Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 144 Old 11-13-2008, 06:36 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks for the linky. Yeah it looks like a very cool remote unfortunately I can't seem to get my filthy paws on them! If I can find them in the supply chain I'll be happy to re-post... in the meantime it looks like you guys that are hungry for one will have to wait on line at the local Best Buy

Jim

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 144 Old 11-14-2008, 07:50 AM

Liked: 10
I picked this up last night. I am comming from a Harmony 890. So I was use to the computer setup to setup the actually remote. Well this remote is very light. It had all components in the wizard except for the Nintendo Wii. I was kinda weird adding game systems. There was no option for game systems at all. I had to choose Aux. Also when setting up my Denon Receiver it took a little time to get it to work. Now this setup was all done with the remotes LCD. Now this is where I need everyones help. I am having trouble setting up the Macros. Like I want to pre xbox360 and Have it turn on the xbox change the tv to HDMI 2 and have the receiver change to DVP all in one press but its too confusing to do. I also want to do a power off all. Is there some that can help me with this? I am new to Macros.
O let me point out one cool feature of this remote. The copy and past fucntion. Basically you can copy the volume controls from the receiver and paste it to cable and xbox. So it always uses the receiver to raise and lower the volume. I also did that with the cable to change channels. All in all I love this remote. I love the way the buttons feels. I didnt like the plastic buttons on the Harmony remote which are non-responisive and I think it is because they are palstic. Basically I have to push the volume very hard just for it to work. With the URC the buttons are rubber and feels better. The only draw back of this remote really is no recharge batteries it runs off of 4 AA batteries.
post #4 of 144 Old 11-14-2008, 04:54 PM

I picked up this remote today as well. I'm used to my harmony 550, and honestly, I'm missing the PC set up. I have partly set up my macros...

hold the main key for a few seconds,
Advanced Setup
Macros
On Main Menu
Pick a button (of a device you've created, can rename it later something like "watch Directv")
at this point, select your devices and what you want them to do in the order you want them to do it, just press the buttons. I would do the root device last. (if it's watch directv, do your tv, then your surround, then directv, that way the watch directv menu will be displayed when the macro is finished, and you'll have all your source options on the LCD.

this works for me, although I would love this remote to turn off the devices I don't need once another macro is selected. also, I can't figure out how to power off everything on one button push. I can already tell that the remote is not smart enough to know what is on and what's not. this lack of feature might be what drives me back to the harmony....

I'll take any help I can get here, and I'll share what I find. I do find it nuts that this remote is not even on "www.universalremote.com" yet.

Erik
post #5 of 144 Old 11-15-2008, 09:07 AM

***UPDATE*** v.2

I've spent a lot of time with this remote this morning, and I have it working for me the way I want it to. I do however think I haven't set it up the "right" way.

I reset to factory defaults for a clean start.
I added devices (but named them as if they were activities). after all my activities were added, I added all of my devices.

Then I went through the process of setting up my macros. Selecting macros on my main device, then using those activity buttons I set up in step one.

Once all those macros are set. You can use the copy/paste feature to set the volume control for all devices. I use a surround receiver for all my volume, so I copied it's volume group to all devices.

EDIT!!!* this is not working now. I re-set everything, and now power off all is not working.*
Then I copied the power off from my tv device, (i used my tv because I know it has a separate "power off" not just a power toggle command).

Right now I'm pretty happy with how it's working. It's honestly not much different in the way it functions over my harmony 550, it of course, just looks nicer and the IR seems to be stronger. (I know beam is beam, but it seems to work better than the harmony).

hope this helps. I will be interested to know the recommended process for this, but for now, I can hand this over to my wife with little to no explaining.
post #6 of 144 Old 11-16-2008, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgoeson4ever View Post

***UPDATE*** v.2

I've spent a lot of time with this remote this morning, and I have it working for me the way I want it to. I do however think I haven't set it up the "right" way.

I reset to factory defaults for a clean start.
I added devices (but named them as if they were activities). after all my activities were added, I added all of my devices.

Then I went through the process of setting up my macros. Selecting macros on my main device, then using those activity buttons I set up in step one.

Once all those macros are set. You can use the copy/paste feature to set the volume control for all devices. I use a surround receiver for all my volume, so I copied it's volume group to all devices.

EDIT!!!* this is not working now. I re-set everything, and now power off all is not working.*
Then I copied the power off from my tv device, (i used my tv because I know it has a separate "power off" not just a power toggle command).

Right now I'm pretty happy with how it's working. It's honestly not much different in the way it functions over my harmony 550, it of course, just looks nicer and the IR seems to be stronger. (I know beam is beam, but it seems to work better than the harmony).

hope this helps. I will be interested to know the recommended process for this, but for now, I can hand this over to my wife with little to no explaining.

Hey I still get confused setting up the Macros. Do you use on LCD or On Device. I wish there was a walk threw on how to do it easily. Do you mind helping me I really like this remote but I was the ALL OFF, If I press Xbox I want it to switch the tv to HDMI and switch receiver to HDMI 2 and power on Xbox on all at one time. Do you mind helping me out. I also just noticed that for my receiver that the power on button turns on and off my receiver. But again the original remote for the reciever has a single button for powering on and turning off the reciever. I wish Unverisal would give you a sample like full power off system so we can have a sample of how to set it up correctly.
post #7 of 144 Old 11-16-2008, 05:40 PM

I'll be glad to try and help.
Remember, I set up my activities in the "Basic Setup" area. I created them as if they were actual devices. It doesn't matter what category and brand you select, as all you want to do create the button. (this is the part I think is not quite right, but it's working for me.)

Once you have created your LCD button, ie. watch directv, watch HDDVD, etc and your actual device buttons, you can then go to "advanced Setup" and do your macros.

I do on "main menu"
I pick my "activity button" and that's when the recording starts. Here's an example of one of mine.
Once recording starts:
i hit TV then Power On, then Input the #4(this is how my tv changes inputs)
Hit Main (this will take you back to select another component)
I then hit AV receiver, then Power on, then Video 2
hit main
I then hit DirecTV, power on,
then hit Done.

This has created a macro for my "Watch Directv" LCD button. You should go through the remote once you've added your devices and write down the steps you have to take to do the things you want to do. then when you come down to recording the macros, you'll have it all written out.

I still haven't figured out the power off all yet. I have created a macro for the "Off" hard button that should send the power off command to everyone of my devices. I even copied my "power off" from my tv to my HDdvd player which didn't have one. I sure wish I knew what I did yesterday to make it work for those 10 minutes.

I plan on calling URC tomorrow for some guidance, I plan on asking why there's no mention of this remote on their website as well...

I have seen where there's two reviews on Best Buy.com with guys who say they had their remotes set up in 30 minutes to a hour. I wonder if that means macros and all....
post #8 of 144 Old 11-17-2008, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgoeson4ever View Post

I'll be glad to try and help.
Remember, I set up my activities in the "Basic Setup" area. I created them as if they were actual devices. It doesn't matter what category and brand you select, as all you want to do create the button. (this is the part I think is not quite right, but it's working for me.)

Once you have created your LCD button, ie. watch directv, watch HDDVD, etc and your actual device buttons, you can then go to "advanced Setup" and do your macros.

I do on "main menu"
I pick my "activity button" and that's when the recording starts. Here's an example of one of mine.
Once recording starts:
i hit TV then Power On, then Input the #4(this is how my tv changes inputs)
Hit Main (this will take you back to select another component)
I then hit AV receiver, then Power on, then Video 2
hit main
I then hit DirecTV, power on,
then hit Done.

This has created a macro for my "Watch Directv" LCD button. You should go through the remote once you've added your devices and write down the steps you have to take to do the things you want to do. then when you come down to recording the macros, you'll have it all written out.

I still haven't figured out the power off all yet. I have created a macro for the "Off" hard button that should send the power off command to everyone of my devices. I even copied my "power off" from my tv to my HDdvd player which didn't have one. I sure wish I knew what I did yesterday to make it work for those 10 minutes.

I plan on calling URC tomorrow for some guidance, I plan on asking why there's no mention of this remote on their website as well...

I have seen where there's two reviews on Best Buy.com with guys who say they had their remotes set up in 30 minutes to a hour. I wonder if that means macros and all....

Ok so you have to hit the main button to setup the next component. Ok thats where I was stuck I would choose the first option then I didnt know where to go from there.
You know what I noticed that even though I can control my Denon reciever it doesnt show the correct options for it. Like it does list DVD and for the power on power off I have to use only the power on to do both which sometimes makes it confusing. I have to reset that one up. I try tonight and hopeful it will work. I have seen other review but they have all been say the only negative things are that it runs on double AA's and that it is expensive. I also read the best buy reviews and I think they only did a Basic without Macros. You thinkg I can setup the Wii to turn on with the system or do you think that I can setup a dummy button that says wii and will switch everything for me and all I have to do is power on the Wii.
post #9 of 144 Old 11-17-2008, 01:18 PM

My guess for your Denon receiver is that you have a code that will obviously work, but it's not a code for your specific model. This is one problem I have seen and I don't like it. I would much rather tell the remote (or my computer like my harmony) my model number and let it program specifically for that. The way it's set up now, you just have to do the wizard, then go see if it adds the feature buttons you need, if not, then do the wizard again and go to a different code.

I don't have a wii, but I believe it's just like my PS3, in that the remotes are bluetooth. That being the case, you just have to set up an activity for Play Wii, macro that to turn on your TV and reciever then just pick up your wii mote and turn it on. That's how I have my PS3 set up.

I emailed URC this morning and haven't heard anything back. I do plan on trying to call when I get home and have the remote in hand. I'll relay any info they share.
post #10 of 144 Old 11-18-2008, 08:40 AM

Here's the latest...

I called URC when I got home yesterday afternoon. An actual person answered the phone and transferred me right over to tech support. I was very surprised at how easily i got to support.

My main questions at this point were how to configure my power off button. I found that you can not configure the "hard" power off button to only power off devices that are one, the remote is not smart enough to know what is on and what is not. "Supposedly" you can program a macro for that "Hard" power button to power off whatever devices you want.

Here's what I tried (without luck):
advanced set up
macros
on main device
select "Hard Power Off" button
hit directv, power off, main...
hit TV, Power off, Pause (which is supposed to create a .5 second delay for each time you press it) then pause again for a total of 1 second delay main...
hit AV Receiver, power off, pause, pause, pause, pause (2second delay).
then done.

This does not work!

at this point, i hit "watch directv"
this turns on my tv, directv, and av reciever and leaves the "WatchDirectv" screen on the remote. this screen has the options for my Directv device.

If i hit the Hard power off at this point, it only turns off my directv receiver, and will then turn it back on if I hit the button again.

If i hit main then the hard power off button, my tv will turn off, then back on if hit the button again.

Essentially, it doesn't seem to take the macro that I set for the hard button (i have tried erasing and re-doing)

For the time being, i have created an activity called "power off" and created a macro that of course sends the power off to my tv, directv, and av receiver. i'll just have to manually turn off my HD-DVD player, which hardly ever gets used anyway.
post #11 of 144 Old 12-24-2008, 06:39 PM
Advanced Member

I just picked one for my inlaws and I cant program activities, Ishould have bought a Harmony!!!!
post #12 of 144 Old 12-30-2008, 07:36 AM
Advanced Member

I am done with this remote, I should have gotten a Harmony in the first place. Especially for my inlaws who will be calling for help routinely.
post #13 of 144 Old 01-09-2009, 05:15 PM

Those of you who are owner of this remote, can you confirm if it is back lit? I tried out the remote in a BB store and liked the feel for it, but not sure how good it is

I have Radio Shack 15-2117 remote which I love, but unfortunately its dying. I tried Harmony 880 but did not like it, as I had continually look down, because the buttons were small and the back lit was bad. With RS 15-2117 I could also use the JP1 to do macro programming. I would like to hear for those who own this remote if it will be comparable in its functionality to RS 15-2117. Appreciate any feed back on pros and con.

Thanks.

Plasmahidef
post #14 of 144 Old 02-02-2009, 08:40 AM

will this support ps3 and an ipod dock?
post #15 of 144 Old 02-02-2009, 11:33 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraserb2 View Post

will this support ps3 and an ipod dock?

If you're iPod Dock uses an infrared remote now than you can teach the R50 the commands and yes it will work. No remote will work with the PS3 without an adapter of some kind. Sorry for the shameless plug but this article should tell you just about everything you need to know of about 90% of the PS3 control options out there

http://www.remoteshoppe.com/index.php?itemid=803

Jim

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #16 of 144 Old 02-02-2009, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashridharani View Post

Those of you who are owner of this remote, can you confirm if it is back lit? I tried out the remote in a BB store and liked the feel for it, but not sure how good it is

I have Radio Shack 15-2117 remote which I love, but unfortunately its dying. I tried Harmony 880 but did not like it, as I had continually look down, because the buttons were small and the back lit was bad. With RS 15-2117 I could also use the JP1 to do macro programming. I would like to hear for those who own this remote if it will be comparable in its functionality to RS 15-2117. Appreciate any feed back on pros and con.

Thanks.

Obviously, your 2117 isn't even in the same league as the R50. However, in spite of that, if a simple master power off macro is difficult on the R50 (something that can be done in about 15 seconds with JP1), I think you'd really miss the power and flexibility you have today. And unlike your 2117, the R50 isn't RF. I know of very few JP1ers who've been able to go back to an unhacked remote. Believe me, I've tried. The odds are against you, so make sure you're able to return it.

If you end up replacing your 2117 with something similar, the 15-100 is the latest generation of the 2117. Problem is, JP1 pins are missing and a little tricky to add yourself (I've done it myself, but it's a PITA). The One-For-All URC-9910 (RF/IR) or 8910 (IR only) is the generation prior to the 15-100, complete with JP1 pins that would work with the cable you already have. There are a couple for sale at hifi-remote.com/forums marketplace and on ebay.

post #17 of 144 Old 03-09-2009, 10:29 AM

I finally got all the commands working with the harmony on all my devices (two which didn't have OEM remotes), but the macro's just never work the way they should and continue to ruin the HT experience (lack of matching the correct devices for volume control, failing to switch on/off sometimes)

There's no point in getting another harmony as the software will be the same.

looking around the URC-R50 was the best consumer self programing system I found.

given that I have all the remote codes in my current harmony, I'd have the tedious task of learning codes for some really old gear, but if it allows me to control the macro properly, I'll be sold.

just only found one review and it was glowing.

curious how fast the response time is for this R50? the Harmony 880 even when delay is set to 0 was SLOW at times.
post #18 of 144 Old 03-11-2009, 07:03 AM

I have had this remote for about a week now and really like most of it. In reading this thread, I see a lot of folks had trouble building macros that turned everything off. With this particular remote, you have to find the discreet on/off codes for all your devices. What these are are codes that turn something on and a different code that turns it off. The R50 has a lot of them built in. You then program all the discreet power off codes to the main power off key. When you add your device from the database, scan the lcd keys it builds. If you find a power on and a seperate power off lcd button, those are your discreets. Copy those to your actual hard key for the device and then build your macro for all off from the main screen. You don't want everything going off any time the off button is hit. Or, build in a delay to those keys.

As far as delay time. Most of the time it is good. The only probem I am having is when the remote powers off, the first time you hit the key it turns the remote back on then you have to hit it again. This doesn't happen all the time for some reason. I read that this only happens on learned keys, but I am finding it on programmed keys as well. I need to study it more and find a pattern. At first, I didn't like the arrangement of the ff and rew keys. For keys you use a lot you would think they would be bigger and better placed. But after using it for a week it has become a non issue. At first, I found it difficult to just touch the ff and rew without pressing another key, but it seems to know which one you want. Not sure how but like I said, it is a non issue now.

For less than $100, I think this is really a great remote. Sure there are ones that are easier to program, but so what. That's part of the fun. I have had it a week and I change something on it everday. I can do this and then try it immediately and don't have to connect it to anything. You don't even have to read an instruction manual. It is all there on the screen. All I need to do is figure out why I have to double press sometimes and other times I don't.
post #19 of 144 Old 03-14-2009, 07:44 PM

Bought one and tried it out for a couple of weeks. I could get by with almost everything else except the ergonomics. The ff/rw keys are really badly placed and too small. Also, you can't keep your hand in one place to get the transport keys and the volume/channel keys. You have to slide your hand up and down the remote to use these two crucial sets of hard buttons. I have 3 MX-500s (yes, I like them) and thought this was my chance to have two things I thought I wanted:
  1. A Color Screen
  2. Unlimited macros
The color screen really isn't a big deal, as you don't really want to look down all the time. And actually, while being able to make any button a macro is cool and all, I find that I miss dedicated M1, M2, M3 buttons.

But the ergonomics killed it for me. I sent it back already.

Jay W

Check here later for a thoughtful, funny, profound .sig line.
post #20 of 144 Old 03-16-2009, 09:00 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayw View Post

Bought one and tried it out for a couple of weeks. I could get by with almost everything else except the ergonomics. The ff/rw keys are really badly placed and too small. Also, you can't keep your hand in one place to get the transport keys and the volume/channel keys. You have to slide your hand up and down the remote to use these two crucial sets of hard buttons. I have 3 MX-500s (yes, I like them) and thought this was my chance to have two things I thought I wanted:
  1. A Color Screen
  2. Unlimited macros
The color screen really isn't a big deal, as you don't really want to look down all the time. And actually, while being able to make any button a macro is cool and all, I find that I miss dedicated M1, M2, M3 buttons.

But the ergonomics killed it for me. I sent it back already.

Jay W

I guess I am much more shallow because I don't think I could live without the color screen. I need that WOW factor when friends and family are over ;-)

I actually wanted to point out though... if you miss the M1, M2, M3 buttons than you can just program these macros to the screen at the top and actually give them more logical names than M1, M2... I have set-up the R50 with Watch TV, DVD buttons right on the main screen

Jim

post #21 of 144 Old 03-19-2009, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member

I think I've finally set my R50 the way I wanted, and the Harmony 550 can go to the dumpster. My setup (HTPC, receiver, plasma display) is quite straightforward as everything is controled through the HTPC except volume and power, but I think the process can be applied to more complex situations. I always wanted to control the entire system (no matter how complex) as one coherent unit using one remote with buttons in natural positions controlling the correct device -- I don't want to switch between devices and activities. The way I do this is copy and paste groups of buttons to the Main and Favorite screens (volume from the receiver and everything else from the HTPC), and defining the On and Off buttons to power all the devices.

Harmony 550 and URC-R50.

Actions on the main screen - these are actually devices (doesn't matter which ones - they're never used), but macros do the required action. The last step in each macro is always the MAIN button press, so the screen doesn't change. The selection of images is very limited, though. Also I find it very limiting that the labels are limited to 7 letters per line, even though 10 or more can easily fit.

Actual devices - they are on the third page as they're not intended for normal use, and I may hide them later. Note that there are multiple devices for Microsoft Media Center HTPC and the Sony Receiver as the presets are not complete on a single device. I was also very pleased that the presets had discrete ON/OFF codes for the Panasonic 7UY plasma display, which I wasn't able to find anywhere, and thought didn't exist at all.

Media Center factory presets -- pretty unusable:

Favorite Channels - kinda gimmicky, as the keystrokes are transmitted slowly, but it does work. What's interesting is that it can store a lot more macros (as long as they are single device, which in my setup is quite possible)

LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #22 of 144 Old 03-19-2009, 12:37 PM

Is there an official R50 owners thread yet?
post #23 of 144 Old 03-19-2009, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Good point: I can't believe one wasn't created. When it is, someone should put the "make the first Macro command a pause" secret in to make dual-function device keys.

Yamaha DSP-A1 Integrated Amp
(4) Polk Monitor 10B's w/SoniCaps and Mills resistors (R/L F/R)
(2) Polk Monitor 4's w/peerless tweets (dual centers)
B&O TX2 Turntable
Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
Pioneer CLD-99 Elite LD
Samsung BD-P2550 Blu-Ray/DVD
Princeton AF3.0HD Monitor
Optoma HD65 Projector
post #24 of 144 Old 03-20-2009, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Guys, may I ask how the backlight is activated. I don't see a backlight button anywhere on the remote in the pics.
post #25 of 144 Old 03-20-2009, 01:14 PM
Advanced Member

There's a button on the side. You can read a very informative review here: http://www.remotecentral.com/reviews/urc_r50/index.html

post #26 of 144 Old 03-20-2009, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member

By the way, you can program more complex macros on the Favorites screen, not only single device ones using numbers 1-9: Just learn or assign macros to the number keys on one of the fake devices (if you do it like I did, there should be plenty), then use that device and the number in the favorite channel definition.
post #27 of 144 Old 03-21-2009, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ79 View Post

There's a button on the side. You can read a very informative review here: http://www.remotecentral.com/reviews/urc_r50/index.html

Thx a lot. Last time I was at remotecentral they hadn't reviewed it yet.
post #28 of 144 Old 03-23-2009, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
They've had a huge review on it for over a month: are you on the same website? That's basically what led me to buy it (and I'm happy I did)!

Yamaha DSP-A1 Integrated Amp
(4) Polk Monitor 10B's w/SoniCaps and Mills resistors (R/L F/R)
(2) Polk Monitor 4's w/peerless tweets (dual centers)
B&O TX2 Turntable
Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
Pioneer CLD-99 Elite LD
Samsung BD-P2550 Blu-Ray/DVD
Princeton AF3.0HD Monitor
Optoma HD65 Projector
post #29 of 144 Old 03-26-2009, 12:33 PM

anyone know how to program macros on the Fav buttons? can it be done?
u can tell me or just post a link to instructions. i'll keep searching in the mean time.
thanks in advance!
post #30 of 144 Old 03-26-2009, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member

Favorite channel macros must consist of numbers 0-9, ., ENTER, and possibly PAUSE (not sure), and they must all be on a single device. My proof of concept:

- create a new device; it doesn't matter which type, manufacturer, or code -- it will never be used directly
- assign a (regular) macro to one of the buttons 0-9 on the newly created device;
- enter that number in the favorite channel definition
- hide the newly created device
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Urc

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page