which remote is good for me ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 03-07-2008, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hey guys I need some help. I don't know which remote should I get.
this is the equipement I need to run:
tv: sharp lc52d82u
cable box: hdpvr explorer 8300
amp: yamaha htr 6060
dvd/r: samsung r160
hd-dvd player: toshiba hd-a30
blu-ray player/gaming: sony ps3 80 go (with dyno bluwave IR remote)
cd player: sony cdp-ce215
dvd player: toshiba sd-430v
home automation: 14 X10 modules (4 appliances and 10 dimmers) 4 are run via IR-543 and 10 are run via RF (palm & key chain remotes)
I actually own a logitech harmony 890 RF and I hate the look and keys location so since I bought it 3 weeks ago I still can return it. is there a way to control all my X10 modules via RF with a universal remote ? (instead of splitting it in 2: zone A 4 IR & zone B 10 RF)
I was going to return my 890 and wait for an RF version of the harmony one but I would still have to split my X10 modules in 2...
anyone can give me some ideas ?
it would be greatly appreciated.

Gui.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-07-2008, 08:58 AM

Philips Pronto TSU9600. It's pricey, but it supports RF (via WiFi) and will do all you need it to, plus it's completely flexible regarding programing. It's got a full VGA (640x480) color LCD touchscreen, can play music, etc.

$300 HDMI cables? P.T. Barnum would have been proud.
post #3 of 12 Old 03-07-2008, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

>>> it supports RF (via WiFi)

what the heck is WiFi ?
post #4 of 12 Old 03-07-2008, 09:15 AM

WiFi is 802.11g--the same thing used by PCs for wireless connections.

post #5 of 12 Old 03-07-2008, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

would it make my X10 modules works directly RF?
how much is it and is it available in canada? (quebec city)
does it need a separate RF exender?
post #6 of 12 Old 03-07-2008, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_qc View Post

would it make my X10 modules works directly RF?
how much is it and is it available in canada? (quebec city)
does it need a separate RF exender?

No, it won't make your X10 modules work directly with RF. You need an X10 IR-543 to control the X10 modules via IR and an IR-543 plus a RFX9400 or RFX9600 to control them via RF.

post #7 of 12 Old 03-07-2008, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

so it would be about 1200$ for the remote and extender?
does it have a specific WiFi usb key to play music from my computer?
I know I ask many questions but I'm kinda new with advanced remotes...
post #8 of 12 Old 03-07-2008, 12:44 PM

Before you go plunking down $1200 on a remote you most likely won't be able to program without many, many hours of learning the software, consider some other options. Also think of how you'll use the remote. Are you a channel surfer? If so, a touchscreen remote could be the wrong choice. For less money you can get yourself an MX-900 from URC with an mrf-300 (RF base station) and have it professionally programmed to work properly.

I started out with a Pronto TSU1000 many years ago (my first real universal remote), only to learn that I did not want to use 2 hands to operate my remote. I also did not want to have to look at the remote every time I wanted to execute a command. I then stepped into the MX line from URC, starting with the 500 and moving to the 800, 850, and now the 900. I, along with my wife(a.k.a.-test subject) love this remote. I/we have it controlling 12 components and 4 zones along with lighting in 3 areas (X-10).

Over the years, I have owned, programmed or tested the following remotes:
URC- MX-500/700/800/900/950/3000
Harmony- 659/520/720/880/1000
Pronto- TSU-1000/2000/3000/neo/6000

Overall, I prefer the MX over Harmony and Pronto remotes. That's not to say that a Harmony or a Pronto wouldn't be the right choice for you. I guess what it boils down to is personal preference, along with how the remote will be used. I recommend doing some leg work and visiting some stores where you can demo different remotes. It can save you a lot of hassle in the long run. And again, the preference for the MX's from URC is just my opinion. All 3 manufacturers (URC/Pronto/Harmony) make remotes which have the ability to control all your gear, and most likely do what you want them to do. So my advice is to do some "hands on" reasearch.

Good luck

"People are very open-minded about new things -- as long as they're exactly like the old ones"
Kettering
post #9 of 12 Old 03-07-2008, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddielives View Post

Before you go plunking down $1200 on a remote you most likely won't be able to program without many, many hours of learning the software, consider some other options.

The difficulty of programming remotes such as the Pronto is often greatly overblown, especially by dealers who are looking to sell programming services. "Programming" is somewhat of a misnomer here anyway as it's not like writing code in a computer programming language--it's more like configuring buttons and moving pre-defined graphics around. It took me all of 30 minutes to learn the programming tools for the Pronto series and the URC MX series, and all of about 2 hours to create a usable configuration for my 9600.

If you have any doubt about your ability to program the TSU9600, go to the Philips website (www.pronto.philips.com) and download ProntoEdit Pro--it's a free download--and give it a try. The program comes with several template configurations that are easily customized for your needs.

Unfortunately, the same is not true of the MX-series editing software. URC has seen fit to only provide the software to owners who have bought the remote from an authorized dealer--it's not a freely available download--so you don't get a chance to try before you buy.

post #10 of 12 Old 03-07-2008, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

>>> I actually own a logitech harmony 890 RF and I hate the look and keys location so since I bought it 3 weeks ago I still can return it. I was going to return my 890 and wait for an RF version of the harmony one.

the harmony one look sharp and have a major improvement in keys location compare to the previous 880. I like hard buttons better than touch screen when playing with volume, channels, etc. I'd like to spend +/- 500$ on a decent remote but infortunately the harmony one is only IR. should I just wait for the replacement model for the 890? I need RF.

thanks for your help.
post #11 of 12 Old 03-07-2008, 11:06 PM
vvv

I can't say enough about the URC MX-900. You don't get the graphics or a color screen but the RF is awesome and the remote is very powerful. Harmony is fine if you are not a tweaker or don't want the customization. I believe URC spits the difference between Harmony and Pronto when it comes to customization.
post #12 of 12 Old 03-08-2008, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvv View Post

I can't say enough about the URC MX-900. You don't get the graphics or a color screen but the RF is awesome and the remote is very powerful. Harmony is fine if you are not a tweaker or don't want the customization. I believe URC spits the difference between Harmony and Pronto when it comes to customization.

well I'm am now looking toward the MX-980 and the MRF-260 there's no touch screen but I almost like that better. I'm just not sure if is a good choice. I would have some macros involving X-10 lighting and appliance eg: watch a hd-dvd > turn the tv on switch imputs > turn the receiver on switch imputs > turn the hd-dvd on open the drawer > turns all lights off. you seems to know about MX product is the 980 a good pick for me?
Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page