ESPN The Ultimate Remote - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 05-21-2008, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I thought it was a joke when I first saw the link. Nice touch adding wi-fi to get the EPG on the remote.

ESPN Ultimate Remote

Amazon Link

http://www.espnremote.com/

From the CNET article:

We got an e-mail Tuesday announcing that ESPN's Wi-Fi remote was going on sale just in time for Father's Day. The remote is simply called ESPN The Ultimate Remote, which shouldn't be confused with another heady remote, Logitech's The One.

While The Ultimate Remote did make an appearance at CES in January, we really hadn't heard anything about it. It looks somewhat like one of Logitech's last-generation Harmony remotes, but it's apparently made by tvCompass, "a provider of digital media solutions."

On paper anyway, ESPN The Ultimate Remote looks like a serious contender. The release notes that the remote not only "manages your home-theater components, set-top boxes, and IP equipment with intuitive 'location-free' setup using a standard wireless connection," but you also get one-touch access to Internet content with an electronic program guide (EPG) for TV listings, a weather widget, mobile Internet browsing, and e-mail and text messaging. The only thing missing seems to be an RF option for accessing components hidden in a cabinet or a closet.

The remote is available for pre-order at Amazon for $300. What do you guys think: does it have Logitech's remotes beat?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-22-2008, 08:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I can't believe there hasn't been more talk about this sucker on here... IMHO the button layout looks much nicer than my Harmony 890, as well as the features. The wifi alone + ability to get the guide, scores, weather, etc make this worth looking into.

-Chuck
post #3 of 6 Old 05-22-2008, 03:18 PM

Does that transform in to a robot? Why is it so ugly...oh...ESPN
post #4 of 6 Old 10-27-2008, 09:51 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I just wanted to mention that TVCompass (the makers of the ESPN Remote) have made quite a few software upgrades since they introduced the remote for Father's Day. The Activities function is now much more similar to Logitech Harmony and I've found myself referring to the wifi guide quite a bit. It's very helpful with NFL Sunday Ticket when you never know what game is on what channel.

Jim
post #5 of 6 Old 12-05-2008, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

I see prices have come down on Amazon and the reviews have been fairly positive. Anyone else have this that can give a good review? Wouldn't mind having a new gadget to mess with if its worth the money.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-13-2009, 12:32 PM

+1, I'm having a tough time finding a decent hands on review of this remote. Would love for an owner to step forward and give some pro's and con's after using it for a while. I have a Harmony 880 right now, but just got the ESPN remote for a steal off of eBay. I'm curious if I should hang on to the ESPN remote as a replacement, put it in another room, or just sell it off.
Reply Remote Control Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page