The Harmony 1100 Owner's Thread... - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #31 of 2085 Old 01-31-2009, 01:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabe Actuary View Post

randy, thanks for linking the owners thread in the comparison thread.

randy (squareeyes) and I were among the beta testers. if you guys have any questions, just let us know...

just to further confirm, yes, the remote HAS to be setup from scratch. doesn't matter if your current remote/setup was a 1000 or completely different remote. we weren't thrilled with that decision, but according to logitech, it had to be that way.

I agree with joerod, set it all up using IR first...then go back and add the RF extender. I'm using mine with an RF extender and love it.

FTR, I've used an 880, 890 w/extender, One, 510 and 1100 w/extender...so I can answer almost any question harmony related...of course I'm on the logitech forums a lot more than here....

these are my current living room and bedroom setups
Samsung DLP HDTV (HL-R5067W), Scientific Atlanta HD DVR Cable Box (Explorer 8300HD), Panasonic BluRay Player (DMP-BD55), Onkyo Receiver (TX-SR806), XBox 360, Nintendo Wii, SlingCatcher....all with my Harmony 1100 with Wireless Extender

Samsung DLP HDTV (HLP-5063W), Scientific Atlanta HD DVR Cable Box (Explorer 8300HD), JVC DVD Player (XV-NP10), Sharp VCR (VC-A410), RCA Receiver (RT-2380BK)....all with my Harmony 890 with Wireless Extender

(Note: I am not affiliated with Logitech®, Inc.)

Hopefully you can help me out with my remote decision. I am a long time 880 and One user. However, my dilemma is my father needs a new remote for his 5.1 system. He is 61 years old and has pretty much always used handheld style remotes. The problem is, he keeps breaking the Harmony remote by pushing the buttons in too hard to which point they stop responding. This brings me to the idea of getting him the 1100. Am I asking for more trouble or will he be pleasantly surprised? He LOVES to channel surf via the DirecTV receiver, bounce around AppleTV and watch a BR once in a while. Beyond that there is not much else. Very basic user.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 2085 Old 01-31-2009, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjonkheer View Post

Hopefully you can help me out with my remote decision. I am a long time 880 and One user. However, my dilemma is my father needs a new remote for his 5.1 system. He is 61 years old and has pretty much always used handheld style remotes. The problem is, he keeps breaking the Harmony remote by pushing the buttons in too hard to which point they stop responding. This brings me to the idea of getting him the 1100. Am I asking for more trouble or will he be pleasantly surprised? He LOVES to channel surf via the DirecTV receiver, bounce around AppleTV and watch a BR once in a while. Beyond that there is not much else. Very basic user.

The Harmony 1100 also has buttons on it. Unless your father uses the LCD only, those buttons may also eventually break. Maybe better to stock up on cheap Harmony 550s.
post #33 of 2085 Old 01-31-2009, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpat View Post

The Harmony 1100 also has buttons on it. Unless your father uses the LCD only, those buttons may also eventually break. Maybe better to stock up on cheap Harmony 550s.

As great as these remotes are, they sure could stand an upgrade in the button reliability department. They are too expensive to keep switching out because of poor button quality.

post #34 of 2085 Old 01-31-2009, 03:16 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2275 Post(s)
Liked: 992
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpat View Post

Two 550's actually do equal one 1100
post #35 of 2085 Old 02-01-2009, 05:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 724 Post(s)
Liked: 655
I do agree with another post here about "ghost" keys. Like for my 09FD Blu ray component. I don't have slow or record even as an option so why is it barely there. It should be completely gone on the page not looking like a ghost (barely visible). I hope they correct that... Other than that there is not much more to complain about.

My Martin Logan Illusion & Impressions Review:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1494808387395
post #36 of 2085 Old 02-01-2009, 12:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

I do agree with another post here about "ghost" keys. Like for my 09FD Blu ray component. I don't have slow or record even as an option so why is it barely there. It should be completely gone on the page not looking like a ghost (barely visible). I hope they correct that... Other than that there is not much more to complain about.

Agreed. Wish I can make it go away!

Also I wish the star, heart, and such weren't so close to the edge of the screen. Makes it harder to hit once in a while.

Other than that I'm still messing with it. I finished off my Wii activity and I am now doing each device with only the buttons I need in case of. . .

I also have to redo all my Speco DVR buttons for the security cameras. I have been using the cameras alot lately due to stupid young drivers in the development. Someone the other night decided to drive through all the yards. Thankfully they just went in and out of ours. They also knocked over the neighbors job johney for the new house. I tried to figure out what kinda car it was but it was just too dark and far away in the yard. We dont have a street light in front of our house so when the landscape lights go out for the night it is really dark!

jimi
post #37 of 2085 Old 02-01-2009, 01:07 PM

I expect I know the answer but I'll ask for completeness.

I have a DirectTV HD-DVR that I use with the supplied RF remote. I had hoped that given the 1100 has RF capability I could control the DVR via RF directly, but going through the setup options it doesn't seem to be the case.

Has anyone else figured out how to use the rf without the logitech extender ?

p.s. If the developers are reading this thread, put me down as also wanting to have more options for activity icons. My Blu-ray and HD-DVD activities look funny with the DVD logo on them .
post #38 of 2085 Old 02-01-2009, 01:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1420 Post(s)
Liked: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron S View Post

I expect I know the answer but I'll ask for completeness.

I have a DirectTV HD-DVR that I use with the supplied RF remote. I had hoped that given the 1100 has RF capability I could control the DVR via RF directly, but going through the setup options it doesn't seem to be the case.

Has anyone else figured out how to use the rf without the logitech extender ?

p.s. If the developers are reading this thread, put me down as also wanting to have more options for activities. The Blu-ray and HD-DVD activities look funny with the DVD logo on them .

All RF remotes only communicate with their RF extenders. In the case of your DVR the remote is communicating with its base, which happens to be the DVR. So no other remote will be communicating with the DVR. You'll need an RF remote extender and need to change the DVR from RF to IR control.

post #39 of 2085 Old 02-02-2009, 04:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
pjonk...if he's breaking buttons on the 880 and One, I wouldn't risk it with any expensive remote. I've been using harmonies for over 3 years and I only had a few buttons start to see some wear. but honestly, if he's quick enough at 61 to pick up harmony usage, Apple tv, BR, etc...can't you just explain that he doesn't need to jam on the buttons?
post #40 of 2085 Old 02-02-2009, 07:55 AM

He's a really noob question for you guys. Set up my 1100 this weekend everything working well. How do you handle the actual loading of the dvd with the activity? Do you put it in the player first then press 'watch dvd' or is it part of the activity? My player starts playing when the dvd is loaded.
post #41 of 2085 Old 02-02-2009, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbobt View Post

He's a really noob question for you guys. Set up my 1100 this weekend everything working well. How do you handle the actual loading of the dvd with the activity? Do you put it in the player first then press 'watch dvd' or is it part of the activity? My player starts playing when the dvd is loaded.

it really depends on how you'd like the activity to run. you can add a 'play' command to the tail end of the activity's start up if you already have a disc in the tray. if you typically add a disc after you startup the player then you might add the 'eject' command.
i personally have mine set up to immediately play as i usually have a disc in the tray. if i need to open the tray i have that set up on the touchscreen in a place where my thumb won't easily (and accidentally) hit it.
hope that helps.

follow icon updates, av & remote info on facebook and twitter.
http://www.iconharmony.com
post #42 of 2085 Old 02-02-2009, 01:07 PM

Thanks randy, just curious how others do it. Also, thanks for your great icons.
post #43 of 2085 Old 02-02-2009, 02:54 PM

Quote:

pjonk...if he's breaking buttons on the 880 and One, I wouldn't risk it with any expensive remote. I've been using harmonies for over 3 years and I only had a few buttons start to see some wear. but honestly, if he's quick enough at 61 to pick up harmony usage, Apple tv, BR, etc...can't you just explain that he doesn't need to jam on the buttons?

My mother and I explain this to him quite a bit. Problem is, if the system does not do what he wants it to do he instinctively presses the button harder thinking that will help. He has very strong hands too which does not help the situation. I had the 880 for 3 years and the "up volume" button began to wear to the point I had to mash it to work. Started using the One in December and love it so far. Save for the touch screen and having to point my remote while hoping I pushed the right activity. Hate that.

He's had the 676 and 659 I believe and managed to render a few of the buttons on each remote useless. He is getting older and I don't want his frustration to build with remotes not working anymore.
post #44 of 2085 Old 02-02-2009, 05:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by squareeyes View Post

it really depends on how you'd like the activity to run. you can add a 'play' command to the tail end of the activity's start up if you already have a disc in the tray. if you typically add a disc after you startup the player then you might add the 'eject' command.
i personally have mine set up to immediately play as i usually have a disc in the tray. if i need to open the tray i have that set up on the touchscreen in a place where my thumb won't easily (and accidentally) hit it.
hope that helps.

randy, you do know you don't have to 'add' the play command, right? there is a setting in the activity to 'send play on start' and 'send stop on exit'...so you can choose yes or no for either of those...

personally, I eject the disc manually before leaving the activity. BR players start up MUCH faster with no disc in the tray. so this makes it faster next time I watch a movie. when starting it, I usually start the activity, then manually open the tray and put the disc in
post #45 of 2085 Old 02-02-2009, 06:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

randy, you do know you don't have to 'add' the play command, right? there is a setting in the activity to 'send play on start' and 'send stop on exit'...so you can choose yes or no for either of those...

personally, I eject the disc manually before leaving the activity. BR players start up MUCH faster with no disc in the tray. so this makes it faster next time I watch a movie. when starting it, I usually start the activity, then manually open the tray and put the disc in

thanks for the tip.

post #46 of 2085 Old 02-03-2009, 08:32 AM

Still considering the 1100 for my father. Have another quick question for the current 1100 owners...

Can you hold the 1100 in one hand and channel surf? I know all those buttons are on the right side of the remote but I wanted to know your comfort level with using it to channel surf.

Thanks.
post #47 of 2085 Old 02-03-2009, 04:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjonkheer View Post

Still considering the 1100 for my father. Have another quick question for the current 1100 owners...

Can you hold the 1100 in one hand and channel surf? I know all those buttons are on the right side of the remote but I wanted to know your comfort level with using it to channel surf.

Thanks.

if he's right-handed that shouldn't be a problem for him to channel up and down on the hard button. if he's used to using a dvr/tivo style guide or inputing digits, then he'll need two hands.
if he gets frustrated by unresponsive hard buttons he may be doubly so by the touchscreen as it does not have any tactile feedback, only a 'tlock' sound when you push a soft button.

post #48 of 2085 Old 02-03-2009, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

It is even easier to use one hand if you make the Page Up and Page Down Hard Buttons an info and Guide button. I can surf real easy that way...

post #49 of 2085 Old 02-03-2009, 04:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It is even easier to use one hand if you make the Page Up and Page Down Hard Buttons an info and Guide button. I can surf real easy that way...

that is an excellent tip!

post #50 of 2085 Old 02-03-2009, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Thanks.

For Blu ray players it is nice to make one of them the Pop Up Menu and the other the Display button to. Then right off to the side on the touch screen make the Return or Exit button...

post #51 of 2085 Old 02-04-2009, 12:12 PM

Hey guys,

Does the 1100 have a calibration mode for the touch screen like the 1000 had or did they eliminate this feature. I don't seem to see it in the remote setup.
post #52 of 2085 Old 02-04-2009, 07:10 PM

any way to add more than 4 pages of favorites (24 total)?
post #53 of 2085 Old 02-04-2009, 07:31 PM
Advanced Member

#6 in the harmony one thread faq will work for the h1100 as well. you can add multiple 'watch tv' activities each with their own set of favorites and name the activities according to those channel sets: "watch news", "watch sports", "watch kids tv", etc.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=967841

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdawg97 View Post

post #54 of 2085 Old 02-05-2009, 05:05 PM

Just wondering, is it normal for the 1100 to display the charging icon on the screen and all of the hard buttons lit-up whenever it's in the charging dock?
I seem to remember when I first got it that it would eventually go dark even though it was still charging (little led on dock lit). I'm just concerned overtime
the icon might 'burn-in' to the display. I don't see the need for this to be lit all the time.
post #55 of 2085 Old 02-05-2009, 05:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdawg97 View Post

Nope. And I asked the dealer tech support this also and they said the same thing due to memory that was allocated for certain aspects of the remote. Don't know if it is true for the answer I got but that was what I was told.

jimi
post #56 of 2085 Old 02-06-2009, 04:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

I like being able to have it in the dock and hit commands. It is a pain to have to pick it up and try and touch a button. When I am going to be there awhile I find it easier to unplug the dock from the power cord (stop it from charging). You just have to remember to plug it back in when you are done. There really is no difference then walking around and using it without it being in the dock station.

post #57 of 2085 Old 02-06-2009, 04:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

I also called them yesterday and was told they were working on my generic icon complaint.

post #58 of 2085 Old 02-06-2009, 06:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I like being able to have it in the dock and hit commands. It is a pain to have to pick it up and try and touch a button. When I am going to be there awhile I find it easier to unplug the dock from the power cord (stop it from charging). You just have to remember to plug it back in when you are done. There really is no difference then walking around and using it without it being in the dock station.

right, if the dock is plugged in, it won't send commands. that would have involved a complete other set of testing/FCC approvals and so on.
post #59 of 2085 Old 02-06-2009, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Good point.

post #60 of 2085 Old 02-07-2009, 12:31 PM

Regarding my post #54 above, I think I'm having my first problems.
Like I said, the charging icon and all hard buttons were lit when in the dock.
When I went to use it I noticed it wasn't going to sleep even then.
Pulled the battery and after it rebooted it went to sleep like it should (about 20 secs which is how I have it set). Now when I put it in the dock the icon and button lights come on then go out in about 20 secs. like I remember it doing when I first got it. Apparently this is the correct behaviour.
Also I'm noticing parts of my touch screen (lower part) seem less responsive than the rest of the screen.
Is anyone else experiencing any of this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Directv , Harmony 1100 Remcontrol , remote control , repair advice , Sony

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page