QAM Channel Capability - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 03-15-2008, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'll preface with "I am a cheapskate."
That said, I am looking for a universal remote control that will tune the QAM channels like 68.2, 88.7, etc.

I have been told that the Logitec Harmony line has this capability. I'd rather NOT spend over $100 primarily because I do not trust Comcast and they seem to be encryting one station after another, even the ones I am payying for, in the interest of forcing people to rent their STB's for an exaggerated price, ESPECIALLY if you want digital output. If they convert EVERYTHING away from digital unencrypted QAM, then an expensive Logitec becomes nothing but an expensive PAPERWEIGHT for me.

First off, I tried the EASY way and noticed that all the SONY's had a period on the bottom left of their number pads...good first sign. Alas, that period (decimal point) is NOT for the TV function (DVD, I think.) I returned it.
None of the others I saw seemed even to HAVE a period (decimal point.)

HAs ANYONE found the functionality I am looking for outside the Logitec Harmony line? Maybe something UP TO $50?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-15-2008, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I just saw this and it sounded odd so I just tried it. My sony and sony remote the 'period' works on the remote control. Like I can hit 3.1 and go to channel 3.1, etc. Don't know if this helps but anyway, the period works on my sony. Do you have the channel blocked out or something?
You know, the more I think about this any new remote has to handle period to directly access the digital channels.
post #3 of 6 Old 03-15-2008, 09:50 AM

I was thinking about buying the Universal Remote Control, Inc
rf-30, but I don't see a "dot" button on it. Does anyone know if this will work with a QAM tuner?
post #4 of 6 Old 03-15-2008, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zip2play View Post

I'll preface with "I am a cheapskate."
That said, I am looking for a universal remote control that will tune the QAM channels like 68.2, 88.7, etc.

I have been told that the Logitec Harmony line has this capability. I'd rather NOT spend over $100 primarily because I do not trust Comcast and they seem to be encryting one station after another, even the ones I am payying for, in the interest of forcing people to rent their STB's for an exaggerated price, ESPECIALLY if you want digital output. If they convert EVERYTHING away from digital unencrypted QAM, then an expensive Logitec becomes nothing but an expensive PAPERWEIGHT for me.

First off, I tried the EASY way and noticed that all the SONY's had a period on the bottom left of their number pads...good first sign. Alas, that period (decimal point) is NOT for the TV function (DVD, I think.) I returned it.
None of the others I saw seemed even to HAVE a period (decimal point.)

HAs ANYONE found the functionality I am looking for outside the Logitec Harmony line? Maybe something UP TO $50?

If your looking for a cheap way, get a cheap learning remote and learn the command from the tv remote. You'll probably want one with a button below the 7 button with a good label that you can map the command to (where the button is labeled -, +, *, .,+10, 100 or something like that instead of swap, tv/vcr, display, etc...). Should be tons of choices under $50 bucks.
post #5 of 6 Old 03-15-2008, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtrode View Post

I was thinking about buying the Universal Remote Control, Inc
rf-30, but I don't see a "dot" button on it. Does anyone know if this will work with a QAM tuner?

It's a learning remote. If the +10 button doesn't work as a "dot" for you after setting up your tv, you can learn the "dot" command from your tv remote.
post #6 of 6 Old 03-16-2008, 05:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So then,
Can I count on most "learning remotes" to be able to learn the functionality of the "dot?" I'll try one of the cheaper ones and hope for success. Thanx.

Quote:

rmalbers: I just saw this and it sounded odd so I just tried it. My sony and sony remote the 'period' works on the remote control. Like I can hit 3.1 and go to channel 3.1, etc.

Is that the remote that came with your SONY TV or a SONY UNIVERSAL REMOTE that comes as a 3 unit, 5 unit, 7 unit etc and is purchased separately (from $10 to $20.) It was these separate UNIVERSALS that I found did not work as QAM channel selectors.
Reply Remote Control Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page