Been looking at the Harmony's but I came accross this at amazon.com - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 09-22-2008, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 15
8 Device One for All universal remote control.

It is only $15 but it does EVERYTHING that I think I will ever need for a remote control. The reviews are great on it.

Anyone have one of these?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pr_product_top

Just wanted some input on this one before I decide to go the Harmony route.

*edited to add*

I will be using with direct tv hd-dvr, vizio hdtv, phillips 5982 dvd player and an old sony vcr that has seen better days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 09-22-2008, 08:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quite frankly - I think, for your tasks, you'd be happy with this remote and save yourself a lot of dough!

PSN: technologiq
GamerTag:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wii#: 2216 6139 7881 1960
post #3 of 17 Old 09-22-2008, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
The 8820 doesn't have a preset code for the current line of direct receivers, you'll have to teach it the commands. Unless you have HD tivo 10-250? In that case it does have the codes, in fact codes for tivo addresses 1-4.
post #4 of 17 Old 09-23-2008, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 352
The radio shack 15-100 is also made by the same company as one-for-all and a much better remote over-all for about the same price, and does have the directv code built in. It also has backlighting and an LCD display.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 17 Old 09-23-2008, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

oh i didnt know that edmund. looks like i will go for mdavejs suggestion. i will get some as gifts as well.

thanks guys
post #6 of 17 Old 09-23-2008, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
One thing that a Harmony will give you that most other "cheap" universal remotes won't is direct button mapping. By that I mean if you have an A B and C button on your cable box remote, you will have to map these to other named buttons on a "cheap" remote. On a Harmony you can just use the OSD and have a soft key called "A" so you know what you are pressing.

I used to have a cheaper Sony remote, and I don't know how many times my wife called me to have me walk here through getting everything setup properly. Since I know have Harmony remotes, I've never gotten a call from her because the usage is so intuitive. IMO they are well worth the money...

XBL GT: DMBFiredancer
post #7 of 17 Old 09-23-2008, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Very true. That's the trade-off for a $10-$15 remote. I personally dislike LCD remotes because I'd rather use my remote by feel and not have to look at it. To avoid the button mapping issue in this case, other cheap options are the 15-133 which has the colored buttons just like the DirecTV remote, and is backlit and 8-device like the 15-100. The 15-134 also has the colored buttons, but isn't backlit and is only 5-device. All are excellent cheap, learning remotes and have the DirecTV codes as well as macro capabilities for harmony-like activities.

post #8 of 17 Old 09-23-2008, 10:35 AM

I actually have two of these remotes controlling both my front room and my bedroom. Great little remote for the money and you can actually buy a clip and docking station for it through a third party company to be able to program it yourself (if you really wanted to). For the purpose of just normal remote use it is fine, however I would like to be able to control multiple items as once (not having to switch to audio to control volume, then back to pvr to control my OSD) so it has its draw backs but for a simple, easy to use and CHEAP remote it is worth it. You can pick them up at BB for the same price as Amazon.
post #9 of 17 Old 09-23-2008, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by [H]gregnash View Post

I actually have two of these remotes controlling both my front room and my bedroom. Great little remote for the money and you can actually buy a clip and docking station for it through a third party company to be able to program it yourself (if you really wanted to). For the purpose of just normal remote use it is fine, however I would like to be able to control multiple items as once (not having to switch to audio to control volume, then back to pvr to control my OSD) so it has its draw backs but for a simple, easy to use and CHEAP remote it is worth it. You can pick them up at BB for the same price as Amazon.

If you're refering to the OFA urc-8820? With its use of advanced codes and keymoving you can setup a system device, where transport functions come from one device and volume from another and so on.
post #10 of 17 Old 09-23-2008, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund View Post

If you're refering to the OFA urc-8820? With its use of advanced codes and keymoving you can setup a system device, where transport functions come from one device and volume from another and so on.

yeah I know that and have actually done it a couple of times. However, these remotes seem to be the favorite snack for my dogs (OP be WARNED!) so I have gotten to the point where I just dont even bother anymore.
post #11 of 17 Old 09-23-2008, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

guys quick question

so im programming the rs 15-100 at the moment

it says in the manual sony products should work out of the box. my sony tv doesnt respond to the remote.

i tried programming it to my tv by brand per manual, did not work.

i then tried programming it to my tv via two codes, still did not work.

i assume i just have to keep trying the different codes until one works?
this is my first universal remote so just asking this question before i start pulling my hair out.

p.s. i have read the manual a couple of times and this doesnt look too difficult to program at all. just making sure something isnt wrong at the moment
post #12 of 17 Old 09-23-2008, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

That's unusual for the sony codes not to work. What model do you have? My 20 year old sony works with 10000 and my 2 year old sony works with 11100.

post #13 of 17 Old 09-23-2008, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

i have the Sony 60 Grand Wega KDF-E60A20

the remote said success every time but i cant power the tv on or off, volume etc wont work.

ill keep trying more codes
post #14 of 17 Old 09-23-2008, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

I think 11100 should work for that one. Make sure you do code set, down arrow to id set, press TV at the mode prompt, OK, 11100, OK.

post #15 of 17 Old 09-24-2008, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

thanks i got everything programmed except one thing.

i cant seem to find a code for the toshiba hd a3.

i tried searching but i only found 21769 and that didnt work.
post #16 of 17 Old 09-24-2008, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Glad everything else is working. 21769 is the right code, but apparently it's not built in to the 15-100. In this case you'll have to learn the toshiba hd a3 buttons. I wouldn't bother learning all of them (like the numbers), just the ones you think you'll use. Post back if you need any advanced codes for your other devices, like discrete on/off or input selections.

post #17 of 17 Old 09-25-2008, 04:34 PM
Advanced Member

Who would spend $15 for a remote..!
Get out of here.
My local Big Lots is Selling the Hermione 880 for $7.
This remote is like magic.
That is almost 50% off.

This bloody Redcoat said I was a terrorist.

Somewhere along the way I become an Elitist who looks down on the
cheap bastards who call themselves my AV Hobbyist peers.
I am not prepared.
Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page