The Harmony 1100 Owner's Thread... - Page 65 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-06-2012, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Make sure all of the devices involved in the "sequence" are controlled by the same blaster - or that it goes to all of the blasters.

-Aaron
My Basement Movie Room and Bar/Game Room - actually doing stuff now... please comment!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2012, 07:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTAaron View Post

Make sure all of the devices involved in the "sequence" are controlled by the same blaster - or that it goes to all of the blasters.

Thanks for that PTAaron that solved the problem when you have the devices on the same IR... but my light switch works from the remote direct IR and my DVD/NMT Players work off the IR Imitters (hidden in cupboard) I dont think this would work either with an IR blaster as this would have to work with both the players and the light switch... I guess the only way would be to get an IR Imitter to the light switch
Old 05-07-2012, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 39
You could try getting one of the 900's mini blaster with a 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter and placing in view of the light switch. Similar to how PTAaron did. Then like PTAaron said have the command go to all the blasters.

You can get the 900's mini blasters for about 2 bucks from their website. You'll pay more for shipping.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman321 View Post

You could try getting one of the 900's mini blaster with a 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter and placing in view of the light switch. Similar to how PTAaron did. Then like PTAaron said have the command go to all the blasters.

You can get the 900's mini blasters for about 2 bucks from their website. You'll pay more for shipping.

That's what I was about to say.
Unless it can all be on the same blaster I don't think the sequences will work. The 1100 won't know what device it is sending the command to - so it won't separate out the light commands and blu-ray commands. If you have mapped it to a blu ray button, it "thinks" any command is meant for the player.

-Aaron
My Basement Movie Room and Bar/Game Room - actually doing stuff now... please comment!
Old 05-08-2012, 02:42 AM

Thanks for that guys I'm gonna have to contact Logitech UK as the mini blaster is not readily available online here in the UK... One other thing guys if I have 2 players & the light switch can I have all 3 on one Port
Old 05-08-2012, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiejones View Post

Thanks for that guys I'm gonna have to contact Logitech UK as the mini blaster is not readily available online here in the UK... One other thing guys if I have 2 players & the light switch can I have all 3 on one Port

I believe you can. I don't know if there is a limit per port, but I do know you can do at least 3 on one.

-Aaron
Old 05-08-2012, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

From my recollection the extender is limited to 8 devices total that it can control but as PTAaron said I don't believe any limit applies to port assignment. Just looked at the software, you should be ok. You can also assign all ports if necessary so the command would be sent to all ports simutaneously if you need to do it on seperate ports.

Here is a link to the blasters on the Logitech UK site. It's initially tricky to find on the US site, so I figured it was the same on the UK site. It is

www.logitech.com/en-gb/349/4873?pcid=4872

The blasters are about half down on that page.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:46 PM

delete
Old 05-09-2012, 11:10 AM

Quote:

From my recollection the extender is limited to 8 devices total that it can control but as PTAaron said I don't believe any limit applies to port assignment. Just looked at the software, you should be ok. You can also assign all ports if necessary so the command would be sent to all ports simutaneously if you need to do it on seperate ports.

Here is a link to the blasters on the Logitech UK site. It's initially tricky to find on the US site, so I figured it was the same on the UK site. It is

www.logitech.com/en-gb/349/4873?pcid=4872

The blasters are about half down on that page.

Many thanks buddy just ordered a couple from Logitech UK but it looks like they are coming from the US anyways
Old 05-11-2012, 11:16 AM

I have had the 1100 for a month now. One of Three activities are turn on receiver and TV (both new) and the TV is a Sharp 60 835U 3D. At least 1 out of 3 times when I push "watch TV" the TV does not go on. Also, when shutting off most of the time it turns off everything but the upside down V at the bottom of the TV that is lit up stays on when the TV turns off. Sometimes it turns off immediately. At some point the V turns off at sometime. Just happened and the V stayed lit for 10 minutes. Anyone else has this problem? So far the remote seems really sporadic.
Old 05-11-2012, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazonracer View Post

I have had the 1100 for a month now. One of Three activities are turn on receiver and TV (both new) and the TV is a Sharp 60 835U 3D. At least 1 out of 3 times when I push "watch TV" the TV does not go on. Also, when shutting off most of the time it turns off everything but the upside down V at the bottom of the TV that is lit up stays on when the TV turns off. Sometimes it turns off immediately. At some point the V turns off at sometime. Just happened and the V stayed lit for 10 minutes. Anyone else has this problem? So far the remote seems really sporadic.

If the "v" is on then the TV is on.

I'd move the TV on/off commands to the top of the activity sequences.

Picture without sound is surveillance.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:22 PM

I'm having an issue with my 1100 controlling the volume on a denon 3312. Sometimes when you hold the + or - down on the remote it only moves the volume .5 and sometimes it moves it continuous. Is there a setting I need to change to get it to be continuous every time when I hold the volume button down?
Old 05-21-2012, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Go to the receiver device and select troubleshoot. Then select this option.

"AV Receiver responds to some commands either too many times or only occasionally."

In your case I would try to increase by one or 2.

Let us know how you make out.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:56 PM

Quote:

Go to the receiver device and select troubleshoot. Then select this option.

"AV Receiver responds to some commands either too many times or only occasionally."

In your case I would try to increase by one or 2.

Let us know how you make out.

I decreased the time in between commands to 0 and increased the response by 1 to #4. Works perfect now. Thanks again.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:03 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
I am trying to decide on a remote solution and really like the idea of a "pad" type remote. I have looked at the Roomie and iRule but am a little turned off by no physical buttons. Also the Roomie seems to be an Apple platform so it's either a super small iPhone or a too darn big iPad!

For background info, all my gear will be in an AV room behind the theater. I pre-wired Cat5e from the screen wall to the AV rack, from the projector to the rack and from the Grafik Eye to the rack....thinking I could use it as long IR blasters.

I would like to control the AV gear (Pioneer Elite AVR, BR player and all the usual AV stuff, the lighting controlled with my Grafik Eye 3106, the projector (likely a JVC RS45 or 55), the Panamorph anamorphic lens sled, and eventually a Sonos tube motor for motorized masking for the screen.

Having a macro for "one button" operation of things like play movie or pause movie, would be ideal.

So, the 1100 caught my eye and I was wondering what the CONS of this remote/set up are and would this remote be capible of doing the above? I wouldn't mind the time involved in programing as long as it's user friendly.

Also, does this setup allow for feedback from devices?

Thanks
Old 05-24-2012, 09:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked: 430
Harmony doesn't do feedback (URC, RTI, Crestron, etc. do). And the 1100 doesn't do macros as you've described, only activities, which are special macros that only run to set up power/input states and key group mapping. You may prefer an android solution on a smaller device like the 7" Galaxy.

I personally prefer a remote with buttons so I don't have to look at it to use it. Also, standard remotes are simpler, much more durable, cheaper and don't have start up delays or require frequent charging. While touch screen remotes are fun to play with and beautiful to look at, that novelty wears off pretty quickly for me. But a lot of people absolutely love them, so it all comes down to personal preference. With a high end system like yours, I'd go for a real remote like RTI or Crestron.
Old 05-25-2012, 08:11 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the info. A couple more questions about the 1100 (or Harmony in general).

If I didn't "need" feedback, would the 1100 (or any Harmony) be able to set activities to do the following:

1) turn on Grafik Eye scene 1, turn on projector, turn on AVR, set correct input on AVR, turn on bluray, possibly engage motorized sled for anamorphic lens (it also has an IR remote)

2) change Grafik Eye to scene 2, play movie (with volume stillk mapped to AVR)

3) change Grafik Eye to scene 3, pause movie (with volume still mapped to AVR)

4) change Grafik Eye to scene 1, turn off AVR, turn off BluRay, turn off projector, engage sled to "out" position

Sorry for the lengthy questions. I am still looking for the best solution for my theater. I looked at the RTIs and Creston, but their units seem a little dated and that you need either a dealer or a rocket scientist to program them.

Ultimately I might have to go with a 7" tablet and use iRule, but I would really like hard volume and play/rew/ffw/pause, buttons.

I have also looked at the Harmony One and am not 100% opposed to it, even though 99% of those hard buttons wont ever get used.

The RTI T3 looks like a neat compromise, but again...I worry about programing it and the possibility of a dated technology.

Thanks
Old 05-25-2012, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoSport View Post

Thanks for the info. A couple more questions about the 1100 (or Harmony in general).

If I didn't "need" feedback, would the 1100 (or any Harmony) be able to set activities to do the following:

1) turn on Grafik Eye scene 1, turn on projector, turn on AVR, set correct input on AVR, turn on bluray, possibly engage motorized sled for anamorphic lens (it also has an IR remote)
Yes - this is what it does when it starts an activity. Youc an add commands to the start up of the activity like engaging your lens.
2) change Grafik Eye to scene 2, play movie (with volume stillk mapped to AVR)
Yes. It isn't as simple as programming it to work that way, but it isn't hard either. I have my 1100 set to turn my lights to a specific setting on "play", "pause" and "stop".
3) change Grafik Eye to scene 3, pause movie (with volume still mapped to AVR)

4) change Grafik Eye to scene 1, turn off AVR, turn off BluRay, turn off projector, engage sled to "out" position
If you want that to happen on "power down" you could add in the light and sled commands to the power down sequence.

Sorry for the lengthy questions. I am still looking for the best solution for my theater. I looked at the RTIs and Creston, but their units seem a little dated and that you need either a dealer or a rocket scientist to program them.

Ultimately I might have to go with a 7" tablet and use iRule, but I would really like hard volume and play/rew/ffw/pause, buttons.

I have also looked at the Harmony One and am not 100% opposed to it, even though 99% of those hard buttons wont ever get used.

The RTI T3 looks like a neat compromise, but again...I worry about programing it and the possibility of a dated technology.

Thanks

See above in blue.

-Aaron
Old 05-25-2012, 02:15 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks. It sounds like the 1100 (or One) will do what I was hoping a master remote needed to do.

The only small quirk might be the length of time for all commands to be sent vs the length of time holding the remote towards the IR receiver.

Anyone know if you can program discrete codes in to the activities, such as vertical stretch in the projector? I could see building an activity so one button sets up everything for a HDTV show and another activity sets everything up for a 2.35:1 Scope movie. (If the codes are possible)
Old 05-25-2012, 03:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked: 430
RF will solve this issue of holding the remote still. If you go that route, you'll need the 900 instead of the One. RF is an additional $80 or so on the 1100.

The above macros are easy on the One but not so easy on the 1100 (must use the raw learn trick). Macros are easy on most universal remotes except harmony.

There are a couple of ways to add discrete codes to harmony (assuming they exist): learn them from another remote (like JP1, which is my preference), import the pronto hex yourself with 3rd party software (difficult), or get support to add the pronto hex for you (long wait and possible cost if you add any outside of your warranty).

I think you underestimate your use of the hard buttons. The only buttons that might be rarely used are the numbers. You'll use vol, ch, menu/nav and transport buttons regularly.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

RF adapter is about $30 on eBay (refurbished) for the 1100.

-Aaron
Old 05-25-2012, 10:34 PM
Advanced Member

But am I correct in thinking that...

The 1100 need line of sight IR to the RF extender receiver and then the signal gets sent to the blaster via RF signal?

The 900 sends the signals via RF straight to a blaster, but will also send IR straight out of the remote if needed?

Will either work with multiple RF extenders?
Old 05-26-2012, 12:56 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoSport View Post

But am I correct in thinking that...

The 1100 need line of sight IR to the RF extender receiver and then the signal gets sent to the blaster via RF signal?

Not at all. The 1100 uses a RF transmitter to send commands to the RF Extender which then broadcasts IR commands.

Quote:

The 900 sends the signals via RF straight to a blaster, but will also send IR straight out of the remote if needed?

Both the 1100 and the 900 give you the option of direct line of sight IR control, or RF to IR control in another location as a user selected option for each device being controled. In my current 1100 setup, all commands go by RF to a second room. I've run a IR emitter wire back through the wall to the display. With that setup we don't need to point.

Quote:

Will either work with multiple RF extenders?

As I understand it they will but the number of extenders are limited.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:58 PM

Liked: 13
My remote just died (freezes up when I try to run an activity). It's around 3 months out of warranty. What are my chances that Logitech covers it?
Old 06-11-2012, 02:10 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerninja View Post

My remote just died (freezes up when I try to run an activity). It's around 3 months out of warranty. What are my chances that Logitech covers it?
Call them, but first try rebooting your remote. Take the battery out for twenty seconds or so and then reinsert it. Your 1100 may reboot and work normally. I've done that more than once with good results each time. All computers need a reboot once in a while. smile.gif
Old 06-14-2012, 05:48 PM

Is there anyway to add another TV function? I just bought the remote and I have TV set up for living room setup but I also watch Directv on my projector in the theater room. This has prob already been answered but honestly did want to read through the whole thread. rolleyes.gif Any help is appreciated!!
Old 06-15-2012, 12:21 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuttersky View Post

Is there anyway to add another TV function? I just bought the remote and I have TV set up for living room setup but I also watch Directv on my projector in the theater room. This has prob already been answered but honestly did want to read through the whole thread. rolleyes.gif Any help is appreciated!!
Inter all your devices and then do one activity for each combination of devices that you are interested in using.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

Inter all your devices and then do one activity for each combination of devices that you are interested in using.

I did that for the Watch TV and Watch DVD but I also need a 2nd Watch TV for other room. I apologize if I'm not understanding your suggestion.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:25 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuttersky View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

I did that for the Watch TV and Watch DVD but I also need a 2nd Watch TV for other room. I apologize if I'm not understanding your suggestion.
You can change the activity names so that you can have more than on Watch TV activity. Does that help? wink.gif

None of my Activity names are default. I'm using "Comcast TV", "Use OPPO Blu-ray", "Toshiba HD-DVD", "Play Music", "Play Game", and "Setup Denon". eek.gif
Old 06-23-2012, 01:49 PM

Hello, hoping for some help here.

I have my Harmony setup for watching TV. During the setup, I tell the software that I change channels with the STB, but control volume with the Receiver.

So I program the remote, and test it out. Watch TV turns on STB, TV and Receiver. Great. Except I can't control the volume! If I click through the menu on the remote and select the Receiver device, then the volume works, but not from the TV menu.

I tried the troubleshooting menu, but there doesn't seem to be an option that covers this situation. Any advice?

Thanks!

Tags
Harmony 1100 Remcontrol , Directv , Sony