JVC.

Builds: Maelstrom 21 Ottoman Build, Dual Opposed MFW's x 2, Statements, SEOS-12/TD12M x 5. Home Theater
On-deck: Finalists, The AviaTrix (soundbar), Statement II's, UM18x4
post #15 of 15 Old 06-01-2017, 01:48 PM
SRT

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked: 125
https://www.bang-olufsen.com/en/coll...kers/beolab-90

Bang & Olufsen = Beolab90

M2 used to be my dream speaker.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement