post #1 of 1 Old 02-18-2005, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
An enterprising 'Trek' proposal
By MARISA GUTHRIE NEW YORK DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER Friday, February 18th, 2005
UPN's decision to cancel "Star Trek: Enterprise" at season's end has some Trekkies hot under their pointy ears. So much so, they're trying to raise to raise $32 million to keep the show going.

"Our goal is to get enough money to go to [series producer] Paramount and [UPN chief] Les Moonves and let them know that we love the show and we're willing to put our money where our mouth is," said Tim Brazeal, founder of the Save Enterprise and Trek United Web sites.

"If we can take them a check and say we've got the funds to pay for season five," Brazeal said, "we can eliminate any options that they might have to turn us down."

And if that doesn't work, they're lobbying the Sci-Fi Channel to rescue the series.

The fans took out an ad in The Los Angeles Times suggesting Sci-Fi was a "logical home" for the show, and asked fans to demonstrate their support at a rally next Thursday at Paramount. Brazeal said there is also a rally planned for next Thursday at UPN and Sci-Fi Channel's headquarters in New York.

"The demise of 'Enterprise' is a sad day for any fan of science-fiction television," a Sci-Fi Channel statement read, "We respect Paramount's decision to rest the 'Star Trek' franchise and look forward to its next chapter with anticipation."

Paramount is getting large amounts of mail on the matter each day, according to a source.

Brazeal said, his organization also has plans to lobby USA, TNT and Spike TV.

But some fans are resigned to the inevitable demise of "Enterprise."

"I am life-long fan," said Michelle Erica Green, who writes for trektoday.com. "I have very mixed feelings. I was anticipating this. The writing seemed to be on the wall from the studio. It seemed that UPN wasn't giving the show much of a chance."

Green attended her first "Star Trek" convention when she was 14. She founded "Voyager" star Kate Mulgrew's first official fan club. Her parents and grandparents are "Star Trek" fans, and her children, ages 8 and 10, have become aficionados.

"I'm definitely going to miss 'Enterprise,'" she said. "I think particularly in the last two years, it has gotten better. And for us, it's become a family show. I would not say it has been the best-written show. And I'm really attached to this group of characters."
Closed Thread Community News & Polls

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page