Pls help Need remote code - Comcast Millenium 4 remote Harman/Kardon & Sony350 BR DVD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 02-07-2009, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi There,

I am trying to program a Comcast Millenium 4 remote for tv and all components. So far, I've been able to program, tv, cbl box, and harman kardon avr-220 receiver on but not off. I read another thread that discussed how to transfer the off to the setup button, however, this remote does not have 5number code capability but only 4.
I have read the instruction manuals and have tried searching but cannot find anything.
More specifically, I am looking ot turn off our Harman Kardon AVR220 receiver and SOny 350 Blue Ray DVD player using the Comcast Millenium 4 remote.

thanks. i appreciate your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 02-07-2009, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Use the same instructions you found elsewhere with these 3-digit advanced codes. Advanced codes can be 3 or 5 digit, depending on the remote, and represent specific commands. They are not the same thing as device codes. I think your remote uses 3-digit advanced codes and 4-digit device codes. If you found some 5 digit advanced codes for these commands elsewhere, just leave off the 2 leading zeros.

power on 173
power off 002

You can't transfer anything to the setup button. However, you can press the setup button followed by the above codes to send the command. You can transfer (key move) the commands to just about any other buttons besides setup and the device selection buttons. You may have meant that power off could be programmed onto shift-power, which is to say, press setup then power to perform power off. So power is power on and setup-power is power off. You can easily program that with the instructions you found. Same procedure as a key move, just press setup before the destination key.

Unfortunately these capabilities and extra codes are often undocumented.
post #3 of 15 Old 02-07-2009, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter

Hi I did try what you suggested and it is still not working. These are the instructions I used along with the dropping the leading zeroes as you suggested. Also, I tried using the VCR button instead of the setup button just to see if it would work and didn't work for that either. Perhaps I am missing something.

You can fix all of that.

"To add Power Off to Shift-Power button (accessed by pressing and release SETUP and then pressing POWER)
1. Press and release AUX
2. Press and hold SETUP until the remote blinks twice
3. Type 994
4. Press and release SETUP
5. Type 00002
6. Press and release SETUP
7. Press and release POWER
The remote should blink twice to confirm
Now, POWER will turn on and pressing SETUP, releasing and then POWER will turn off the receiver. If you don't want to put the power off on shifted key, pick another key and leave out step 6 and press the key you want for step 7."
post #4 of 15 Old 02-07-2009, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Using setup code Audio 0110, try the following to put the standby command on the shifted power key:

1. Aud or Aux
2. press and hold SETUP for two blinks
3. enter 9 9 4
4. tap SETUP for one blink
5. enter 1 7 3
6. press SETUP
7. press POWER key

Forget about a preset code for the Sony blu-ray player, only remotes released after the blu-ray players became popular have a preset code.
post #5 of 15 Old 02-07-2009, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

Hi,

Sorry it's still not working. I do not have an auxillary button just an Audio button. Does that make a difference? Just so I'm clear. Should I reprogram the audio, then once setup following your steps?

Thanks.
post #6 of 15 Old 02-07-2009, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

No it doesn't matter if you use AUX or Audio device. First does it accept SETUP code 0110? And does that work for your receiver at all?
post #7 of 15 Old 02-07-2009, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Yes. Code 0110 does work and it turns the receiver on, but that's all.
post #8 of 15 Old 02-07-2009, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

I did the math wrong, try advanced code 173 instead of 163.

If it doesn't work on the shifted power key, then use any unused key in the Audio device, so:

1. Aud or Aux
2. press and hold SETUP for two blinks
3. enter 9 9 4
4. tap SETUP for one blink
5. enter 1 7 3
6. pick any unused key
post #9 of 15 Old 02-08-2009, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter

HI Edmond,

It's still not working. I am thinking that perhaps this remote is too primitive for what has evolved out there. I am thinking of getting one of the logitech remotes. Are you familiar with them? We are looking at either the Harmony 1, Harmony 890 or Harmony 880. Any suggestions?

Thanks again for all your help.
post #10 of 15 Old 02-08-2009, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter

Hi There,

I used the code you suggested 002 along with Edmonds instructions and it finally turned off. Just happened. Thanks! IS there also a way to change the sources on the receiver? Update...sorry, just realised the number keys change the source. Thanks again!
post #11 of 15 Old 02-08-2009, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Glad its working, try some of the advanced codes here:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/cgi-bin2/ueic.cgi?amp_0110
post #12 of 15 Old 09-07-2009, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

I can understand all of this and can program the remote to do it, but it is still a work around if you ask me. If the remote can turn on all of the devices with the one ALL ON button, why can it not turn off all of the devices with the same button? I hate having to hit ALL ON to turn off the tv and cable box and then having to hit AUX, SETUP and POWER to just turn the receiver off.

Any solution to this?
post #13 of 15 Old 09-07-2009, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

The HK doesn't have power toggle. That's HK's fault, not the remote's. However, you can put any macro or any command on just about any button you want. So the solution is to write your own on and off macros and put them on any buttons you like. Since the HK uses 2 different commands you can't use a single button for it, at least not on the Millennium 4 remote. You don't have to put OFF on Setup-Power. That's just a logical, easy to remember place to put it. You can put it on any button. You can also make a macro that includes pressing the AUX button too. Two button presses, one for all on and another for all off, is the best you're going to be able to do. Even harmony uses 2 different buttons for on and off macros, so you'll have to spend a lot more money and do some serious programming to get a single button solution. Sorry.
post #14 of 15 Old 09-07-2009, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

The HK doesn't have power toggle. That's HK's fault, not the remote's. However, you can put any macro or any command on just about any button you want. So the solution is to write your own on and off macros and put them on any buttons you like. Since the HK uses 2 different commands you can't use a single button for it, at least not on the Millennium 4 remote. You don't have to put OFF on Setup-Power. That's just a logical, easy to remember place to put it. You can put it on any button. You can also make a macro that includes pressing the AUX button too. Two button presses, one for all on and another for all off, is the best you're going to be able to do. Even harmony uses 2 different buttons for on and off macros, so you'll have to spend a lot more money and do some serious programming to get a single button solution. Sorry.

I have a HK635 that I use with a Harmony 880 and it toggles on and off fine. I guess you mean that the Harmony uses one code for on and another for off. But on the Comcast 3-1 DVR remote, it uses only one code and expects the AVR to toggle on or off with it. I got a deal on a HK154 and set it up in my game room, where I also use the same Comcast remote. It never occurred to me that it would turn on but not turn off.

How can I set it up so that pressing the AUX button twice will turn the unit off, as opposed to AUX-SETUP-POWER?
post #15 of 15 Old 09-09-2009, 10:46 PM
AVS Special Member

You can't use the device buttons for macros, generally speaking. Otherwise it would be impossible to select devices. The most practical solution would be to pick any other button, like an unused PIP key like PIP ON/OFF maybe, and put a macro on it with the steps AUX-SETUP-POWER. That will turn off the HK in any mode with a single key press. The HOW TO link in my sig tells how to program macros. You may also want to add another device key to the end of that macro so the remote ends up in a device mode other than AUX after you press the button. You could put an AUX-POWER macro on a nearby key for a one-key power ON if you wanted.

With JP1 programming, you can put whatever you like on the device keys and program double key press macros as well. But that's not an option with your particular model remote.

If your harmony can really toggle the HK on and off in device mode using a single button, outside of switching activities or pressing the main power button, then I must be missing something.
Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page