If You Had My Money Which Remote Would You Buy??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 42 Old 05-06-2008, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am in the market for a remote and i like the best. I did not like the harmony 1000. Response time was deathly slow (i now here it could have been sped up). It just didn't arouse me.

I have heard the Universal Remote MX 3000 is pretty sweet?

What about this Pronto pup or Philips pronto or whatever it is called? is it in the same league with other touch screens.

What is the best fella's???

Here is the equipment it will need to reach out and touch:

Pioneer 60'' Kuro 150fd
PS3
XBOX 360
IPOD
NAD pre/amp
NAD amp
Comcast HD DVR cable box

How hard is it to make it control your lighting?

Thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 05-06-2008, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

post #3 of 42 Old 05-06-2008, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

Oh you sweet, slick remote. How I long to get my hands on you. Which one is for me? I need your help to know.
post #4 of 42 Old 05-06-2008, 05:29 PM

RTI T4 with a XP-8

Colorado Media Systems
Colorado Springs, CO
post #5 of 42 Old 05-06-2008, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you buddy. I will research it now.

Why this one???
post #6 of 42 Old 05-06-2008, 05:53 PM

Great flexibility, solid RF, expandable, can control just about anything (with a IR or RS232 port), 2-way communication (coming soon ), good support.

Downside: if you're a DIYer you can't get the programming software.

Colorado Media Systems
Colorado Springs, CO
post #7 of 42 Old 05-06-2008, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter

what's your second choice. one i can program...
post #8 of 42 Old 05-06-2008, 06:33 PM

I stopped selling Harmony for many reasons: Buttons fall off, internet required to porgram, funky software... I won't go on.

Past that, I sell a lot of Control4 as our entry level, but again, that's not a DIY solution. You may be stuck with Pronto if you want to go DIY.

Colorado Media Systems
Colorado Springs, CO
post #9 of 42 Old 05-06-2008, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter

?
post #10 of 42 Old 05-06-2008, 08:25 PM

Theres only one remote I would buy and have

MX 3000 but yet again not DIY.....

Any good reliable remote is going to be one you need to work with a custom installer / dealer. Prontos I think are OK havent messed with thim in years after they became unreliable piles of garbage and now some are more expensive then the top of the line MX-3000. Thats my reason for sticking with URC not to mention the new RF recivers they have out now are rock solid and everythign plays nice with eachother.
post #11 of 42 Old 05-06-2008, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

I do nto ened this thing to do anything but control by audio/visual and amybe the lighting in the room. Seems overkill to have a programmer do something that should be easy to do.

What is the best touch screen out there that is not custom programmed?
post #12 of 42 Old 05-06-2008, 09:05 PM

good luck in your search
post #13 of 42 Old 05-06-2008, 09:23 PM
Advanced Member

MX-3000 is user programmable.
Give it a shot. If you can't do it, hire a pro.

There is also a Philips Remote getting decent reviews.

This bloody Redcoat said I was a terrorist.

Somewhere along the way I become an Elitist who looks down on the
cheap bastards who call themselves my AV Hobbyist peers.
I am not prepared.
post #14 of 42 Old 05-06-2008, 09:26 PM

The MX-3000 is perhaps user programable, if you can get the software for it and understand what your doing as there is NO tutorial on how to use the software.

If you can find the software on that other website its going to be the old version. The remotes DONT come with the DISC anymore. only the USB cable.

Maby somone on here will give you a pirated copy but that wouldnt be a good idea. We go through a lot of trouble to be privileged dealers that can have the software. I do know of somone who has it and I can only wounder where he got it from...Perhaps a dealer friend but I have nothing good to say about that subject so I stop here.
post #15 of 42 Old 05-07-2008, 10:18 AM

I agree with everything Vic has said. I'll add that if you go buy the remote and try it yourself, can't handle it and then bring in a pro; expect to pay a higher rate than if he sold the unit to you. Why? He didn't make anything on the remote so he has to make it up somewhere. Remember, this is a living for him, not a hobby.

Also, don't expect him to warranty the remote, and expect that if there is a problem that you will be charged for every second that he spends troubleshooting.

Contrast that with someone who stands behind what he sells you.

People who want to do this themselves spend an enormus amount of time figuring out how to make one system work. A professional will save you time. If you don't value your time, the go for it. If your time is money (like mine) then hire a pro.

Colorado Media Systems
Colorado Springs, CO
post #16 of 42 Old 05-07-2008, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Well, if you like the best, there's always Crestron and AMX. But, if you want a DIY solution, a Pronto is probably your best best. You can download the software from the Philips website and see if you can handle the programming. There's also plenty of config files and graphics for the various Prontos over at Remote Central.

-Joe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #17 of 42 Old 05-07-2008, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
what's the big deal about programming the mx-3000? its not like your programming it in assembly - it has a nice, pretty gui. sure it may have bugs or quirks, but it is still a gui.

if you buy it from an authorized dealer (like surf remote control) they supply you the software. again, what is the issue?

the only value I see in paying someone to program a remote like the mx-3000 would be to make it pretty. I'm an engineer, not an artist. I can make it turn devices on and off just as well as a ci. It may just take me a little longer.
post #18 of 42 Old 05-07-2008, 08:34 PM
Advanced Member

I have programmed my own MX-3000, but I did go through a URC programming class (and I was also briefly training other installers how to program this remote). It's not impossible to get this remote up and running to run basic macros and control a system. The complexity comes in when you start to introduce variables and other advanced techniques to get the most out of the remote. If you're going to spend the money for an MX-3000, then you should get the most out of it. Otherwise, you can stick with a Pronto (of which I have owned two in the past).

My MX-3000 is the best remote I have ever owned. However, I spent many, many hours perfecting my program so that it would give me a near-Crestron level of performance. I have 16 lighting scenes programmed in, the ability to control three different DVD players (including selecting DVDs by pressing the correct cover art for my 400-disc changer), 2 different DVRs, a receiver, projector, motorized curtains, an LD player (yes, I still have one), an HDMI switcher, etc.

To give you an idea of the complexity that the MX-3000 is capable of, to watch a DVD from my changer, I press the "Watch a DVD" button on my home screen. This button turns on the correct equipment, selects the correct inputs, sets the lighting to a "screen highlight" scene, and turns on my star ceiling panels. The next step is to pick the correct movie by selecting its cover art. Once I do that, a second DVD player begins to play a pre-movie custom trailer, the curtains in front of my screen open, and my lights do a slow dim that takes a full minute to complete during the custom intro. When the intro is over, my projector and receiver immediately switch inputs over to my DVD changer, and can then begin controlling my DVD player. This is all accomplished by precisely programmed delays and foolproof macros that ensure every step in the process is bulletproof. Somewhere around 70 choreographed commands/steps are executed by hitting only 2 buttons on the remote.

I could never do what I'm doing with a pronto or Harmony. If you're willing to put in the time (or pay someone to put in the time), then it's the way to go. Otherwise, you can settle for a less complex program that will still get the job done (but won't help you get the most out of the remote you have invested in).

Good luck,
jj

Click here to see my theater:

post #19 of 42 Old 05-08-2008, 05:13 PM
Advanced Member

If a customer wants to handicap himself or not achieve the best a product can do, it is up to them. Frankly, everyone seems to think they are a DIYer and they just are not.

If people have 20-100 hours of time to learn and refine this product, b/c they are enthusiasts, let them.

If they think they should be allowed to return them to Magnolia or wherever, b/c they could not figure it out or they bit off more than they can chew...
well, then I have some choice words.

This bloody Redcoat said I was a terrorist.

Somewhere along the way I become an Elitist who looks down on the
cheap bastards who call themselves my AV Hobbyist peers.
I am not prepared.
post #20 of 42 Old 05-08-2008, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasV555 View Post

If a customer wants to handicap himself or not achieve the best a product can do, it is up to them. Frankly, everyone seems to think they are a DIYer and they just are not.

And then they blame the product for their shortcomings, eh?

-Joe

post #21 of 42 Old 05-08-2008, 07:44 PM

Nevo Q-50? Just a thought. Do some homework. If you need one I am a dealer and would be happy to walk you the Studio Pro software. Very simplistic drag and drop.

post #22 of 42 Old 05-09-2008, 12:29 PM

I have programmed the pronto and love it. Purchased two prontos for the whole house and use it in every room. It takes some time to program but there are many user files out there that you can use as templates. remotecentral is a good website for more info. I control all av equipment and lights and programming is easy.
post #23 of 42 Old 05-10-2008, 11:06 AM
Advanced Member

MX-980 is the best remote!!!
I don't like touchscreen...

post #24 of 42 Old 05-11-2008, 06:42 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by techie54 View Post

I have programmed the pronto and love it. Purchased two prontos for the whole house and use it in every room. It takes some time to program but there are many user files out there that you can use as templates. remotecentral is a good website for more info. I control all av equipment and lights and programming is easy.

my pronto.. i think its the tsu 7500 (color screen), just stopped working... the screen lites up, but except on a rare occassion, pushing the screen does nothing... i changed the battery from another pronto we have.. still nothing...

i have a local a/c guys who came over and hates the pronto remote (as does most people )...

he says controlling my pj/dvd/cable box/amp with a new remote is no problem, but the lighting will be another issue due to codes (??)

is that correct??

after reading some of the posts, i don't think programming a remote is something i can tackle...
post #25 of 42 Old 05-11-2008, 06:47 AM

MX3000 is definitely a sweet remote if you are willing to take lots of time to learn to program it to your liking or pay a pro to program it for.
post #26 of 42 Old 05-11-2008, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 93
MX3000 would be the best for theater room and Crestron for total home i found that in
the instalation side of things too many of the others fall short as soon as the comands
get more complicated with multiple pages.
post #27 of 42 Old 05-12-2008, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member

MX-3000 and a MSC-400. Use the remote as just an interface and let the msc-400 do the heavy lifting. The sensor inputs on the msc-400 make for bulletproof macros. Although it is not an rf-2way remote, you can do a lot with it. I like it a lot.

I do however love using a pocket PC with my fireballs, very cool.

Sailn...
post #28 of 42 Old 05-13-2008, 06:25 PM

The nicer control systems all have one thing in common. They are blank canvases for which to build on, with powerful tools hiding underneath. I don't think you'll find a controller that does the cool things and sets up from a little user-programmable interface. It simply doesn't exist so far as I can tell.

Crestron and AMX are more than you need for a single room. Jeffthx did something really cool with his MX3000, but I'm not sure that a Pronto couldn't do that too, and maybe Nevo. (It's been a while since I've set up a Pronto.) Universal's Nevo is nice. It's a one-handed hybrid controller with a programmable touch screen and hard buttons. Even if the Pronto and Nevo won't quite do everything Jeff has going at his house, they are still quite powerful. You might find a dealer that would sell you any of the above and provide minor programming assistance. (Like a quick tutorial so you can at least get off on the right foot.) I wouldn't be interested in entering into a relationship like that with you, but everyone's different. Call around...

You could also look at RTI's remote. It talks to Life|ware now (another higher end control system) but I'm not sure what the programming requirements are for RTI. I've never worked with one. (Life|ware, like Crestron and AMX is not an option for DYI.)

Yes ma'am, it's working now. Turns out it was just a defective installer.
post #29 of 42 Old 05-16-2008, 10:18 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
I just love the thread title. If I had your money I'd by the Lantic Systems Gold RC1 for $30,000
http://www.remoteshoppe.com/index.ph...id=540&catid=1

But, if you want a remote that will actually control what you want I'd personally look into the UEI Nevo Q50 or S70. They're a bit easier on the programming side and while they are also installer only items once you get the remote they will give you access to all future updates whereas URC is getting more and more protective and RTI always has been.

Jim

post #30 of 42 Old 05-17-2008, 09:21 PM

go with the Pronto and the rfx 300 base. Do the research and take the time. You can do more with the pronto than just about any other universal remote. Especially for the price. I am a pro, and nothing and I mean nothing has proven more reliable and customizable than the pronto. It may be a little more expensive, but I love the tsu 9600. In my opinion, the "big one" of remotes. I would tell you what i have done with mine, but then I would have to kill you......
Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page