Comcast DTA & Series 2 TiVo IR Control - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-20-2009, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently received a Pace DC50X Digital Transport Adapter (DTA) from Comcast for viewing of expanded basic cable channels. I currently have a TiVo Series 2 DVR. After connecting the DTA I'd like to forgo using the IR blasters/receivers and use a data cable instead. The TiVo features a 1/8" IR control port for the blasters and the DTA has one for an external receiver. The TiVo blaster cable plug appears to be mono. The DTA receiver is a stereo plug.

Is it possible to use a male to male 1/8" plug to connect these two control ports directly?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2009, 08:54 PM

Did you try the 1/8" male-to-male? Did it work?
Old 06-18-2009, 12:42 AM

I have a similar situation -- series 1 tivo, newfangled comcast DTA, they both have a 1/8" IR port. It works using the blaster+extender, but I'd really prefer to just have a simple cable between the two. Neither a mono nor stereo 1/8" cable worked.. is there any hope of getting this to work, or am I going to have to tape two dongles together?
Old 06-27-2009, 02:39 PM

The DTA does not require the IR dongle to recieve remote commands, there is an IR sensor in the small window on the front of the box. Therefore, you can affix the TiVo dongle directly to the DTA. The IR dongle included with the DTA is only necessary if you need to extend the range of your remote, mainly if you want to hide the DTA, behind the TV for example.

PS: If you're having trouble with remote sensitivity while using the DTA dongle (angle etc) try just removing it. The built in sensor works way better in my experience.
Old 06-28-2009, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadHat_X View Post

I recently received a Pace DC50X Digital Transport Adapter (DTA) from Comcast for viewing of expanded basic cable channels. I currently have a TiVo Series 2 DVR. After connecting the DTA I'd like to forgo using the IR blasters/receivers and use a data cable instead. The TiVo features a 1/8" IR control port for the blasters and the DTA has one for an external receiver. The TiVo blaster cable plug appears to be mono. The DTA receiver is a stereo plug.

Is it possible to use a male to male 1/8" plug to connect these two control ports directly?

Thanks in advance.

I have a related question. My folks in ATL were just told their system (comcast?) is moving to digital. they have a series 2 tivo. if they aren't getting any premium (encrypted) channels do they even need to use the box comcast sent them? the series 2 says it is digital cable ready.