Next Gen Remote Control Extender and Dish Network DVR VIP-612 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 11-13-2008, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone used the Next Generation Remote Control extender with Dish Network DVR VIP-612? For some reason, the Harmony 550 works when I do not use the Next Generation Remote Control extender but works otherwise.

Please help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-13-2008, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by an2005 View Post

... For some reason, the Harmony 550 works when I do not use the Next Generation Remote Control extender but works otherwise.

a) I don't understand the wording of the question.
b) I don't know what a "Next Generation Remote Control extender" is.

But ... I bet the answer is that your Dish Receiver is not set up on IR ch 1 and your Harmony remote during setup figured that out but you "Next Generation Remote Control extender" is not capable of operating on other than IR Ch 1.

EDIT: I mistakenly referred to IR Channel 1. I meant IR Address 1.
post #3 of 11 Old 11-13-2008, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. I will try that. Sorry if I was not clear in my earlier mail.

Let me try and explain it better.

I plan to keep my Dish Network DVR VIP 612 out of sight inside a closet. I could still use the remote provided with the DVR but planned on using the Harmony 550 to control all the components. In order for this setup to work, I planned to use the product http://estore.websitepros.com/1373698/Detail.bok?no=8. This product has IR emitter eyes that can be attached to the sensors on your components and the base unit emits an RF signal. A battery type thing is provided with this base unit that can be installed in the Harmony remote instead of a real battery. This "pseudo battery" transmits an RF signal to the base unit which in turn transmits an IR signal to the component.

So, the problem I am facing is if I do not connect the IR emitter from the base unit to the DVR and just try to directly control the DVR using the Harmony remote, it works fine. The IR Channel on the System Information screen on the DVR says it is 2 and besides the number it says "IR".
Now, if I connect the eye from the base to the DVR IR sensor and install the "pseudo battery" in the Harmony remote and try to control the DVR, it just does not respond to any buttons.

The DVR has 3 IR sensors in a row. Is it sufficient to just connect the eye on one of these IR sensors or should I try to cover all three?

I will try the suggestion of changing the IR channel to 1.

Thanks for the help.
post #4 of 11 Old 11-13-2008, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

I checked the 'System Information' again. The Harmony 550 is working with Remote Address set to 2 and it says IR next to it. But with that setting, when I try using the IR eye, the Harmony 550 does not work. If I change the 'Remote Address' to 1, it says IR/UHF Pro Band A next to it and the Harmony 550 does not work. I will try using the IR eye using this setting. Maybe, the 550 does not work directly with this setting but it will work with the IR eye??
post #5 of 11 Old 11-14-2008, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I checked the 'System Information' again. The Harmony 550 is working with Remote Address set to 2 and it says IR next to it. But with that setting, when I try using the IR eye, the Harmony 550 does not work. If I change the 'Remote Address' to 1, it says IR/UHF Pro Band A next to it and the Harmony 550 does not work. I will try using the IR eye using this setting. Maybe, the 550 does not work directly with this setting but it will work with the IR eye??

When you intend to control a Dish receiver with a Harmony remote, the possibility exists that the Dish is set on an IR address other than 1. Therefore, during setup the Harmony will prompt you to push a button or two (or more) while in Learn Mode. The Harmony is not learning the command, but rather ascertaining what IR address you have your Dish receiver set to so that it can match it. The Harmony is not capable of transmitting an RF signal that will directly control the receiver.

So, if you have your Harmony working correctly and subsequently change the IR address for the receiver, the Harmony will not be able to control the receiver because it is transmitting the "wrong" (i.e old) IR address.

AFAIK, there is only one IR sensor on any Dish receiver - it is that way on the various models I have owned.

Now that I see the three eye gadget that you have, it seems pretty clever.

I believe that you need the receiver to be set to "IR #" and not "UHF Pro #"

In the final analysis, your Harmony and also your three eye gadget are simply delivering a basic IR signal to your Dish receiver. The remote or the three eye gadget must be set on the same IR address as the receiver or you will get the result you are experiencing.
post #6 of 11 Old 11-15-2008, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter

I understand all of what you have written below.

However, I think I am not doing a good job with explaining what is happening. Let me try and explain this again.

Steps followed.
1. Pre-programmed the Harmony Remote using the Harmony software to control the Dish Network DVR.
2. Did not connect the Remote Extender eye to the IR Sensor of the Dish Network DVR.
3. Went to System Info of DVR, current 'Remote Address' is "2 IR/UHF Pro Band A".
4. Tried controlling the DVR using the Harmony 500, does not work. Conclusion: Need to change the remote address.
5. Clicked on 'Sat' button of Dish Network Remote and pressed 'Rec' on Harmony, this changed the 'Remote Address' to "2 IR".
6. With this change, the Harmony Remote is able to control the DVR.
7. Connected the eye from the Remote Control extender to the IR sensor on the DVR and replaced one of the batteries inside the Harmony remote with the "RF battery" from the extender.
8. Now, the Harmony is not able to talk to the DVR.

If the DVR is still showing "2 IR", why is the Harmony not able to communicate through the eye? Also, I tried changing the 'Remote Address' to "1 IR" but it doesn't come up as a choice at all.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
post #7 of 11 Old 11-15-2008, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

5. Clicked on 'Sat' button of Dish Network Remote and pressed 'Rec' on Harmony, this changed the 'Remote Address' to "2 IR".
6. With this change, the Harmony Remote is able to control the DVR.
7. Connected the eye from the Remote Control extender to the IR sensor on the DVR and replaced one of the batteries inside the Harmony remote with the "RF battery" from the extender.
8. Now, the Harmony is not able to talk to the DVR.

If the DVR is still showing "2 IR", why is the Harmony not able to communicate through the eye? Also, I tried changing the 'Remote Address' to "1 IR" but it doesn't come up as a choice at all.

In step 7 you covered the Dish receiver's IR eye so that it no longer can receive IR directly from any remote. However, the Dish receiver is now able to receive IR from the three eye gadget.

As I said above, "The remote or the three eye gadget must be set on the same IR address as the receiver or you will get the result you are experiencing.

You have the Dish receiver set to address 2 and the three eye gadget is only capable of using address 1.

Check your Dish manual and change the IR address to 1. You said you were unsuccessful in doing that suggesting that you did not follow the correct procedure.

Maybe someone else could weigh in here and provide you some (better) help than I've been able to communicate?
post #8 of 11 Old 11-15-2008, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks SaltiDawg for being patient with me. I called up Logitech CSR and they got my remote working with the Dish DVR set to Channel 2 IR/UHF Pro Band A. She had to update something from their database. I am a happy man
post #9 of 11 Old 11-16-2008, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks SaltiDawg for being patient with me. I called up Logitech CSR and they got my remote working with the Dish DVR set to Channel 2 IR/UHF Pro Band A. She had to update something from their database. I am a happy man

I'm glad you got it resolved. Logitech's Tech Support is outstanding in my opinion!
post #10 of 11 Old 03-25-2009, 06:07 AM

i'm bumping this because i have the exact same setup - logitech harmony, dish network 612, and the same IR extender.

here's the strange part - i can't even get as far as introducing the harmony to my setup, though, because i can't seem to get the dish 612 to work with the IR extender even with the stock remote.

i noticed that the extender would work fine when sending commands to the TV from the 612 remote (extender light blinked and command sent successfully) but nothing sent to the 612 would work (no light on the extender even blinked to show reception of a signal). switched the extender from channel A to B - same thing.

so my next course of action was to switch the 612 remote address. for some reason i can only switch it to remote address 1 or 9. (both IR) it will not let me use 2-8. 1 and 9 will both control the 612 directly, but will not send commands to the extender.

any ideas? i'm going crazy here...
post #11 of 11 Old 09-14-2009, 05:49 PM

I have this exact same setup as well. I notice that the "Spaceship" like reciever from nextgen is not registering any IR commands when I hit a dish button. However If i walk over to the 612 and click a button on my 550 walk back into the room it will have changed the channel so its like the "RF receiver/transmitter" is not picking up on the DISH network IR commands which obviously are working when the 550 works fine pointing it directly at the VIP612. Post back when I get it figured out and exact instructions on how to make it work.

sorry to post in a old thread but it wasn't really explain how exactly it was resolved.
Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page