HT of the Month: The Bigham Theater - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 115Likes

post #31 of 84 Old 10-17-2016, 07:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Yes, I have been looking a black rugs online but haven't found "the one". At some point I will change the carpet out and paint the doors.

Thank you again for the suggestions and kind words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post
Really well done theater. I bet it sounds and looks great. Congratulations!

We all bring our own criteria to evaluating HTs, and from my own my first thought was "All black! Great....soooo close...but paint that door and do the rug darker!"

Given the lengths you've gone for a non-reflective room, do you have plans for a darker rug at some point?

If darker carpet isn't in the cards, or a long way off, you could (if you care to) do what others have done: lay down some black velvet
in front of the screen. If you make it neat, it can actually look nice, even if temporary.

I designed my home theater with a black velvet portion beneath the screen and it creates a nice little stage effect, a black box surrounding the screen, which tends to visually integrate the speakers with the screen area better. FWIW...
R Harkness, imagic and jjackkrash like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 84 Old 10-17-2016, 07:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1168 Post(s)
Liked: 1139
Very nice space! Congrats on HTOTM

It is nice to see more down to earth theaters. I believe when you stay focused on performance for the dollar, you dont have to spend a ton of money to get great results.
imagic and Bigham16 like this.

------------------------------------------------------------
That's not science! - Cyborg

FOR SALE: nothing at the moment

Rivers Edge Theater
post #33 of 84 Old 10-17-2016, 07:57 AM
Advanced Member

Thank you! No, I'm usually between -15 and -10 when watching movies. I have run it a reference but only when I'm showing off to my friends.

But with music, I will go as loud as I can until someone in the house tells me to turn it down

Quote:
Originally Posted by tezster View Post
Wonderful theater

Do you typically watch movies at or near reference levels?
rms8, taxman48 and imagic like this.

post #34 of 84 Old 10-17-2016, 09:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Great room Dusty,

"Moderate" would not a word I would use to describe your room. That is way better than I could ever hope to do with my room. Great job. What does the Wife think of the room?
Bigham16 and jjackkrash like this.
post #35 of 84 Old 10-17-2016, 09:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Dusty, congrats on your great HT and on getting selected for the monthly. My aspirational goals are similar to what you have, so I'm bookmarking this (and printing a copy, just in case) so I can keep it all in mind!

I can tell from your selections that you have a very good eye for optimizing quality and value, and so I will use your setup as a guide for my own HT. My HT is already similar in so many ways to yours. And we're likewise a family of 4 and love our movie nights! We have a black leather sofa, though I do kinda wish we had your seating (love seat and two singles), but it works well.

I'm glad to see your subs. Are you running 2 or 4 of the PB12-plus? The article says 2, but I thought the video mentioned 4. I have the same sub (in a slightly larger room) and am about to (finally) get another so I can have duals. (Just waiting on one of SVS's outlet deals!) I am glad to see confirmation that my sub can work in a system like yours.

Enjoy your movie nights! And your music! Thanks for sharing.
Bigham16 likes this.
post #36 of 84 Old 10-17-2016, 09:41 AM
Advanced Member

Thank you!! She likes watching movies but I get a ton of eye rolls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklightning View Post
Great room Dusty,

"Moderate" would not a word I would use to describe your room. That is way better than I could ever hope to do with my room. Great job. What does the Wife think of the room?
post #37 of 84 Old 10-17-2016, 09:42 AM
Advanced Member

Thank you very much!! Yes, I have just two SVS subs and they are in the back corners. Please let me know if you have any other questions and would be happy to talk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfaKMan View Post
Dusty, congrats on your great HT and on getting selected for the monthly. My aspirational goals are similar to what you have, so I'm bookmarking this (and printing a copy, just in case) so I can keep it all in mind!

I can tell from your selections that you have a very good eye for optimizing quality and value, and so I will use your setup as a guide for my own HT. My HT is already similar in so many ways to yours. And we're likewise a family of 4 and love our movie nights! We have a black leather sofa, though I do kinda wish we had your seating (love seat and two singles), but it works well.

I'm glad to see your subs. Are you running 2 or 4 of the PB12-plus? The article says 2, but I thought the video mentioned 4. I have the same sub (in a slightly larger room) and am about to (finally) get another so I can have duals. (Just waiting on one of SVS's outlet deals!) I am glad to see confirmation that my sub can work in a system like yours.

Enjoy your movie nights! And your music! Thanks for sharing.
HalfaKMan likes this.
post #38 of 84 Old 10-17-2016, 09:57 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman61405 View Post
looks awesome!! I'm sure it sounds amazing too. its so refreshing to see these theaters that don't cost $$$$$$. We need more modest theaters for home theater of the month IMO.
Totally Agree, Last month HTM was not true 'HTM', probably need to create category for high end theaters and to be called 'Theater in Home' or 'Home in Theater'
AllenA07 and Bigham16 like this.

Geek Cinephile
post #39 of 84 Old 10-17-2016, 11:05 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Fantastic job optimizing your space. I'm doing something similar in a 13' wide by 7' high basement space and using Goldenear Triton Ones for the L, C & R behind an AT screen.

How are you using the built in subs of the Triton Ones? With LFE input? With the other SVS subs, I imagine you have a great low end.

Thx
Kenreau
Bigham16 likes this.

Last edited by kenreau; 10-17-2016 at 11:15 AM.
post #40 of 84 Old 10-17-2016, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

Thank you! I cross the T1's at 60hz and have their sub dials at 11 o'clock. This gave me the best results after countless testing different combinations in my room. Good luck with your room and please let me know how I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenreau View Post
Fantastic job optimizing your space. I'm doing something similar in a 13' wide by 7' high basement space and using Goldenear Triton Ones for the L, C & R behind an AT screen.

How are you using the built in subs of the Triton Ones? With LFE input? With the other SVS subs, I imagine you have a great low end.

Thx
Kenreau
post #41 of 84 Old 10-17-2016, 12:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post
As with most AV enthusiasts, Dusty has bought and sold lots of gear over the last 10 years. Taking that into account, he estimates his total investment during that decade—not counting construction of his current house with its integrated media room—to be less than $20,000.
I did a quick MSRP calculation on the equipment in this room (excluding cables) and found costs to surpass $40K. How was the >$20k determined (steep discounts, buy used, income/profit from previous sales, etc..)?

Spoiler!
post #42 of 84 Old 10-17-2016, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Looks really cool! I'm in the Dallas area as well and have a room similar to yours. Quick question... what type of center channel speaker stand is that? I'm looking to get one for my Klipsch center speaker.

And I agree with others who say more "attainable" home theaters need to be featured like this one. Most of us can't afford to spend the price of a BMW on a projector.
Bigham16 and dRwOOD73 like this.

Last edited by Dirk504; 10-17-2016 at 01:37 PM.
post #43 of 84 Old 10-17-2016, 01:59 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 185 Post(s)
Quoted: 5972 Post(s)
Liked: 5035
Congrats @Bigham16 on winning HToM! Nice theater.

Wow! A lotta GoldenEar gear in there....

Sponsored by @imagic and AVS Forum.
Bigham16 likes this.
post #44 of 84 Old 10-17-2016, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

Yes, that would be the price if all was MSPR but I didn't pay those prices. Thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thxman View Post
I did a quick MSRP calculation on the equipment in this room
[/SPOILER]
bombertodd likes this.
post #45 of 84 Old 10-17-2016, 02:06 PM
Advanced Member

LOL!! I would seem that way. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post
Congrats @Bigham16 on winning HToM! Nice theater.

Wow! A lotta GoldenEar gear in there....

Sponsored by @imagic and AVS Forum.
post #46 of 84 Old 10-17-2016, 02:09 PM
Advanced Member

Thank you!! It's the Sanus Foundations Natural Series Center Channel Speaker Stand but i don't remember if it's the 16" or 18".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk504 View Post
Looks really cool! I'm in the Dallas area as well and have a room similar to yours. Quick question... what type of center channel speaker stand is that? I'm looking to get one for my Klipsch center speaker.

And I agree with others who say more "attainable" home theaters need to be featured like this one. Most of us can't afford to spend the price of a BMW on a projector.
Dirk504 likes this.
post #47 of 84 Old 10-17-2016, 03:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Congrats on HTOM - very nice space! Looks like a great room to enjoy movies with the family for many years.

/
Bigham16 likes this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Schmidt Haus Theater - WIP (or not) since 2010
post #48 of 84 Old 10-17-2016, 09:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Beautiful Job, Dustin I love the black theme, and I hope that you can explore the idea of a black velvet, shadow box for the front of the room. I did that to mine, and the results were astounding! On another note, when I watch the video of you guys talking, I was hearing a moderate amount of room reverb that the microphone was picking up. Is that what it sounds like in regular conversation in there, or was that a factor of just the video/sound recording itself? Anyway, I love it
Bigham16 likes this.
post #49 of 84 Old 10-17-2016, 09:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 618 Post(s)
Liked: 456
Great room. Nice to see something attainable but high performance as the Home Theater of the Month.
After listening to the interview I was going to comment that it sounds like more sound absorption might be useful, however your focus on music listening probably benefits from the reflection.
Enjoy.
Bigham16 likes this.
post #50 of 84 Old 10-17-2016, 11:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1620 Post(s)
Liked: 4370
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBMAN View Post
Beautiful Job, Dustin I love the black theme, and I hope that you can explore the idea of a black velvet, shadow box for the front of the room. I did that to mine, and the results were astounding! On another note, when I watch the video of you guys talking, I was hearing a moderate amount of room reverb that the microphone was picking up. Is that what it sounds like in regular conversation in there, or was that a factor of just the video/sound recording itself? Anyway, I love it
Actually, there was a problem with the audio recording that we didn't catch until it was too late; the audio in this video has been tweaked in post to compensate. The room sounds much better in person than it does on this recording.
KBMAN and Bigham16 like this.

Scott Wilkinson
Editor, AVS Forum
post #51 of 84 Old 10-18-2016, 05:09 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Great job Bigham16, congrats & well deserved..
Bigham16 likes this.

post #52 of 84 Old 10-18-2016, 05:17 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Cool

Quote:
I did a quick MSRP calculation on the equipment in this room (excluding cables) and found costs to surpass $40K. How was the >$20k determined (steep discounts, buy used, income/profit from previous sales, etc..)?

Spoiler!

<$20K, I saw that too and did the math. Maybe because his significant other visits this forum too.
brian6751 and Bigham16 like this.

"Every time I put the line in the water I said a Hail Mary and every time I said a Hail Mary I caught a fish." - Fredo
post #53 of 84 Old 10-18-2016, 05:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarcink View Post
<$20K, I saw that too and did the math. Maybe because his significant other visits this forum too.
thxman likes this.
post #54 of 84 Old 10-18-2016, 06:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1176 Post(s)
Liked: 1081
Bigham16
Congratulation for making it to the HT of the month, very well deserve

Budget wise, it is still lot of money (20K for you, and a little more for me since I deal with CDN$).
Like post #2 our room is very similar.
Your dimension of the room are little bit bigger.
Yours been a foot wider, and also wishing that mine would be 10ft High, instead of 8 and also wish to have the extra foot wide for the side.

Congrats and well done

Ray
Bigham16 likes this.
post #55 of 84 Old 10-18-2016, 07:12 AM
Advanced Member

Thank you!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post
Bigham16
Congratulation for making it to the HT of the month, very well deserve

Budget wise, it is still lot of money (20K for you, and a little more for me since I deal with CDN$).
Like post #2 our room is very similar.
Your dimension of the room are little bit bigger.
Yours been a foot wider, and also wishing that mine would be 10ft High, instead of 8 and also wish to have the extra foot wide for the side.

Congrats and well done

Ray
darthray likes this.
post #56 of 84 Old 10-18-2016, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Congrats Bigham16!! Very nice setup.

I'm new to the building HT process, but did you notice a big viewing difference going from Beige to all Black? Do you use any type of Bias lighting?

Also, I'm in the Dallas Area, would you mind PM your AV Dealer?
Bigham16 likes this.
post #57 of 84 Old 10-18-2016, 11:54 AM
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 276 Post(s)
Quoted: 6596 Post(s)
Liked: 11344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post
Actually, there was a problem with the audio recording that we didn't catch until it was too late; the audio in this video has been tweaked in post to compensate. The room sounds much better in person than it does on this recording.
The reverb in the audio was my fault folks, I accidentally had the X/Y mic on my Zoom H6 turned on, and what it picked up got added to the stereo mix, that was supposed to be strictly lavalier mics. The result was exaggerated reverb that is not an accurate reflection of that room's acoustics. My apologies for any confusion that may have caused.
Bigham16 likes this.

Mark Henninger, Senior Editor at AVS Forum
post #58 of 84 Old 10-18-2016, 12:31 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks, sliptool and just sent you a PM.

Yes, massive difference in contrast with the black vs beige.

The only lighting is from the dimmable sconces during movies and games. I do have a Haiku Fan (BigAssFans) in the room with an ap remote that I love, but only us when entering or leaving the room...or tweaking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliptool View Post
Congrats Bigham16!! Very nice setup.

I'm new to the building HT process, but did you notice a big viewing difference going from Beige to all Black? Do you use any type of Bias lighting?

Also, I'm in the Dallas Area, would you mind PM your AV Dealer?

Last edited by Bigham16; 10-18-2016 at 01:31 PM.
post #59 of 84 Old 10-19-2016, 08:10 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 6
First of all, let me say I love the use of your space and the equipment is top notch. The only question I have is about the description of the theater where is says your equipment cost was around 20k. Is this through trading or finding things on sale, because from my limited research the amps are 4k a piece and your Marantz is around 4k which puts just those 3 items at 12k. Just curious is all, because at first I got REAL excited about your room and the 20k number since it's really an impressive list of equipment.
post #60 of 84 Old 10-19-2016, 10:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinksmartpc View Post
Is this through trading or finding things on sale, because from my limited research the amps are 4k a piece and your Marantz is around 4k which puts just those 3 items at 12k. Just curious is all, because at first I got REAL excited about your room and the 20k number since it's really an impressive list of equipment.

Below is from above posts about the costs.

Quote:

Spoiler!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigham16 View Post
Yes, that would be the price if all was MSPR but I didn't pay those prices. Thanks!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarcink View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigham16 View Post
Bigham16 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Community News & Polls

Tags
Home Theater Of The Month

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page