Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

post #361 of 787 Old 11-07-2011, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
As many of you know, the ARRX18G XSight (AR is owned by Audiovox and licensed from UEI, then AR discontinued this model) is exactly the same as the Nevo C3 (owned by UEI, supposedly sold to Pro installers only) and the All For One URC8603 XSight (owned by UEI, sold in Europe but not in the USA).
Many of us owners have been concerned that the EZ-RC website would go down and we will be stuck with cool expensive devices which could not be updated, rendering the device useless for change of equipment.
I just found out that Nevo (shares the same exact website conduit for updates) will no longer offer support after March 2012.
This certainly worries me since we share the same conduit.

What we need is a way to backup all our hard work onto a computer. I for one will call up AR and be persistent in requesting some method of backup.

Does anyone know of some method of RC data backup that already exists?

all is good....LNT4671 1005/1001 SQ01 w/old PS3 80G,Oppo 83 & 2400ES into Mirage OS3FS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 787 Old 11-07-2011, 06:16 PM

Liked: 10
Hi petrovy I to share your concerns as I think this remote is really good and easier to set up than my previous harmony. But to some comfort maybe, AR has brought out two more remotes that use the same web based set up as the xsight. I don't know the numbers but they can be found on the net and ebay. Hope this helps a little.

Dale B
post #363 of 787 Old 11-08-2011, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale0015 View Post

Hi petrovy I to share your concerns as I think this remote is really good and easier to set up than my previous harmony. But to some comfort maybe, AR has brought out two more remotes that use the same web based set up as the xsight. I don't know the numbers but they can be found on the net and ebay. Hope this helps a little.

I believe that those 2 remotes you refer to may be the 12 & 15 device RC's. If so, they have been available since the same time as the ARRX18G, and, to the best of my knowledge there have been no new XSight models introduced.
The only survival possibility, I believe, is for amazon USA to keep selling the RX18G and for amazon EU to keep selling the One For All.

all is good....LNT4671 1005/1001 SQ01 w/old PS3 80G,Oppo 83 & 2400ES into Mirage OS3FS
post #364 of 787 Old 11-08-2011, 03:41 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrovy View Post

As many of you know, the ARRX18G XSight (AR is owned by Audiovox and licensed from UEI, then AR discontinued this model) is exactly the same as the Nevo C3 (owned by UEI, supposedly sold to Pro installers only) and the All For One URC8603 XSight (owned by UEI, sold in Europe but not in the USA).
Many of us owners have been concerned that the EZ-RC website would go down and we will be stuck with cool expensive devices which could not be updated, rendering the device useless for change of equipment.
I just found out that Nevo (shares the same exact website conduit for updates) will no longer offer support after March 2012.

What we need is a way to backup all our hard work onto a computer. I for one will call up AR and be persistent in requesting some method of backup.

Keep in mind that the line is discontinued only in North America. The line will still be sold in Europe, and perhaps other regions.
post #365 of 787 Old 11-08-2011, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 363
It appears that of the 5 Xsight models on THIS page, at least two were introduced this year. When Xsight was first introduced in the US (a year after they came out in Europe), there were only 2 models, the 15G and 18G.

OFA killed the entire Nevo line several months ago. I too am concerned that the support stops so soon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #366 of 787 Old 11-09-2011, 11:48 AM

I bought Xsight Touch (One for all - Europe) yesterday and I'm quite happy about it. I'm using rf-extender to control my equipment in closet. Harmony 895 couldn't handle my set top box so I had to find another ir2rf-remote.

+ rf works great (as good as Harmony)
+ ir works too and it's very powerful (as good as Harmony)
+ installation and configuration was easy (much easier than Harmony)
+ learning mode is good (both remotes pointing at same direction)
+ no need to upload configuration to rf-extender (like in Harmony)
+ it makes everything that is needed and it works mainly great
+ looks good

- no status of power inputs (harmony has)
- activities (not same thing as in harmony, don't know is this neg or pos..)
- rf-extender is too powerful (only one emitter can be attached. If more than one emitter is connected, some devices are not working. Ir-bounces from walls or something..)
- no tilt sensor (like in US version I quess)
- order/logic of added buttons is just weird..
- touchscreen isn't very sensitive
- if leaving activity, there's no way of going back. You have to choose certain activity again (like watch tv or something).. that could mess up the power states..
post #367 of 787 Old 11-09-2011, 11:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jantsa View Post

- if leaving activity, there's no way of going back. You have to choose certain activity again (like watch tv or something).. that could mess up the power states..

to avoid that issue, don't include any power on/off in the activity command codes, only selection codes.
do power on/off in separate macros that can be assigned as soft keys.
post #368 of 787 Old 11-10-2011, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxer View Post

to avoid that issue, don't include any power on/off in the activity command codes, only selection codes.
do power on/off in separate macros that can be assigned as soft keys.

Nice idea. It would be even better if i would find discrete power code for my set top box (all my other devices have discrete power codes) then it wouldn't be problem if I have to press "watch tv" activity multiple times..
post #369 of 787 Old 11-10-2011, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jantsa View Post

Nice idea. It would be even better if i would find discrete power code for my set top box (all my other devices have discrete power codes) then it wouldn't be problem if I have to press "watch tv" activity multiple times..

There is a way to make discrete ON/OFF codes on certain Verizon Motorola boxes, buy using a simple trick: if your box turns ON with any button other than the POWER button, this would be your discrete POWER ON. Then the discrete POWER OFF would be 2 commands: that other button command followed by the regular POWER command.
Some other cable boxes may have a special numerical code that will POWER ON the box, check the box setup or call the cable company to see if it's possible.

I use the aforementioned trick along w/ discrete power OFF codes for a Cable box+Samsung TV+Sony AVR+Oppo BD player and put the whole string in an ALL POWER OFF macro in the main RC power button at top of the RC.
I set up my Activities as Watch Cable, Watch Oppo, Set for PS3,and Radio Only. Those Activities ea have some sort of a POWER ON code along w/Input switching codes...So I can easily and also almost seamlessly switch between activities without getting out of sync and without having to turn equipment OFF first to switch. Now I can also hit the main "ALL POWER OFF' button at any time to shut down any activity without inadvertently turning some equip back ON.

post #370 of 787 Old 11-10-2011, 10:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I dont see an option to choose a HDMI Splitter in the EZ-RC software.
I have a Knivio HDMI splitter, but i am not able to find an option to add HDMI splitter option to my remote through the software.
Please help.
post #371 of 787 Old 11-15-2011, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrovy View Post

I recently added an Emotiva UMC-1 to my system. This is not available for the AARX18G. Talked to a tech yesterday and was told that they no longer support this model. Basically said I was SOL. Initially told him that I had a new pre/pro and asked if the code could be added. First he asked what a pre/pro was. He said that since I had a new model the code would not be available. I explained it was only new to me and had been on the market before the remote. Again he said he could not help. I told him that Harmony supports Emotiva and was told I should buy one.
Lastly he commented that I had purchased a universal remote and should not expect it to work with every brand. Can someone tell me the purpose of a universal remote if it can't support a major brand?

Does anyone know how to get the remote to work with Emotiva UMC-1?
My Xsight will not learn functions.
post #372 of 787 Old 11-15-2011, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Emotiva uses a very rare, but easy to learn code (NEC1 32.95). I'm not surprised it's not in the Xsight database yet since it's only in 4 other European one-for-all remotes at the moment. Harmony is a special case because their database consists of user learns and gets updated as soon as a couple of users learn the codes. If your Xsight won't learn the functions, then you are doing something wrong, because the signal is very basic and shouldn't give any learning remote any trouble at all. If it is indeed unlearnable, then harmony is your only option. You could try to teach from another European one-for-all (URC-7940, 7950 or 8350), but those will simply send the same signals as your OEM remote.

I can PM you all the pronto hex or JP1 codes if you need them. In fact those codes came from a one-for-all (maker of Xsight) that learned them from a harmony. So I know they are learnable. I don't know if Xsight support can add codes from those sources or not, but it wouldn't hurt to ask.

post #373 of 787 Old 11-15-2011, 02:42 PM

Mdavej, they won't. That is my main complaint about Xsight: user support is terrible and their refusal to add codes ridiculous.
post #374 of 787 Old 11-15-2011, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Mdavej, Thank you for your response and your offer. Madmalkav is correct. Due to the tech's attitude I commented to him that I had a $200 remote that was as useful as a turd in a punch bowl.

Such a waste of an otherwise great remote.
post #375 of 787 Old 11-16-2011, 04:20 PM
Advanced Member

Still looking for a way, on how ppl added a HDMI splitter to the xsight remote.., what option should i choose in the EZ-RC software?
post #376 of 787 Old 11-16-2011, 04:21 PM

It really is a shame that this remote seems to be going the way of the dodo bird. I think it is an outstanding value for the price it is being sold at. My quandary is should I pick up another one or two now for backups in the future or just wait and see what happens? Do you guys think acoustic research will continue to support it at all? I don't need much but having the website up and running to get codes and save my setup is a major concern.
post #377 of 787 Old 11-17-2011, 06:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcharlie View Post

It really is a shame that this remote seems to be going the way of the dodo bird. I think it is an outstanding value for the price it is being sold at. My quandary is should I pick up another one or two now for backups in the future or just wait and see what happens? Do you guys think acoustic research will continue to support it at all? I don't need much but having the website up and running to get codes and save my setup is a major concern.

Agree, the Xsight remote are a very capable and the least complicated in its class, i wished the company worked on making this a better product.
post #378 of 787 Old 11-17-2011, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by holyindian View Post

Still looking for a way, on how ppl added a HDMI splitter to the xsight remote.., what option should i choose in the EZ-RC software?

On other UEI remotes things like that are usually classified as Audio device types. But it doesn't really matter since you'll learn all the codes anyway.

post #379 of 787 Old 11-18-2011, 09:42 AM

I just purchased the Xsight ARRX18G. However, I need to get an RF extender so that I can control my AVR and DVR that are in a closet behind a wall. The Audiovox Extender is fairly hard to locate. Does anyone know if the Nevo REX-433 extender(it looks identical) will work with the audiovox Xsight remote?
post #380 of 787 Old 11-18-2011, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosco234 View Post

I just purchased the Xsight ARRX18G. However, I need to get an RF extender so that I can control my AVR and DVR that are in a closet behind a wall. The Audiovox Extender is fairly hard to locate. Does anyone know if the Nevo REX-433 extender(it looks identical) will work with the audiovox Xsight remote?

Yes, the Nevo Rf basestation for C3 is exactly the same as the REX-433 xsight basesation.
post #381 of 787 Old 11-18-2011, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Hey, Edmund, can you confirm any other base stations that work with the Xsight? There was a post a while back claiming the 433MHz Next Gen base worked with it.

post #382 of 787 Old 11-18-2011, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund View Post

Yes, the Nevo Rf basestation for C3 is exactly the same as the REX-433 xsight basesation.

Great, those seem to be a bit less expensive and easier to find than their A/R counterpart.
Thanks,
Greg
post #383 of 787 Old 11-18-2011, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
I have this unit and the receiver works fine with the Acoustic Research remote's RF transmitter:
http://www.amazon.com/Next-Generatio...ref=pd_sim_e_1

Next Generation Remote Control Extender
post #384 of 787 Old 11-18-2011, 12:15 PM

The NG RF Extender is so ugly that any price for the REX 433 would be more that justified.
post #385 of 787 Old 11-18-2011, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

It's a good alternative if you already happen to have one, or really like UFO's. The Xsight/Nevo extender also comes with 6 blasters, quite a bit more than Next Gen.

post #386 of 787 Old 12-07-2011, 06:17 AM

Just a heads up for anyone interested in this remote either as a first purchase or as a backup. Sellout.woot has the 15 device version today for 24.99 plus 5 dollar shipping(regardless of how many-up to3 max) you order. Fantastic deal in my opinion.
post #387 of 787 Old 12-07-2011, 04:28 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcharlie View Post

Just a heads up for anyone interested in this remote either as a first purchase or as a backup. Sellout.woot has the 15 device version today for 24.99 plus 5 dollar shipping(regardless of how many-up to3 max) you order. Fantastic deal in my opinion.

You are the man. Been researching this for a while and need it for my RF directTV set yup..

Thanks for the heads up.. awesome price...
post #388 of 787 Old 12-07-2011, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyOnTheWall View Post

You are the man. Been researching this for a while and need it for my RF directTV set yup..

Thanks for the heads up.. awesome price...

Sorry but the 15 device is IR only.
post #389 of 787 Old 12-07-2011, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bguzman View Post

Still loving the remote. I started utilizing the favorites, channels, and incorporated some from the data base and some of my own, .

Can you tell me a good site for more of these custom station logos.

Thanks

Been a harmony user for years, I hope I can make the switch to the AR
post #390 of 787 Old 12-07-2011, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund View Post

Sorry but the 15 device is IR only.

Are you sure about that?

I thought I read that the 15 is IR but works with the DirectV RF?

Can anyone chime in?
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Acoustic Research , Harmony 1100 Remcontrol , Remotes And Controllers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page