Acoustic Research XSight Remote - Page 26 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 11Likes

post #751 of 849 Old 06-26-2014, 07:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone have an extra cd-rom for sale for the 18? Just purchased one with no cd. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #752 of 849 Old 06-26-2014, 08:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 553 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtb50 View Post
Does anyone have an extra cd-rom for sale for the 18? Just purchased one with no cd. Thanks.
How about free? This is all you need to program via the EZ-RC website:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dl...&file_id=11937

Or better yet, skip that and use Remote Master instead.

One caveat is many of us have had trouble programming in Win 8.1 (worked fine in 8 and earlier).
post #753 of 849 Old 06-27-2014, 02:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
How about free? This is all you need to program via the EZ-RC website:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dl...&file_id=11937

Or better yet, skip that and use Remote Master instead.

One caveat is many of us have had trouble programming in Win 8.1 (worked fine in 8 and earlier).
Thank you very much
post #754 of 849 Old 08-07-2014, 04:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

If you've upgraded to Windows 8.1 and can no longer download to or upload from your Xsight or Nevo remote, here's the fix (thanks eXim82):

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dl...&file_id=12673

Windows 8.1 apparently has a new USB power management "feature" that causes the Xsight to disconnect immediately. The above registry change disables it just for the Xsight, restoring full functionality.
post #755 of 849 Old 08-15-2014, 02:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Xsight Touch disassembly?

Hello,

Has anyone here taken apart their Xsight Touch? I'd like to be able to fix the unresponsive Enter and Up buttons (Seriously, I have two Touches with dead Up buttons, is this a design flaw or what?).

I've taken the screws out of the battery compartment, and unsnapped the rubbery plastic pieces in the middle, and I can KIND OF unsnap the case at the bottom. What I can't do is unsnap the back from a clear plastic piece in the front that's usually covered by that rubbery plastic.

And of course I'm worried that I'll damage the LCD cable, since it must go across the two halves of the remote.

Thanks in advance to anyone that's actually accomplished this.
post #756 of 849 Old 08-28-2014, 05:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked: 633
I have two questions:

1) Are these units on ebay for ~$30 shipped from China really legit, fully functioning remotes?

2) Can the remote be completely programmed from scratch with RM-IR or is it more for tweaking the remote after using the EZ-RC software?
post #757 of 849 Old 08-28-2014, 06:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I actually bought one of these on Ebay to have as a spare. It does not come in the factory box and includes only what you see in the photo; the remote with battery, usb cord, and the charger with wall wort. You don't get the factory box, CD, or any instructions.

Other than that, I can't tell the difference between the original remote I bought and this one from Ebay. I plugged the remote into my laptop and opened EZ-RC. It did a quick update, and I was able to download my programming into the new remote getting an exact clone of my current remote.

I actually recommended this to a friend and coworker. The coworker bought one about a week ago, and other than a learning curve of it being his first universal remote, everything is as it should be.
post #758 of 849 Old 08-28-2014, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I have bought several from several of the China dealers. No major problems with any of them. On one the rubber was a bit sticky, but the 'ol talcum powder trick fixed it up.

xnappo
post #759 of 849 Old 08-28-2014, 10:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
Can the remote be completely programmed from scratch with RM-IR or is it more for tweaking the remote after using the EZ-RC software?
Yes, completely from scratch. Main benefits of RM-IR are as many different copies of local configs as you want, import devices from JP1 database, build new devices from learns, import pronto hex (from remotecentral and other sources) and more quickly and easily edit buttons and macros. Plus it won't matter if the EZ-RC site is ever taken down.

I highly recommend RM-IR. Making it work with Xsight was a huge undertaking, and all that hard work has paid off. It works beautifully.

Last edited by mdavej; 08-28-2014 at 07:26 PM.
post #760 of 849 Old 08-28-2014, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

I agree with mdavej - but I do usually connect them to EZ-RC once just to get the firmware updated.
post #761 of 849 Old 08-30-2014, 01:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked: 633
Thanks for the replies guys. I plan to pick one up from ebay and give it a whirl. For ~$30 I figure I can risk my not liking it.
post #762 of 849 Old 09-04-2014, 12:32 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have just added two new Samsung 32 in tv's above my 67 in Samsung in my basement(3 Samsung tvs), have a Sony blu-ray, and a Sony audio system/receiver. All tvs are on DirectTv. 2 of the three receivers are behind the wall with the DVR being under the tv. I want to be able to control all 3 tvs and receivers thru RF with one remote. I have Harmony one and a Harmony 300(using it now) but they don't do RF.

Would the Xsight ARRX18G and adding the RF extender be my best (under $100's of dollars) option to control all devices? I currently have to use 3 remotes(2 if I'm just watching tv).
post #763 of 849 Old 09-04-2014, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkupike2000 View Post
I have just added two new Samsung 32 in tv's above my 67 in Samsung in my basement(3 Samsung tvs), have a Sony blu-ray, and a Sony audio system/receiver. All tvs are on DirectTv. 2 of the three receivers are behind the wall with the DVR being under the tv. I want to be able to control all 3 tvs and receivers thru RF with one remote. I have Harmony one and a Harmony 300(using it now) but they don't do RF.

Would the Xsight ARRX18G and adding the RF extender be my best (under $100's of dollars) option to control all devices? I currently have to use 3 remotes(2 if I'm just watching tv).
Sounds like a good fit to me..

xnappo
post #764 of 849 Old 09-04-2014, 04:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

What models are the DirecTV boxes?
wkupike2000 likes this.
post #765 of 849 Old 09-06-2014, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just picked up an Xsight Touch. What's the best strategy for programming it with RM-IR? EZ-RC first or start from scratch with RM-IR? I've already upgraded the firmware and installed RM-IR.

Here are the devices I want to program.

JVC RS45 projector
Integra DHC 9.9 pre/pro
DirecTV HR24 DVR (RF)
Oppo BDP-93 bluray player
Dune Smart D1 media player
Lutron spacer lighting controller
Eagle Aspen antenna rotator
MiniDsp 10x10HD
post #766 of 849 Old 09-07-2014, 07:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Do as much as you can in EZ-RC first. RM has a bit of a learning curve. Don't forget to enable RF for DirecTV on the remote itself. Requires a code from the orig remote IIRC. Then search the JP1 file section for devices EZ-RC didn't have.
wkupike2000 likes this.
post #767 of 849 Old 09-07-2014, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks, most of my devices were on EZ-RC. Had some trouble with the DirecTV RF DVR trying to figure out the code and enabling RF on the remote. There's 2 different settings, 1 for RF in general and another for DirecTV RF.
post #768 of 849 Old 09-07-2014, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Does anyone know if the Xsight RF Extender has a built-in IR blaster or does it only work using the extender cable?
post #769 of 849 Old 09-07-2014, 11:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
Does anyone know if the Xsight RF Extender has a built-in IR blaster or does it only work using the extender cable?
The unit itself is a blaster, 3 powerful ones in the front covering 180 degrees.
wkupike2000 likes this.
post #770 of 849 Old 09-11-2014, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
What is the weight of this remote?

It looks good but I can't find this info anywhere...
post #771 of 849 Old 09-11-2014, 03:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by juniperpansy View Post
What is the weight of this remote?

It looks good but I can't find this info anywhere...
6.6 oz with battery, 5.6 without.
post #772 of 849 Old 09-19-2014, 01:57 PM

Quote:
What models are the DirecTV boxes?
Sorry I've been out of the country on vacation. I bought the remote but haven't programmed it for RF yet. The funny thing was last night I programmed my devices but only my DVR box since other two are hidden behind wall(3 Samsung tvs for football/sports, sony blu ray, Sony audio system, and 3 DirecTv boxes: HR24-100 DVR, H25-100, and Genie Mini C41-100). After programming evereything, the commands to control the DirecTv DVR so I could watch my main tv, the commands were controlling the Genie Mini that's behind the wall too.

Anyways, I have the RF Extender on order but now I'm wondering if I even need it?
Also, the RF Extender won't solve this problem will it: All three tvs(Two 32 in's mounted over a 67 in) are Samsung so any Samsung command controls them all). That's fine for turning off and on but not when I want to turn volume up on one of the 32 in's(sound for 67 in is thru the Recer). After ordering the RF Extender I realized that it doesn't allow me to specify which command is going to which IR LED extender.
post #773 of 849 Old 09-19-2014, 02:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^
The Xsight will control all your DirecTV boxes except the Genie directly by RF, no base required. But the catch is you can only pair one of them. The rest must use IR directly or via the base. If you have several boxes in the same place, you can simply change their addresses.

You are correct that RF won't solve your identical TV issue. May need to get a Harmony instead.

I have no idea how IR is working through walls. Maybe it's bouncing off something?
wkupike2000 likes this.
post #774 of 849 Old 09-19-2014, 02:43 PM

Interesting, so I need the RF extender in order to control all 3(dvr by RF and two others by IR extenders). I don't understand the changing addresses part. Do I have to worry about that if they are both behind a wall using the extenders?

Harmony is too expensive for my taste so I'll figure out the tvs. I may find some cheap sound bars or something.
post #775 of 849 Old 09-19-2014, 09:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Interesting, so I need the RF extender in order to control all 3(dvr by RF and two others by IR extenders). I don't understand the changing addresses part. Do I have to worry about that if they are both behind a wall using the extenders?

Harmony is too expensive for my taste so I'll figure out the tvs. I may find some cheap sound bars or something.
I thought you said everything was working behind the wall without the extender already. If you're happy, keep what you've got. But if I were trying to individually control a stack of a half dozen DVRs, I'd give them all unique addresses. Otherwise you've got the same problem you have with that wall full of Samsung TVs.
wkupike2000 likes this.
post #776 of 849 Old 09-20-2014, 04:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 26
mdavej, when the xsight was released people were upset because first they found out they could only have one RF Directv receiver married to the xsight remote And second they couldn't have any other Sat receiver, even if set to IR, just one sat receiver per remote. Is this still true?
post #777 of 849 Old 09-20-2014, 06:04 AM

Quote:
I thought you said everything was working behind the wall without the extender already. If you're happy, keep what you've got. But if I were trying to individually control a stack of a half dozen DVRs, I'd give them all unique addresses. Otherwise you've got the same problem you have with that wall full of Samsung TVs.
Sorry was typing on phone and should have elaborated. The extender will arrive today and everything is not working right now. Currently the Xsight is set to have RF off and I can only control the 1 DirectTv box(DVR) which is in sight. It must have been some bounce that accidentally controlled the Mini the night before. So I have two boxes, the regular and the mini behind a wall that I need to control as well. That way if I want to change one of the two small tvs, I guess I setup another activity or just click on the devices to change the channel on those boxes.

That being said, I'm a noob so I have no idea what you mean with "give them unique addresses". I don't even know where I'd find there addresses or how to assign them(in the remote online setup?) I'm guessing I setup the extender, turn RF on so it can control the DVR that's not behind the wall, setup the two behind the wall to IR using the extender, and give them unique addresses. Can you explain how to do that(especially the address part)? Thanks!
post #778 of 849 Old 09-20-2014, 09:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund View Post
mdavej, when the xsight was released people were upset because first they found out they could only have one RF Directv receiver married to the xsight remote And second they couldn't have any other Sat receiver, even if set to IR, just one sat receiver per remote. Is this still true?
Maybe that's a limitation in EZ-RC (the web remote config site). But in RM you can have as many sat devices as you want.
post #779 of 849 Old 09-20-2014, 09:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Sorry was typing on phone and should have elaborated. The extender will arrive today and everything is not working right now. Currently the Xsight is set to have RF off and I can only control the 1 DirectTv box(DVR) which is in sight. It must have been some bounce that accidentally controlled the Mini the night before. So I have two boxes, the regular and the mini behind a wall that I need to control as well. That way if I want to change one of the two small tvs, I guess I setup another activity or just click on the devices to change the channel on those boxes.

That being said, I'm a noob so I have no idea what you mean with "give them unique addresses". I don't even know where I'd find there addresses or how to assign them(in the remote online setup?) I'm guessing I setup the extender, turn RF on so it can control the DVR that's not behind the wall, setup the two behind the wall to IR using the extender, and give them unique addresses. Can you explain how to do that(especially the address part)? Thanks!
Edmund, can you handle that one? I haven't had DirecTV in years and don't know how to change addresses on a Genie or Mini.

Generally, you'll want to enable RF to control anything out of sight. Identical devices you want to control separately need unique addresses. This is changed in the menus of your DirecTV receiver and the original DirecTV remote. Then you either need to learn every command for the new address or use Remote Master and load the appropriate device with the address you want.

No matter what, all this is still going to be awkward to control with one remote. If I were you, I'd just use a couple of DirecTV remotes. Several TVs in the same room is kind of an unusual situation and not one that most universal remotes are designed for.
wkupike2000 likes this.
post #780 of 849 Old 09-20-2014, 04:12 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
A bit OT but earlier in the thread people were complaining of buttons that stopped working after too much use.
There appears to be a solution:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php...533#pid1381533
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Acoustic Research , Harmony 1100 Remcontrol , Remotes And Controllers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page