Urc r50 - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 144 Old 03-07-2013, 01:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone been able to program the URC R50 to control the volume up/down and mute for the Samsung E450 sound bar?

I have power on/off working but that's it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 144 Old 03-07-2013, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Could there be punch through enabled blocking the volume keys? Try punching through volume keys from that device to that device, then reteach.
post #123 of 144 Old 03-07-2013, 03:17 PM

Thanks Edmond - unfortunately I'm a novice and not familiar with 'punch through' however ... a poster on the previous page provided this link http://www.remotecentral.com/reviews/urc_r50/index6.htm. I tried the 'inside device' thing eek.gif and that appeared to be my problem. My LCD screen goes totally blank but the volume works and I'm good with that. I'm so totally pumped that the volume works now I forgot to even try mute.tongue.gif

Huge thank you for taking the time to offer some advice!! Next - try to program macros and then teach my husband how to use this remote (we've only had it for 3 or 4 years already).biggrin.gif

Step 1: Bookmark that link above and hope it never goes away - or find a way to print all the instructions and guidance the owner has provided - totally invaluable!
post #124 of 144 Old 03-07-2013, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Making the vol buttons control another device besides the tv (like a sound bar or receiver for example) is called punch through or volume lock.
post #125 of 144 Old 03-07-2013, 04:01 PM

thanks
post #126 of 144 Old 04-09-2013, 02:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Can the R50 and R40 control IR lights and dim them as well?

post #127 of 144 Old 04-09-2013, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Anyone know?

post #128 of 144 Old 04-09-2013, 04:38 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by mijotter View Post

Anyone know?

It would be helpful if you tell us what kind/brand of dimmable lighting system you have so we can look for it in the list.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #129 of 144 Old 04-09-2013, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

my apologies.

http://www.smarthome.com/2477D/SwitchLinc-INSTEON-Remote-Control-Dimmer-Dual-Band-White/p.aspx

http://www.smarthome.com/2472DWH/OutletLinc-Dimmer-INSTEON-Remote-Control-Outlet-Dual-Band-White/p.aspx

I'm torn between the Harmony 890 and the R40. The Harmony 900 is gone because of the steep price and inability to do sequencing. In my setup, My A/V equipment will be in a cabinet in the front of the room and I will also have 2 fish tanks in the wall with the outlets on the adjacent rooms wall. What would need to be done and bought to control these other than the R40 remote? Thanks.

post #130 of 144 Old 04-10-2013, 11:38 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by journey4life View Post

Step 1: Bookmark that link above and hope it never goes away - or find a way to print all the instructions and guidance the owner has provided - totally invaluable!

I took the time to convert it to a Word File. Send me a Private Message here with your email address and I'll send it to you. (Mouse over my name on the left here, then click on Send PM.)

Ted
post #131 of 144 Old 04-12-2013, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Anyone?

post #132 of 144 Old 04-15-2013, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mijotter View Post

my apologies.

http://www.smarthome.com/2477D/SwitchLinc-INSTEON-Remote-Control-Dimmer-Dual-Band-White/p.aspx

http://www.smarthome.com/2472DWH/OutletLinc-Dimmer-INSTEON-Remote-Control-Outlet-Dual-Band-White/p.aspx

I'm torn between the Harmony 890 and the R40. The Harmony 900 is gone because of the steep price and inability to do sequencing. In my setup, My A/V equipment will be in a cabinet in the front of the room and I will also have 2 fish tanks in the wall with the outlets on the adjacent rooms wall. What would need to be done and bought to control these other than the R40 remote? Thanks.

/Bump

post #133 of 144 Old 04-15-2013, 11:10 PM
AVS Special Member

No, the URC r50 will not communicate directly with those fixtures. Look for an IR device that does communicate with them, and then you might be able teach the r50 the commands.
post #134 of 144 Old 04-15-2013, 11:19 PM
AVS Special Member

post #135 of 144 Old 04-16-2013, 01:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes, that would do it.
post #136 of 144 Old 04-16-2013, 10:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Is there an RF module that goes well with the R40 for controlling equipment in a cabinet?

post #137 of 144 Old 07-30-2013, 12:01 PM

Liked: 11
I got this remote on ebay. After some serious trial and error, I finally got my components programmed. It took a while to find the "right" codes for them. One thing I realized is you have to check other buttons to test the code other than the ones recommended by the screen instructions. In particular, the skip buttons for the DVD/Bluray players...even then, the internal menu might not look quite right. I have them as close as I'm gonna...then I used the learning instructions to complete it.

As far as macros. I ultimately decided to use the main menu buttons. One for turning my cable system on. Another to turn off. Another to turn my bluray on. Another to turn off and switch back to cable. 2 more to switch my CD player on and off. And finally a button to switch off the cable system entirely. I just like having the macros on the main screen instead of internal to one of the components. Heck, I don't have 18 components anyway.

So far, I love it. It took a lot of time, but I can't say it was hard once I started to get adjusted. Not sure about using the punch through. I don't think I'll really need to use it...except regarding the audio. I did use it to make sure my volume/mute buttons defaulted to the surround sound receiver.
post #138 of 144 Old 07-31-2013, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyeur View Post

So far, I love it. It took a lot of time, but I can't say it was hard once I started to get adjusted. Not sure about using the punch through. I don't think I'll really need to use it...except regarding the audio. I did use it to make sure my volume/mute buttons defaulted to the surround sound receiver.

I found the punch through to be quirky back when I programmed mine but maybe I didn't do it right. Nevertheless I'm with you - I love mine and once I was on a roll, programming it was easy. The only thing about it that bothers me is that there's no computer interface so we can't back up the programming. I hate to think about re-doing it if my R50 quits.

Ted
post #139 of 144 Old 07-31-2013, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post

I found the punch through to be quirky back when I programmed mine but maybe I didn't do it right. Nevertheless I'm with you - I love mine and once I was on a roll, programming it was easy. The only thing about it that bothers me is that there's no computer interface so we can't back up the programming. I hate to think about re-doing it if my R50 quits.

Ted
Well, hopefully this remote lasts. I love the heft and how durable it feels. Some of those Harmony remotes felt a little....cheap to me. This feels rock solid. If I have to replace it, then it won't be the first time I had to start all over with programming.
post #140 of 144 Old 07-31-2013, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyeur View Post

Well, hopefully this remote lasts. I love the heft and how durable it feels. Some of those Harmony remotes felt a little....cheap to me. This feels rock solid. If I have to replace it, then it won't be the first time I had to start all over with programming.

I've had mine for a year and a half and it's holding up well (although it doesn't get a huge amount of use - I'm not a TV user but not an addict).

I'm a senior manager in an IT company so it wouldn't be the first time for me to re-do a code set either. But I also know better than most folks how unnecessary re-doing it should be. A USB connection to a simple software interface isn't rocket science - that's been available on cell phones from the beginning. Yes, I know that the pro series URC remotes are all set up using a computer but they're in a different price range and anyway that doesn't mean the consumer remotes can't have a backup/restore capability.
post #141 of 144 Old 07-31-2013, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've had mine for a year and a half and it's holding up well (although it doesn't get a huge amount of use - I'm not a TV user but not an addict).

I'm a senior manager in an IT company so it wouldn't be the first time for me to re-do a code set either. But I also know better than most folks how unnecessary re-doing it should be. A USB connection to a simple software interface isn't rocket science - that's been available on cell phones from the beginning. Yes, I know that the pro series URC remotes are all set up using a computer but they're in a different price range and anyway that doesn't mean the consumer remotes can't have a backup/restore capability.

They do have consumer remote with backup features, its the mx-450. And older models like mx-350 & mx-650 could back up there contents via the pcl300.
post #142 of 144 Old 08-01-2013, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund View Post

They do have consumer remote with backup features, its the mx-450. And older models like mx-350 & mx-650 could back up there contents via the pcl300.

Hmmm. Thanks - I had thought the 450 required the URC professional programming software but looking at their web site I see it doesn't.

Have you used the backup software? Does it only do backup and restore, or can you actually program the remote through the software? I understand that it is normally programmed on the unit, like the R50, but after doing that once I suspect I'd rather program it thru software...
post #143 of 144 Old 08-01-2013, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hmmm. Thanks - I had thought the 450 required the URC professional programming software but looking at their web site I see it doesn't.

Have you used the backup software? Does it only do backup and restore, or can you actually program the remote through the software? I understand that it is normally programmed on the unit, like the R50, but after doing that once I suspect I'd rather program it thru software...

Yes, I have used the mx-450 archiver, it allows you to back up your setup, and it even updates the code database, but no you can not program the remote via your computer.
post #144 of 144 Old 08-31-2013, 08:25 AM

I'm surprised so few people have this remote on this site. Anyway, I finally programmed my favorite channels. It's pretty nifty, but I'm a bit disappointed it didn't have the emblems of certain channels like BBC America....

...then I realized I probably will never even use the favorite channel buttons since I use my guide most of the time anyway. LOL
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Urc

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page