New Schmartz PS3IR-1000 IR to Bluetooth - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 05-04-2009, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just got in a brand new IR to Bluetooth converter from Schmartz that was officially announced moments agao

http://www.remoteshoppe.com/index.php?itemid=895

The biggest features are that it has all the same great capability as the PRO model did but now it's smaller, less expensive AND has power sensing via USB (like the Audio Authority BlueBeam)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 05-04-2009, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Makes me wonder what the specs of the Harmony PS3 solution will be and if the $59.99 price is true. I'm expecting something simple like the first IR2BT.

post #3 of 18 Old 05-04-2009, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

Makes me wonder what the specs of the Harmony PS3 solution will be and if the $59.99 price is true. I'm expecting something simple like the first IR2BT.

I know what you're saying. That $59.99 price was pulled so quickly from Best Buy that a lot of people are scratching their heads. I wish Logitech would announce all their features and pricing already. But, until then, I like the way these products are developing. Power sensing on a unit under $100 is a breakthrough!
post #4 of 18 Old 05-05-2009, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by remoteshoppe View Post

... Power sensing on a unit under $100 is a breakthrough!

Jim,

Again, the IR4PS3 does everything that the new Harmony product does and offers some device powering options that the Harmony does not... all for less money. The IR4PS3 is also elegantly packaged as is the Harmony.
post #5 of 18 Old 05-05-2009, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltiDawg View Post

Jim,

Again, the IR4PS3 does everything that the new Harmony product does and offers some device powering options that the Harmony does not... all for less money. The IR4PS3 is also elegantly packaged as is the Harmony.

We don't exactly know everything that the Harmony is capable of yet but I assume you are correct. The only thing the IR4PS3 doesn't have is a true power-sensing capability. The USB power sensing or the Xantech solution with the IR4BTci are still big advantage to custom installers.

I should also point out that the another interesting new feature of the PS3IR-1000 is that it will allow you to control your PS3 from your PC if you just use their software and connect it to a USB port. I haven't tried it yet but I want to check out my laptop and iPhone using remote desktop via WiFi to send commands from my central PC... that will be incredible.
post #6 of 18 Old 05-05-2009, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

[quote=remoteshoppe;16402697] ... The only thing the IR4PS3 doesn't have is a true power-sensing capability. ...QUOTE]

Jim,

No argument from me. I don't know what "power-sensing capability" means.

I have had my IR4PS3 for many months - it replaced an earlier Scmartz device - and my IR4PS3 has not once failed to turn off or turn on my PS3 as desired.

The IR4PS3 may be powered by battery, by a power adapter, or by a USB Port. (Of course not the PS3's USB port as it is not powered when the PS3 is off - I have my IR4PS3 powered by a USB port on my Sat Rcvr. )
post #7 of 18 Old 05-05-2009, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Power sensing means that the Schmartz 1000, Audio Authority BlueBeam or IR2BT would know when your PS3 is on or off. The advantage of this is that you will not be able to turn the PS3 on with an unintended Power Off command. I agree that this feature is not necessary for most people but it is important to custom installers because their customers may not know what their devices are actually doing and one errant command may create the need for a tech support call or service visit.
post #8 of 18 Old 05-06-2009, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by remoteshoppe View Post

Power sensing means that the Schmartz 1000, Audio Authority BlueBeam or IR2BT would know when your PS3 is on or off. The advantage of this is that you will not be able to turn the PS3 on with an unintended Power Off command. I agree that this feature is not necessary for most people but it is important to custom installers because their customers may not know what their devices are actually doing and one errant command may create the need for a tech support call or service visit.

Thanks for the explanation.
post #9 of 18 Old 05-06-2009, 02:08 PM

Can you give a better idea of the dimensions of this product?
post #10 of 18 Old 05-07-2009, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I measured it at 51x82x12mm and posted a pic comparing it to many of the other adapters currently available
http://www.remoteshoppe.com/index.php?itemid=896
post #11 of 18 Old 11-16-2013, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Support doesn't know if this is compatible with PS4 or not, but if it isn't they are telling me they probably won't update to fix it. Can somebody with a PS4 please try it and report back here?

Matt
post #12 of 18 Old 11-16-2013, 07:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I won't have my PS4 until Monday but it is highly unlikely that it will work since the PS3 Bluetooth remote does not work with the PS4.

If you have not found anyone by Monday I can test it for you. I have a couple of the Schmartz adapters around here.
post #13 of 18 Old 11-19-2013, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

I haven't found anything out about this and I don't have a PS4 to test...if you find out anything please post. Are you sure the PS3 remote won't work?

Matt
post #14 of 18 Old 11-19-2013, 09:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Yes, the PS3 remote is not supported on the PS4. I tried my PS3IR-1000 and my PS23ir-500 with the PS4. I was able to connect to both of them as BD-REMOTE but they did not work.

Sony has confirmed that the PS3 bluetooth remote does not work. I suppose it is possible they could add support with a future firmware update but not working right now.
post #15 of 18 Old 11-20-2013, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the info...kind of glad I sold my PS4 pre-order now.

Matt
post #16 of 18 Old 11-20-2013, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 172
I wonder if the PS4 (and the Xbox One) now support IP network control. That would be great with all these IP remote options.

post #17 of 18 Old 11-20-2013, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

They already do, but they are locked down, like SmartGlass. They don't want them to be open.

Matt
post #18 of 18 Old 02-21-2014, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Schmartz went out of business at the end of January and there is no support or way to download software that I can tell.

Does anybody have the newest (1.7) ps3ir1kutil.exe firmware for the PS3IR-1000? I'm not sure I would risk loading firmware now on an unsupported device, but if it ever craps out on me it would be the first thing to try.

So what is the next best solution now then? The Harmony one?

EDIT: I guess the firmware is downloadable on the support forum, but I'm not sure it is the newest one. It might be. There are some other support docs there as well. I would pull everything now before that disappears too. So much for the lifetime warranty on the device.

Matt
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Logitech Harmony Adapter For Playstation 3

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page