Acoustic Research XSight Remote - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 11Likes

Old 01-16-2012, 05:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have the Xsight 18 that I'm using with an IR system that consists of a plasma-friendly IR receiver by Xantech and a connecting block by SpeakerCraft with 6 IR emitters. Right now the system works very well. I've been considering getting the Nevo RF extender and going all RF, which means eliminating the need for the IR receiver. If there any performance/range/angle/reliability advantage to switching to RF?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2012, 07:04 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

^^^
One For All, the maker of the Xsight and other UEI (Universal Electronics Inc.) remotes. Acoustic Research and Nevo are only brands.

Vortech, thanks for the battery info!

where can i buy one in the US market?
Old 01-17-2012, 07:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 553 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justind123 View Post

where can i buy one in the US market?

I don't know, but if you find one, please post back. I just use bravia-link for on/off/playback and a cheap nyko bluwave type device for everything else. Radio shack has one of THESE adapters for $2, but I've not tried it myself. If you get that one, you probably just set it up as a sony DVD player on the Xsight. FWIW, the harmony PS3 adapter also works fine with Xsight.

Although I haven't seen one in the US yet, HERE's a nice review of it and a SOURCE for our friends across the pond. It's 100% compatible with the Xsight family as well as other One-For-Alls.

Enabling HDMI contol on most of my devices has pretty much eliminated the need for the PS3 adapter in my case and made the macros on my remote much simpler.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:55 AM

I was thinking of going with the Logitech adapter even though it costs more but it works with power up and power down.. which is a huge plus... for 2 dollars though.... ill prob pick one up and try it out.... my local shack has them..
Old 01-17-2012, 05:17 PM

Can anyone confirm which replacement batteries work? I would love to pick up a couple of spares as I have really fallen in love with this remote.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcharlie View Post

Can anyone confirm which replacement batteries work? I would love to pick up a couple of spares as I have really fallen in love with this remote.

As previously mentioned, look for a bat replacement for Fuji NP 60.
The latest batteries have a higher capacity than the OEM, so your best (and probably cheapest) bet is to take the old battery (or even the RC) to Radio Shack and get an exact fit. A few months ago I found some Ultralast UL-NP60, 1100mAh/3.7V/Li-Ion, dirt cheap and perfect fit....should be longer lasting than the OEM.

all is good....LNT4671 1005/1001 SQ01 w/old PS3 80G,Oppo 83 & 2400ES into Mirage OS3FS
Old 01-17-2012, 10:05 PM

Just got my arrx18g today... Tried to install software and when i launch it the site wont even come up.. Yes i have internet explorer and im running windows 7... If i copy the link into firefox it comes up.. Then copy the page link into internet explorer it wont let me sign up... The "next" buttons are just grayed out ... Pretty frustrated here.. Someone help please!.... I even tried enabling all of the active settings in internet explorer and it still wont work ....
Old 01-18-2012, 01:11 AM

Quote:

Enabling HDMI contol on most of my devices has pretty much eliminated the need for the PS3 adapter in my case and made the macros on my remote much simpler.

Can you elaborate a bit, please? I am deciding on the PS3 adapter to go with Xsight 18 and the Nevo RF base.

Where do you enable the HDMI control? I have my PS3 connected to Receiver and the Receiver to TV, both using HDMI. If I use HDMI control in Receiver, will it be Ok? Again this would only be good enough for starting/shutting down the PS3? Or how do you control the PS3 in absence of a IR to Bluetooth converter? Or are you using a normal PS3 controller/Sony remote for operational purpose?
Old 01-18-2012, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve.black View Post

Can you elaborate a bit, please? I am deciding on the PS3 adapter to go with Xsight 18 and the Nevo RF base.

Where do you enable the HDMI control? I have my PS3 connected to Receiver and the Receiver to TV, both using HDMI. If I use HDMI control in Receiver, will it be Ok? Again this would only be good enough for starting/shutting down the PS3? Or how do you control the PS3 in absence of a IR to Bluetooth converter? Or are you using a normal PS3 controller/Sony remote for operational purpose?

Sorry. I did not read your full post carefully enough. I got it now that you use nyko bluwave adapter. Thanks mdavej.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:11 AM

Quote:

Just got my arrx18g today... Tried to install software and when i launch it the site wont even come up.. Yes i have internet explorer and im running windows 7... If i copy the link into firefox it comes up.. Then copy the page link into internet explorer it wont let me sign up... The "next" buttons are just grayed out ... Pretty frustrated here.. Someone help please!.... I even tried enabling all of the active settings in internet explorer and it still wont work ....

??? anybody??
Old 01-18-2012, 05:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:

??? anybody??

On my system it requires IE, I use Firefox mainly.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theresa View Post

On my system it requires IE, I use Firefox mainly.

I have tried using both.... I am running windows 7 with IE 9....
Old 01-18-2012, 08:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve.black View Post

Sorry. I did not read your full post carefully enough. I got it now that you use nyko bluwave adapter. Thanks mdavej.

Correct. But with HDMI control (bravia link) enabled on my tv and PS3, I can send transport commands (play, stop, etc.) from my sony tv device (the buttons that came from my original sony remote) and they are received by the tv and sent over HDMI to the PS3, hence no adapter required for that. HDMI control also sets the tv to the proper input and powers up the PS3. I can power off the PS3 remotely via HDMI as well, either by navigating or selecting Off from the Sync Menu. I have a 5 step macro to power off the PS3 and a 3 step macro to power it on. It will also automatically power off when the tv is turned off. I don't have an amp in the mix over HDMI, so I'm not sure how that would work in your case. The commands should just pass thru, but I'm not sure.

Quote:

I have tried using both.... I am running windows 7 with IE 9....

I've not tried it on Win7/IE9, but I'll give it a shot later and report back. Are you an admin on your PC or at least install the S/W as an admin? Did you install from HERE?
Old 01-18-2012, 09:55 AM

Quote:

Correct. But with HDMI control (bravia link) enabled on my tv and PS3, I can send transport commands (play, stop, etc.) from my sony tv device (the buttons that came from my original sony remote) and they are received by the tv and sent over HDMI to the PS3, hence no adapter required for that. HDMI control also sets the tv to the proper input when the PS3 is turned on. I don't have an amp in the mix over HDMI, so I'm not sure how that would work in your case. The commands should just pass thru, but I'm not sure.

I've not tried it on Win7/IE9, but I'll give it a shot later and report back. Are you an admin on your PC or at least install the S/W as an admin? Did you install from HERE?

update.... i just installed the CD on my work computer... (SHHHH) Windows 7 and IE 9 and everything worked great... so im guessing its the settings with my IE 9.. i did screen shots (SSSHHH) to compare and ill see how that goes...

I did not use that link... just the ones that are listed on the CD and controller itself... Still see if it works for yourself though... Im very curious as to what the hells wrong with my computer... HAHA
Old 01-18-2012, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTV Programmer View Post

I have the Xsight 18 that I'm using with an IR system that consists of a plasma-friendly IR receiver by Xantech and a connecting block by SpeakerCraft with 6 IR emitters. Right now the system works very well. I've been considering getting the Nevo RF extender and going all RF, which means eliminating the need for the IR receiver. If there any performance/range/angle/reliability advantage to switching to RF?

The Nevo REX433 RF Extender should work very well with the ARRX18G, and it handles 6 devices (item ships w/6 long wire emitters). Reliability should be spot-on.
Since you state that your setup is working good, the only benefit of changing to RF is that you can hide the small Extender box in a cabinet and not have to point the RC towards the Receiver box, and may even be able to turn some equipment ON from another room (your performance may vary). Keep in mind that RF is also subject to interference from other 433MHz devices, but then again, IR may be subject to even more types of interference.

all is good....LNT4671 1005/1001 SQ01 w/old PS3 80G,Oppo 83 & 2400ES into Mirage OS3FS
Old 01-18-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:

update.... i just installed the CD on my work computer... (SHHHH) Windows 7 and IE 9 and everything worked great... so im guessing its the settings with my IE 9.. i did screen shots (SSSHHH) to compare and ill see how that goes...

I did not use that link... just the ones that are listed on the CD and controller itself... Still see if it works for yourself though... Im very curious as to what the hells wrong with my computer... HAHA

I copied the settings from IE at work and made sure they were the exact same on my laptop... and now it works.... HMMMMMM
Old 01-18-2012, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrovy View Post

As previously mentioned, look for a bat replacement for Fuji NP 60.
The latest batteries have a higher capacity than the OEM, so your best (and probably cheapest) bet is to take the old battery (or even the RC) to Radio Shack and get an exact fit. A few months ago I found some Ultralast UL-NP60, 1100mAh/3.7V/Li-Ion, dirt cheap and perfect fit....should be longer lasting than the OEM.

Thanks much. A longer lasting battery would be a big bonus. Seems this remote spends more time in the charger than it should. I think I should probably disable the auto light sensor or shorten the time it stays lit but mw wife likes it so that isn't going to happen I guess.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mine lasts at least a month between charges.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:59 PM

Quote:

Mine lasts at least a month between charges.

Seriously?? Mine lasts maybe a week. Do you have the auto tilt enabled? I think my cats/dog/children are constantly passing by and activating the light which drains the battery. Or else my battery is defective. In any event I am getting a replacement (or 2). What would be a reasonable price for a backup battery?
Old 01-18-2012, 05:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Yep. Here are my settings:
- Brightness about 60%
- Timeout 10 sec
- Tilt On
Old 01-18-2012, 07:23 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrovy View Post

The Nevo REX433 RF Extender should work very well with the ARRX18G, and it handles 6 devices (item ships w/6 long wire emitters). Reliability should be spot-on.
Since you state that your setup is working good, the only benefit of changing to RF is that you can hide the small Extender box in a cabinet and not have to point the RC towards the Receiver box, and may even be able to turn some equipment ON from another room (your performance may vary). Keep in mind that RF is also subject to interference from other 433MHz devices, but then again, IR may be subject to even more types of interference.

Thanks, Petrovy! Good information.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:57 AM

I have a few questions. When setting up the Logitech ps3 adapter what settings do i need to set in the controller for it to operate that device correctly and completely.

Also.... Where can i find the manual to get the remote to learn other remotes?

Also.... Am i capable of customizing the touch sccreen EX: I want to operate my receiver but the inputs that i use the most are scattered on different screens using the slide bar. Am i able to customize the touch screen to move all the inputs that i use the most onto 1 screen?
Old 01-19-2012, 07:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Also.... Where can i find the manual to get the remote to learn other remotes?

I've never read the manual (it's on the website). But on the remote, go to Settings, Learn, or do it from within the software. If you do it on the remote, be sure to exit the software completely and upload when you're done or your learns won't be saved.
Quote:

Also.... Am i capable of customizing the touch sccreen EX: I want to operate my receiver but the inputs that i use the most are scattered on different screens using the slide bar. Am i able to customize the touch screen to move all the inputs that i use the most onto 1 screen?

Re-arranging is hard, but replacing is easy. So I recommend you go to Advanced in the software, and replace an existing button with the command you want. Then put the command you replaced on a screen at the end.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:58 PM

Justin:

I think in IE you need to go and change the security settings to disable protected mode.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StTMike View Post

Justin:

I think in IE you need to go and change the security settings to disable protected mode.

I got it working thanks.... I havent had much time to play with it and program it... all i know is that it take much for time than an hour.... haha
Old 01-24-2012, 07:31 AM

Anybody know how to correctly use the Auvio PS3 adapter with this remote... I got it working... kinda.... some of the buttons dont actually do what they are suppose to though...

Also Im hoping to be getting the Logitech ps3 adapter soon... is there any specifics I need to know for this module?
Old 01-25-2012, 07:01 AM

Also does anybody know If the CISCO explorer 8652HDC has power on power off functionality....?

So far this is the only peice in my system that when i try to program with this remote that only has a "power fuction" So when i say goodbye and its already off (useing diff components on system" it turns on.....
Old 01-25-2012, 07:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

Also does anybody know If the CISCO explorer 8652HDC has power on power off functionality....?

It is like other SA and Cisco equipment and does not have discrete power on and power off codes.

The simple solution is to leave it on all the time as it only uses a very small amount of extra power between the on and off states. You may be able to create macro to manage the on and off states for your activities, and manually handle any out of sync instances.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPlayer View Post

It is like other SA and Cisco equipment and does not have discrete power on and power off codes.

The simple solution is to leave it on all the time as it only uses a very small amount of extra power between the on and off states. You may be able to create macro to manage the on and off states for your activities, and manually handle any out of sync instances.

DARN i was hoping that wasnt the answer....
Old 01-25-2012, 07:46 AM

I know how to create an advanced activity... but what do the macros section do? I started creating an IR sequence but then i got to the remote and it wanted me to click on a key of control on the remote image? What is this and what am i suppose to do?

Tags
Acoustic Research , Harmony 1100 Remcontrol , Remotes And Controllers