HT of the Month: The Hahn Theater - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 161Likes

post #61 of 187 Old 08-11-2016, 06:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 94
The best I've ever seen. Amazing/spectacular /fascinating .
Your are someone that has the right ideas. One of my material dream,once in a life time. It be ok to be proud of yourself, go ahead

PeterV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 187 Old 08-11-2016, 07:29 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 24
One word...............WOW.

Like someone else said, if I ever win the lottery I'm calling Keith Yates and saying "I'll take a Hahn Theater."
oneeyeblind likes this.
post #63 of 187 Old 08-11-2016, 10:08 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by javanpohl View Post
Wanting to keep the walls dark but to not also have the room be oppressively dark is a big debate that results in a trade-off somewhere. But why not have a black material on a motorized roller (like a motorized roller blind) that comes down when the movie starts? BOOM.

Amazing theater by the way. Probably one of the best home theaters I've ever seen.
Don't think I didn't consider that - almost exactly what you propose! The problem was how to design it so the rollers were invisible when 'tucked' away. It would have involved allocating space that was already taken for acoustic treatment and HVAC ducting. Plus it would have added to the cost immeasurably (yes, there really was a budget)! Also, the material would have to be acoustically transparent because it would be blocking surround speakers...

But boy, I considered it. That said, now that the theater is finished, I'm kinda glad I didn't figure out a way to do it, because there's something interesting that happens when you sit in the 3rd row. You sense the size of the room from that row, and because of that, it somehow tells the brain that the 19' screen is _really_ big, because you have a frame of reference, something to compare it to.

-Rob

Rob Hahn Theater build

An Evening With Rob Hahn
oneeyeblind likes this.

post #64 of 187 Old 08-11-2016, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post
Congratulations Rob...........................definitely "Home Theater of the Year or Decade!"

As I mentioned in your build thread, appreciate the attention to detail and pounding pavement to find best practices! Your passions coming to fruition...............appreciate sharing your journey!

Just one question.............did you ever get a chance to audition Triad's Cinema Reference speakers? Just wondering....................
Thank you so much! No I didn't hear the Triads, though they have a great reputation. Initially we considered Genelecs but I thought they were too harsh sounding. I traveled around the country with Keith to listen to speakers that were part of theater installations, speakers that he wanted me to consider. I figured if we didn't like what we heard, I'd have to broaden my search (I'm sure the Triads would have then been auditioned). As it turned out, I stopped my search when I listened to the JBL M2s.

Here's a thread that Art Sonnenborn started, pointing to a specific message where I talk little about choosing the speakers:

An Evening With Rob Hahn
oneeyeblind likes this.
post #65 of 187 Old 08-11-2016, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike View Post
Rob, congratulations! Given what Keith's team was able to accomplish with my MUCH more modest project, I can only imagine what a spectacular experience your theater must provide. Enjoy it!!
Thanks Mike - I enjoyed meeting you at Cedia - that was when I was embarking on this whole journey. Now look where we are!

-Rob

Rob Hahn Theater build

An Evening With Rob Hahn
post #66 of 187 Old 08-11-2016, 11:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 664 Post(s)
Liked: 465
Besides the technical features, this is the most beautiful private theater I've ever seen... by a long shot. It just hits all the subtly elegant points from beautiful woodwork to plain walls to colors. The only comment I'd make. The only comment I'd make... is that you need a sofa in the money spot. I love snuggling with my wife and my dog while watching a movie. It's one of the great advantages of a private theater along with having wine, beer, pee breaks, and clean floors... being able to curl up with your loved ones for a movie is the best!
OzHDHT and oneeyeblind like this.
post #67 of 187 Old 08-11-2016, 11:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Hahn View Post
Thanks Mike - I enjoyed meeting you at Cedia - that was when I was embarking on this whole journey. Now look where we are!

-Rob
Yes, it was a pleasure meeting you there, too! I'm so glad your project has turned out so beautifully. I was sure it would with Keith and Geoff involved.

Mike Kobb
(Formerly "ReplayMike". These opinions are mine alone, and in no way reflect the opinions of employers past or present!)
"Mike's Money Pit" Build Thread
post #68 of 187 Old 08-12-2016, 08:15 AM

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Congratulations! What an amazing accomplishment.

I am so impressed by the commitment from conceiving the ultimate theater, research, planning, managing a huge project, pulling in expert contributors at every phase, and finishing with attention to detail that is astounding.

Thanks for showing it. A standard of excellence to inspire all.
post #69 of 187 Old 08-12-2016, 09:55 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Rob this build is truly spectacular! I read the article word for word (I usually skim), I actually think I read the subwoofer part twice lol. S/O to all involved in bringing this to life. I forwarded the article to 5 people.

Well done sir, well done!
post #70 of 187 Old 08-12-2016, 11:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked: 450
Well, d@mn. Mine will never be better than that.

HT: B&W 802 D2 - Martin Logan Focus - DefTech XTR-20BP - Dual SVS SB16 Ultra - Parasound Halo A21 and A31 - Anthem AVM 60 - Samsung UN65JS8500

Office 2CH: Martin Logan Motion 60Xt - Crown XLI 800 - Bluesound Node 2
WAF is currently at DEFCON ORANGE
post #71 of 187 Old 08-12-2016, 11:48 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Marvelous!!👏👏👏👏👏
post #72 of 187 Old 08-12-2016, 03:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2391 Post(s)
Liked: 2169
Not just theater of the month. This is the best overall theater I've ever seen in "my entire life"... thus far. DAMN SON!
If I had $2-400k to spend on a single room, I'd probably do something similar...

The only flaw that I can see, is the lack of soundproofing to prevent all those subwoofers from being heard on the other side of the wall or house, or maybe even the other side of the country!
I wouldn't be surprized if this system reaches over 130db above 40hz, easily...
You should buy a SPL Lab meter, just to find out how loud it goes, just for the hell of it! http://spllabusa.com/us/products/bas...ass-meter.html

Soundproofing 1khz and up is easy as it only takes 3-4 layers of drywall or OSB to protect up to THX level (or higher) and in a quiet road/property/area will easily achieve -10 to 0db noisefloor (ignoring HVAC design);
but try soundproofing 30hz @ 130db+... from the rest of the house, it is significantly more difficult and costly, especially for a room that size!
It takes about 8-12inches of cement on all 6 sides; and possibly making it underground too; no easy task!

I bet the only time you can take all those 24's and open them up wide is when the wife is out shopping etc...
I couldn't imagine that she would "actually" let you pound them at even 1/4th of their full potential, at least if she is in the same room or even within 300ft of it.

Unless of course you are single or freshly divorced, in which case... carry on bassing it up!!!
Scott Simonian likes this.

Last edited by BassThatHz; 08-12-2016 at 04:16 PM.
post #73 of 187 Old 08-12-2016, 04:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I mean consider this, I have about half the subwoofer displacement you do and a similar amount of watts (~60-120kW).
My theater is also room-in-room with 12inches of drywall/OSB/lumber soundproofing.

At only half-power I can shake all the homes around me for 2-400ft, and my theater is a dedicated building that is 75ft away from my main-house; and that is STILL NOT enough soundproofing nor air-gap to stop even that much bass.
I've already had the cops visit me twice in just 3 years for excessive bass noises/music/movies.

I could only imagine how loud those 24's would go if you opened them wide.

I should have bought a 50-100acre property instead... oh well, time to sell I suppose!

Last edited by BassThatHz; 08-12-2016 at 04:14 PM.
post #74 of 187 Old 08-12-2016, 06:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 662 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Awe inspiring......got to admire an individual who know what he/she wants, does his/her research, harnesses all the required expertise, the talent and orchestrates an extraordinary end result.

Sure cosmetic & aesthetic tastes will vary among us, but one cannot deny the perfection you and your team have achieved, in the visual & audio area.

Congratulations!

A truly amazing result.....makes me wonder about the other endeavors in your life!!

May the success of a Nation be judged not by its collective wealth nor by its power, but by the contentment of its people.
Hiran J Wijeyesekera - 1985.
post #75 of 187 Old 08-12-2016, 06:46 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 61
When I'm enjoying a good movie with great cinematography, I often wonder what the makers of the film have for their own personal viewings.

Yours is simply awe inspiring Rob and the showcase lighting of the speakers is the cherry on top. Thanks so much for sharing it with us.
post #76 of 187 Old 08-12-2016, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBuger View Post
Absolutely amazing theater!! I'm in Awe! So the 24's under your seat, do they pretty much give you the effect that you were wanting? I'm a huge fan of having a driver very close to me as well, but have never experienced one under the seat, only right behind.
Thanks so much! The subs under the seat pretty much duplicate what I felt when I had that huge Snell behind my couch. I actually kinda wished I had put more subs under more of the seats, it's that effective. That said, no one in my theater feels sub-deprived!

-Rob
SBuger and oneeyeblind like this.
post #77 of 187 Old 08-12-2016, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
Besides the technical features, this is the most beautiful private theater I've ever seen... by a long shot. It just hits all the subtly elegant points from beautiful woodwork to plain walls to colors. The only comment I'd make. The only comment I'd make... is that you need a sofa in the money spot. I love snuggling with my wife and my dog while watching a movie. It's one of the great advantages of a private theater along with having wine, beer, pee breaks, and clean floors... being able to curl up with your loved ones for a movie is the best!
Thanks! That's so nice to hear...

I actually did consider a sofa (or at least a love seat). My brother has a very nice theater with a long comfortable couch, so I know how nice that can be. But I guess I watch movies a little differently than how you describe... I love snuggling with my wife too, but not during movies. Just personal preference...

-Rob

Rob Hahn Theater build

An Evening With Rob Hahn
oneeyeblind likes this.
post #78 of 187 Old 08-12-2016, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassThatHz View Post
Not just theater of the month. This is the best overall theater I've ever seen in "my entire life"... thus far. DAMN SON!
If I had $2-400k to spend on a single room, I'd probably do something similar...

The only flaw that I can see, is the lack of soundproofing to prevent all those subwoofers from being heard on the other side of the wall or house, or maybe even the other side of the country!
I wouldn't be surprized if this system reaches over 130db above 40hz, easily...
You should buy a SPL Lab meter, just to find out how loud it goes, just for the hell of it! http://spllabusa.com/us/products/bas...ass-meter.html

Soundproofing 1khz and up is easy as it only takes 3-4 layers of drywall or OSB to protect up to THX level (or higher) and in a quiet road/property/area will easily achieve -10 to 0db noisefloor (ignoring HVAC design);
but try soundproofing 30hz @ 130db+... from the rest of the house, it is significantly more difficult and costly, especially for a room that size!
It takes about 8-12inches of cement on all 6 sides; and possibly making it underground too; no easy task!

I bet the only time you can take all those 24's and open them up wide is when the wife is out shopping etc...
I couldn't imagine that she would "actually" let you pound them at even 1/4th of their full potential, at least if she is in the same room or even within 300ft of it.

Unless of course you are single or freshly divorced, in which case... carry on bassing it up!!!
Well actually, one of my mandates was that the sound from the theater could not be heard in our bedroom, when played at reference levels. I told Keith "I want to watch "Apocalypse Now" at 1am and not wake up my wife." Keith designed the theater at the get-go with this soundproofing directive. Details of how this was accomplished is complex - when I get time, I'll detail in my theater build thread how the room was constructed.

At many stages during construction, KYD measured SPL levels in our bedroom to make sure we were hitting our target. You're right that it's very difficult to keep low frequency sound from permeating certain areas outside the theater, but I can tell you that I played "Gravity" at full reference levels at 2am, and my wife didn't hear a thing. No divorce necessary!

-Rob

Rob Hahn Theater build

An Evening With Rob Hahn
OzHDHT, dgage, oneeyeblind and 1 others like this.

Last edited by Rob Hahn; 08-12-2016 at 11:41 PM.
post #79 of 187 Old 08-13-2016, 05:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well actually, one of my mandates was that the sound from the theater could not be heard in our bedroom, when played at reference levels.

At many stages during construction, KYD measured SPL levels in our bedroom to make sure we were hitting our target. You're right that it's very difficult to keep low frequency sound from permeating certain areas outside the theater, but I can tell you that I played "Gravity" at full reference levels at 2am, and my wife didn't hear a thing. No divorce necessary!
Reference level is a lot more reasonable than 130db or full-blast since the average movie is closer to 50-95db of bass on-average, with only a few seconds/minutes per 2hour movie where it goes to 115db, and the treble is 10db lower than that for both peak and average...

I only have two normal 150lbs exterior solid-core doors, and that alone blocks out all the mids and treble from >200hz and up to Reference levels.
I'm sure your 3inch thick 400lbs doors are sufficient.

I was thinking of adding another 90lbs of drywall to the inner door to increase the soundproofing a little bit more.
They are definitely the weakest link in my wall structure.

Blocking out highly compressed Dubstep at a continuous-130db FULL TILT for 4-10minutes is a whole nother level of soundproofing required.
I've only seen a few theaters built that are actually all-cement. JapanDave being one of the more notorious builds of such.

Usually you only see it done for anechoic chambers where they are trying to reach -20db level and desire to block out airplanes, helicopters, trains and nearby freeways/main roads...

A 48x96x12 block of cement is a LOT more expensive than a 48x96 sheet of drywall/OSB; and a LOT HARDER to work with!!!
and THAT is probably why such builds are so rare.

I looked into it when I was initial contemplating my V1.0 Theater, and it just simply wasn't in the budget. It would have added an extra $30g's to the total cost of the room: in material, excavation and wages. I was converting a garden shop into a theater, and jackhammering out the existing 18inch thick pad to dig down 20ft just simply wasn't feesable. If it was an empty lot and not near a river flood plain, I would have done it...
oneeyeblind likes this.

Last edited by BassThatHz; 08-13-2016 at 05:44 AM.
post #80 of 187 Old 08-13-2016, 09:35 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I am speechless

I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered.

My life is my own.
post #81 of 187 Old 08-13-2016, 02:23 PM
Deep Sea Sound

Mentioned: 184 Post(s)
Quoted: 1670 Post(s)
Liked: 1496
Quote:
Thank you so much! We're all pretty exhausted, but definitely exhilarated. My son-in-law had never seen "The Exorcist," so what a treat it was to show it to him on a large screen with really good sound. This is one of the main reasons I wanted to build this theater, to turn people on to movies they've never seen (or never seen properly). It's really thrilling!

(The guy that was the Director of Photography on "The Exorcist," Owen Roizman, ASC, I worked with for many years as his first assistant cameraman, then his Camera Operator, before I moved up to a DP - He told me so many great stories about making that film)...

Thanks for the kind words...

-Rob

Rob Hahn Theater build

An Evening With Rob Hahn
Rob, first I want to echo some of the other posts in that your theater is absolutely PHENOMENAL and I could add another 10 adjectives that still wouldn't do your theater justice. As a manufacturer of 24" subwoofers, I know what 2 and 4 can do in even a decent size room so wow, that must be one heck of a system to EXPERIENCE.

One request, especially with some of your movie connections, can you get some of the Hollywood sound engineers to experience your system? There are some great movies out there in terms of audio but there are also recent releases with content filtered below 20 Hz or clipped signals or limited dynamic range. I really wish more of those responsible for audio in Hollywood knew there were home theaters like yours and many other AVSers that really deserve better audio.

EDIT: And with that in mind, I was thinking you should give the Lone Survivor Helicopter scene (between scene 3 & 4) a shot as it has ~6 Hz strong output (for about a minute) and you are definitely one that could reproduce it at almost any volume you want. But also in keeping with my previous statement about audio engineers, I suggest most test this scene with caution since that 6 Hz pseudo-sine wave is about 10 dB hot compared to the rest of the audio. Almost like the audio engineers didn't even know it was there or if they did, they didn't care since they must not think anyone capable of reproducing content that low. Well, every home theater I've measured my Mariana 24s in didn't start rolling off until 7 Hz and the last theater I dropped off a single 24 to didn't start rolling off until 6 Hz. So at least a portion of the AVS community can most definitely reproduce content below 10 Hz with authority with you obviously being our leader in output.
16hz lover and oneeyeblind like this.

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound
"You don't listen to our subs, you EXPERIENCE them!"

Last edited by dgage; 08-13-2016 at 07:47 PM.
post #82 of 187 Old 08-15-2016, 06:27 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1676 Post(s)
Liked: 1013
I've said it before in another thread, but hands down, the best home theater of any I've ever seen, read about, fantasized about, etc.

Just a reference job that has no equals!!!

Just an incredible commitment to excellence!!

Goodbye to a great audio and video genius and writer... JOHN GANNON. I enjoyed your friendship, wit and a nice long run we took around Indianapolis at CEDIA years back... and for buying my Runco 980 Ultra years back... you saved my ass! Rest in peace.
post #83 of 187 Old 08-15-2016, 07:41 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Truly unbelievable. Congratulations, Rob

Clearly I need to win Powerball.
post #84 of 187 Old 08-15-2016, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Wow, my jaw dropped. Amazing!
post #85 of 187 Old 08-15-2016, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post
Rob, first I want to echo some of the other posts in that your theater is absolutely PHENOMENAL and I could add another 10 adjectives that still wouldn't do your theater justice. As a manufacturer of 24" subwoofers, I know what 2 and 4 can do in even a decent size room so wow, that must be one heck of a system to EXPERIENCE.

One request, especially with some of your movie connections, can you get some of the Hollywood sound engineers to experience your system? There are some great movies out there in terms of audio but there are also recent releases with content filtered below 20 Hz or clipped signals or limited dynamic range. I really wish more of those responsible for audio in Hollywood knew there were home theaters like yours and many other AVSers that really deserve better audio.

EDIT: And with that in mind, I was thinking you should give the Lone Survivor Helicopter scene (between scene 3 & 4) a shot as it has ~6 Hz strong output (for about a minute) and you are definitely one that could reproduce it at almost any volume you want. But also in keeping with my previous statement about audio engineers, I suggest most test this scene with caution since that 6 Hz pseudo-sine wave is about 10 dB hot compared to the rest of the audio. Almost like the audio engineers didn't even know it was there or if they did, they didn't care since they must not think anyone capable of reproducing content that low. Well, every home theater I've measured my Mariana 24s in didn't start rolling off until 7 Hz and the last theater I dropped off a single 24 to didn't start rolling off until 6 Hz. So at least a portion of the AVS community can most definitely reproduce content below 10 Hz with authority with you obviously being our leader in output.
Yeah, the subwoofer performance is pretty amazing. I visited another theater yesterday (a high end store) using Meyer speakers. It sounded very nice, but I've been so used to the Ubers that being in a room without them - well, I really missed them!

I would love to have some sound engineers visit - but I've been retired for a while now though & don't live anywhere near Hollywood, so the likelihood of that happening is small.

I had seen Lone Survivor before my theater was finished (on a smaller screen), so I hadn't thought to watch it again anytime soon (though I liked it a lot) - thanks for the tip. I'd like to see it again anyway...

Rob Hahn Theater build

An Evening With Rob Hahn
Mfusick and 16hz lover like this.
post #86 of 187 Old 08-15-2016, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post
I've said it before in another thread, but hands down, the best home theater of any I've ever seen, read about, fantasized about, etc.

Just a reference job that has no equals!!!

Just an incredible commitment to excellence!!
Thanks Jeff! I hope one day you can come for a visit!!

-Rob

Rob Hahn Theater build

An Evening With Rob Hahn
post #87 of 187 Old 08-15-2016, 08:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Congrats again on a superb accomplishment. All I can do is echo what others have said about it.

It's funny that one can't really appreciate how large the room is until you see a familiar object to give things perspective. When you see the guys on the scaffold you really understand the scale of the room. Similarly, the pic of the subs would be even more awesome if a person was sitting next to the subs. I mean c'mon those are 24 inchers! In that massive room they look like everyday subs, but I know they aren't, lol.

I really hope you post some pics/description of your audio room too.

Design by Rives...dollars by The Bogg

Click for my build thread
post #88 of 187 Old 08-17-2016, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassThatHz View Post

Soundproofing 1khz and up is easy as it only takes 3-4 layers of drywall or OSB to I bet the only time you can take all those 24's and open them up wide is when the wife is out shopping etc...
BassThatHz,

I asked Keith to give a more detailed response. We took a lot of care to soundproof the theater so that my wife wouldn't be woken up in the middle of the night. The pictures I uploaded don't show the whole story. Anyway, I hope this will be interesting:

Keith Yates:

We start the design of an effective wall, ceiling or other barrier by creating a target Transmission Loss (TL) graph that quantifies how many decibels of TL are needed at what frequencies. To create that TL graph, we ask yourselves two straightforward questions:
1. How LOUD should we assume it’ll be in the source room (the Theater) when the system is being “exercised” and
2. How QUIET do we need it to be in the receiving room (the Master Bedroom in this case).
We get your target TL curve simply by subtracting the decibel values in #2 from those in #1.

Q1: How LOUD in the Theater?

UberSpec:
KYD’s spec for the subwoofer element in the Hahn Theater was based on the premise that the installed system should be capable of linearly reproducing recorded LFE content throughout the 10-80Hz range at 120dB at all 15 seats. That’s an ambitious goal for a room whose internal volume is >10,000 cubic feet. (It’s not much of a challenge to get high dB results at low frequencies in much smaller rooms.) In this case, “linearly” means steady-state (not just peaks), free of audible distortion (generally agreed to be <10% total harmonic distortion in the subwoofer range), with no audible or measurable signs of power compression or non-linear artifacts (port chuffing, driver noises, etc.). I also wanted “useful” response down to 8Hz, which brings me to…

Reality Check: The Hearing Threshold:
It’s helpful to keep in mind that getting a subwoofer to play down to, say, 2Hz may make for interesting conversation among fellow audiophiles, but if the maximum reproduced level is below 120dB, it’s inaudible to persons of normal hearing. Per Moller and Pedersen, 2004, the hearing thresholds are:

UberSetup:
Two of my acoustic engineers, Andrew and Luke, assisted by Kyle and Mike, ran in-situ tests just after installation of the custom UberSub system using calibrated Bruel&Kjaer (B&K), G.R.A.S., Larson Davis and Earthworks microphones feeding B&K and Larson-Davis sound level meters, an Audiomatica CLIO sound measurement system, and various sound analysis software packages from B&K, LDL, and AFMG.

UberResults:
During the August 2015 site visit the team verified that we’d handily met the 120dB design objective at 10Hz and above. In all cases the THD was <3% fo This result was expected, as we’d done extensive finite element (FEA) analysis during the design phase, and room gain measurements during White Box testing many months prior to the UberSubs being installed.

Q2: How QUIET does it need to be in the Master Bedroom, 20 feet away?

While the Theater was in full cry we wanted levels at the Master Bedroom, about 20 feet away, to be below the Sleep Disturbance threshold. Sleep Disturbance is a complex subject involving number of occurrences in a night, level above background, and other factors beyond the scope of the discussion here. But, as a useful approximation, the World Health Organization “Night Noise Guidelines 2009” specifies a 42dB LAmax threshold for sleep disturbance where the disturbed party is woken up at night.

Probably obvious here, but we didn’t use a Sound Transmission Class (STC) specification for this purpose, as STC doesn’t specify data below the 100Hz third-octave band, i.e. it’s pretty much a useless metric when dealing with subwoofer-generated sound transmission into nearby areas.

Insulation Measurement Standard:
For the Hahn project, our low frequency measurements were conducted according to the British Standards Institute (BSI) standard BS EN ISO 16283-1:2014 (Acoustics – Field Measurement of Sound Insulation in Buildings and of Building Elements). This standard establishes a method for low-frequency SPL measurement down to 50Hz. For the purposes of our testing, the frequency range was extended down to 12.5Hz.

Equipment and Technique:
Measurement equipment consisted of a Larson-Davis Labs (LDL) Model 824 Real Time Analyzer equipped with a G.R.A.S. 40AN ½-inch low-frequency microphone. The measurement system was calibrated with a LDL CAD200 acoustic calibrator before testing. The measurement setup meets all pertinent requirements of the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) for Type 1 (precision) sound measurement systems. Other equipment used in the measurements included pink noise source and audio amplifier with dodecahedron loudspeaker [seen in some of Rob’s photos in this thread], along with the Theater UberSubs to energize the room throughout the frequency range of interest.

One-third octave band sound pressure levels were measured within the source (Theater) and receiving (Master Bedroom) rooms from 12.5Hz to 8000Hz. Measurements were conducted using a manually-scanned microphone with a room averaging time of approximately 60 seconds. Four corner measurements were also conducted using a stationary microphone with an averaging time of 60 seconds.

Testing:
The Theater to Master Bedroom testing was conducted by calculating the overall noise reduction provided by the building construction between the Theater and Master Bedroom. There are two primary wall construction types and a distance of approximately 20 feet separating the two spaces. Five (5) permanent sound-gasketed doors were installed at the time of testing. The overall noise reduction provided by this intervening construction was calculated as third-octave noise reduction (NR).

The noise reduction (NR) from 12.5Hz to about 50Hz was in the 45 dB range; above that, noise from the theater failed to exceed the ambient noise level in the master bedroom, so the actual NR at 63Hz-8000Hz is substantially higher than reported.

Upshot:
As the measurements show, with the LFE energized to the Dolby/THX Reference Level of 115dB (steady state, not just peak) by the UberSub system, the level in the Master Bedroom barely 20 feet away would read 33 dB(A), and is well below the Sleep Disturbance threshold.

=========

Hope this helps. In the few days, I'll upload our final NCB rating graph...

-Rob

Rob Hahn Theater build

An Evening With Rob Hahn
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-08-17 at 5.20.31 PM.png
Views:	849
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	1608145   Click image for larger version

Name:	image002.jpg
Views:	885
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	1608153  
DIY Guy, dgage and 16hz lover like this.
post #89 of 187 Old 08-19-2016, 09:17 AM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 2699
Congrats!
post #90 of 187 Old 08-19-2016, 01:32 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Thanks for all the additional charts and graphs, it just about sets the new standard from here on out.

Earth: The Insane Asylum of the Universe, nowhere else could things be this screwed up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Community News & Polls

Tags
Home Theater Of The Month

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page