Forum Jump: 

post #751 of 2038 Old 01-24-2010, 08:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have another problem:

After I connect the 1100 to the computer and I click on update remote, everything goes well until 95% (reboot remote). After the remote reboots, it cannot communicate with the computer any longer and I get an error message. In the bottom right corner I get the double-TVs with the yellow dot swinging left-to-right and then the message that the connection has limited connectivity. I am not able to get the remote connected until I restart the computer and the cycle repeats. Is there a fix to this?

I am running Windows XP Professional.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #752 of 2038 Old 01-24-2010, 10:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just got my new 1100 and, per the directions, put it in the charger to charge for 5 hours before programming. Its been over 5 hours, but when I push a button on the remote the battery power icon shows the battery level only about 1/3 charged.

Is this a software glitch or perhaps a bad battery?

And yes, it is plugged in and the charging light shows on the front of the dock as well as on the battery icon when the screen turns on (lightening bolt).

Thanks,
Scott
post #753 of 2038 Old 01-25-2010, 04:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalawyer View Post

I just got my new 1100 and, per the directions, put it in the charger to charge for 5 hours before programming. Its been over 5 hours, but when I push a button on the remote the battery power icon shows the battery level only about 1/3 charged.

Is this a software glitch or perhaps a bad battery?

And yes, it is plugged in and the charging light shows on the front of the dock as well as on the battery icon when the screen turns on (lightening bolt).

Thanks,
Scott

it's not a fluid representation of the battery level...it's just an image to show it's charging/charged...
post #754 of 2038 Old 01-25-2010, 04:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael9009 View Post

I was able to change the default screens for those activities but the icons did not change. Do you mean to say I need to edit the activities or redo them from scratch and delete the old ones?...

if the icon for the activity is just that of a 'watch tv' activity, that likely means you set it up as a watch tv activity and not a watch dvr activity...

delete the one with the wrong icon, then create it again...add activity, manual, watch tv, watch dvr, etc...
post #755 of 2038 Old 01-25-2010, 05:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabe Actuary View Post

if the icon for the activity is just that of a 'watch tv' activity, that likely means you set it up as a watch tv activity and not a watch dvr activity...

delete the one with the wrong icon, then create it again...add activity, manual, watch tv, watch dvr, etc...

Thank you, Wannabe Actuary, I will try this after I get a solution for my connectivity issue (see post #751). Would you perhaps happen to have a solution for this as well?
post #756 of 2038 Old 01-25-2010, 07:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thank you, Wannabe Actuary, I will try this after I get a solution for my connectivity issue (see post #751). Would you perhaps happen to have a solution for this as well?

sorry, never seen that before
post #757 of 2038 Old 01-25-2010, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eiger View Post

Hello,

I am a new Harmony 1100 owner. I need some help determining what I need for the following applications.

1) My AVR rack is in the back of the room (behind seating position). So need to control all of my devices.
2) I will be installing a Luton lighting system in the future. (probably GrafikEye 4 zone).

Question is this -

What do I want to control both systems? An IR blaster or the Harmony RF Extender? I get confused between these two and what will work given the above requirments.

Will they both accomplish what I need it to do?

Can anyone help provide guidance on my above questions?

Looking to purchase some of this stuff.. Thx!
post #758 of 2038 Old 01-25-2010, 08:16 AM
Advanced Member

for #1
get the logitech wireless extender
then when you setup the remote you'll assign any of the devices behind you to be controlled via the extender

then the remote will send rf to the extender (no line of sight needed), the extender converts it back to ir and then itself and any of the attached ir blaster tip cables send out the ir signals to the devices

as for #2
any lighting solution that uses IR should work fine with harmony remotes
lutron is a popular choice
post #759 of 2038 Old 01-26-2010, 04:42 AM
Advanced Member

Can the different buttons available for a given device be:

1. Renamed (for example, the buttons for my VPL-VW60 projector are not labeled correctly, especially the names of different inputs. I corrected this under advanced setup in the Harmony software but their names did not change on the remote)

2. Reordered (they are ordered alphabetically instead of being grouped by function, etc., which makes them very difficult to find)

3. Delete those buttons which are not used on the device (sometimes there are more buttons on the 1100 than the device is capable for)?

These would be a deal breaker for me, I suppose, because I find it way simpler to grab the original device remote control than spend time to identify the button I need on the 1100 remote, and that one is also labeled incorrectly.

Thank you.
post #760 of 2038 Old 01-26-2010, 05:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Can the different buttons available for a given device be:

1. Renamed (for example, the buttons for my VPL-VW60 projector are not labeled correctly, especially the names of different inputs. I corrected this under advanced setup in the Harmony software but their names did not change on the remote)

2. Reordered (they are ordered alphabetically instead of being grouped by function, etc., which makes them very difficult to find)

3. Delete those buttons which are not used on the device (sometimes there are more buttons on the 1100 than the device is capable for)?

These would be a deal breaker for me, I suppose, because I find it way simpler to grab the original device remote control than spend time to identify the button I need on the 1100 remote, and that one is also labeled incorrectly.

Thank you.

1. when you place a command on the screen within an activity, YOU choose the label that you want for the command. commands within the device level can not be renamed....but you should RARELY be using device mode, so this should be irrelevant

2. yes, you can reorder them. activity level and device level customizations are different/separate. so if you want to reorder the device level commands, feel free to do so in the device level area of the setup....however, again, you'll RARELY be using device mode on the remote. in the activities you create, you'll only place the commands YOU want there, so there shouldn't be any massive reordering needed...just place the commands you need/want there....not ALL the commands...and place them in the order you want them.

3. only logitech can delete commands from a device profile....but AGAIN, you will RARELY be in the device level. in the activity level on the remote you will only have the commands that YOU put there.

I know it might sound good to be all neat and organized in device mode...but I can tell you in all my years of using harmony remotes (after I've gotten them setup properly) I could count on ONE HAND how many times I've used device mode.

Just worry about properly setting up your activity
post #761 of 2038 Old 01-26-2010, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Quote:

3. only logitech can delete commands from a device profile....but AGAIN, you will RARELY be in the device level. in the activity level on the remote you will only have the commands that YOU put there.

The answer to all the OP's questions are yes. You most certainly can delete as many "buttons" as you like from a device profile. Obviously you can't purge the commands themselves from the database. However, if it really bothers you knowing the commands exist, you can always make your own device from scratch and learn only the commands you want. If you didn't want to make your own device from scratch, you could also learn some bogus command on top of the existing commands and never be bothered again. But I imagine simply deleting a few buttons from the devices/activities in question would be sufficient.

Device button management is pretty good on harmony. Rearranging buttons is pretty tedious though. They could do a much better job in that respect. But as far as deal breakers go, device button management doesn't even make my top 5.

When you try to run multiple activities simultaneously, you'll be glad you spent a little time fixing up your device modes.
post #762 of 2038 Old 01-26-2010, 07:32 AM
Advanced Member

thanks for the clarification...I was looking at I from the device profile aspect...but ok his own individual device level you can remove the commands

however I recommnd spending zero time customizing device level on the remote
post #763 of 2038 Old 01-26-2010, 09:58 AM

I did customize Devices on the remote, trying to make each screen as much like some section of the old remote as possible. This way, until I get the things I need most on the Activities screens, I can always drop back and use the old, tired, slow way of doing things.
the automatic setup of Activities was somewhat lacking in capability...

I'm slowing getting to where I never go for the device pages, though!!
post #764 of 2038 Old 01-26-2010, 05:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

The answer to all the OP's questions are yes. You most certainly can delete as many "buttons" as you like from a device profile.

Would you please guide me briefly on how to achieve this?

Also, on how to rename the device buttons? For my VPL-VW60 projector the inputs on the 1100 are totally wrong. For example, on the 1100 HDMI should actually be HDMI 2, S-Video 1 should be S-Video, S-Video 2 should be HDMI 1, Video 1 should be Video, Video 2 should be Component. I want to rename these inputs to their correct names.

Lastly, would you please guide on me how to rearrange the device buttons on the 1100? Currently, they are alphabetically ordered and input buttons are mixed with memory buttons and with settings buttons. I would like to have them grouped by category.

Thank you.
post #765 of 2038 Old 01-26-2010, 05:57 PM

Quote:

lights will only be included in the activity IF you put them in there. if you don't put them in the activity, then they won't power on/off automatically.

you can also change the power commands to none, so that what it sends is nothing....then place the light controls in the activity button customization.

I was suggesting something that many people want, the light automation, but in the right direction. most people want lights off when using an activity, and then lights on when ending things...putting the power on command where the off is supposed to go and vice versa, gets you to that goal. but if you want the lights in the activity but not powered on/off automatically, then see the other suggestion I just made

This is exactly what I am trying to accomplish with my Lutron Spacer system. When I select the activity "Watch TV", the lights will not be turned on, but rather I will only have a custom button to select the scene that I want. I put the custom button on the correct page, but see no way to not have the lights turn on when I select the activity. Could you please explain further how to accomplish this. Thanks.
post #766 of 2038 Old 01-26-2010, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Would you please guide me briefly on how to achieve this?

For each device, go to More Options, Customize, Additional, then rename and rearrange with the arrows beside each function. The trash can deletes a button.

Do a similar Customize in each activity to rename/rearrange/delete buttons.

There is no way I know of to rearrange the devices themselves.

Those are the options on myremotesetup.com. I rarely use the harmony software because it's too slow, so I don't know what they're called there.
post #767 of 2038 Old 01-27-2010, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

This is exactly what I am trying to accomplish with my Lutron Spacer system. When I select the activity "Watch TV", the lights will not be turned on, but rather I will only have a custom button to select the scene that I want. I put the custom button on the correct page, but see no way to not have the lights turn on when I select the activity. Could you please explain further how to accomplish this. Thanks.

If I understand you correctly, you don't want the light to do anything when you go in and out of the activity but rather have control once you are in the activity. You can do as Wannabe suggests and say there is no power buttons for that device or what I do is set my lighting devices to be always on. The way you do this is to go into that device (in my case the Grafik Eye), select the following:

Settings->adjust power settings->I want to leave on all the time OR there are no power settings->(it will still ask this, at least if you select on all the time) a button for on, a button for off-> light 1 for on-> all lights off for off.

That is how I have my activities with lighting setup as when I enter my HT the main unit is just outside the door so I am able to set to the scene I want. then once in the activity I have soft buttons to select the scene I want or have it set up to send certain lighting commands with certain button presses i.e. play lights off, stop lights exit.

BTW, one reason why I set it up this way is because in my bedroom I also use an 880 with Lutron Maestro to control the light in there. After I exit the activity and shut everything down, if I forget to turn off the light beforehand I can hit the help button and the first thing it does is send the command to shut off the light rather than needing to go into devices and finding the right device and command. Why, I don't know it's just always done it that way.
post #768 of 2038 Old 01-27-2010, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

In addition to what oman said, you can add the lights on command to the beginning of your activity. Run through the activity wizard again, and at the end select "I want to add more control" (or something like that). At that point you can add more commands to the start and/or end of your activity.
post #769 of 2038 Old 01-27-2010, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman321 View Post

I have soft buttons to select the scene I want or have it set up to send certain lighting commands with certain button presses i.e. play lights off, stop lights exit.

Thanks for the help. I now have the soft buttons so I can select the lighting scene within each activity as desired. How do you set up the command so it turns the lights off when you press play or lights on with stop?
post #770 of 2038 Old 01-27-2010, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Because the 1100 or the 900 do not do sequences you have to teach the commands to the remote as one button press. Here is the information I posted a few pages back on to do this:

Programming the multi commands into the 1100 is pretty simple, really as simple as teaching the remote a command that is not in the database. The only difference before learning the command is to hit custom on the bottom right and this will bring you into the RAW mode which gives you a better chance of success.

You may need to learn an original command first and then reteach that command in raw mode with the button presses that you want.

If your previous remote is programmed with the commands you want i.e. play lights off or pause and raise, it is a matter of teaching the 1100 that button press. You name it accordingly "Play lights Off" in the are that says "My New Command" hit learn and point the original remote at the bottom of the 1100. If it picks it up it will say Key Detected.

If you don't have a previous remote with the sequence command programmed already it is as simple as having the original remote for each device i.e. DVD player and Light remote, following the same procedure and when you hit learn and asks for you to teach the new command just quickly tap play on the dvd remote and lights off on the light remote consecutively and it will learn the functions as one command.

This is the way it was done when Harmony didn't do sequences.
Swervepf likes this.
post #771 of 2038 Old 01-27-2010, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:

Because the 1100 or the 900 do not do sequences you have to teach the commands to the remote as one button press. Here is the information I posted a few pages back on to do this:

Programming the multi commands into the 1100 is pretty simple, really as simple as teaching the remote a command that is not in the database. The only difference before learning the command is to hit custom on the bottom right and this will bring you into the RAW mode which gives you a better chance of success.

If your previous remote is programmed with the commands you want i.e. play lights off or pause and raise, it is a matter of teaching the 1100 that button press. You name it accordingly "Play lights Off" in the are that says "My New Command" hit learn and point the original remote at the bottom of the 1100. If it picks it up it will say Key Detected.

If you don't have a previous remote with the sequence command programmed already it is as simple as having the original remote for each device i.e. DVD player and Light remote, following the same procedure and when you hit learn and asks for you to teach the new command just quickly tap play on the dvd remote and lights off on the light remote consecutively and it will learn the functions as one command.

This is the way it was done when Harmony didn't do sequences.

It's simple when it works - I still cannot get the Harmony to RAW learn either an existing macro from another remote or manually pressing two buttons to raise/lower lights when pausing/playing my DirecTV DVR. I got this to work for my Tivo, Sony Blu Ray player, Apple TV, and Escient movie server, but not the DirecTV.
post #772 of 2038 Old 01-27-2010, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes, thrang has noted the exception which he has come accross. I was copying from my previous post of these instructions which was prior to thrang's dealings with the Directv issue.

thrang, any luck with getting support to put the HEX codes in for you? Also one other thing came to mind. With Directv boxes aren't you able to switch the IR code set in the event you have more than one box. Might be worth a shot to try with the other code set if possible.
post #773 of 2038 Old 01-27-2010, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

...With Directv boxes aren't you able to switch the IR code set in the event you have more than one box. Might be worth a shot to try with the other code set if possible.

Unfortunately changing the DirecTV code set won't make any difference. The only difference between one code set and another is the value of one nibble (4 bits) near the beginning of the signal that specifies the device address. In fact, the only difference between address 1 and address 2, for example, is the value of a single bit. All other bits are identical to the other code sets. It's still a long, complicated signal no matter what the device address is.
post #774 of 2038 Old 01-27-2010, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Well that's too bad then. Has no one else with Direct TV had any success in learning a multi command in RAW mode? Thrang has been to teach this command to his universal but no success in teaching it to the 1100 with that.

Thrang I'm not familiar with the NeVo SL you mentioned previously, are you able to convert or get the command into HEX?
post #775 of 2038 Old 01-27-2010, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:

Well that's too bad then. Has no one else with Direct TV had any success in learning a multi command in RAW mode? Thrang has been to teach this command to his universal but no success in teaching it to the 1100 with that.

Thrang I'm not familiar with the NeVo SL you mentioned previously, are you able to convert or get the command into HEX?

I can past HEX codes in as an IR learning option, but I cannot see HEX codes of existing IR. For my lights, I don't have the IR HEX, though perhaps I could get it from Smarthome
post #776 of 2038 Old 01-27-2010, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rconner View Post

Oman321 - Just wanted to say thanks for the heads up on the Bracketron remote holder. Set mine up over the weekend and love it. As a side note, I feel like a real couch potato. I barely have to move now to control my home theater.

Hey rconner, I missed this post until now. I'm glad it worked out for you also.

The Mrs. gave me strange looks for a day or so after getting it, but the 1st time we sat down to watch a movie and she saw it in action and not having to worry about where to put or fumbling with the remote I think it clicked!!! She loves it and says to me, now why didn't you think of making something like this
post #777 of 2038 Old 01-27-2010, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't know if these will useful or any good to you thrang but here is a link I found.

http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin...n&dv=converter
post #778 of 2038 Old 01-27-2010, 10:35 PM

I'm about to get the 1100 but I'm concerned about how easy it will be to use with our Comcast DVR. For the 1100 owners that also have a Comcast DVR, how easy is it to set up the 1100 to operate the DVR and OnDemand functions of the Comcast DVR? There are a lot of buttons necessary to go through all of the DVR, OnDemand and TV guide searching functions on the Comcast remote. I don't want to drop $300 on this remote just to find that I'm going to still need to go back to my Comcast remote constantly. Thanks in advance for all of your help.

post #779 of 2038 Old 01-28-2010, 04:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhpizza View Post

I'm about to get the 1100 but I'm concerned about how easy it will be to use with our Comcast DVR. For the 1100 owners that also have a Comcast DVR, how easy is it to set up the 1100 to operate the DVR and OnDemand functions of the Comcast DVR? There are a lot of buttons necessary to go through all of the DVR, OnDemand and TV guide searching functions on the Comcast remote. I don't want to drop $300 on this remote just to find that I'm going to still need to go back to my Comcast remote constantly. Thanks in advance for all of your help.

it's rather easy to use with a comcast DVR.

I didn't program anything specific for the 'on demand' command, because in my area it's just channel 199 that takes me into on demand, but you can always assign that somewhere on the LCD.

the remote has 4 'sub screens':
it has the transport sub screen that has play/pause, etc... on the main LCD
it has the favorite channel sub screen
it has the number pad sub screen
and it has the 'star sub screen'...essentially a blank page where you can place any commands you want.

each of the 4 subscreens has what I would call 'sidebar' commands. in other words, down the side of each sub screen there are 4 places to put commands (so 8 commands along the sides of each screen). I made the sidebar commands the same for all my subscreens, but you don't have to. Down the left I put A,B,C,Info and down the right I put List (which brings up the DVR recordings), LiveTV, Guide, Exit.

I generally don't go into the 'menu' of the dvr where all the settings are, but you could place that command on the 'star subscreen'. the physical buttons handle the directional pad, ok/select, channel up/down, channel recall, and page up/down.
post #780 of 2038 Old 01-28-2010, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member

I can 2nd the Comcast DVR use. Once you set up the remote just like you want it will be great. Like Wannabe I put all the same commands on the side bars of all the sub screens. That way no matter what screen I'm on I have access to the most common commands i.e. My DVR, Swap Tuner, On Demand, etc..

It will work just fine for you bhpizza.
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Harmony 1100 Remcontrol , Directv , Sony

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page