AVS Forum banner

The Harmony 1100 Owner's Thread...

364K views 2K replies 372 participants last post by  pjp 
#1 ·
So I ran into a BB and picked up the new 1100 from Harmony. I just had the 1000 last month so doing a comparison was pretty easy. The software seems to run a lot smoother than it did with the 1000. There is also a lot of icons you can choose from to make your 1100 have more flare!
So far it has ran perfect and I have not had a single issue. I am going to hook it up with the RF extender shortly. I just want to get it dialed down before hand. I have it working my new Pioneer 09FD Blu ray unit, Onkyo 886 PRO, DirecTv HR21 PRO, Sony VW200 PJ, Lutron Maestro, Carada Masquerade Masking System and DVDO Edge. I haven't completed everything yet. I figure it will take another couple days to have it exactly the way I want it. I am in the middle of comparing Blu ray players at the moment which takes up a lot of time. I will say that the 1100 does not make any noise when it is docked. The 1000 made a high pitched squeal sound. I didn't like the fact either that I had to start from scratch setting up the 1100 (open new account). What I did to make it easier was a good idea (at least I think so
). I went to the 1000 and just wrote everything down page per page. It took awhile but it has made setting up the 1100 a lot easier. I have changed a couple of things but for the most part just followed my notes. My biggest complaint has to do with selecting (or lack there of) Activity icons. If I choose a generic activity I am stuck with their pale icon (symbol). I would like to be able to select my own icon from their database. Like the device icons would be perfect. Other than that one gripe so far I am good. No issues! It is very responsive and pretty strong considering I am as far away from my components as can be in my theater. I also like the all black look. Very nice. It actually matches my all black components.
So is it worth the money? It is if you want it now. I can see it being discounted pretty good not long from now. $499 is on the high side but could see spending $300 to $399 for one. I had a great coupon from BB plus a $50 gift card which made it an easy decision to try it out.

See less See more
#2 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod /forum/post/15637720

... I didn't like the fact either that I had to start from scratch setting up the 1100 (open new account). What I did to make it easier was a good idea (at least I think so
). I went to the 1000 and just wrote everything down page per page. It took awhile but it has made setting up the 1100 a lot easier. I have changed a couple of things but for the most part just followed my notes. ...

Why couldn't you have simply asked Logitech to clone your existing account as many others have done when adding a new remote and then replaced the remote in the cloned account with the 1100?

#3 ·
I did ask them. They said you have to start from scratch as confirmed here by a WannaBe (beta tester)... Believe me, if I could I sure would have. I have actually had fun doing each component over with new icons for channel options. I just work on a different component for awhile then make sure it is set before starting to work on another one. I have found using the hard button's channel up and downs comes in handy for making DSP UP and down selections. I also use the previous channel for THX on every component except DirecTVs. Then there is the hard page up and down buttons. Those come in handy for Menu and Returns or Menu and Info commands. I like the quick select for devices when you are in any activity. I have that set to go directly to my Lights and Masking System. I made my Onkyo 886 PRO, Edge and Sony PJ into an activity. Which is why I wish we could select the icons for generic activities from the device icons. They all three look alike. I wanted them to be like an activity since you can do so much more with channel icons and page settings. More flare!

#4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod /forum/post/15639313

I did ask them. They said you have to start from scratch as confirmed here by a WannaBe (beta tester)... Believe me, if I could I sure would have. I have actually had fun doing each component over with new icons for channel options. I just work on a different component for awhile then make sure it is set before starting to work on another one. I have found using the hard button's channel up and downs comes in handy for making DSP UP and down selections. I also use the previous channel for THX on every component except DirecTVs. Then there is the hard page up and down buttons. Those come in handy for Menu and Returns or Menu and Info commands. I like the quick select for devices when you are in any activity. I have that set to go directly to my Lights and Masking System. I made my Onkyo 886 PRO, Edge and Sony PJ into an activity. Which is why I wish we could select the icons for generic activities from the device icons. They all three look alike. I wanted them to be like an activity since you can do so much more with channel icons and page settings. More flare!

Joe,

I actually just picked up one too. My buddy can't get me one for a week or two but I really wanted to try it out. I think we are going out tonight but I have an hour now to get started on it. I'll post my thoughts also as I get on it.

Oh BTW how ya liking the 09?

jimi

#5 ·
Hey Jimi! I am doing comparison tests now as I post this. The 09 is one fine piece. I already have the 1100 controlling it without isse. In the page up and down hard buttons I put the Display and Pop Up Menu commands. Works great.

#6 ·
Joe,

I know you are all into the new 09 but figured I would through up my thoughts so far with the new remote.

So far I got activities for Comcast, Blu-Ray, and SDDVD. I also have my Nuvo GC up and running with the remote controlling the main unit, the Nuvo Sir/FM Tuner, iPod Docks, and a Comcast box. I also have airport express hooked up to the Nuvo GC but no control of that. I'm really liking the remote for the Nuvo setup. I don't have to have the Nuvo and Comcast remote handy anymore. I also have the remote controlling my Speco DVR which my security cameras are hooked up to. I have some IR's by the TV's which I send signal to via BNC. Works good. A little lag but the IR is traveling through CAT5 down to my structured wire box. Not sure if there is anything I can do about that. I also have to add my lighting in tomorrow. I have all IR stuff right now but am thinking about going over to zwave, but I don't think the 1100 supports zwave so kinda glad I haven't made a decision on that yet. Even if I can't do zwave on the 1100 it won't hinder me from switching if I decide to.

So here's what I'm not liking. I am coming from the 890 and One. I thought I would have had alot more flex with this remote.

First, I can only do 24 favorites for TV. I know that is alot but like 10 more would have been great.

Second, Now this might be just me but, the way they have buttons for "star", "heart", and "play" is driving me crazy. I can't make up my mind were to put buttons. I have been using the star for all the settings for the tv, reciever, dvd player or cable box. I have been using the play button for all the main stuff you need while watching a movie or certain channel like aspects, hdmi settings, and such. I just don't feel organized. I like pages. I don't know maybe cause it's new. I have to live with it now for a day or 2 and make changes then.

I have to call support tomorrow. I can't get the display button on my Marantz to work. I tried their buttons and I tried to learn it one my own from the remote. No go. . .

Thats it for now,

anyone else reading please chime in,

jimi

#7 ·
I was looking into the remote also but I upgrade recently to the harmony one and didnt like it so I returned it and kept my 880 remote. I felt I touched one button and it did somethign else. I am worried that I might drop 500 dollars on this remote and the same thing happens. I am also waiting for Logitec to come out with a 1000 series remote that also has blue tooth so it can correctly control my ps3 and use it to control the HTPC i built. I have the usb to ir device for my ps3 but it doenst turn on and off the ps3 it controlls it some what

#8 ·
I am getting more and more used to the 1100. I am now using it seamlessly with all of my stuff. It is very quick responding especially using it to turn the channels with my HD DVR. I am more than likely going to kepe it. I will install the RF extender early this week.

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod /forum/post/15650978

I am getting more and more used to the 1100. I am now using it seamlessly with all of my stuff. It is very quick responding especially using it to turn the channels with my HD DVR. I am more than likely going to kepe it. I will install the RF extender early this week.

I deff agree with the channel response. Very fast. I do with it did ZWave though. Would have been nice. I think my buddy has a Nevo s70 that I might "borrow" this week and do a quick setup of it.

The 1100 is great though. It might stick around just for using with my Nuvo system.

jimi

#11 ·
Hey, guys. Heard about this being shown at CES, and have been thinking about it. I've been using Harmony remotes for awhile, currently a One in my 5.1 setup, and an 880 in my theater setup. I've got an 890 and RF extender that I was going to use when I redo my 7.2 front projection setup (after my basement remodeling is done), since I'll be moving the gear to a closet in the back of the room (which may or may not be accessible without leaving the theater, at least for awhile). I think I might wait and see if the price drops a little bit (especially since I just sprung for a Pro-151fd for the family room). Definitely will be following this thread to see what you guys think longer term.

Keep the info coming!

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by schroedk /forum/post/15658837

Hey, guys. Heard about this being shown at CES, and have been thinking about it. I've been using Harmony remotes for awhile, currently a One in my 5.1 setup, and an 880 in my theater setup. I've got an 890 and RF extender that I was going to use when I redo my 7.2 front projection setup (after my basement remodeling is done), since I'll be moving the gear to a closet in the back of the room (which may or may not be accessible without leaving the theater, at least for awhile). I think I might wait and see if the price drops a little bit (especially since I just sprung for a Pro-151fd for the family room). Definitely will be following this thread to see what you guys think longer term.

Keep the info coming!

Like I said it I am really liking it. Tonight I had a problem with two buttons on my marantz. I decided to learn them in Raw and no problem now. They work perfect. Learning in Raw has solved any button issues.

The remote is flawless so far. Tonight is the second night using it so early still but I like it.

I really like the black color it has now and also the feel of it. It's got a very soft feel to it and it deff is very thin. Kinda square maybe I'm used to my iPhone's rectangular feel.

Remotes are deff a personal thing. I have never liked pronto's and others love them.

jimi

i will put any prob I have. If I don't post assume all is well!

#13 ·
I know I posted this elsewhere on the forum, but thought I'd get it in the official owners' thread.

Favorite icons for the new 1100 are now available at www.iconharmony.com .

As with the previous sets I will add to the batch in lots and in order of requests.

,R

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by squareeyes /forum/post/15687819

I know I posted this elsewhere on the forum, but thought I'd get it in the official owners' thread.

Favorite icons for the new 1100 are now available at www.iconharmony.com .

As with the previous sets I will add to the batch in lots and in order of requests.

,R

R,

Your icons are real nice. I have a few requests.

E the regular one we don't have it in hd yet like you have.

g4 you have for the others but not for the 1100. I'm using the 1000 one right now.

CMT the regular one we don't have it in hd yet.

DIY for the wife. using the 1000 right now.

Thanks for all the hard work. With the black background it looks real nice with your icons!

jimi

#16 ·
I just finished setting up the RF Extender with the 1100. No issues at all. I do suggest setting up everything first before adding the RF Extender. Now when I want to make an update I always need to add the RF Extender first then do the remote. It just takes longer but atleast I have everything set the way I wanted. I even made the Carada Masquerade Masking System work with the RF Extender!

#17 ·
Wish someone would have told me to set up everything first without the extender for my 890. EVERY TIME you tweak something you have to reprogram the extender first. I totally agree with Joe...set it up via ir first....dial it in....THEN add the extender. If I only had a dollar for every time I came upstairs with the remote to program it on the computer and FORGOT to bring the extender...I could be retired by now!

Chris

#19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimim /forum/post/15689350

R,

Your icons are real nice. I have a few requests.

E the regular one we don't have it in hd yet like you have.

g4 you have for the others but not for the 1100. I'm using the 1000 one right now.

CMT the regular one we don't have it in hd yet.

DIY for the wife. using the 1000 right now.

Thanks for all the hard work. With the black background it looks real nice with your icons!

jimi

you got it jimi. made and ready to d/l.

#20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickj4384 /forum/post/15690552

Does anybody know if it is possible to customize the buttons for the activities (Watch TV, Watch DVD, etc.) or can you only add custom buttons to the sidebar and favorite channels? Thanks.

unfortunately you're stuck with the activity icons preset in the software. you cannot customize those nor the 'devices' icons.

#22 ·
Are there sufficient ICON's to allow me to program these two distinct activities:

1. activity that allows me just to watch TV (sound coming out of TV speakers), and

2. activity that allows me to watch TV through receiver and surround speakers?

For example, I would imagine an icon that says "TV" and another that says "TV Surround."

Douglas

#23 ·
you will end up with two of the same 'watch tv' icons (with that great parrot on the flat screen). you can then label them what you with: "Watch TV", "Watch TV Surround", etc.

#26 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifoso /forum/post/15698300

I am able to get the 1100 for 50% off due to a problem with my old remote. The question is I am used to the 890 and like to do a lot of FF on my DVR. is this going to be akward with a touch screen or should justI get another 890.

that's a good question. if you prefer the one-handed ease of using a 'wand' style remote like your 890, then i would stay with that remote. i'm not a huge fan of the 8xx remotes, so if you don't need rf and can get the same deal with the harmony one then i would say do that.

i have the one, 880, 1000 and 1100 harmony remotes in my household to use mostly for testing. the biggest reason i don't use the 1100 and 1000 models for daily use is because i constantly have to look away from the screen to operate.

bottom line... if you're doing alot of one-handed ff'ing then stay with your 890 or upgrade to the one ("one-handed ff'ing" reads back kinda profane... how about "fast forwarding" instead).

,r

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.