Nevo S70 Owners (((OFFICIAL))) Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 75 Old 06-09-2008, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, I will be shipping out Nevo S70's late this week and figured that many of us will soon be owning this beast so I thought I would be proactive and start an Official Thread for us future owners.

If you have one ordered let us know. When you get it post your findings here for everyone to share.

I'm getting excited to have one of these to play with here in the next couple days. I have 6 coming in my first allocation. 3 are presold, but if you have trouble finding one let me know.

-Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 75 Old 07-26-2008, 06:32 AM

Anyone have this remote? I was looking at purchasing this one so I could control my HT room along with capability to control my slimserver. I would love to hear if anyone has some experience with the remote before I drop a ton of cash on one. Thanks!
post #3 of 75 Old 08-18-2008, 08:00 PM

I did buy the S70. Anyone else pick one up. I am pretty impressed. Let me know if anyone has questions.
post #4 of 75 Old 08-25-2008, 12:34 AM

i have a nevo sl for the last 3 years.. i am very happy in general but the battery life is not very good and lately i have problems with the hard keys. i was thinking to buy the new NEVO S70. Does anyone know if i can control both my IR-controlled AV equipment and also my RF-controlled curtain system using the new NEVO S70? with my nevo sl i could not do that because it only sends IR codes.. Does anyone know if i will be able to program and be able to control my RF-controlled curtains using the NEVO S70?

AL so, can i still download in a NEVO S70 and use my current project that i created and use for my old Nevo SL?

Thanks
post #5 of 75 Old 08-25-2008, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyenethlis View Post

i have a nevo sl for the last 3 years.. i am very happy in general but the battery life is not very good and lately i have problems with the hard keys. i was thinking to buy the new NEVO S70. Does anyone know if i can control both my IR-controlled AV equipment and also my RF-controlled curtain system using the new NEVO S70? with my nevo sl i could not do that because it only sends IR codes.. Does anyone know if i will be able to program and be able to control my RF-controlled curtains using the NEVO S70?

AL so, can i still download in a NEVO S70 and use my current project that i created and use for my old Nevo SL?

Thanks

The SL software is different then the 70. The 50 and 70 software is the same. If they can run off Z wave it may be possible. Of if you can get the rs232 commands you can program a macro to send them. Then just a way of getting that signal to the curtains.
post #6 of 75 Old 08-27-2008, 06:59 AM

I have also investigated the Z-Wave option. I do home automation and a lot of that includes Z-Wave mostly the Motorized Window Treatments. According to Nevo it currently only serves to communicate with their IR-Link and Connects. However I cant confirm that as I have been busy getting its basic features down for a home builders show in Sep. I do however like the control of my IP PTZ camera.

Terry
post #7 of 75 Old 08-27-2008, 12:30 PM

I'm not an installer but I do have the 70 and software. You can connect devices via the wizard that are IR, Serial or Sensing which I believe are devices connected to NevoConnect. Also, I think the Z-wave is just for communicating with NevoConnect. They may change this in the future but as of now I know of no way to connect another z-wave device.
post #8 of 75 Old 08-28-2008, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

We're starting to get some owners now. Congrats to all who own nevo products as I believe them to be far superior to any other remotes on the market today.

Controling 3rd party z-wave devices is still not available at this time. However UEI is one of the founding members of the Z-wave Alliance. I have spoken with several folks at UEI about 3rd party z-wave control nad can assure you that it is coming. I hope to get more info on this at cedia next week. I'll post my findings.

I wanted to comment on the use of ip based security cameras, is that cool or what. I had a client who thought it was cool when his cable company allowed him to get caller ID on his tv, showed him a security camera on a remote and he nearly fell over. How cool is that. I have installed at least 12 homes with the panasonic ip cameras. Very cool feature especially if you have infants. Use your remote to keep tabs on baby while you enjoy a flick in the theater.

Glad to see AVS is starting to get som S70 owners. Again to update I have S70's in stock and ready. If you are a DIYer give me a call and I will make you a deal.

Enjoy your S70's

Matt
post #9 of 75 Old 08-30-2008, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thew750 View Post

We're starting to get some owners now. Congrats to all who own nevo products as I believe them to be far superior to any other remotes on the market today.

Controling 3rd party z-wave devices is still not available at this time. However UEI is one of the founding members of the Z-wave Alliance. I have spoken with several folks at UEI about 3rd party z-wave control nad can assure you that it is coming. I hope to get more info on this at cedia next week. I'll post my findings.

I wanted to comment on the use of ip based security cameras, is that cool or what. I had a client who thought it was cool when his cable company allowed him to get caller ID on his tv, showed him a security camera on a remote and he nearly fell over. How cool is that. I have installed at least 12 homes with the panasonic ip cameras. Very cool feature especially if you have infants. Use your remote to keep tabs on baby while you enjoy a flick in the theater.

Glad to see AVS is starting to get som S70 owners. Again to update I have S70's in stock and ready. If you are a DIYer give me a call and I will make you a deal.

Enjoy your S70's

Matt

Matt,

Quick question. Right now I use a program called Signal on my iPhone to control iTunes which I stream over an airport express to my Nuvo GC. It's nice for when we are outside on the porch. I don't have to get up to cange anything except vol on the GC. Anyway, with the s70 having a web browser does it actually function like one. Meaning you can click and surf? Signal gives you an http address which links you to itunes and then you pretty much click and surf your iTunes library like you would on your Mac. Was wondering if it would work on the s70 cause then I can use it instead of the iPhone.

I also wanted this for use in my media room when my powerbook is hooked up to my 2 channel setup to control iTunes also so the macbook pro can be docked by my equipment.

Thanks for the help.

jim
post #10 of 75 Old 08-30-2008, 04:12 PM

I don't have iTunes, but have been using the Nevo Q70 for some good time before it was released. I currently use it to go to any website I want and it can open a virtual keyboard for entering info. I however tend to make things easier by rebuilding the web page to fit the window and scripting sign on data. I don't see why you would have any problem using iTunes right out of the box. If you have a specific issue you cant get resolved let me know and I will try and figure it out.

Terry
post #11 of 75 Old 10-08-2008, 11:22 AM

Newbie Questions: Does anyone have a good library of channel logos for the S70? I am having difficulty locating color logos without any background color. I have a few but not a complete colletction by any means....
post #12 of 75 Old 10-08-2008, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakewithme View Post

Newbie Questions: Does anyone have a good library of channel logos for the S70? I am having difficulty locating color logos without any background color. I have a few but not a complete colletction by any means....

Try this link. You might have to do some photoshop work.

http://www.jeffs-icons.com/TV_Network_Icons.html
post #13 of 75 Old 10-09-2008, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimim View Post

Matt,

Quick question. Right now I use a program called Signal on my iPhone to control iTunes which I stream over an airport express to my Nuvo GC. It's nice for when we are outside on the porch. I don't have to get up to cange anything except vol on the GC. Anyway, with the s70 having a web browser does it actually function like one. Meaning you can click and surf? Signal gives you an http address which links you to itunes and then you pretty much click and surf your iTunes library like you would on your Mac. Was wondering if it would work on the s70 cause then I can use it instead of the iPhone.

I also wanted this for use in my media room when my powerbook is hooked up to my 2 channel setup to control iTunes also so the macbook pro can be docked by my equipment.

Thanks for the help.

jim

I'm an owner of an S70 and let me tell you it's wonderful. Nevo Studio Pro is very easy and intuitive. I'm working on a slick LCARS theme for it now. Stay tuned.

As for Signal, according to its website it requires you to install a client on the Windows Mobile device. You download the PPC client using PIE. The S70 doesn't allow you to download anything off the web.

I'm interested to see if anyone hacks the S70 so you can run a custom ROM on it like PPCs. You could then cook the client into the ROM. I won't hold my breath though.
post #14 of 75 Old 10-20-2008, 11:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Anymore comments?
post #15 of 75 Old 10-26-2008, 07:16 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
i'm sick of my harmony 890 for various reasons and want to try this s70. yeah my setup is basic but my a/v components are in another room

currently the 890 can control these easily with the RF-IR extender thing.

will this remote operate my hidden equipment with no additional hardware? if not, what else would i need to buy?

thanks
post #16 of 75 Old 10-26-2008, 07:40 AM

There are two devices from Nevo for operating remote or hidden equipment. The NevoLink is a wired network based IR blaster. The S70 talks to it via wifi to the local wired network. The newer NevoConnect communicates vi Z-wave and among other things adds individually addressable IR ports.

p.s. I've been using a couple of Monster AVL-300's (same guts as the Harmony 890 pro) to control the theater and living room AV as well as a house full of Z-wave lighting and appliance devices. While they are an ok consumer friendly kind of thing, my new S70 totally blows it away. Of course it's not really a fair comparison given the difference in price and the fact that one is targeted as consumers and the other to installation professionals. For me there was a slightly higher learning curve to get up to speed using Nevo Studio Pro as compared with the online Monster software, but it's *much* more powerful and customizable and makes updating one or more remotes very easy. Updating multiple remotes and Omnilinks for a large install using the Monster software is a real pain and the web based programming software is fine for occasional use it gets tedious quickly.
post #17 of 75 Old 10-27-2008, 06:04 AM

I am selling one of my demo units on Ebay if your interested. It's the S70, NevoLink, and Software.

Terry
post #18 of 75 Old 10-29-2008, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
is this remote activity-based like the harmonys?

i assume it will directly talk to z-wave wall switches w/o the need of a scene controller or any other sort of base station...
post #19 of 75 Old 10-29-2008, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXcelon969 View Post

i assume it will directly talk to z-wave wall switches w/o the need of a scene controller or any other sort of base station...

1) The short answer is yes it can be activity based if that's what you want. But that's one of the things I love about this remote (and the accompanying software) is that it's incredibly flexible. You can pretty much have it do whatever you want regardless of paradigm.

2) Yes it talks Z-Wave directly.
post #20 of 75 Old 11-06-2008, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXcelon969 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsharpe View Post

1) The short answer is yes it can be activity based if that's what you want. But that's one of the thinks I love about this remote (and the accompanying software) is that it's incredibly flexible. You can pretty much have it do whatever you want regardless of paradigm.

2) Yes it talks Z-Wave directly.

The Nevos are completely customizable. They don't have any inherent configuration "philosophy." What you call "activity-based" is the overriding design philosophy of the Harmony remote system. With Nevo, you can set up macros that function that way, but you're not locked into it like you are with the Harmonys.

It's important to clarify that, until the expected software and firmware upgrades come around (sometime in the next few months), Nevo's z-wave is a closed network. The Nevo products talk to one another, and can use other z-wave devices as repeaters, but at this time, they DO NOT communicate with other z-wave products and WILL NOT control your wall switches.
post #21 of 75 Old 11-16-2008, 06:59 AM

Actually the S70 can communicate with wall switches. Mine quite readily finds and interacts with a houseful of Leviton dimmers, switches, etc. However, as progprog points out, full support for a z-wave devices beyond the Nevo Connect won't come until v2.x of the Studio-Pro software is released supposedly "by the end of the year".
post #22 of 75 Old 11-17-2008, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsharpe View Post

Actually the S70 can communicate with wall switches. Mine quite readily finds and interacts with a houseful of Leviton dimmers, switches, etc. However, as progprog points out, full support for a z-wave devices beyond the Nevo Connect won't come until v2.x of the Studio-Pro software is released supposedly "by the end of the year".

That's very helpful info, jsharpe- thanks for bringing it to light. So just to be clear: even though Nevo still claims that the z-wave is not opened up to non-Nevo devices yet, there are definitely some Leviton devices with which it has a fully-functional z-wave connection? (As opposed to wired from the NevoConnect.)
post #23 of 75 Old 11-17-2008, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by progprog View Post

That's very helpful info, jsharpe- thanks for bringing it to light. So just to be clear: even though Nevo still claims that the z-wave is not opened up to non-Nevo devices yet, there are definitely some Leviton devices with which it has a fully-functional z-wave connection? (As opposed to wired from the NevoConnect.)

That is correct. I can take an S70 into a room with multiple Z-wave wall switches, dimmers and modules and when I navigate to the Z-Wave screen on the device they all are directly detected and show up in a list. I can then pick one and interact with it from the S70 as expected. This tells me that UEI did indeed implement the standard z-wave communication protocol.

What's currently missing is bringing that information back into Studio-Pro as part of the Nevo Ecosystem to do things like give friendly names to the switches, define scenes/actions and hopefully more advanced activities such as optimize the network. Regarding that last item, I spent some time talking to the folks at Leviton and ControlThink in the z-wave booth at CEDIA and they were actually using an S70 to demonstrate how someone could control a number of different z-wave devices. In fact it was their demo of Studio-Pro that convinced me to give the S70 a try. At the time I didn't realize that this was as yet unreleased functionality for the Nevo. They went on to describe how the S70 could be used to add devices to a z-wave network which was then exported to the ControlThink software, analyzed and optimized there, and then returned to the Nevo ecosystem which would then take advantage of the optimized routing (unlike the Monster AVL-300 which I had been using and supposedly will never have that capability).

I hope to get much more information on this topic at CES in January, assuming all my questions haven't already been answered with the updated software. One thing that the folks from ControlThink stressed was the distinction between a true z-wave scene and what most remotes currently support which is macros. As they described it, the difference lies in the parallelism of the result with a macro being a sequence of events whereas in a scene all the things could happen simultaneously. For example when I select a particular lighting combination on the Monster I get the "popcorn" effect of each of the lights coming on one at a time, which is OK, but certainly not very slick. With full support of true scenes all the lights would switch or dim simultaneously (or as close to that as the network will allow). Apparently UEI had previously not been aware of the additional value of supporting true scenes in addition to macros, but were being lobbied to add that capability.
post #24 of 75 Old 11-25-2008, 08:57 PM

hey all, new to the forum...anyway, just got a S70, nevo link, and nevo connect, hiding of all a/v gear is complete using the nevo connect, and am now pondering the ability to control z-wave gear throughout the home. It seems to me that I should be able to build (for example) a leviton z-wave network through out the home, install a serial zwave module like the RZC0P-1LW, then run the nevo serial module accessory from the nevo connect to the RZC0P. In my limited knowledge, it looks as though I can create the ASCII commands through nevo studio pro. I culd create buttons on the S70 to run these commands through the serial module using the nevo connect. If the serial module Is sending the appropriate protocol ASCII commands to the RZC0P, it should theoretically allow the S70 to control any Leviton z-wave components. Is there something I'm missing?
post #25 of 75 Old 11-25-2008, 09:49 PM

That sounds like quite a bit of work. Unless you're in a hurry you might wait and see what the new version of Studio Pro and matching firmware offer in the way of direct and native z-wave support. Although it wouldn't surprise me to see the release date slip until CES, the last rumor I heard was that they were still shooting to release it "by the end of the year".
post #26 of 75 Old 11-26-2008, 09:28 AM

Yeah, the work I don't mind, I just love geek'n out with this stuff, however, if studio pro is adding third party z-wave support in upcoming versions, that's AWESOME! have they actually promised this or are we waiting and hoping they include it? because the majority of the work involved is the writing of ASCII commands, but perhaps some of the third party programming suits show their commands in ASCII format, they could be cut and pasted into nevo studio pro. does anyone have experience with any pc based z-wave control programming suits that show the actual command?
post #27 of 75 Old 12-05-2008, 09:58 PM

Expect Nevo Studio Pro 2.0 after the new year. It will add support for direct Z-Wave among other nifty features.
post #28 of 75 Old 12-28-2008, 10:20 AM

The 2.0 beta is available for dealers.

Anyone have a suggestion on how to connect a media PC to the nevo system?
post #29 of 75 Old 04-10-2009, 02:29 PM

Hi guys,

I do have a few questions for your S70 owners ...

1. Does the S70 support WPA security with AES security in a WLAN network ?

2. Do I need anything else to control software like Zoom Player on a PC except the S70, a working wlan connection and a remote control software like eventghost ?

3. Will I be able to connect to and use the Harmony RF extender to control my IR devices ? I have one lying around and since the S70 supposedly connects to Z-Wave gear I thought it might be possible to make use of it ...

Thanks !
Alex
post #30 of 75 Old 07-15-2009, 07:26 PM

Questions to the Nevo S70 owners: What exactly comes in the box? What is the warranty? I'm looking at buying one and was wondering if Studio Pro 2.x is packed in and I can register it MyNevo.com. Hope someone can answer. Thanks.

Eric

Eric

My Stuff: Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 w/  Ideal-Lume Bias Lighting, Yamaha RX-V3800, Oppo BDP-103D

Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Monster Mcc Avl300 S Home Theater And Lighting Controller With Omnilink
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page