AVS Forum banner

The Harmony 1100 Owner's Thread...

364K views 2K replies 372 participants last post by  pjp 
#1 ·
So I ran into a BB and picked up the new 1100 from Harmony. I just had the 1000 last month so doing a comparison was pretty easy. The software seems to run a lot smoother than it did with the 1000. There is also a lot of icons you can choose from to make your 1100 have more flare!
So far it has ran perfect and I have not had a single issue. I am going to hook it up with the RF extender shortly. I just want to get it dialed down before hand. I have it working my new Pioneer 09FD Blu ray unit, Onkyo 886 PRO, DirecTv HR21 PRO, Sony VW200 PJ, Lutron Maestro, Carada Masquerade Masking System and DVDO Edge. I haven't completed everything yet. I figure it will take another couple days to have it exactly the way I want it. I am in the middle of comparing Blu ray players at the moment which takes up a lot of time. I will say that the 1100 does not make any noise when it is docked. The 1000 made a high pitched squeal sound. I didn't like the fact either that I had to start from scratch setting up the 1100 (open new account). What I did to make it easier was a good idea (at least I think so
). I went to the 1000 and just wrote everything down page per page. It took awhile but it has made setting up the 1100 a lot easier. I have changed a couple of things but for the most part just followed my notes. My biggest complaint has to do with selecting (or lack there of) Activity icons. If I choose a generic activity I am stuck with their pale icon (symbol). I would like to be able to select my own icon from their database. Like the device icons would be perfect. Other than that one gripe so far I am good. No issues! It is very responsive and pretty strong considering I am as far away from my components as can be in my theater. I also like the all black look. Very nice. It actually matches my all black components.
So is it worth the money? It is if you want it now. I can see it being discounted pretty good not long from now. $499 is on the high side but could see spending $300 to $399 for one. I had a great coupon from BB plus a $50 gift card which made it an easy decision to try it out.

See less See more
#53 ·
#6 in the harmony one thread faq will work for the h1100 as well. you can add multiple 'watch tv' activities each with their own set of favorites and name the activities according to those channel sets: "watch news", "watch sports", "watch kids tv", etc.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=967841

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdawg97 /forum/post/15739903

any way to add more than 4 pages of favorites (24 total)?

#54 ·
Just wondering, is it normal for the 1100 to display the charging icon on the screen and all of the hard buttons lit-up whenever it's in the charging dock?

I seem to remember when I first got it that it would eventually go dark even though it was still charging (little led on dock lit). I'm just concerned overtime

the icon might 'burn-in' to the display. I don't see the need for this to be lit all the time.

#55 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdawg97 /forum/post/15739903

any way to add more than 4 pages of favorites (24 total)?

Nope. And I asked the dealer tech support this also and they said the same thing due to memory that was allocated for certain aspects of the remote. Don't know if it is true for the answer I got but that was what I was told.

jimi

#56 ·
I like being able to have it in the dock and hit commands. It is a pain to have to pick it up and try and touch a button. When I am going to be there awhile I find it easier to unplug the dock from the power cord (stop it from charging). You just have to remember to plug it back in when you are done. There really is no difference then walking around and using it without it being in the dock station.

#58 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod /forum/post/15751410

I like being able to have it in the dock and hit commands. It is a pain to have to pick it up and try and touch a button. When I am going to be there awhile I find it easier to unplug the dock from the power cord (stop it from charging). You just have to remember to plug it back in when you are done. There really is no difference then walking around and using it without it being in the dock station.

right, if the dock is plugged in, it won't send commands. that would have involved a complete other set of testing/FCC approvals and so on.

#60 ·
Regarding my post #54 above, I think I'm having my first problems.

Like I said, the charging icon and all hard buttons were lit when in the dock.

When I went to use it I noticed it wasn't going to sleep even then.

Pulled the battery and after it rebooted it went to sleep like it should (about 20 secs which is how I have it set). Now when I put it in the dock the icon and button lights come on then go out in about 20 secs. like I remember it doing when I first got it. Apparently this is the correct behaviour.

Also I'm noticing parts of my touch screen (lower part) seem less responsive than the rest of the screen.

Is anyone else experiencing any of this.

#61 ·
I am only having one issue. Whenever I turn down the backlight (all the way) it goes back to Full Light when I put it back in its dock. Shouldn't there be a setting somewhere in the database? I could be missing it...

#62 ·
I have recently upgraded from the 1000 to the 1100 in order to get rid of the dreaded double hits and runaway volume (call me crazy but I trusted that this move would fix the issue). I have had the 1100 for 2 weeks now and my wife has noticed on two occasions that the 1100 has done double hits, although for briefer periods of time than the 1000. Has anyone else noticed this? Given that I have not yet noticed this issue I am holding out hope that my wife is imagining things. Otherwise, the thing works great and is a nice upgrade with the extra customizable features.

#63 ·
On one or two occasions now I have had the double hit take place. It only happened with my Onkyo 886 pro (pushing up or down with the directional pad) and the Masking System (pushing up or down with the directional pad). I fixed both by tweaking the remote with the software. I had it learn those commands (with original remote) instead of using the database ones. So far it has worked without it happening again.

#64 ·
HEy I mentioned the other day about trying to get a Nevo S50 or 70. Well I'm half there I got the software but now I got to get his windows computer. I only use MAC and you can't run the program through fusion. . . .so a few more days and I should have some more insite with differences.

jimi

#66 ·
I picked up the remote as an upgrade from the Harmony 1000 So far and biggest difference besides a few software changes has been its daily operation. It just performs smother then the 1000. There are no more hang up's, no sudden shut down like there was on the 1000. It is a shame that Logitech could not apply the differences of the 1100 to the 1000. By the way the clock that shows on the graph of the remote box is also on the remote. My suggestion is if you have a 1000 and it is working fine for you it might not be worth upgrading. I had issues with my 1000 since day one so 1100 was a welcome piece to my home theater.

#67 ·
I had problems with double hits and tried the suggestion of learning the commands from the original remote but the double hit problem still occurs. While the double hits are less frequent, I feel that it's fair to warn potential "upgraders" from the 1000 that this problem may not be completely fixed. I'm actually in the doghouse as I told my wife that this upgrade would be worth the cost as it would fix her biggest gripe with the 1000.

#68 ·
I forgot to mention that when you learn the commands from the original remote it helps if you change the name. Like UP2 or Down2. I found that it would revert back to the same command in the database if I did not rename the original remotes command. Then when you select it make sure you pick the custom one you made and not theirs. Hope this helps. It should. If not it could be your remote. I had it happen with 2 devices but once I did the above, it hasn't done it since.

#69 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentunc /forum/post/15799341

I had problems with double hits and tried the suggestion of learning the commands from the original remote but the double hit problem still occurs. While the double hits are less frequent, I feel that it's fair to warn potential "upgraders" from the 1000 that this problem may not be completely fixed. I'm actually in the doghouse as I told my wife that this upgrade would be worth the cost as it would fix her biggest gripe with the 1000.

Just want to check, have you tried adjusting the repeats setting?

#71 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod /forum/post/15774869

On one or two occasions now I have had the double hit take place. It only happened with my Onkyo 886 pro (pushing up or down with the directional pad) and the Masking System (pushing up or down with the directional pad). I fixed both by tweaking the remote with the software. I had it learn those commands (with original remote) instead of using the database ones. So far it has worked without it happening again.

I'm on this thread as I'm curious about the 1100. I'm currently a happy owner of the One (two of 'em), but am always interested in any improvements...

Regarding the "double-hit" issue, this is something I've experienced (with frustration) with my One for the main video system. It always does it while navigating my "Cars" Blu-ray disc's menu system (I think it's hiccuped on one or two other BDs though can't remember which). If I use the player's original remote (Samsung 1500), navigating the Cars menus work just fine.

So I'll update my One by learning the L/R/U/D commands directly from the Samsung's remote...thanks for the simple tip!

#75 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach430 /forum/post/15810032

Is the Harmony 1100 compatible with any light switches/dimmers? If so, can you suggest a couple for me.

Thanks,

I am using the Lutron products. It works great with the Harmony.

I believe the Lutron is the Maestro.

I hope that helps you out.

http://www.lutron.com/products/dimmers/?s=17000&t=17200

#76 ·
From checking the compatibility page on logitech's site, it looks like they are compatible with the Lutron Maestro IR dimmers. Would using one of these require that the remote be pointed at it vs a RF style one such as how the RF extender works? Does the remote work with RF switches?

I'm looking to control a few switches in separate parts of the house with this.

Thanks again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.