Considering Harmony One + Hot Link Pro - problems with exposed components? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 02-10-2009, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey everyone. I'm looking at getting a universal remote system going and hoping that Harmony would put out an RF ONE, but it doesn't look like that is happening any time soon. So I am considering a Harmony ONE and getting a Hot Link Pro to help control everything. But I need a little advice:

1) Is this set up going to work for me? My components:

TV - Samsung LN46A550 (LCD)
Receiver - Sony STR-DG820
Blu-Ray - Sony BDP-S350
Satellite - DirecTV HR-21
Media - Apple TV

I've heard about some Hot Link issues with Sony receivers (although only ES ones) as well as HR-21 being a pain with IR repeaters. I believe the Harmony should be fine with all of these.

2) My components will actually be exposed in glass cabinets. When I bought it, I didn't realize the angles would be bad enough to need an IR repeater/RF solution. I can hit most but typically not all my components from any spot that is not directly in front of the cabinet. So if I hook up the Hot Link Pro with the IR blasters over the IR ports for each of the components, is it likely to have crossover with picking up signals from the Harmony and the Hot Link Pro? Or does having the blasters on top of the IR port take care of that? If there is crossover, how do you resolve that? I'd hate to think I actually would need to hide the components now and I actually like seeing all the pretty status lights. :-)

Thanks in advance for your time and help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-10-2009, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

I haven't heard of problems with either of your questions, but you should give Hot Link a call at 800-999-8846 and ask for Marcus, who's the guru on everything Hot Link.

Enjoy!

Mike
Surf Remote Control
Contributing reviewer and THX calibrator, ProjectorReviews.com
post #3 of 6 Old 02-10-2009, 03:17 PM
tjk
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felder71 View Post

Hey everyone. I'm looking at getting a universal remote system going and hoping that Harmony would put out an RF ONE, but it doesn't look like that is happening any time soon. So I am considering a Harmony ONE and getting a Hot Link Pro to help control everything. But I need a little advice:

1) Is this set up going to work for me? My components:

TV - Samsung LN46A550 (LCD)
Receiver - Sony STR-DG820
Blu-Ray - Sony BDP-S350
Satellite - DirecTV HR-21
Media - Apple TV

I've heard about some Hot Link issues with Sony receivers (although only ES ones) as well as HR-21 being a pain with IR repeaters. I believe the Harmony should be fine with all of these.

2) My components will actually be exposed in glass cabinets. When I bought it, I didn't realize the angles would be bad enough to need an IR repeater/RF solution. I can hit most but typically not all my components from any spot that is not directly in front of the cabinet. So if I hook up the Hot Link Pro with the IR blasters over the IR ports for each of the components, is it likely to have crossover with picking up signals from the Harmony and the Hot Link Pro? Or does having the blasters on top of the IR port take care of that? If there is crossover, how do you resolve that? I'd hate to think I actually would need to hide the components now and I actually like seeing all the pretty status lights. :-)

Thanks in advance for your time and help.

It seems as though you're worried about your components getting duplicate commands? (from the remote and the Hot Link). If that's the case, why not apply a little electrical tape over the blasters? This way, the IR commands from the remote will not be received.

As for your issue with the HR-21 being a pain, I haven't found that to be the case at all. I have my HR-21 being controlled by both a Xantech repeater system with a run of 75' and by an RF remote from Harmony with an IR blaster attached to it (so I have two IR blasters over the sensor) and haven't experience any issues with either remote.

tjk
post #4 of 6 Old 02-11-2009, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Mike and tjk for your responses. Electrical tape over the blasters...great idea. That should work quite well for almost all my components since they are black anyway, except for the Apple TV, but I can deal. I also read something about putting the black tape on the IR port itself, but with just a little hole that is covered by the blaster to focus the signal. Thanks again.
post #5 of 6 Old 02-11-2009, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felder71 View Post

Thanks Mike and tjk for your responses. Electrical tape over the blasters...great idea. That should work quite well for almost all my components since they are black anyway, except for the Apple TV, but I can deal. I also read something about putting the black tape on the IR port itself, but with just a little hole that is covered by the blaster to focus the signal. Thanks again.

Well, the tape doesn't have to be black you know?

post #6 of 6 Old 02-11-2009, 07:41 AM
tjk
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

Well, the tape doesn't have to be black you know?

:-) They do make white electrical tape, probably for the sole purpose of looking good on an Apple TV unit. In reality, the tape doesn't need to be electrical, just something opaque enough to surpress the ir signal. I bet a couple of pieces of masking tape or painters tape would work too.

You don't need to put tape over both the blaster and the sensor, although it won't hurt anything.

tjk
Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page