Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 144 Old 12-19-2011, 09:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Ease of use is about the same. Ease of programming is better on harmony. Hardware is better on URC. There's a huge detailed review on remotecentral. You can put your hands on both at best buy.

Awesome reply, thank you!
When you say hardware, did you mean quality of build only?
Or the button placement as well?
That's a big decision factor for me.
Controller layout. Not for me as much as for the other user's.
I think or would like someone to be able to pick it up and use it like it was there's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 144 Old 12-19-2011, 02:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked: 421
The button placement is very subjective, but both are fine to me. Harmony is smaller overall, and the buttons themselves are smaller and have less travel. I prefer a smaller remote myself. You'll just have to look a the layouts and decide for yourself. If you're used to a certain layout and don't want to change, then get whatever matches what you have now. URC is sturdier and will last longer, but both should last years.
post #93 of 144 Old 12-20-2011, 04:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 38
how does a R50 handle the Time Scientific Atlantic "A, B, C, D" buttons that you need for recording and erasing shows on the dvr? I don't see dedicated buttons for them on the R50. Where does the code place them?
post #94 of 144 Old 12-21-2011, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jontyrees View Post

how does a R50 handle the Time Scientific Atlantic "A, B, C, D" buttons that you need for recording and erasing shows on the dvr? I don't see dedicated buttons for them on the R50. Where does the code place them?

Just 'teach' them to any 4 (empty) buttons in that function. You can even overwrite/edit an existing button if you like.

Yamaha DSP-A1 Integrated Amp
(4) Polk Monitor 10B's w/SoniCaps and Mills resistors (R/L F/R)
(2) Polk Monitor 4's w/peerless tweets (dual centers)
B&O TX2 Turntable
Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
Pioneer CLD-99 Elite LD
Samsung BD-P2550 Blu-Ray/DVD
Princeton AF3.0HD Monitor
Optoma HD65 Projector
post #95 of 144 Old 01-09-2012, 12:54 PM

Liked: 16
I have been setting up my new R50 over the last couple of weeks as time permits. I am coming from a 1forall-8 with display. I was disappointed that my old urc-8910 was no longer supported for upgrades, but I think I am going to be very happy with this one.
I haven't had any problem using the OSD tips instead of a manual. I have 4 of 7 devices programmed and just did the macros and punch thrus for the core 3 devices over the weekend. Whether your devices have discrete codes for on/off and input select or just toggle thru the choices dictates the kind of macros you can have. I have only used macros for audio select in the past. I am doing that now and have master on/off macros for the core 3 devices as well. Nice!
I have noticed a couple of quirks. On the first device, tv, the volume control would only issue a single command when holding it down. After navigating the tv's menu, which requires the vol and ch up/dn, it began working normally. I notice this again in test mode for my receiver, but it operated normally after saving the code. A couple of times after learning a string of commands in one session, none of them worked. Learning them exactly the same way again, they all worked. And once, the first learned command worked, but not the rest. And when I came back to the first one, it didn't work either. Everything was fine after relearning.
I haven't been too concerned with finding the best code for a device. As long as the hard buttons work in test mode, I save it. With the memory capacity of this remote, I can learn the rest and put them exactly where I want them.
I have been selecting the icon and labelling buttons before I program them. That way I can see how they are going to look and know I am on the right one when programming.
post #96 of 144 Old 01-09-2012, 01:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

FWIW, all you needed for your 8910 was a $15 cable ($5 if you build it yourself) and you could load upgrades for all the latest devices to your heart's content using free graphical software and do a lot more than that R50 (nested macros, device multiplexing, short/long/double/shifted/double-shifted key presses, fast macros, variable delays, state tracking, device specific macros, custom LCD text, etc.). In fact, if you want to get rid of that 8910, PM me.

EDIT: I forgot, the 8910 has a modem, so you don't even need a cable, just our free software to make your own upgrade wav files.
post #97 of 144 Old 01-10-2012, 09:55 AM

Liked: 16
You know, I did some initial checking into using jp1 before I got the r50. My first thought was this is something I don't want to spend time on. I may revisit this in the future. The 8910 isn't going anywhere. On the other hand, replacing a universal remote every 8 years or so, whether you need to or not, isn't a bad thing.
post #98 of 144 Old 01-11-2012, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbdoc View Post

On the other hand, replacing a universal remote every 8 years or so, whether you need to or not, isn't a bad thing.

I agree: I replaced an RC2000 with the R50 a couple of years ago (the Marantz finally ran out of memory). Guess that means I have about 6 years left!

B&O TX2 Turntable
Pioneer CLD-99 Elite LD
Optoma HD65 Projector
post #99 of 144 Old 02-23-2012, 10:42 AM

Liked: 12
Has anyone used the R50 with the Auvio adapter from Radio Shack to control a PS3?

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...uctId=10852495

Target has the R50 on clearance for $50 so I'm considering trying it with this adapter on my PS3 to get a nice set up for a cheap price.

Visiting since 2002!
post #100 of 144 Old 02-23-2012, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_WI View Post

Has anyone used the R50 with the Auvio adapter from Radio Shack to control a PS3?

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...uctId=10852495

Target has the R50 on clearance for $50 so I'm considering trying it with this adapter on my PS3 to get a nice set up for a cheap price.

Or has anyone gotten the R50 to work with the Harmony adapter to control all functions on the PS3?

Visiting since 2002!
post #101 of 144 Old 02-23-2012, 12:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

In case you don't get a better answer, the Auvio just uses standard sony DVD or Blu-ray codes, so it should work fine with the R50. The harmony adapter probably won't work since it uses a unique protocol that's only in a few remotes, probably not in the R50.

Can you use HDMI CEC? I've found I don't really need a PS3 adapter of any kind now thanks to HDMI control. I get on/off as well as all transport/menu/guide functions using my TV device.
post #102 of 144 Old 02-23-2012, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

In case you don't get a better answer, the Auvio just uses standard sony DVD or Blu-ray codes, so it should work fine with the R50. The harmony adapter probably won't work since it uses a unique protocol that's only in a few remotes, probably not in the R50.

Can you use HDMI CEC? I've found I don't really need a PS3 adapter of any kind now thanks to HDMI control. I get on/off as well as all transport/menu/guide functions using my TV device.

I ended up finding info stating that the Harmony adapter probably won't work. I think I may try the Auvio adapter to see if that works. For $2 how can I go wrong?

The HDMI CEC won't work unless it's a Sony TV as well, right? I have an LG TV so I don't think it will work that way.

Visiting since 2002!
post #103 of 144 Old 05-16-2012, 04:21 PM

Regarding backlighting, does it activate with a push of any button or do you have to push the 'LIGHT' button to enable backlight? I'm thinking of replacing my old Marantz RC2000MKII with this one. With the Marantz, pressing any button would turn on the backlight but with my URC MX500, I have to press the 'LIGHT' button to turn on the backlight. How long does a pair of AA usually last with backlighting enabled?
post #104 of 144 Old 05-17-2012, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeycas View Post

Regarding backlighting, does it activate with a push of any button or do you have to push the 'LIGHT' button to enable backlight? I'm thinking of replacing my old Marantz RC2000MKII with this one. With the Marantz, pressing any button would turn on the backlight but with my URC MX500, I have to press the 'LIGHT' button to turn on the backlight. How long does a pair of AA usually last with backlighting enabled?

Backlight comes on BOTH ways. I also replaced an RC2000 w/an R50 & couldn't be happier. Batteries last for months! Macros are better than meets the eye (pause function makes for dual-use buttons).

B&O TX2 Turntable
Pioneer CLD-99 Elite LD
Optoma HD65 Projector
post #105 of 144 Old 05-17-2012, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanton View Post

Backlight comes on BOTH ways. I also replaced an RC2000 w/an R50 & couldn't be happier. Batteries last for months! Macros are better than meets the eye (pause function makes for dual-use buttons).

Thanks. Nice to know that backlight can be turned on by pressing any button
post #106 of 144 Old 06-14-2012, 03:34 PM
rdn
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeycas View Post

Thanks. Nice to know that backlight can be turned on by pressing any button

On my URC-R50, the key backlight only comes on by pressing the side button. The LCD screen backlight comes on with any key press.

Bob
post #107 of 144 Old 06-14-2012, 10:59 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdn View Post

On my URC-R50, the key backlight only comes on by pressing the side button. The LCD screen backlight comes on with any key press.

Both the LCB backlight and key light comes on by pressing any button.

I like to use rechargeable batteries and they do not last worth a damn. so I wired in a 5V external connection. Ya, I know, it is now a "wired" remote. Because of where and how I use it, the wire is not an issue. No need to change batteries biggrin.gif

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #108 of 144 Old 07-15-2012, 11:42 PM

I needed an inexpensive solution to replace a receiver that was going out on me and picked up this Pyle PT590au. It"s nothing fancy but it works well enough for my needs. Anyway, for the life of me, I can't get my R50 universal remote to to play nice with this receiver at all. There are no codes for Pyle products and the r50 doesn't seem to want to learn the Pyle's remote. It seems to only "learn" the last command "taught" and assigns that one and only function to the button associated with profile I set up for in the color LCD screen.

I've been trying to figure this out most of the weekend and it's driving me nuts. Can't we all (my devices) get along?

If anyone out there can help me w/this I will gladly sign my soul over to you.

Mahalo,
JWood
post #109 of 144 Old 07-16-2012, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Wood View Post

I needed an inexpensive solution to replace a receiver that was going out on me and picked up this Pyle PT590au. It"s nothing fancy but it works well enough for my needs. Anyway, for the life of me, I can't get my R50 universal remote to to play nice with this receiver at all. There are no codes for Pyle products and the r50 doesn't seem to want to learn the Pyle's remote. It seems to only "learn" the last command "taught" and assigns that one and only function to the button associated with profile I set up for in the color LCD screen.
I've been trying to figure this out most of the weekend and it's driving me nuts.

Sometimes you can try "daisy-chaining" learning remotes when a particular one won't learn commands; in other words, teach some (other) remote the command and then use that remote to teach the R50. Having said that, I've never heard of that particular receiver brand and it's possible they use a non-standard IR implementation (although for life of me I wouldn't know why).

B&O TX2 Turntable
Pioneer CLD-99 Elite LD
Optoma HD65 Projector
post #110 of 144 Old 07-16-2012, 10:37 AM

Hmm, interesting.

By "other" remote, do you mean another Universal?

Thanks Slanton.
post #111 of 144 Old 07-16-2012, 11:17 AM

"The codes are typically generated from the remote control manufacture. They program their universal remote to run with OEM devices such as our Pyle we do not have access to those codes."

This is the response I got back from Pyle support. How helpful, right?
post #112 of 144 Old 07-16-2012, 03:53 PM

Doh, I was programming it wrong. There went many hours of my life. Man, if they would of just made the manual on this thing a little better.... eek.gif
post #113 of 144 Old 07-17-2012, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Wood View Post

Hmm, interesting.
By "other" remote, do you mean another Universal?
Thanks Slanton.

Yes, but it seems as though you figured it out. Next fun exercise: try and put a 'pause' in the macro to create a 'dual function' key.
1) short press you select the function
2) long press you launch the macro

very cool wink.gif

B&O TX2 Turntable
Pioneer CLD-99 Elite LD
Optoma HD65 Projector
post #114 of 144 Old 07-18-2012, 11:11 AM

Will do. Thanks Slaton
post #115 of 144 Old 09-16-2012, 09:13 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I know we can't talk price here, but there seems to be some pretty good deals on this remote out there. My Harmony 659 is dying after seven years. Its been great, very tough (survived a few drops on tile floor). I am concerned that the new Harmony remotes are not built as well.

Even though the R50 has been replaced, is it worth picking up? I know it is not programmed on a PC. I have seven devices, nothing really exotic either.

Jeffer65
post #116 of 144 Old 09-16-2012, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I don't think the urc-r50 will handle many drops, I have seen many R50 and mx-450 with white screens, taken apart the membrane connecting the lcd screen had ripped.
post #117 of 144 Old 09-16-2012, 12:54 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffer65 View Post

I know we can't talk price here, but there seems to be some pretty good deals on this remote out there. My Harmony 659 is dying after seven years. Its been great, very tough (survived a few drops on tile floor). I am concerned that the new Harmony remotes are not built as well. Even though the R50 has been replaced, is it worth picking up? I know it is not programmed on a PC. I have seven devices, nothing really exotic either.

I had an R50 briefly but returned it for the newer R40 and i like the R40 much better, even at twice the price. Here's some info i posted somewhere (don't remember if it was on AVS or Remote Central).....

R50 has the ability to hide/un-hide screen icons, but the R40 does not.

The R40 has macro editing capability, but the R50 does not.

R40 has the ability to relocate Device icons on the Main Screen and relocate Function icons on the individual devices' screens, but in both cases an icon can only be swapped with another existing icon and cannot be moved into a blank space on the screens so you should carefully consider exactly where you want to place your device icons on the Main Screen before you begin programming the remote. Some users may want to place their primary devices on the first page of the Main Screen, while others will create their devices on page 2 or page 3 of the Main Screen then use page 1 to store their activies and/or macros.

Once a device has been created in a blank space on the Main Screen, the only way to make that space blank again is to delete that device completely. A work-around for restoring a space to blank is to create a "fake" device on page 2 or page 3, swap this new fake device with the device that's occupying the space you want to make blank, then delete that new fake device and that will leave that space blank.

R40 adds 4 colored "Favorites" hard keys that are intended to be used to store favorite channels, but they can instead be used to place macros on, or taught to perform other commands (like volume or slow motion etc). If you use them for macros, the macro only works when you're inside a particular device. For instance when i'm in Tivo watching mode, i created a press and hold macro on the yellow "News" key on the far right to switch to watch my TWC DVR. Then when i'm in TWC DVR watching mode, i created a macro on the far left key to switch back to Tivo mode.

The discontinued R50 is selling for roughly half the price of the new R40 on Amazon and EBay etc, but to me the better design and ergonomics and overall feel are worth it to me, but probably not for everybody.

The button ergonomics and overall feel in-hand are much better on the R40. The R50's Volume and Channel buttons, and FF/Rew Transport buttons are lower than the face of the remote and it felt weird and ungainly in my hand. I returned my R50 primarily for this reason (among others), and i much prefer the R40's design, feel, and more conventional button location. I only had the R50 for less than a week so i didn't fully explore it, but if there are any other differences between the two then i'm not aware of them and i haven't spotted anything else in the various reviews and posts so i think i covered them all.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #118 of 144 Old 09-16-2012, 10:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I just bought the R50 as my first URC after my Monster AVL300 had several buttons stop working within one year (including Control Components and navigate Right). Before the Monster I had a $60 Harmony 360 remote which was perfect and lasted 4 years.

I have been working on it for days and have concluded it is terrible. You are essentially forced to Learn every button for every device because the database method is so worthless -- going through a series of unlabeled number codes for your manufacturer until the equipment turns off; then hit Test; then see if Menu, Up, Power On work; if so, Save the settings (a 20 second wait), then go into your device and see if any of the other buttons actually work or if it has the correct soft buttons set up for all of your inputs, etc; if it does not happen to perfectly match your device, start over.

So with the help of a spreadsheet (vital) and my other remote, I thought I could brute-force my way through, but nope. It can't learn, or learns only erratically, the signals for my MCE keyboard, which I use to send keystrokes to the PC to control XBMC. It will learn a couple, but not many more. Or it will learn a few to one device slot, and a few different ones to another device slot, but not the same ones to each, or all to any. It's become laughable. Similarly, it took many tries to learn (from my original remotes) the Up key for my projector, the Right key for my cable box, and many other functions -- even though in each case the remote said "Good - Saving" when I Learned the function. You don't know it didn't work until you exit back out of the setup menus and then go back into the device and try it.

The learning function is horribly erratic and there is literally no way to get the functionality I need out of it. This one will be going back, unless there is some secret trick I'm missing, which is entirely possible given the fact that the entirety of the documentation, either packaged or online, is a one-page "quick start" sheet.

I should also mention that the IR is less powerful and needs to be aimed much more precisely than either the Harmony or the Monster.

It's sad that the $60 new Harmony 360 remote did everything I needed it to, was lightweight and comfortable, and had (imo) the ideal array of buttons, while all these other far more expensive remotes can't deliver. Even sadder is that no one seems to have a PC-programmable remote with the functionality of the Harmony for under $200 now, including Harmony themselves.

/rant :P
post #119 of 144 Old 09-17-2012, 04:37 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Thanks for the replies. Guess I will stick with a Harmony.

Jeffer65
post #120 of 144 Old 10-05-2012, 09:37 AM

Liked: 13
Just joined this forum after reading this R50 thread.

I've had mine since January, and I've been very happy with it. I've been able to program it to do everything I need (although my system isn't all that complex - HDTV, surround sound, Blu-Ray and DVD players). The macros are straightforward to do (although I'm an IT geek). I've only changed the batteries once since January.

It's true that their Manual is a joke. But Daniel Tonk's 15-screen web review at remotecentral turns out to be a good Manual. (No one in this thread has actually said this.) The only thing I don't like about it is that I can't do a backup of the setup (no connectivity to a computer) and I shudder to think about replicating it if it ever breaks. Fortunately it seems to have a good reputation for reliability. One other quirk that I didn't see mentioned here is that the buttons tied to the LCD screen don't work when the screen is off - you have to push the button once to wake the unit up then again to execute the command. This is not true of the rest of the hard buttons, just the LCD screen buttons.

I would buy this unit again.

Ted
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Urc

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page