Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 355 Old 11-28-2008, 02:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtv_md View Post

I have a new sealed 550 remote that I plan to give as a gift.

The remote is still in the hard plastic packaging, but the blue activity light keeps flashing every 5-30 seconds. Is this normal? The sticker says to press the Activities button for a demo. I think it may be a way to get people's attention, but I hope it's not a flaw with the remote.

Thanks!

It is not a normal feature outside of the packaging. I do not recall whether the one I bought over two years ago had the activities button flashing while hanging on the shelf but it doesn't seem practical since that will drain the batteries. Exchange it for a new one.

Sony KDL46XBR2 :-o, Samsung SMT-H3270 HDDVR, Oppo BDP-95 (w/a Haier 7" HLT71), Sony BDP-S350, Emo UMC-1 & XPA-5,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 2 Polk T90e (surrounds),
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 355 Old 11-28-2008, 04:42 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
it comes with another set of batteries. the first step in the instructions are to put the new ones in. waht you were refering to is a in store attention grabber. great gift btw.
post #93 of 355 Old 11-28-2008, 09:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by c_mack9 View Post

it comes with another set of batteries. the first step in the instructions are to put the new ones in. waht you were refering to is a in store attention grabber. great gift btw.

That's what I figured. I guess I'm going to have to use thicker wrapping paper to hide the flashing
post #94 of 355 Old 11-29-2008, 02:44 AM

Liked: 12
This seems like it would control all my stuff fine. Will need the Blu-Wave adapter to control my PS3, but I can manage that. What is the big difference between between this and the 880? Color display and better ergonomics?

Should I fear getting a refurbed model of either of them? With Live Cashback right now you can almost get a refurb 880 for the price of the 550 via Ebay and Buy.com

Recommendations?

And can the names of the "activities buttons" be changed? All my music is digital on my PC so I have little use for a "listen to CD" activity. Now if I could control my PC and the Zune software, that would be a whole different picture. I guess I just use it to switch to input I have my computer running to via optical.
post #95 of 355 Old 11-29-2008, 04:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmiggyjk View Post

And can the names of the "activities buttons" be changed? All my music is digital on my PC so I have little use for a "listen to CD" activity. Now if I could control my PC and the Zune software, that would be a whole different picture. I guess I just use it to switch to input I have my computer running to via optical.

Yes, the Activities can be renamed via Logitech software to anything you choose (probably within length limits).

Arvy
post #96 of 355 Old 12-01-2008, 12:17 PM

I picked one up over the weekend at BB for $59 after finally hearing my wife complain that we had 4 remotes...Anyway, this could be the best $59 I have ever spent. I set it up in 30 - 40 minutes and gave my wife a 3 minute lesson and she is now good to go...and more importantly - I do not have to listen to the complaining anymore! LOL
post #97 of 355 Old 12-02-2008, 03:41 AM

Thanks for those that mentioned PC Richard in this thread, hell of a deal they had on one. Was going to go to best buy for their sale until I saw that.
post #98 of 355 Old 12-02-2008, 11:09 AM

Would rechargeable batteries work with the Harmony 550? And if so, any recommendations?
post #99 of 355 Old 12-02-2008, 03:01 PM

There are a few hangups with my home theater components that have given other learning remotes fits...wonder if the Harmony 550 can support...

First, my AV receiver has a separate Power On and Off IR commands...seems all the remotes have a single power button that will not differentiate between on and off.

Second, my TV input cycles thru all the inputs with no direct access to each (that I'm aware of). So, to switch from Component-1 to HDMI-2, it is four pushes of the input button on the remote. To go back to Component-1 it is three pushes (switching between the computer and the TiVo). The harmony would have to execute that sequence of IR commands...unless I was on the DVD player on Component-2, then it's a different number of pushes on the input button. How could it know and respond accurately.

Am I wasting my time with this or has anyone seen the remote handle this type of complexity?
post #100 of 355 Old 12-02-2008, 04:13 PM

What's going on guys. I have aquestion about the delay time setting with the 550. The default reads as shown for my Blu-Ray player. 1500, 500, 500. To make it faster should I lower or higher the numbers?? Any help would be very appreciated. Thanks

mRdeMs83

post #101 of 355 Old 12-02-2008, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This seems like it would control all my stuff fine. Will need the Blu-Wave adapter to control my PS3, but I can manage that. What is the big difference between between this and the 880? Color display and better ergonomics?

Should I fear getting a refurbed model of either of them? With Live Cashback right now you can almost get a refurb 880 for the price of the 550 via Ebay and Buy.com

Recommendations?

I think the big difference between the 550 and 880 are color screen, ergonomically different, and if I'm not mistaken the 880 comes with a charging dock.

And yes, I believe someone already mentioned, they names of the "activities buttons" can be changed to whatever you want.

It's just my guess, but I would think you should be fine buying a refurb, as long as it's been refurbished by Logitech, and not some 3rd party.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curro View Post

Would rechargeable batteries work with the Harmony 550? And if so, any recommendations?

Rechargeable batteries will work fine in your 550. That's what I use in mine. I have 2 sets, so one set is always charged and ready to go. Any that are available at any of your local stores will work fine. From what I understand, the higher the mAh number, the longer a single charge will last.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReedK View Post

There are a few hangups with my home theater components that have given other learning remotes fits...wonder if the Harmony 550 can support...

First, my AV receiver has a separate Power On and Off IR commands...seems all the remotes have a single power button that will not differentiate between on and off.

Second, my TV input cycles thru all the inputs with no direct access to each (that I'm aware of). So, to switch from Component-1 to HDMI-2, it is four pushes of the input button on the remote. To go back to Component-1 it is three pushes (switching between the computer and the TiVo). The harmony would have to execute that sequence of IR commands...unless I was on the DVD player on Component-2, then it's a different number of pushes on the input button. How could it know and respond accurately.

Am I wasting my time with this or has anyone seen the remote handle this type of complexity?

My receiver also has separate on/off commands and the Harmony has those individual commands, and a simple power toggle command.

My TV cycles through all of its inputs the same way yours does, but with the Harmony you can set up the buttons so that you go directly to whatever input you want instead of cycling through them all. Once you get your remote set up properly, if you want to watch TV for example, you push the button that you named "watch TV" and the TV comes on, your cable box comes on, your AV receiver comes on, and all components are switched the the appropriate inputs. I don't know exactly what components you have obviously, but I think you get the point here.

When you set up the remote, you have to enter very specific information regarding exactly which manufacturer and model your components are, and also which components are used in each activity, and which input they each need to be set to.

Steve

post #102 of 355 Old 12-02-2008, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdems83 View Post

What's going on guys. I have aquestion about the delay time setting with the 550. The default reads as shown for my Blu-Ray player. 1500, 500, 500. To make it faster should I lower or higher the numbers?? Any help would be very appreciated. Thanks

To make things work faster, you go lower with the numbers. You'll have to experiment with it some. If you go too low, then the remote may not work right with your components. It's no big deal if that happens though. Just go back into the programming and raise the number back up. I had to do this to make scrolling through the menu of my AV receiver go faster. Before I changed the time delay setting, adjusting menu settings was painfully slow, but after I changed it, it made a huge difference.

Steve

post #103 of 355 Old 12-02-2008, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman325 View Post

To make things work faster, you go lower with the numbers. You'll have to experiment with it some. If you go too low, then the remote may not work right with your components. It's no big deal if that happens though. Just go back into the programming and raise the number back up. I had to do this to make scrolling through the menu of my AV receiver go faster. Before I changed the time delay setting, adjusting menu settings was painfully slow, but after I changed it, it made a huge difference.

Great thanks alot. I like the remote for the most part. I am having trouble with me hddvd player aswell. Its set to the activities and when I hit the button everything powers on right but I cannot control the hddvd player without going to devices first. Which is not too bad to do but it kinda defeats the purpose. Id might aswell have two remotes.

mRdeMs83

post #104 of 355 Old 12-03-2008, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdems83 View Post

Great thanks alot. I like the remote for the most part. I am having trouble with me hddvd player aswell. Its set to the activities and when I hit the button everything powers on right but I cannot control the hddvd player without going to devices first. Which is not too bad to do but it kinda defeats the purpose. Id might aswell have two remotes.

Have you gone into your button setup and made sure the functions you want to use (I'm assuming play, stop, pause etc.) are properly set to the appropriate buttons on your remote for that activity? If I recall correctly, I had to match up a few buttons on my remote when I did the initial setup that you would have thought would have been set up properly to begin with.

Steve

post #105 of 355 Old 12-03-2008, 12:24 PM

Another option for the Harmony 550 remotes might be these batteries:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eneloop#Sanyo_Eneloop

with the appropriate charger. This is more of a long term investment (higher cost up front for more durability)
post #106 of 355 Old 12-03-2008, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by curro View Post

Another option for the Harmony 550 remotes might be these batteries:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eneloop#Sanyo_Eneloop

with the appropriate charger. This is more of a long term investment (higher cost up front for more durability)

Yeah, self-discharge is always a pain with rechargeable batteries. The sets I have now only last about half as long as a regular disposable set, but it's not so bad since I have 2 sets of them. As soon as one set dies I change them and put the dead ones in the charger. Once they're done, I put them in the drawer in the end table so they'll be there for next time. I'm sure they lose a fair amount of their charge before I use them again.

Steve

post #107 of 355 Old 12-03-2008, 05:03 PM

Loving this remote so far, at $50 it was a steal. Once I get my PS3IRX1 my setup should be about complete, though I still need a Creative I/O adapter to run my PC to my stereo.

I love that I can, with a touch of a button switch to RGB mode on the TV, turn on the receiver and my dual screen PC setup with my 42" TV is ready to watch content via my PC. Setup was a breeze as all my stuff is new within the past year.

I only have one complaint at this point, and maybe you guys can help. Say I am watching TV and thus my cable box is the primary function though the receiver is being used for audio. I go in to audio/receiver options, and say switch my listening mode and then a cable box reminder pops up.

Problem is I can't exit out of the reminder as I am in the audio section. Is there a way to set a quick/hot button to switch to the box and exit out of it, or is the fastest way to just hit "activities" and then "watch TV" again to get me back to my defaults?

Is that just something I will have to deal with?
post #108 of 355 Old 12-04-2008, 09:30 AM
Advanced Member

^^^
Apparently, you haven't finished configuring your remote.
To control a receiver you don't need to switch to "audio/receiver options". Instead, put buttons to switch listening mode onto you current activity LCD screen. Now, they are accessible without leaving your activity.
In your current configutation just click twice Device or Activity button and you're back in the activity you've been before going into "audio/receiver options".
post #109 of 355 Old 12-04-2008, 09:39 AM

Quote:

Loving this remote so far, at $50 it was a steal. Once I get my PS3IRX1 my setup should be about complete, though I still need a Creative I/O adapter to run my PC to my stereo.

I love that I can, with a touch of a button switch to RGB mode on the TV, turn on the receiver and my dual screen PC setup with my 42" TV is ready to watch content via my PC. Setup was a breeze as all my stuff is new within the past year.

I only have one complaint at this point, and maybe you guys can help. Say I am watching TV and thus my cable box is the primary function though the receiver is being used for audio. I go in to audio/receiver options, and say switch my listening mode and then a cable box reminder pops up.

Problem is I can't exit out of the reminder as I am in the audio section. Is there a way to set a quick/hot button to switch to the box and exit out of it, or is the fastest way to just hit "activities" and then "watch TV" again to get me back to my defaults?

Is that just something I will have to deal with?

If your cable remote has a way to get out of the reminder you can teach the 550 to do the same thing by learning the command from the cable remote. If you need to press more than one command you can create a sequence of up to 5 commands on the 550.
post #110 of 355 Old 12-04-2008, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsenter View Post

^^^
Instead, put buttons to switch listening mode onto you current activity LCD screen. Now, they are accessible without leaving your activity.

nvm, finally found it =p
post #111 of 355 Old 12-05-2008, 11:37 AM

I haven't bought a 550 yet, I am concerned about things not turning on if you don't hold the remote very steady when activating one of the actions, "watch TV" for example.

My parents have an unknown brand universal remote which was installed by a home theater pro 2 years ago (touch screen only, not color, uses a remote IR receiver which sends signals to stuff in cabinet). You have to hold the button for a second, and point it right at the IR receiver perfectly. Sometimes, all but the TV turns on, or something like that where the function does not happen. We all hate it.

Is this of any concern on the 550?

Also, I am concerned about a delay when you push the button (based on parents same crappy remote). On my Dish network remote, it is instant response on the screen. Is the 550 as good or better? I would return it immediately if it does not react quickly like the original remote.

My setup will be simple I think, I will be operating only:

Dish network satellite receiver VIP-722
Yamaha YSP-4000 Soundbar
Sony bluray player
Vizio LCD TV
post #112 of 355 Old 12-05-2008, 08:53 PM

I don't have any problems with having to aim the remote perfectly. I think there are several emitters on the end of the remote. It seems to work quite well and from a considerable distance too.

If you program the remote to turn on several things with one button push you do have to aim the remote until all the functions have completed. But if you have already used a programmable remote you should be used to that. Otherwise it is instant reaction.

post #113 of 355 Old 12-05-2008, 10:34 PM

It offers much better range to my stereo than even the onkyo remote did. Like pmilin mentioned above, you do have to wait for all components to turn on, that is about the only delay. You can move the remote around a bit while doing it, doesnt have to be perfectly still or aimed right at it. Often, since this is my first universal, I have forgotten to point right at it, and ill be moving and it still registers.
post #114 of 355 Old 12-06-2008, 04:40 AM

I have been reading this thread and have decided to purchase a 550. The only reservation I have is it's incompatibility with m PS3.

I know there is something you can install into the PS3 (via a USB port i think)
that will allow you to control the unit. I think the only function you will not be able to do is turn the unit on. I guess I can live with that.

Could someone tell me what I need to buy to connect to the PS3. If someone could post a link that would be great.

Thanks for your help

Dave
post #115 of 355 Old 12-06-2008, 05:37 AM

Follow up to my post a few up:

I bought the 550 last night. I think it's great. It does everything I want it to and more. My 5 year old daughter took about 10 minutes to learn it. I ended up getting it at Best buy for $59.

Ergonomics are great since it has 2 finger holding "bumps" on the bottom.

Only negatives are off angle screen (on the remote) viewing, and the buttons are very loud clicky, which can be annoying when surfing through the guide.

Is there any way to turn off the light blinking with every button push?

Also, my TV "cycles" through from HDMI 1 to HDMI 2, 3, and 4, then going back to HDMI 1 all with one button push. THe 550 does not do this correctly when "watch dvd" from system off. It works totally right when the TV is already on and I go from "watch tv" to "watch dvd".

Any ideas how I can get it to go to HDMI 2 (DVD input) from system off?
post #116 of 355 Old 12-06-2008, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crovello View Post

I have been reading this thread and have decided to purchase a 550. The only reservation I have is it's incompatibility with m PS3.

I know there is something you can install into the PS3 (via a USB port i think)
that will allow you to control the unit. I think the only function you will not be able to do is turn the unit on. I guess I can live with that.

Could someone tell me what I need to buy to connect to the PS3. If someone could post a link that would be great.

Thanks for your help

Dave

There are several different options. The IR4PS3 or IR2BT will give you full functionality, including on and off commands.

http://ir2bt.com/

If you're interested in an IR4PS3 you have to contact the guy who makes them directly at this e-mail address:

ir4ps3@hotmail.com

The less expensive option is the Blu Wave, but you don't have on and off capabilities as I understand it. It can be seen here, but bought just about anywhere.

http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-3-.../dp/B000R5H7KE

There's actually an entire thread on this very topic, and it's much more thorough than what I've gone into above.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ight=converter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnut333 View Post

Is there any way to turn off the light blinking with every button push?

Also, my TV "cycles" through from HDMI 1 to HDMI 2, 3, and 4, then going back to HDMI 1 all with one button push. THe 550 does not do this correctly when "watch dvd" from system off. It works totally right when the TV is already on and I go from "watch tv" to "watch dvd".

Any ideas how I can get it to go to HDMI 2 (DVD input) from system off?

You can adjust the remote's backlight settings by clicking the tab that says "Remote Settings" in the Harmony programming software.

As for the scrolling inputs, something is definitely screwy there. It shouldn't be doing that. I guess since it goes to the correct input if the TV is already on, then you must have entered the correct input for that activity in your setup. I would start with reviewing the settings for that activity very carefully, and if you can't find anything wrong, maybe try deleting the activity and re-entering it. If that doesn't help, you may have to contact customer support to see if they can walk you through getting it straightened out. Good luck with it.

Steve

post #117 of 355 Old 12-06-2008, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnut333 View Post

and the buttons are very loud clicky, which can be annoying when surfing through the guide.

The buttons are quite loud, but I am learning to use page up and page down constantly, that cuts down on the clicks I need unless it is something on that page I need to scroll to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crovello View Post

PS3IRX1 is another option for your PS3 issue, which offers everything but powering on. And it wont take slot 1 on your PS3 constantly like the Blu-Wave.
post #118 of 355 Old 12-07-2008, 07:43 AM

Hello all I have been looking all over the net for threads dedicated to the 550 remote and I must say this is the best. I have so many questions about the remote if anyone would be so kind as to answer....

On my TV I have multiple different inputs for component, composite, HDMI, coax and also have Nyrius component switcher (with IR port)

My current devices are

Comcast DVR
DVD Player
PS3 (60 gb w/ PS2 IR remote USB add-on)
PSP (USA 2000)
VCR
Wii
Mac Computer (W/ IR USB port)
xbox360

I have a Aiwa CX-NA555 (CD / Cassette / Audio Input / AM.FM)

Questions
------------------------------------

1) I have multiple gaming systems on multiple different inputs, will the 550 be able to be programed to each system to enable it's input (Note it will be going through the Nyrius device) I am aware that some of my gaming devices do not have IR ports, I am more concerned on just getting them to the correct viewing input so when I turn the device on they will be viewable on the screen.

2) Can I label the activities buttons EX: PSP, Wii, xbox360 etc...

3) I plan to have the Aiwa on for the audio all the time for what ever the TV is viewing. Can I have it set to be the primary audio controller for the remote?

4) When I do a cold start (Turning the devices on for the first time) I want the 550 to turn on the TV, turn on the audio receiver (make sure it is set to audio input) and have the DVR (which is on all the time) to come on the screen. Is this feasible?

5) When I shut down, can I make it turn off the TV and the audio receiver?

6) On the audio receiver I have to scroll through the devices to select the input, is there any way to have it select a particular input? (Example the receiver scrolls through CD / Cassette / Audio Input / AM.FM in that sequence. Can I have it jump from CD to audio input?)

7) I know they make a special xbox360 edition of the harmony remote, will the standard 550 work with the 360?

I know I am asking a lot of questions, in an effort to keep it simple please mark all answers with the corresponding question number. Once again any help will be very much appreciated.

Overall I feel as if the 550 can do 80% of what I want it to do it will be a well spent investment of $50.

Thanks again in advanced
post #119 of 355 Old 12-07-2008, 02:47 PM

I'll answer the ones I know for sure

1. Dunno because of the Nyrius, but my setup works fine just using my TV, Wii, PS3, etc. Switches to them accordingly.

2. Yes, the names are editable in the software on your PC

3. Yes you can, the software asks if you want the receiver controlling audio and sets it accordingly.

4. Yes

5. Yes, I just leave my cable box on 24/7, you can just turn the other two off if you so choose.

6. Maybe. Depends on if there are codes in the devices remote for direct inputs of those controls. If it isn't on the original remote or in the menu, probably not. For instance, PIP controls on my TV were accessible via a horrible menu system. Now with the harmony I can set those controls to show up in my "watching tv" quick menu screen.

7. Yes it should
post #120 of 355 Old 12-07-2008, 03:51 PM

Quote:

6. Maybe. Depends on if there are codes in the devices remote for direct inputs of those controls. If it isn't on the original remote or in the menu, probably not. For instance, PIP controls on my TV were accessible via a horrible menu system. Now with the harmony I can set those controls to show up in my "watching tv" quick menu screen.

First off thank you sooo much for your response, I think it is 100% official that this is the remote for me!

The audio receiver says it works with the harmony off the web site, I guess I will just have to wait and see what happens, I am so excited thanks again so much!
Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page