URC RF20 questions - macros on main buttons and disable IR - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 28 Old 04-02-2009, 05:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm taking a hard look at the URC RF20 with RF base station on Amazon but had a couple of questions I couldn't find answers to.

1) On the MAIN buttons, where you can select a device, can those be programmed as macros? I'd love to be able to press DIRECTV to choose the device and then have it power on the correct devices. And then OFF could turn off everything. Not as good as activities from Harmony but close enough.

2) Can you disable IR output so it's just RF? My devices are behind glass and visible but the angles are horrible depending on where we sit so RF is ideal. But I'd hate to get double hits if you can't stop the URC RF20 from sending IR.

Thanks for any info.

Adam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 04-02-2009, 08:50 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
1) Yes
2) No. It will always send the IR signals but once you place the IR emitters from the MRF100 on your devices you can cover that with black electrical tape to prevent other IR signals from bleeding through.
post #3 of 28 Old 04-02-2009, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felder71 View Post

But I'd hate to get double hits if you can't stop the URC RF20 from sending IR.

They've had remotes that send both IR and RF all the time for years now and it's seldom a problem. In the unlikely event that it is, just use Jim's solution with some electrical tape.

Enjoy!

Mike
Surf Remote Control
Contributing reviewer and THX calibrator, ProjectorReviews.com
post #4 of 28 Old 04-02-2009, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone...one more question. How well does the URC RF20 play with the Apple TV, specifically as far as powering off. To power an Apple TV off, you need to press Menu at most 3 times, then down at most 5 times, then Select, then down at most 7 times, then Select. A real hassle obviously. Will this be able to be programmed in a Macro on the LCD screen so I can hit one button to power off the Apple TV and then hit the main Off button to turn off everything else (as they have discrete off buttons)? Thanks again for your help.
post #5 of 28 Old 04-02-2009, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felder71 View Post

Thanks everyone...one more question. How well does the URC RF20 play with the Apple TV, specifically as far as powering off. To power an Apple TV off, you need to press Menu at most 3 times, then down at most 5 times, then Select, then down at most 7 times, then Select. A real hassle obviously. Will this be able to be programmed in a Macro on the LCD screen so I can hit one button to power off the Apple TV and then hit the main Off button to turn off everything else (as they have discrete off buttons)? Thanks again for your help.

I doubt it, first of all there isn't a preset code for the appletv in the RF20. You would have to teach all commands.

Second the ON & OFF macros on the RF20 are global, the same macro shows in all devices including the main page.
post #6 of 28 Old 04-02-2009, 08:08 PM
AVS Club Gold

Unfortunately the Apple TV is PITA to control with any remote. Not just because of all the steps you mention but because the steps are never the same. The number of commands you have to navigate while listening to music is different than while watching a movie.
post #7 of 28 Old 04-03-2009, 05:20 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks again everyone. I understand that On and Off macros are universal, so my plan is that I can set the Component buttons to select a device as a macro to power on the right devices (i.e. SAT would turn on TV, turn on DirecTV, turn on receiver, discrete off to Blu-Ray, change input to SAT). Then the OFF would use the discrete off buttons on all devices. I may just have to stick with manual on/off for Apple TV but the convenience of RF would trump that.

My local Sears has it for $80 with the RF blaster and the return policy is 30 days so I'll give it a shot. Thanks again!
post #8 of 28 Old 04-03-2009, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

You may want to get this deal instead:

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/58-13155
post #9 of 28 Old 04-06-2009, 05:19 AM - Thread Starter

Hey everyone! I picked up the URC RF20 this weekend and I love it! I programmed everything by learning and it really didn't take that long. And all of the devices are set up so when I press the device button, the right actions occur to turn on the proper devices and turn off any unneeded devices. It also just feels extremely responsive, as opposed to my Harmony, especially with my DirecTV DVR. I dare say it's faster than the pack-in remote. And the RF is awesome...I can't imagine I'll be able to get another remote without it. Never have to worry about line of sight again and once I push a macro button, I can put the remote down and let it do it's thing.

My only "issues" are that I have to manually turn off the Apple TV (but that's more the device's fault than anything and I've created macros to help out) and that I couldn't have programmed it properly without a Harmony, as the Harmony brings out the discrete power on/off codes that aren't in the included remotes. But for $80, it's awesome and I can sell off the Harmony to more than make up for it.

Thanks again everyone for your help! I'm now a URC fan for life.
post #10 of 28 Old 04-11-2009, 12:51 PM

Why, oh why did they get rid of device-specific ON/OFF macros on the RF20?!

I just picked up an RF20 (my third from Universal Remote) and I was very disappointed to discover that the ON/OFF button macros are now global. Why would anyone want EVERY component in their system turned on all of the time? If I want to watch TV, I only want the TV components turned on.

So it appears that the hard ON/OFF buttons are essentially useless. I guess I'll have to create special ON/OFF LCD buttons for my different devices. Am I missing something obvious? If any of you have a strategy for dealing with this limitation, I would love to hear it.
post #11 of 28 Old 04-11-2009, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Roberto,

I don't see this as too much of a hardship, as you can put the 'on' macros specfic to a device on the LCD device buttons on page 1. The 'off' hard button can hold a system wide off macro.

Jonathan
post #12 of 28 Old 04-12-2009, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwhite View Post

Roberto,

I don't see this as too much of a hardship, as you can put the 'on' macros specfic to a device on the LCD device buttons on page 1. The 'off' hard button can hold a system wide off macro.

Jonathan

Thanks Jonathan. I decided to set up a "POWER" screen that has LCD buttons with macros to turn on my various device components (TV, DVD, etc.) And I inserted an "OFF" LCD button in each device that powers down all of the components (and returns to the POWER screen).

The only way I can see using the hard OFF button is if you have discrete power on/off codes for all of your components (otherwise you'll end up turning on components). I haven't bothered buying a secondary learning remote so I can teach discrete codes to the RF20.

All in all, I'm pretty satisfied with my current setup. But it's still perplexing that Universal Remote would make a change that really limits the usefulness of the hard ON/OFF buttons.
post #13 of 28 Old 07-11-2009, 07:59 AM

Hello, after buying this remote several years ago, I am trying to reprogram one device. I cannot find the software to do this. Does anyone have it? Thanks.
post #14 of 28 Old 07-11-2009, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

The Rf20 isn't PC programmable at all, so there isnt software to get.
post #15 of 28 Old 07-14-2009, 10:13 AM

Hi Edmund, thanks for your response. I was able to find a download (probably pirated) a couple of years ago to change some programming on the RF20. I have the special cord, but I don't want to hire someone to program it just because I got a new TV. Any ideas at all? Thanks!
post #16 of 28 Old 07-14-2009, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurasduncan View Post

Hi Edmund, thanks for your response. I was able to find a download (probably pirated) a couple of years ago to change some programming on the RF20. I have the special cord, but I don't want to hire someone to program it just because I got a new TV. Any ideas at all? Thanks!

Sorry, as you can see from my first response I am completely in the dark when comes to programming a Rf20 via pc, so no, I haven't the slightiest idea where to find this.
post #17 of 28 Old 08-07-2010, 12:44 PM

This is probably an overly elementary question, but it matters...
Most of my components are hidden so the RF to IR capability will be necessary, however, my motorized projector screen is RF. Can these learning remotes (like the RF20 or the 890) learn different RF "codes" like they can learn various IR codes? Or is it limited via RF in talking only to the RF receiver that it comes with?
Anyone?
post #18 of 28 Old 08-07-2010, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 376
No they can't. They can only talk to their own receiver.
post #19 of 28 Old 07-06-2011, 09:43 AM

I have the RF20 and when I use the macro to power on my components, it turns my cable box on, then off again. How can I fix this problem?
post #20 of 28 Old 02-01-2013, 05:53 PM

Does anyone know if this broadcasts both RF and IR signals simultaneously? I want to use RF for components and IR for a TV that can't access the RF controller.
post #21 of 28 Old 02-05-2013, 12:37 PM
Vin
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotel96 View Post

Does anyone know if this broadcasts both RF and IR signals simultaneously? I want to use RF for components and IR for a TV that can't access the RF controller.

Yes it does.

Vin
post #22 of 28 Old 07-01-2013, 04:54 AM

I am trying to program my RF20, and it has worked well, except I can't get it to work with my VIP-612 Dishnetwork DVR. the three codes listed in the manual do not work. does anyone have codes that this will work with? It will not 'learn" the remote, either.

thanks-
post #23 of 28 Old 07-01-2013, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

your receiver can be set to something like 16 different addresses, the only one found in rf20 is address 1. make sure your receiver its set IR, and address 1.
post #24 of 28 Old 07-02-2013, 04:25 AM

I'll try that- thanks!
post #25 of 28 Old 07-02-2013, 07:56 AM

I changed the dish remote to one that just does IR on channel one (the one I was using was UHF/IR.) it worked perfectly, now the RF20 learns the commands, no problem.
thanks for the help!
post #26 of 28 Old 07-03-2013, 11:17 AM

Liked: 12
Not sure if this is has been mentioned... but for the on/off buttons... If you have discrete codes for everything... just macro power on of everything, power off of everything... Should work.

Normally I program my main page macros to turn on the devices required (again with discrete codes), inputs, and main page screen etc... So we don't use the power on button at all.

Granted I am using a more advanced URC remote... So my thoughts could be moot. I think the first time I had to reprogram my "dumb" URC (after a year or so of use)... I immediately spent the cash for a PC programmable one(reprogramming those are a pain!)... Well worth it if in your budget.
post #27 of 28 Old 12-14-2013, 07:54 AM

I just got acRF20 for my TV room. Programming is pretty straight forward so far. My last step is to add macros to component buttons so that you can hit TV, and everything is set to correct inputs.

I have two questions at this point:

Is there a way to change the order of the components?

Can you hide components and not just component sub pages?

Thank you,

David
post #28 of 28 Old 12-17-2013, 08:24 AM
Vin
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by triangledave View Post

I just got acRF20 for my TV room. Programming is pretty straight forward so far. My last step is to add macros to component buttons so that you can hit TV, and everything is set to correct inputs.

I have two questions at this point:

Is there a way to change the order of the components?

Can you hide components and not just component sub pages?

Thank you,

David

The component names can be edited so yes, you can change the order of them but when you program the newly named component button (for example, if changing the TV button to a DVD button) just be sure to select the correct table for the device you'll be putting on that button, in this case when it flashes 'FROM TABLE' at the bottom of the screen, select DVD and then enter the code.

Vin
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Urc Mastercontrol Rf20 Universal Learning Remote W Rf Capability , Urc

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page