AVS Forum banner

Simple IR Extender

16K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  bobpaule 
#1 ·
I live in New York City and have a Scientific Atlanta 8300HD DVR cable box though Time Warner. I have the cable box below the TV in a closed cabinet. To use the remote that came with the cable box I have to leave the door open. Obviously this is not ideal. I am looking for a cheap/effective solution... I did purchase the Next Generation IR Extender but can't seem to make that work; the reviews say it works with the SA box but it does not for me (if anyone in New York w/ Time Warner has had a similar experience, please let me know). I know there are expensive options but it seems I shouldn't have to spend $100+ to solve this problem. The box does have an IR output on the back...can I do something with that?

Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
The output on the back is used to send IR signals to other equipment. You can't use that to receive them. The Hot Link Pro gets good reviews, so you might want to check that out. One problem with Cable/Satellite boxes is that a lot of the IR eyes are overly sensitive, so you may have to play around with emitter placement. Check Parts Express and Smarthome for other brands. If all you need to control is the one box, you may can do it cheaper buying a receiver, connecting block, and one emitter instead of a kit that can control several pieces of gear. Good luck.

#3 ·
Try the X-10 Powermid - I've used these with great success for over 15 years. They are available from various web sites for $49.99. You put the IR receiver somewhere with line of site to where you sit with the remote (next to the TV is usually a good choice). You put the IR transmitter (the pyramid with the antenna) in the cabinet with your gear - if necessary you can plug an IR emitter (less than $10 from numerous vendors) into the jack on the IR transmitter and put the emitter over the IR sensor window on your cable box. Should work like a charm.

Hope this helps,

Mike

#4 ·
Chris:

SA makes an IR extender, powered by the USB slot of the 8300HD (although the slot may not be implemented by your software, it still passes the necessary voltage to power the IR extender). The IR extender is only certified for use with SA devices, it's not a general purpose IR extender.

It so happens that I have one that I bought about a year ago, which I am not using due to a change in my cabinet configuration. Send me a private message to discuss.

#10 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.