Universal remote for analog TV and (Zenith DTT(900) DTV converter box - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 11-14-2008, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is anyone aware of a low cost single remote control solution that will operate the On/Off and volume funtions of my Toshiba analog CRT TVs as well as the basic on/off and channel change on a DTV box, specifically the Zenith DTT900? The zenith remote will not operate the volume or the TV/Video input switch on the Toshiba CRT TV. The volume control on the Zenith is useless, because I have to run it full up to get sound through the DTV box almost as loud as the same channel programming sound in analog. I would even consider another makers converter box if this is feasable with that box and other performance and channel pull in is good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-16-2008, 09:15 AM

The only universal remote that I have been able to find is the Weemote, and because it's the only one so far, it's rather expensive. You can find it listed on eBay by the manufacturer at a discount to their list price. I'm expecting that once the transition is final, more manufacturers will come out with remotes than control these devices. There are boxes with universal remotes, and I bought the Tivax STB-T9 before I did thorough research. It would have been cheaper to buy a box with universal remote rather than have to buy a separate remote after the fact.
post #3 of 4 Old 12-02-2008, 12:36 PM

I am also looking for a cheap remote to control the DTV boxes. I have a RCA DTA800B1 converter box and it has a remote that has seperate buttons to control TV On/Off, TV volume, and TV inputs, but the RCA box is hard to find anymore, and if you find it, it's high priced. The one I have works well and I wish I could get more. I have installed many of the DTV converters, but having to use 2 remotes, just to watch a local channel is not convenient.
Does anyone know how to find the remote "codes" for the various DTV converter boxes? They are too new for them to be listed in most "cheap" remote manuals, but I'll bet a $5 RCA remote would work on one if you could find the right code. I may buy one and do some experimenting.
post #4 of 4 Old 06-07-2009, 04:27 PM

Other people may have found remotes that work as replacements for the cheap ones that come with the DTT-901 but here are two that worked for me: the Philips SRU300X/27 series (simpler with bigger buttons) and the Sony RM-VL 600 (more complex but with full learning capabilities). From what I have read, LG also branded this converter as an Insignia NS-DXA1.

The Philips remote has good-sized buttons, a reasonable lack of complexity, and controls multiple devices. I bought a Philips SRU3003/27 (3 item) and when it worked I bought a SRU3005/27 (5 item). The SRU3003/27 controls a DTT-901 and a GE combo (TV/VCR). The SRU3005/27 controls a DTT-901, a Sony TV, a Panasonic VCR, and a Panasonic DVD. The SRU3005/27 has some level of learning capability but I haven't bothered with it.

Here is how I set up the Philips remotes.

Direct Code Entry
DTT-901
1. Press and hold the SETUP button until the red indicator stays on, then release the SETUP button.
2. Press and release the desired mode button (SAT, CBL, etc.). The red indicator blinks and then stays lit.
3. Enter code 0267. Note: after a valid code entry, the red indicator turns off.

Direct Code Entry
Your TV
1. Press and hold the SETUP button until the red indicator stays on, then release the SETUP button.
2. Press and release the TV button. The red indicator blinks and then stays lit.
3. Enter the 4-digit code from the code tables (on separate sheet). Note: after a valid code entry, the red indicator turns off. For an invalid code, the red indicator flashes.
4. With your device on, press CHANNEL UP. If the device responds, no further programming is required. Note: If some buttons do not operate your equipment, try one of the other codes for your brand.

Punch through Volume feature
1. Select the DTT-901 and turn the volume up to 100%.
2. Press and hold the SETUP button until the red indicator turns on, then release the button.
3. Press and hold the MUTE button until the red indicator blinks off, then release the button.
4. Press and release the TV button, for Volume/Mute control, the red indicator blinks then stays on.
5. Press and release the MUTE button and the red indicator turns off. The red indicator will blink rapidly for three seconds if the Mode you have selected has no Volume/Mute control.
6. All other Modes will now punch-through to your chosen Mode for Volume/Mute control.
7. All Visual and Audio programmed Modes will now punch-through to the respective Modes you have chosen for Volume/Mute control.

Direct Code Entry
Your other devices
2. Press and release the desired mode button (DVD, VCR, etc.). The red indicator blinks and then stays lit.
3. Enter the 4-digit code from the code tables (on separate sheet). Note: after a valid code entry, the red indicator turns off. For an invalid code, the red indicator flashes.
4. With your device on, press CHANNEL UP. If the device responds, no further programming is required. Note: If some buttons do not operate your equipment, try one of the other codes for your brand.

When you go to watch, select TV and Power then SAT (or CBL) and Power. Because you pressed the SAT button last, the DTT-901 will control the channels and the punch through feature will control the volume on the TV.

I also have two Sony RM-VL 600's and after setting up the Philips remotes , I discovered that the 0267 code also works on them.

1. Select SET and MENU buttons together.
2. Press the component button you want to use.
3. Enter 0267
4. Press ENT

Thus ends an era where you could buy a TV, plug it in, extend the rabbit ears, and watch TV. You could also unplug it and take it to the rural hospital so your grandma could watch TV while she convalesced. Or you could take it to work to watch the Superbowl when that shipment just had to go out to make the month. Or you could actually see the weather radar without risking your main TV.

Now it is a multipath-cancelling antenna because there is no such thing as a bad picture with digital, only a picture or no picture, nothing in between. And what causes multipath, rustling leaves, planes, broadcast towers, buildings, or the neighbor's solar array. Or maybe a fringe antenna because UHF isn't as powerful. Or separate VHF and UHF antennas because some of the stations aren't moving to UHF.

Yeppers, with technology comes simplicity.
Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page