Samsung Ethernet Control? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-17-2009, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Fact: I hate flashers.

Problem: They are often a necessary evil.

Solution?: Does anyone know anything about the possibility of controlling Samsung's newer TV's via their Ethernet ports? Most of my systems are controlled by some sort of Ethernet capable processor, i.e. Crestron, Control4, Savant, etc...

Thanks for your thought,

-t
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2009, 08:32 AM

A Control4 dealer in Aus. is working on a generic IP driver for TVs that's currently in beta, so I would say it's possible.
Old 07-18-2009, 08:20 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
do you have a model number for the TV? Are you looking for two way communication or just one way control over Ethernet?

Itai

Did I mention we are flat to 11?
Old 10-09-2009, 10:42 PM

Anyone figure out how to control a Samsung TV (in my case a LN52B750) via Ethernet? Bidirectional would be great but one way would be a nice start. Also, it appears the TV's Ethernet shuts down when the TV is turned off. Any way to keep the control board / Ethernet awake even when the display is off? Or perhaps to respond to a wake-on-lan event?
Old 01-15-2010, 04:18 PM

Any news on this topic? I'd love to control power, volume and source. Model: PN58B650
Old 05-05-2010, 05:05 PM

Bump for a solution. Model: UN32B6000
Old 10-31-2010, 03:16 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by motocrossmann View Post

Any news on this topic? I'd love to control power, volume and source. Model: PN58B650

Yes. The news is that there is an HDMI-CEC to USB Bridge that allows you to control Power, Volume, and Source with the software from my site here: http://valkyrietech.com

-Valkyrie-MT
ValkyrieTech, LLC
Old 12-12-2011, 07:57 PM

A quick update (12/2011) on this.

I have a Samsung Blueray player/netbox which shows "network remote" in it's settings, but there is very little info on the samsung site other than using samsungs universal remote.

There is, now, an apple ios (iphone/ipad) app now available that uses ethernet connectivity to allow the apple device to control the player. (search the app store for "samsung remote")

The software is not very intuitive but it does allow using an ios device to input logins, passwords and search strings which are difficult to impossible to do so using just the remote.

It would probably be possible to packet sniff the commands being transmitted if one were so inclined.

Hope that this information is of value.
Beverly Howard
Old 01-07-2012, 11:08 AM

PLEASE... someone become inclined and crack this nut .

I have a Panasonic that I too would like to control via TCP/IP and 802.11. It has to be possible since they are controlling Ethernet connected Panny's using the Apple app "Remote 2011".

Unfortunately I have neither an Apple device nor a sniffer and Panny was 0 help.

Have tried using the STX/ETX command format over Ethernet (as is used to control them using the RS232 port) with no success. I suspect it would be the same syntax. I know my device's IP address but I do not know what port they are using.

Either the port or the command syntax is probably my problem - not sure.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashenden View Post

PLEASE... someone become inclined and crack this nut .

I have a Panasonic that I too would like to control via TCP/IP and 802.11. It has to be possible since they are controlling Ethernet connected Panny's using the Apple app "Remote 2011".

Unfortunately I have neither an Apple device nor a sniffer and Panny was 0 help.

Have tried using the STX/ETX command format over Ethernet (as is used to control them using the RS232 port) with no success. I suspect it would be the same syntax. I know my device's IP address but I do not know what port they are using.

Either the port or the command syntax is probably my problem - not sure.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks to input from mdavej and XARiUS, I found what I was looking for in terms of the technical details needed to control a Panasonic DMP-BDT110/210/310 unit using IP over a 802.11 network. Then I successfully controlled my device using a laptop or iPxx device thanks to Fulltopuk as well as TouchControl after some tweaks on HTTP POST made by its developer.

The technical details on the command format (again thanks to mdavej and XARiUS) can be found in the following post: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post21491715

My TouchControl device layout has been designed and is available at that site, if needed: http://www.touch-ir.com/. I have no affiliation to TouchControl other than I am a very impressed user (more on that in this post http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post21491535).

NOTE: Please note that STOP does not work on my DMP-BDT110 and I am looking for a command for the Display button. Also, if anyone knows of any Status commands for the Panny DMP-BDTx10s, that would be nice to know as well.