Harmony Sometimes Not Changing TV Input? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 02-20-2009, 04:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just got a brand new Harmony 550 and am very excited about it. It has been working great for me, but I am having one strange problem with it: It is failing to set the input on my TV correctly when I choose "Watch a DVD", but the Help feature fixes it every time. Here are the important components:

Samsung LNT4065F TV
Sony DVP-NS75H DVD Player (Hooked to input HDMI2 on TV)

When I click "Watch a DVD", the TV turns on, the DVD Player turns on, but the TV does NOT go to HDMI2. If I press Help, the TV DOES go to HDMI2 and everything is fine. The TV input is normally changed using commands such as InputHDMI2 rather than cycling through the various inputs.

Even if the TV is already on when I click "Watch a DVD", the TV still fails to change to HDMI2. So I don't think it's a problem with the Power On Delay of the TV (though I've tried adjusting that).

All other functions of the remote work great for me (watching TV through my cable box, switching to my Wii input on the TV, etc). All other Activities can correctly choose their TV input.

I've tried messing with various things in the setup. I've switched the DVD to a different input (AV1), adjusted various delays when it made sense to, etc. None of these help.

The ONLY thing I've found that helps is this (and this is the strange part): If I change the DVD player to be always on, everything works fine. But this is not the configuration I want to have my system in. If I change it back to powering off when not in use, it fails to change the TV input again.

It's almost as if sending the PowerOn command to the DVD player messes up the changing of the TV input command. And yes, I've tried increasing Inter-Device Delay on the TV with no luck.

I believe I have a pretty good understanding of how the remote works and how to adjust various settings in the software. This is what I believe at least...

I spent 40 minutes with tech support last night (trying all the stuff I already tried) with no luck. He ran out of ideas and said he would forward me to the Level 2 support, but I had to get going so he put a note on my account to let me go to Level 2 the next time I call.

Until then, I thought I'd put this message up here to see what you all think.

Thanks!

tjfritter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-20-2009, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
It sounds to me like your TV will not switch to inputs that aren't receiving a video signal, and it is taking your DVD player too long to power on and send a signal so the TV won't switch to that input.

You need to insert a delay in between the power on command for the DVD player, and the HDMI2 command for your TV.
post #3 of 13 Old 02-21-2009, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I have the same issue (Harmony 520), it's because the TV will not switch inputs until it has been on for about 5 seconds, this is true even if using the TV's original remote. I just programmed the input button to be the first one on the remote LCD screen. I hit watch a dvd, and then hit "input" once. No big deal, I just have to press one extra button, and it's quicker/easier than using the help function.
post #4 of 13 Old 02-21-2009, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamZX11 View Post

I have the same issue (Harmony 520), it's because the TV will not switch inputs until it has been on for about 5 seconds, this is true even if using the TV's original remote. I just programmed the input button to be the first one on the remote LCD screen. I hit watch a dvd, and then hit "input" once. No big deal, I just have to press one extra button, and it's quicker/easier than using the help function.

If this really is your only problem then there is no reason to do it this way. You just need to increase the Power On delay for your TV to 5000ms.

Tjfritter's problem exists even if the TV is already on, which means it is not a Power-On delay issue.
post #5 of 13 Old 02-21-2009, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerstalker View Post

If this really is your only problem then there is no reason to do it this way. You just need to increase the Power On delay for your TV to 5000ms.

Tjfritter's problem exists even if the TV is already on, which means it is not a Power-On delay issue.

There is a need to do it this way. The delays don't work, I've set it as high as 9000ms, It sends all the commands at once the first time I hit "watch a dvd". You can watch the lights, there is no delayed command 9 seconds later. If I try it again, you can see it send all the commands, and then a delayed command, but for some reason, it never works if the remote has been idle for a while.
post #6 of 13 Old 02-21-2009, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamZX11 View Post

There is a need to do it this way. The delays don't work, I've set it as high as 9000ms, It sends all the commands at once the first time I hit "watch a dvd". You can watch the lights, there is no delayed command 9 seconds later. If I try it again, you can see it send all the commands, and then a delayed command, but for some reason, it never works if the remote has been idle for a while.

There is something wrong then. The Power On delay is the delay between the power command and the next command that the same device will respond to. So if you set your TVs power on delay to 5000ms the Harmony remote will send out the power command, then wait 5 seconds before it sends out the next command (such as the command to switch inputs). If the Harmony remote is not waiting 5 seconds then either the remote was not updated properly, or for some reason it thinks the TV is already on (someone turned the TV off without using the all off button on the Harmony).

Another possible cause for this problem would be someone not keeping the remote pointed at the devices long enough. There is a setting in the Harmony software that should allow you to keep a warning on the screen saying to make sure to keep the remote pointed at the devices until the activity is done running. I find that this is important to keep on because many people that aren't used to Harmony remotes don't realize that they need to keep them pointed until the activity is done running.
post #7 of 13 Old 02-21-2009, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerstalker View Post

There is something wrong then. The Power On delay is the delay between the power command and the next command that the same device will respond to. So if you set your TVs power on delay to 5000ms the Harmony remote will send out the power command, then wait 5 seconds before it sends out the next command (such as the command to switch inputs). If the Harmony remote is not waiting 5 seconds then either the remote was not updated properly, or for some reason it thinks the TV is already on (someone turned the TV off without using the all off button on the Harmony).

Another possible cause for this problem would be someone not keeping the remote pointed at the devices long enough. There is a setting in the Harmony software that should allow you to keep a warning on the screen saying to make sure to keep the remote pointed at the devices until the activity is done running. I find that this is important to keep on because many people that aren't used to Harmony remotes don't realize that they need to keep them pointed until the activity is done running.

I'm fully aware of how the remote works, I've been using it since 2006. There is nothing wrong with it. I have two of them, bought two years apart, and they both act exactly the same. Like I said, you can watch the blue light flash with the commands, if the remote has been idle, it doesn't delay the input command. If you shut everything off, and hit "watch a DVD" again, you can clearly see that it does delay the input command. Probably some firmware bug with the 520.

I realise that the OP's problem isn't quite the same as mine, I was just offering a very simple work around, rather than using the help function, as that requires a few more button press'.
post #8 of 13 Old 02-22-2009, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the ideas. I probably would have done something like you said, WilliamZX11, if I hadn't found another solution.

Beerstalker, my TV will skip inputs that do not have a connection when I go through them sequentially with the Source command, but it is perfectly happy to switch to an input that has no connection when I use a direct command, like InputHDMI2.

But incidentally, how would I have put in a delay between the power on of the DVD and the changing of the TV source? That might come in handy in the future...

Anyway, I finally got through to Level 2 tech support from Logitech. What they did was change my Watch A DVD activity to sent the InputHDMI2 command to the TV three times (which apparently I can't do on my end with the normal software) rather than once. That seemed to have fixed it. It still feels a bit like a hack around the problem, but it works so I won't complain.

And now that I think about it, I think the delay you talked about would have fixed my problem as well.

Thanks for all your help.

Tim
post #9 of 13 Old 02-25-2009, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
My Toshiba LCD will not work correctly until the bulbs are warmed up, 30 to 50 seconds, even with their remote. Cold CFL's to terrible things in the IR, and RF.
post #10 of 13 Old 02-21-2010, 02:00 PM

I'm a little late to the party I know (today is 2-21-10) but...
For some reason the Harmony Remotes do NOT like to switch inputs on Samsung TV's when they are first turned on. I am using one of their latest plasmas (PN58B860) and the latest Harmony Remote (the 900) To let you all know: I have had a four different Harmonys since they bought the technology from Intrigue in 2003, so I am intimately familiar with their use (I post on the Logitech forums a lot). Anyway, the later TV's and Harmony Remotes have no problem switching inputs for Activities--once they are on. You can switch from one activity to another that requires a different input and it works great over and over. But when you turn on the first activity requiring the TV, the correct input is only selected one time out of eight or nine. Increasing the delay for Power On (even as much as 15 or 20 seconds) does not change this so my solution was to put an "Input" command to go to the correct input--at the END of each activity sequence requiring the TV. This way, if the power on input was not correct initially, it ended up being correct by the time the Activity was completely on and running. If it still doesn't work, then the same solution would work except you would also program in a time delay (in seconds) BEFORE it "pushes" the correct input button.
post #11 of 13 Old 12-22-2010, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
dont' feel bad. I'm even later.

Harmony 880 that won't dependably switch inputs on a Mitsubishi L75-A91. The damn TV remote needs to use two buttons and the directional pad to change "activities" (which basically changes inputs between ANT, HDMIs 1-4, or VUDU).

I need to press the "Activity" button, then navigate up/down right/left to the activity or input, and then press "Select" to change inputs. There does not appear to be any type of discrete code on Mitsubishi's remote, and the Harmony programming interface doesn't appear to have a clear set selection for this type of input selection.

Highly frustrating to have such a great looking (and expensive) television, that I cannot reliably use my Logitech Harmony to control!

I am working up a post on Logitech's forums to see what they might suggest. Being a new, and somewhat rare television model, perhaps their database of code isn't quite up to date.

http://forums.logitech.com/t5/MyHarm...ut/td-p/508572

Regards,
Spence

SpenceJT

www.spenceplace.com

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!"
- Malcolm Reynolds, Capt. "Serenity" -
post #12 of 13 Old 12-24-2010, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpenceJT View Post
dont' feel bad. I'm even later.

Harmony 880 that won't dependably switch inputs on a Mitsubishi L75-A91. The damn TV remote needs to use two buttons and the directional pad to change "activities" (which basically changes inputs between ANT, HDMIs 1-4, or VUDU).

I need to press the "Activity" button, then navigate up/down right/left to the activity or input, and then press "Select" to change inputs. There does not appear to be any type of discrete code on Mitsubishi's remote, and the Harmony programming interface doesn't appear to have a clear set selection for this type of input selection.

Highly frustrating to have such a great looking (and expensive) television, that I cannot reliably use my Logitech Harmony to control!

I am working up a post on Logitech's forums to see what they might suggest. Being a new, and somewhat rare television model, perhaps their database of code isn't quite up to date.

http://forums.logitech.com/t5/MyHarm...ut/td-p/508572

Regards,
Spence
I added your device to my Harmony account and I could see there are discrete codes for selecting specific inputs for your L75-A91 (InputAntenna 1, InputAntenna 2, Input 1, Input 2, InputHdmi 1, InputHdmi 2, InputHdmi 3, InputHdmi 4). Can you check and confirm that?
If so, you must choose Method 2 for input selection: Device -> Settings -> Adjust inputs -> Method 2 -> Review list of inputs (click Next) -> Select the remote buttons (check them to be ok and click Next) -> Done -> Done.
This should suffice.
post #13 of 13 Old 12-24-2010, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpenceJT View Post

There does not appear to be any type of discrete code on Mitsubishi's remote, and the Harmony programming interface doesn't appear to have a clear set selection for this type of input selection. ...

Regards,
Spence

Most Mitsubishi TVs have a way to set the original remote into a mode that produces discrete codes for inputs,power, and screen format. Then you can have your Harmony learn the discrete codes. Try the method outlined in this post if you haven't tried it yet. Good luck.

Jay
Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List