Forum Jump: 
 9Likes

post #541 of 846 Old 02-27-2012, 12:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked: 421
This is the first I've heard of that. Did you assign a DirecTV code to the device beforehand, and does it work in IR mode?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 846 Old 02-27-2012, 01:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yes, I enabled the RF mode and then attempted to go into the DirecTV mode and complete the process of configuring it and the DirecTV button is grayed out and nothing happens when I press it.

Yes, it will allow me to program it with a DirecTV DVR or even the new DirecTV Tivo HD DVR in the IR mode.

I would suspect that I need to get the right firmware or there is some sort of a code that I need to enter on the key pad that re-enables the DirecTV RF mode on the C3.

I just wish that I would have known about it I purchased two used C3 units because I would like to like to use the DirecTV RF mode and if I can't then I should have just considered another remote/brand.

Any other suggestion on some way to get this working or where I might look or who I might ask.
post #543 of 846 Old 02-28-2012, 09:40 AM

I beleive that I have solved the mystery.

The DirecTV RF option stays grayed out and unable to be selected till a DirecTV box that is able to be RF enabled is added to the remote.

Once the DirecTV device is added to the remote, it would appear that you can then select the DirecTV RF option on the remote to configure.

This also does suggest that the AARX18G and the C3 are both running the same firmware.

Sorry for the drama folks, but the limited info on these remotes combined with my limited experience so far makes me want to run for help pretty quickly when I think I am in over my head.

Thanks!
post #544 of 846 Old 03-07-2012, 11:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Well, after about a year of average use, my 18G buttons are starting to fail. My Up arrow sometimes clicks without sending a signal. More pressure makes it work. I guess good dome buttons are hard to make now that everything has to be lead free. Every device I have with these dome keys seems to have a fairly short life. My harmony remotes are the same, as are my calculators and other devices, all failing within a few years. My membrane keypad devices are still going strong after 10 years of heavy use.
post #545 of 846 Old 03-07-2012, 12:15 PM

Just in case anyone was wondering..
I finally hooked up the Nevo RF Extender (UEI-REX-433) and it works... Nice to not have to look at all the blinky LEDs of my AV equipment anymore.
post #546 of 846 Old 03-07-2012, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Well, after about a year of average use, my 18G buttons are starting to fail. My Up arrow sometimes clicks without sending a signal. More pressure makes it work. I guess good dome buttons are hard to make now that everything has to be lead free. Every device I have with these dome keys seems to have a fairly short life. My harmony remotes are the same, as are my calculators and other devices, all failing within a few years. My membrane keypad devices are still going strong after 10 years of heavy use.

I have had the same problem with every UEI remote I have owned, usually the VOL + or -, and CHANNEL UP or DOWN, the most used keys, but usually takes ~ 2 years to fail.
On those, when strongly motivated, I was able to fix the problem...at least for a while: the keypad was rubber with what looks to be carbon electrical contacts at each digit and sometimes those round contacts can be cleaned. If lucky, I would find a working rubber membrane to replace the old one.
Have you ventured yet into taking the 18G apart to see if it can be refurbished, or tried contacting AR to ask about warranty service?
Anyway, foreseeing this problem...that's why I got 2 ARRX18G backup remotes.

all is good....LNT4671 1005/1001 SQ01 w/old PS3 80G,Oppo 83 & 2400ES into Mirage OS3FS
post #547 of 846 Old 03-07-2012, 02:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

No, I haven't taken it apart yet. I'd forgotten about the warranty. I'll ask.

I have taken apart harmonys with the same kind of clicky dome keys and found there's really nothing you can do to refurbish them like you can the membrane type you described. The dome can't be removed from the circuit board without destroying it.

In a pinch you can cut the dome off and put something conductive on the button, converting it essentially to a membrane button. But it makes the button lower and takes away the click feedback. And the conductor usually doesn't last very long (I glue on bits of aluminum foil). You could use conductive paint, but that's expensive. In any case, it's not a good long-term solution.

And yes, my long-lived UEI remotes with membrane keys do require bi-annual cleanings like yours.
post #548 of 846 Old 03-09-2012, 09:02 AM

Go ahead and try to contract them via the chat and see if they will honor the warranty on the unit and replace it.

You might as well.
post #549 of 846 Old 03-19-2012, 12:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Followed your advice and called for an RMA and sent it today to Audiovox for warranty replacement. Let's see how long it takes to get it back.
post #550 of 846 Old 03-19-2012, 02:12 PM

It took about 12 days to complete the entire process. This included me sending the remote out and the replacement being shipped back to me.

I should point out that they send what amounted to a brand new replacment remote including a new battery. (I didn't send the battery with the defective one I sent out for replacement) It looked like it had never been used and it was in excellent condition.

Once I figured out how to get a RMA so I could get it replaced, the entire process was actually pretty painless.
post #551 of 846 Old 03-23-2012, 03:29 PM

Will my harmony 890 rf extender work with the xsight touch?
post #552 of 846 Old 03-23-2012, 04:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdonaldb View Post

Will my harmony 890 rf extender work with the xsight touch?

No they aren't compatible. Sorry.
post #553 of 846 Old 03-23-2012, 04:58 PM

thanks, i will look for a nevo extender.
post #554 of 846 Old 03-26-2012, 04:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstell View Post

It took about 12 days to complete the entire process. This included me sending the remote out and the replacement being shipped back to me.

I should point out that they send what amounted to a brand new replacment remote including a new battery. (I didn't send the battery with the defective one I sent out for replacement) It looked like it had never been used and it was in excellent condition.

Once I figured out how to get a RMA so I could get it replaced, the entire process was actually pretty painless.

Thanks again. Got my replacement today (exactly 1 wk after dropping the old one in the mail). Looks brand new. And now I have a spare battery.

Could be my imagination, but this new remote seems faster to update and has an option for an audible click my old one didn't have.
post #555 of 846 Old 03-27-2012, 11:56 AM

Is the nevo c3 the same remote as the xsight touch?
post #556 of 846 Old 03-27-2012, 12:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Yes. They also share the same parts and accessories (base, battery, RF, etc.). And the C2 is identical to the Xsight Color. One-For-All Xsights are also identical to Acoustic Research Xsights. UEI makes all Xsight models for the Nevo, AR and One-For-All brands.
post #557 of 846 Old 03-31-2012, 01:48 PM

Can someone tell me how to program my DTV hr22-100 with my xsight touch, im assuming the library of devices on the remote does not have the correct make and model, not sure what im looking for as i dont know who makes this dvr.
post #558 of 846 Old 03-31-2012, 05:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

All DirecTV boxes use the same codes. You should be able to pick the HR20 or enter code C1377. Use C1378 and 1379 for remote address 2 and 3 respectively. If you're using RF, be sure to enable it on the remote.
post #559 of 846 Old 04-05-2012, 08:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Saw the Xsight Touch recently on the Nieman Marcus website for $50. Amazon price is back up to $90.

Not too many places have them anymore. So it appears the rumors of them being discontinued are true, at least this model. Other models, like the 12G, seem to still be widely available. I wonder if this is the end of the line or if a new model is coming.
post #560 of 846 Old 04-05-2012, 11:21 AM

Yes, mdavej is correct. You should be able to enable it with any of the DirecTV DVR box models and it should work fine. (In fact it even works with the new the new DirecTV Tivo unit the THR22 with the exception that a few specialized Tivo buttons are not mapped and have to be manually added)

Enabling the RF is really the best way to go with the DirecTV DVR units. You need the last 6 digits of the RID (Receiver ID) before you start the process of enabling the RF on the remote. I suggest that you go into the Remote section in the setup on the DirecTV DVR first and get the RF enabled and then enable it on the remote using the last 6 digits of your RID.

Also of note, you might want to make a note of the last six digits of the RID and tape them to the inside of the battery door as I have seen where the remote seems to forgot that the RF is enabled for the DirecTV box and you have to enabled it again with the last six digits of the RID. Also, if you remove the batter it seems to loose its memory that it was setup for DirecTV RF and you will have to re-enable again.
post #561 of 846 Old 04-10-2012, 10:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I just picked up a used ARRX12G Xsight Plus. It's a 12 device version of the touch, but is much smaller. It has only 3 functions per screen which you cursor up or down to use. It's non-rechargeable like the color and has backlit keys triggered by a tilt sensor. All the keys are dome keys with a nice soft click. It's also learning and uses the same website for config as the other models. It's hard to tell from the pic, but the lower half is glossy, the upper half is brushed and the back is rubbery for good grip.

One thing I noticed immediately is that unlike harmony, you can manage multiple remotes with a single login. It detects which remote config to use when you plug it in. Also unlike harmony, you can rename and rearrange all activities and devices. All the functionality is essentially the same as the Touch, except favorites which is limited to a single list of 24 and no icons.

It's a powerful little remote for the current street price of $22-$33. Mine's a $13 refurb but it's in pretty bad shape, so I wouldn't recommend an ebay "refurb" to anyone else.

Here's a pic:
post #562 of 846 Old 04-16-2012, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I want to connect a 25ft coax type cable to my RF Extender so the Antenna can be placed in a more central location. The jack is NOT a standard "tv coax" size, it's smaller. Where can I get an adapter or make an extension cable for the antenna???
post #563 of 846 Old 04-16-2012, 05:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I don't think anyone here in the Xsight remote thread will be able to answer that.
post #564 of 846 Old 04-22-2012, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3FingeredGlove View Post

The RCRP05B has 5 device buttons. Each button accepts a setup code, which is an index into a table of IR parameters. There are 4 tables- Cable/Satellite, TV, Video, and Audio. The DVD and DVR buttons both use the Video table. The instructions tell how to assign a setup code. Assign 2185 to the Cable button.

Cable 2185 had a set of parameters which is close to what you need to control the Dune (IR protocol and device/subdevice numbers), but it doesn't have the exact function numbers for the discrete power commands. Using the 994 command allows you to modify the function numbers.

Once you've assigned a EFC via 994 to a button, that assignment remains even if you were to change the setup code. If you're going to put the RCRP05B back in the drawer until you need to use it for some other learning exercise, or if you decide to use it as a everyday remote, it's quite possible to have forgotten that a couple of buttons are programmed to control the Dune. The you'll get frustrating results. So I recommend that you clear the assignment once you've finished teaching the Xsight 18. But of course it isn't necessary.

AR meant Acoustic Research.

Some family health matters had made me abandon the programming of my Xsight 18 model. Finally got back to working on this. Despite the excellent explanations given by both 3FingeredGlove and mdavej, I still had not got a clear idea on what to do to get the discrete power codes for the Dune Smart D1 using the RCRP05B remote to the Xsight 18.

Finally took the plunge and viola! It worked like a charm. Thank you 3FingeredGlove and mdavej. I might say special thanks to mdavej for mentioning from the outset the value of a cheap JP1 remote like RCRP05B and the recommendation to buy one regardless of whether I buy a Xsight or Harmony One, to pass on codes not found in OEM remotes to Xsight 18.

What looked like difficult task, turned out to be pretty simple. If there is someone like me who has difficulty understanding what to do get the discrete power on/off for the Dune Smart D1, here is a dummy's version

1. Take the RCRP05B remote
2. Press the Cable button on the remote
3. Then press the Setup button and keep it pressed till the Cable button blink twice.
4. Then press the number sequence 2185. The cable button will blink twice confirming the function table is assigned correctly to the Cable button.
5. Then press the Setup button again just once (not a long press).
6. Then press the number sequence 00230 while aiming at the Dune D1. This switched off the Dune D1.
7. Repeat Step 5, and press number sequence 00234 and this powered on the Dune D1.
8. Take Xsight 18 and go the home screen, and then to Settings.
9. Select learn a function
10. Select the Device 'Dune D1' (assuming the Device has been added already and is named as Dune D1).
11. Opt to add a new Soft Button for the Dune.
12. When prompted by the Xsight 18, press Setup button on the RCRP05B followed by the number sequence 00230 on RCRP05B.
13. When Xsight confirms receiving the code, name the Soft button as 'Power Off'.
14. Do likewise for creating 'Power On' soft button with the code 00234.
15. Hook up the Xsight 18 to the computer and upload the saved functions on the remote to your Accoustic Research account online.
16. While connected to the AR online, I went to the Advanced>Edit Extended Keys option for the Dune and renamed Soft button created using Proper Case letter. I hate the all UPPER case menus that the remote create by default
17. Downloaded the changes to the remote and signed off.

I will tackle my Humax Settop box tomorrow. Thank you all of you
post #565 of 846 Old 04-22-2012, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3FingeredGlove View Post

For the Dune, you can manually program the RCRP05B. Use Cable 2185, and test if the power functions work by tapping setup (don't hold it very long-- use a normal button press) and enter 00230. When you send the 5th digit, the remote will send the IR signal for Off. 00234 will send On. The remote will send the signal repeatedly if you hold the last digit.

You can assign these two code semi-permanently using the 994 command. After you're done programming the AR, it will probably be a good idea to clear the EFC assignment before you forget that the RCRP05B buttons have been repurposed.

The Humax could be a little more challenging. Try Cable 1790 and 1109, using every button on the remote. Probably good to start with the number keys. If you get any reaction on any button then we can figure out the rest. The RCA may have a better (or at least different) IR signal compared to the OEM remote.

Ok the Humax set top box is responding to Cable 1109. The power and numbers are fine but channel surf is actually controlling volume (up is actually lowering volume and down not working). Volume is not working. Directional keys were ok as well. So now how to get the discrete? All help appreciated. Thanks a lot. I know this could be OT here, so don't know if to start a new topic.
post #566 of 846 Old 04-24-2012, 07:58 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quick question for you guys. I have the X sight 18 and the Nevo RF RF extender that mjdave has previously linked. Everything is set up and programmed great for a few months.

I like the remote but it is not perfect at transmitting the signals. My wife figured out that if you hold the remote up in the air it seems to work much better. I know this should not matter with an RF remote. Using the macros for Activities, which have 6-8 signals, frequently one is missed messing it up, and I have to do it over. This can take up to a minute with the delays. Same thing with Favorite channels which will miss a key and go to wrong channel about half the time.

It seems to be with all the devices so I don't think it is the position of the stickies over the IR recievers. I have investigated them all using manuals and the flashlight trick and can't see how to improve them.

I like having the stuff under the cabinet, and maybe this is how these things work (my first RF remote). Wondering if others have this, or if there is something else I can check.

Thanks!
post #567 of 846 Old 04-24-2012, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdavis81 View Post

...I like the remote but it is not perfect at transmitting the signals. My wife figured out that if you hold the remote up in the air it seems to work much better. I know this should not matter with an RF remote...

I've had the same problem since the first day I set mine up. I am gonna try running the antenna to a "better" location but I'm having problems finding the right size connector. It's not standard coax F connector/cable (it's half the size).
post #568 of 846 Old 04-24-2012, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdavis81 View Post

Quick question for you guys. I have the X sight 18 and the Nevo RF RF extender that mjdave has previously linked. Everything is set up and programmed great for a few months.

I like the remote but it is not perfect at transmitting the signals. My wife figured out that if you hold the remote up in the air it seems to work much better. I know this should not matter with an RF remote. Using the macros for Activities, which have 6-8 signals, frequently one is missed messing it up, and I have to do it over. This can take up to a minute with the delays. Same thing with Favorite channels which will miss a key and go to wrong channel about half the time.

It seems to be with all the devices so I don't think it is the position of the stickies over the IR recievers. I have investigated them all using manuals and the flashlight trick and can't see how to improve them.

I like having the stuff under the cabinet, and maybe this is how these things work (my first RF remote). Wondering if others have this, or if there is something else I can check.

Thanks!

I installed the Nevo RF base just recently. When it works, it is fantastic. Of course this is my first universal remote and first RF capable one at that. But I can't ever go back to the line of sight remotes after this.

Having said that, I have had the exact same problem that you mentioned. Of course, I had not bothered to remove the stickers off the tip of the extenders and had only kept them dangling just over the IR sensor on each equipment. I intend to make a final arrangement only after I am Ok with setup.

Signal problems were obvious with my Humax set top box and the channel numbers were being omitted and I was ending up with wrong channels. I had taught the Humax remote to the Xsight 18 and I wasn't sure what was wrong. Then I relearned the number keys of Humax again, but this time making sure the remotes were closer and there was no movement while pressing keys. I also shifted RF base away from the Panasonic Plasma TV.

This improved the response and now I have it working as intended. Actually I am beginning to doubt if the Xsight 'forgets' its learning. I had to re-learn many of my Humax buttons despite them working first but they later ceased to work completely in IR and RF modes. It is not a problem with my Dune media player or Panasonic TV and the learns have stayed true. I am investigating it now. As soon as I learn a function new on the Xsight, I am now immediately transferring it online and then downloading back to remote. It seems Ok now.

Anyway for the most part I am quite happy with Xsight 18. I intend to get another one as a backup if it is is below $50 and I have these minor niggles sorted out.
post #569 of 846 Old 04-24-2012, 03:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve.black View Post

...As soon as I learn a function new on the Xsight, I am now immediately transferring it online and then downloading back to remote...

Good advice. Always log out after a learning session, log back in and upload. Otherwise your learns will be wiped out. Many of us have learned this the hard way.
post #570 of 846 Old 04-24-2012, 05:45 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Where do you guys keep the antenna? Mine is on the stack in cabinet right in front of me, no walls or anything. Just built ins. The stack is a Denon AVR, Blue Ray, Cable STB, then apple Tv and the antenna side by side. I guess I could put the antenna below the TV out of cabinet but that defeats the point right?

I love having remote, and honestly even with missing signals would not drag all the stuff out of the cabinet again, it looks much better now and I am happy I have it. Just wished the signals were a little more foolproof. Just got done trying to mess with Photostream on Apple TV and had my arm in the air for 10 minutes. No idea why that seems to be the solution...but my wife is right, even though I tell her that is not how it works. Sucks when that happens!
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Acoustic Research , Harmony 1100 Remcontrol , Remotes And Controllers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page