Motorola DCH6416 Remote Problems - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 12-10-2008, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm hoping someone here can help with this really odd problem.

My service supplier (Charter in Reno, NV) recently replaced my DVR box with a DCH6416. I was told my old remote (also from a Motorola unit) would operate the new box just fine. Remote operation was very sporadic. Returned both the old remote and the new box to the main office and received second new DCH6416 and new remote (both still in the wrapper). Still had the same problem with the remote. Tried replacing batteries (twice), tried powering down and re-starting, tried everything I could think of. While playing with the darn thing, I discovered that if I shine a flashlight directly at the IR receiver on the box while using the remote, it works perfectly - every function - like it is supposed to! Without the flashlight beam - total junk. Anyone have any idea what is going on here? Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-27-2008, 06:30 PM

Two possible clues:
I knew a guy that said his remote control would stop working every sunny afternoon because the sun would fall on the IR receiver port of his TV. He had to pull the shade to avoid that.
And, I have read in a few forum posts (can't remember which, now) that light from the flat screen TV falling on the DVR IR receiver port would "swamp" the port diminishing or stopping its function.

The exact cause of this sort of problem is a bit mystifying to me. Suggest finding out what other devices are swamping the IR port on your DVR. Suggest repositioning the DVR, even slightly, may make a difference.
post #3 of 11 Old 01-12-2009, 01:17 PM

You may want to ask Charter for a Model UR4U-MDVR-CHD2 remote. I don't know which one you have but this model offers control of everything the DCH6416 is capable of doing.
post #4 of 11 Old 01-12-2009, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Most likely it is your TV putting out IR interference that causes the remote not to work. What kind of a TV do you have?
post #5 of 11 Old 01-12-2009, 09:16 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
I agree with Beerstalker. My guess is that you have either a large Plasma TV in the room or you're using CFL lightbulbs in an adjacent lamp. Both are known to interfere with IR receivers. If you'd like a simple troubleshooting exercise... move your Moto box as fara away from your TV and lamps as possible and see if the remote functions better. You can even try using the remote with the TV off to see if the box is more responsive
post #6 of 11 Old 01-18-2009, 09:42 AM
Advanced Member

Yep, I'm having the same issue with the remote and the IR interference from the TV sounds plausible based on my own experience. I got the DCH6416 from Charter on Thursday and this issue has occurred every time after first turning the TV on with the same remote. I had to wait at least 5 minutes before the remote would accept being auto-programmed and function normally.

RIP My Cable Service with Charter (3/15/2002-8/13/2009); 2nd Tour with Basic Only On Charter Cable: 10/2011-Present
post #7 of 11 Old 03-23-2009, 09:18 PM
Advanced Member

Ding Ding Ding. Same problem for me with a new DCH6416 my Cableco just delivered, and the box only receiving about 1 in every 10 remote commands.

I have a Panasonic TH-50PX60U, and see someone in this thread has the same problem with the same TV: Link to other AVS Forum thread regarding same problem
post #8 of 11 Old 03-24-2009, 04:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Cornwell View Post

Ding Ding Ding. Same problem for me with a new DCH6416 my Cableco just delivered, and the box only receiving about 1 in every 10 remote commands.

I have a Panasonic TH-50PX60U, and see someone in this thread has the same problem with the same TV: Link to other AVS Forum thread regarding same problem

Yep, it looks like the problem hasn't gone away on my box since my last post. I've gotten used to turning the box on and to the channel I want before turning the TV on and using the controls on the front of the box.

RIP My Cable Service with Charter (3/15/2002-8/13/2009); 2nd Tour with Basic Only On Charter Cable: 10/2011-Present
post #9 of 11 Old 08-22-2010, 04:25 PM

I'm sorry for bumping such an old thread, but I found this through the magic of Google and just wanted to throw out a very simple solution I discovered to the problem of using a Motorola DCH6416 with a Panasonic TH-50PX60U. I encountered the issue described here (only 1 out of 10 or so button presses being registered on the DCH6416) after resetting the TV to its factory defaults. After switching the TV's picture mode from "Vivid" back to "Standard", the problem immediately corrected itself!

Hopefully this will be useful to someone else looking for an answer to this problem in the future.
post #10 of 11 Old 07-17-2011, 10:18 AM

Liked: 11
Is there anyway to program the DCH6416 remote to skip channels? I tried using the favorites, but it only allows you to go from one favorite to the next, I'd like to go backwards and forwards.

This ain't no party, this ain't no disco
post #11 of 11 Old 07-17-2011, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 279
How exactly would you envision such a feature working? CH+/- doesn't send a channel number, so your skip list would have to reside in your cable box and therefore couldn't possibly ever be a remote function.
Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page